Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Benefits of the Exclusive Millennium Falcon VIP Card

Comments

• HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    @Hanzo - The fundamental principle of public relations is to disappoint as few people as possible. In this instance, there are probably more people who do not have a black VIP card than those who do, hence LEGO's decision to risk upsetting the people with black VIP cards rather than angering those who missed out because of insufficient stock.

Furthermore, I think producing exclusive products which some people cannot access, through no fault of their own, might cause more anger than scaling back the benefits offered by the black VIP card. The distribution of exclusive items at San Diego Comic-Con, among other events, is already a divisive issue among LEGO fans and I imagine those complaints would be amplified greatly if LEGO was to announce an exclusive minifigure, or the like, for holders of the black VIP card.
    We'll just have to agree to disagree here.  Yes, you want to limit the group size you anger, but your average LEGO customer has no idea what the black VIP card even is.  This issue exists only in the AFOL/collector world, which is a small part of their business.  I'd be interested to know how many people missed out on buying during the black VIP window vs. the number sold during the same period.
    oldtodd33
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 906
    It's a bit like a crowdfunding project that was so unexpectedly popular that the company looking for funding just decided not to give out the rewards promised (or in Lego's case, implied).
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,841
    edited October 2018
    Was the inability to secure a black VIP card while willing to pay out on day 1 mainly a USA issue? I missed out on ordering on day 1 in the 10 minute official window was open and was able to place an order less than a week later and got mine in October, loads of time to claim a black card.

I seem to remember reading about lots of American customers really struggling to secure theirs months down the line.

Barely legal is still pretty shady in my book. It's been a shambles. People expected to get something meaningful and exclusive out of the promotion  in exchange for buying with no promotion, and they've been seriously let down.

From a public relations point of view, surely the people you want to piss off the least are those willing to shell out that kind of money on one set and knew they'd bought it within the intended time-frame for black card eligibility.
    gmonkey76LobotMr_Cross
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 945
    edited October 2018
    @Hanzo - The fundamental principle of public relations is to disappoint as few people as possible. In this instance, there are probably more people who do not have a black VIP card than those who do, hence LEGO's decision to risk upsetting the people with black VIP cards rather than angering those who missed out because of insufficient stock.

Furthermore, I think producing exclusive products which some people cannot access, through no fault of their own, might cause more anger than scaling back the benefits offered by the black VIP card. The distribution of exclusive items at San Diego Comic-Con, among other events, is already a divisive issue among LEGO fans and I imagine those complaints would be amplified greatly if LEGO was to announce an exclusive minifigure, or the like, for holders of the black VIP card.

If that's true, it's odd that LEGO have decided to apply this policy to customers who've purchased their most expensive product.... yet they seem totally happy to continue with limited editions/availability elsewhere (e.g. Exclusive T Rex, Percival Graves etc)!

In all honesty, I've been extremely disappointed by LEGO's handling of the release of the UCS Falcon; firstly in the massive pre-hyping, the decision to allow multiple purchases on the first day of release (combined with a dismal website)… and, as others have said, the mediocre benefits which we've 'enjoyed' in 2018.

I've spent a lot of money at [email protected] in the last 8-9 years, and I'm beginning to wonder why.... a couple of weeks ago I could have purchased a #75192 for £130 less than I paid, from a friendly UK company who seem to appreciate their customers.

Perhaps it's time that everyone voted with their wallets - I'm tempted.

Mr_Crossomniumgmonkey76ryjaymonkeyhangerRainstorm26
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,421
    edited October 2018
    I'm seriously considering returning my Falcon. I've also spent a considerable sum with Lego, my life time spend  with them is enough to buy a new truck. I'll have to change my priorities in spending my disposable income from here on out. 
    LobotMr_CrossMorkMan
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,960
    Whatever way this had played out it was going to piss one group or another off but at the end of the day, what can you do? 

