Please use our links: LEGO.com • Amazon
Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
So, yes, it's legit.
@thefew - I'm liking mine so far. It's getting a lot of use, eg
- playing music as we don't have another method to play other than laptops (we have an echo, rather than an echo dot - not sure the dot is good for playing music but can be linked to other speakers). We already had uploaded all our CD music to Amazon Music and get access to something like 1-2million other tracks included with Prime, so no need at the moment to purchase the additional subscription to get access to over 10 million tracks.
- creating to-do and shopping lists
- bus time updates (asking when the next bus is at the stops outside our house)
- controlling a plug socket [I've got a multi-coloured, dimable lightbulb on the way to try that out too - if these additional items work well, we'll get more]
- playing quizes, including multiplayer quizes
- asking about local shop opening hours
- asking for news and weather updates
I can also add 'controlling my Brickset owned and wish lists' as well and I'm sure we'll discover more things :D
A lot of these things require an initial set up, but once done, it's all good to control by speaking to it.
The most useful function is the ability to control it all with your voice, means I can cook or my daughter can paint and get messy and still ask for different songs.
Looking at the list of things it can do, the only thing i think i would use is perhaps get it to read audio books... if i can find a source of free content.
I guess i will have to do some research online before deciding if i flog it on.
There's a mute button on the top (glows red when activated), so if you're concerned about it listening in, just hit that.
Do I get use out of it? Absolutely. Would I buy another? Probably not.
Why not get it set up and give it a whirl. If you don't like it, you can re-set to factory settings and sell it to someone else (see link below):
I am just so overwhelmed by Lego at the moment (bricklink sales, general sorting and a pile of stuff to build) that I never get closer to that little blue box :-)