I understand why people are miffed at LEGO as there have been better giveaways throughout the year without even needing a VIP card (60 years set, Hans Christian Andersen book build to name two).
    I also don't mind admitting that I'm disappointed with the lack of promotions that having the Black card were hinted at card holders getting (I believe the words "year of Star Wars related promotions" was used at some point) and have informed Lego C.S. as such.

According to the C.S. rep, I have been one of many that has also done so.

Of course it would have been nice to get double VIP points or a good discount on the set at a later date as opposed to what has been offered for the promotions, but I made a choice at the time and there's not a whole lot I can do about it now.
    Yes it turns out it was not the most cost effective way to buy this set, but do I regret it, hell no.

If it had been store exclusive for it's entire shelf life with no available discount, I would still have purchased it regardless, it's really is an amazing set and one I'm proud to own.
    Mr_CrossLobotsnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,099
    Legoboy said:
    What they’ve done borders fraudulent and certainly mis-description in my book but I suspect they have taken advice and have placed themselves barely on what their lawyers consider legally acceptable.  I’d love for a legal mind (sumo) to test it.
    There is a wide gulf between failing everyone's reasonable expectations and violating a legal duty that would give rise to actionable damages.

It's not fraud.  On a base level, they did offer a few exclusive benefits - so there is no tangible cause of action.  But do we all agree this promotion stinks and ought to be remedied for those that did pony up at the beginning and qualify for Black VIP status?  Yes, of course they should.

Fraud, in most jurisdictions, is taking money on the basis of a misrepresentation or material omission.  As I noted above, the money is being paid for the product, not the promise of potential future freebies.  It'd be different if we were buying a subscription to a monthy 'freebie' and then received nothing.  
    Mr_CrossCapnRex101gmonkey76Baby_YodaSprinkleOtterLobotAstrobricksstluxsnowhitie
    oldtodd33 said:
    I'm seriously considering returning my Falcon. I've also spent a considerable sum with Lego, my life time spend  with them is enough to buy a new truck. I'll have to change my priorities in spending my disposable income from here on out. 
    You should consider buying death sticks.  Or going home and rethinking your life.
    Muftak1gmonkey76Baby_YodaMr_CrossSprinkleOtterLobotBumblepantsstlux
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,421
    I'm certainly rethinking my Lego spending. As far as drugs go, that is a real waste of money. At least, I will make a profit on selling my opened non-returned Lego. 
    gmonkey76SprinkleOtterMorkMan
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 501
    SumoLego said:
    You should consider buying death sticks.  Or going home and rethinking your life.
    Poor old Elan Sel'Sabagno.
    SumoLegogmonkey76Mr_Crossdmcc0
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 792
    edited October 2018
    I think producing exclusive products which some people cannot access, through no fault of their own, might cause more anger than scaling back the benefits offered by the black VIP card.
    This, unfortunately, is no excuse for why TLG didn't offer, say 2 more Black VIP double points promos and 1 or 2 Black VIP triple points promos throughout the year. Likewise with a few select discounts for Black VIPs, particularly for slightly older sets. Or simply more exclusive poster designs. I don't think offering any of these things would've annoyed non-Black VIP members significantly because there are no exclusive sets or minifigs involved - but the members ourselves would have had more than we did. It could've been (slightly more of) a win-win in comparison to the end result.
    gmonkey76Bumblepants
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 501
    When was the first Black card promotion? Wasn't it end of first quarter or later? For Lego to do a Year or Star Wars promotions, they'll have to keep going until then in 2019...

• obi_gobi_g BlightyMember Posts: 512
    edited October 2018
    my frustration is that the only truly exclusive item in the "year" of promotions was the chance to win a one of a kind white-gold r2 (- well done @samiam391 :) -)
    everything else seemed to be available to everyone, often regardless of whether you had a black or normal vip card.
    this doesnt feel like the actions of a company doing something for fans that decided not to stick their falgship product on ebay for double the price...
    gmonkey76
  • flimflamflimflam EdinburghMember Posts: 8
    Faced with a choice of angering 2 sets of people, Lego, in their wisdom, decided to anger the set of people who managed to purchase the most expensive product they had ever put to market.

That is terrible customer care imho.
    Lobotgmonkey76
    A good win/win year-end promo would be a big discount or a crapload of VIP points for purchasing the Bespin set. That thing really doesn't seem to be selling well and it would help Lego shift a bit of stock and may be enough to appease a chunk of the black VIP holders. I'd be tempted with 4x VIP on top of one of the Xmas freebies.
    LobotBaby_YodaMr_Cross
    oldtodd33 said:
    Without trying to be rude. What you're saying is that money is more important than integrity. 
    That is not my personal opinion but LEGO's actions make financial sense. Their options were as follows:
    • Extend the promotion and produce more exclusive products to meet demand.
    • Give out the existing exclusive products to holders of black VIP cards, thereby potentially frustrating those who missed out because #75192 was unavailable.
    • Lessen the benefits for holders of black VIP cards, potentially frustrating those people but minimising the irritation of those who missed out.
    It seems very likely that more people tried to purchase #75192 during the promotion, but were unable to do so, than those who have black VIP cards. On that basis, I do not agree with the integrity of LEGO's actions but they do seem logical in my opinion.
    Hanzo said:
    <Snip>
    We'll just have to agree to disagree here.  Yes, you want to limit the group size you anger, but your average LEGO customer has no idea what the black VIP card even is.  This issue exists only in the AFOL/collector world, which is a small part of their business.  I'd be interested to know how many people missed out on buying during the black VIP window vs. the number sold during the same period.
    I was referring to the customers who wanted to purchase #75192 Millennium Falcon and acquire the black VIP card but were unable to so because it was out of stock, not general consumers who had no interest in the card.

As I understand, LEGO produced a quantity of #75192 that was expected to last until the end of 2017 but that quantity sold out within the first two days of sale. It therefore seems quite likely that the number of people who wanted to purchase the set but were unable to do so outweighs the number who succeeded.
    Lobot said:
    <Snip>

If that's true, it's odd that LEGO have decided to apply this policy to customers who've purchased their most expensive product.... yet they seem totally happy to continue with limited editions/availability elsewhere (e.g. Exclusive T Rex, Percival Graves etc)!

I agree. LEGO has run successful promotions with chase minifigures that drove sales in the past, the most notable example being Mr Gold. However, the distribution of Percival Graves remains a total mystery to me. There was no marketing about one minifigure being rarer than the others so its only obvious accomplishment has been to frustrate fans.

The difference between those examples and the black VIP card is that LEGO's failure to anticipate demand is directly responsible for many people missing out on the black VIP card. Percival Graves, on the other hand, is presumably a bizarre marketing tactic that I do not fully understand rather than an unintentional error.
    I think producing exclusive products which some people cannot access, through no fault of their own, might cause more anger than scaling back the benefits offered by the black VIP card.
    This, unfortunately, is no excuse for why TLG didn't offer, say 2 more Black VIP double points promos and 1 or 2 Black VIP triple points promos throughout the year. Likewise with a few select discounts for Black VIPs, particularly for slightly older sets. Or simply more exclusive poster designs. I don't think offering any of these things would've annoyed non-Black VIP members significantly because there are no exclusive sets or minifigs involved - but the members ourselves would have had more than we did. It could've been (slightly more of) a win-win in comparison to the end result.
    Once again, I am in complete agreement. There are numerous offers that LEGO could have run which might have alleviated some fans' frustration. Double or triple VIP points and further exclusive posters are perfect examples.

I am certainly not trying to excuse LEGO's actions and agree that a lot more should have been done to satisfy those with black VIP cards, myself included. However, I think we can rationalise their actions to some degree, despite not agreeing with them.
    My point was they'd only be angering a small portion of an already small group.  I don't know a lot about the backorder process, but they should have allowed orders to be placed during the black VIP timeframe, if you ordered during it you'd be eventually guaranteed a Falcon and you'd be in the black VIP club.  Simple as that. Fill the backorders as production allowed.

I just refuse to believe if they did that and had to do promos for all those people it would have been a financial detriment to them.
    SumoLegooldtodd33gmonkey76ryjay
    edited October 2018
    Or, the promotion is only open to the first ______ that are able to order the set.  Early bird gets the worm!  

I think people understand that?
    Hanzo said:
    I just refuse to believe if they did that and had to do promos for all those people it would have been a financial detriment to them.
    It clearly isn't.  They're the world's leading toy manufacturer.
    gmonkey76datsunrobbieHanzo
    SumoLego said:
    Or, the promotion is only open to the first ______ that are able to order the set.  Early bird gets the worm!  

I think people understand that?
    Hanzo said:
    It clearly isn't.  They're the world's leading toy manufacturer.
    Of course, there are tons of exclusive deals out there, it's nothing new to people.

I just meant even if they had to do great promos for every single person that bought a Falcon they'd be fine....I mean the barrier of entry here is a fraking $800 purchase.
    SumoLegogmonkey76obi_g
    Yes - I totally agree.  Even 'bonus' VIP points would still require people to buy more of their product!
    Hanzogmonkey76Baby_Yodakbw
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    edited October 2018
    Why do we think Lego offered the VIP card in the first place?  Something had to be going on in someones mind at Lego to move out the initial sets as quickly as possible....did someone at Lego doubt it was going to sell?
  • MachONEMachONE USMember Posts: 37
    I too got a personalized email response saying the year was not over yet, and they still have something planned.  They responded to many of the concerns I emailed them regarding the promotion. I'm not holding me breath, but it was nice of the rep to take the time.
    The_Rancor
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,965

I think that is why an exclusive figure built from non-exclusive parts could work. If you keep it in the packaging, it is valuable. But others can build it from relatively cheap parts if they want the figure.

Or do what they did with LOTR, and put out future figures in exclusive packaging. Black card holders could get a figure from next year's line now, and regular customers could buy it next year.

omniumgmonkey76Baby_Yoda
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 780
    @CCC, exactly! TLG aren't afraid of making "exclusive" items I'll never be able to own, so I don't see what's different here.
    gmonkey76Mr_Cross
    Just give me a white rangefinder and all will be forgiven.
    Genius!
    gmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    Instead... we get a half-baked smattering of promises and non-exclusive promos.  (And one substantial giveaway.)
    Atleast with the Bat-Pod promo, there was no purchase necessary, so the few of us that didn't get one can't complain...
    gmonkey76
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 373
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    Instead... we get a half-baked smattering of promises and non-exclusive promos.  (And one substantial giveaway.)
    Atleast with the Bat-Pod promo, there was no purchase necessary, so the few of us that didn't get one can't complain...
    BatPod promo? Was there one, I had to buy from ToysRUs here n the UK, or, one free with a certain spend. Thought they were commonplace in US?
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    colay said:
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    BatPod promo? Was there one, I had to buy from ToysRUs here n the UK, or, one free with a certain spend. Thought they were commonplace in US?
    I think @SumoLego was referring to this..

Not this..

SumoLegoBumblepantsAstrobricksgmonkey76FowlerBricksRainstorm26
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 324
    ^ and the thing about the Bat-Pod is that, like others have suggested, it can be built with pieces out of your own inventory of via BL and B&P if necessary for a not-backbreaking cost, especially as the tires have been used in sets beyond only the Tumbler. 
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,511
    Thanks @bandit778. That clears things up considerably.
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 945
    Just give me a white rangefinder and all will be forgiven.
    How about a Limited Edition (snowy) White Mynock - an ideal festive thankyou from TLG!!
    gmonkey76
  • colaycolay OxfordshireMember Posts: 373
    edited October 2018

bandit778 said:
    colay said:
    SumoLego said:
    SumoLego said:
    I think @SumoLego was referring to this..

Not this..

Okay, thank you. Didnt know about that one. Now I want one. Who do I complain to that I didnt get one?! :)
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 452
    colay said:

Okay, thank you. Didnt know about that one. Now I want one. Who do I complain to that I didnt get one?! :)
    Ooooh, I remember plenty of complaints in the thread for it.  ;)

Coincidentally, I felt a strong sense of deja vu when this thread started gaining traction and remembered all the people complaining of not winning a Bat-Pod even though they bought a Tumbler (or two) to qualify.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,965
    I'm still waiting for Lepin to do a black VIP card. They could probably knock them out at $2 a piece. And we can all have #0001.
    obi_gdmcc0Oldfan
    Rumour has it the year-end promo is going to be all the parts to change it to a white and blue Solo version of the MilF complete with storage compartment to go between the mandibles.*

*I may have made this up.
    FollowsCloselyBooTheMightyHamsterSumoLegoBaby_Yoda
    So in conclusion, this debacle combined with some other recent events have caused my usual favorable opinion of Lego as a company to become more neutral despite still enjoying their product. 
    And this is exactly why LEGO ought to whip up some sort of actual promotion to smooth over some of the disappointment.
    bandit778Mr_Crossgmonkey76
  • The_RancorThe_Rancor Dorset, UKMember Posts: 792
    edited October 2018
    colay said:
    As stated in this (or another thread) I badgered my lego stores every friday and monday about deliveries and when they said one was in, I sped (as fast as speed limits allowed) to that store to collect. There was an opportunity for people to do the same, but I went  out of my way to get it
    I totally agree with everything you said, but at least you have a Lego Store within a reasonable distance. I had to do the equivalent 'commitment' digitally and actually got questioned by my boss multiple times why I kept checking the Lego website during work hours - but it paid off and after pressing refresh the 873rd time I got my order in during the very first 'backorder' wave. I'm still seething that they let people buy 3 Falcons on launch in the UK - what the hell are you going to do with 3 other than sell at least 2 of them?! I think USA had a 1 max cap so it was very odd there wasn't one here as well.

I've already said how I feel about buying from Lego directly, but I'll be doing it even less if I can't trust promotions like this and get a far better deal (and possibly better customer service) elsewhere. It's a shame really because a lot of the people that make the business work and create the sets are great - but their marketing/pricing departments have not been getting it right so often lately. It's not putting me off Lego as a whole but it's definitely... frustrating.

For people wanting answers, I think we will reach a point near the end of this year or going into the next one where time's run out for the 'year of benefits' and TLG might be more compelled to say something, particularly after the Xmas sales period.
    sonatine01
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,020
    I honestly don't see what their difficulty is in producing some kind of benefit that I'd be interested in...
    • TK421 and scanning crew (no new parts needed)
    • Nien Nunb and Lando (ideally one new head mould needed, could be re-used subsequently in a system scale RotJ MF)
    • Alternate versions of Luke, R2-D2 and Obi-wan (no new parts needed)
    • Chewie and the Porg campfire (no new parts needed)
    • Han's dice - brick built (no new parts needed)
    ...or if "giving away" actual real LEGO parts is a problem for some bizarre reason, I'd even be interested in the 'tat' side of things...
    • Commemorative book in a slipcase
    • Vinyl wallet for your Black VIP card
    • keyring
    you'd need too many to fit #75192 on top of but...
    • Dual sided card base (playmat) in the style of #853840 side one: Death star docking bay. side two: Docking bay 94 
    I'd even be interested in something stupid like a dust cover for the model.

What about the good old promotional standby of a T-shirt (ask me about my MilF, honey have you seen my 75192? What a Hunk of Junk.)?

Any of that, mixed with postcards/posters, double points on SW purchases, as previously suggested above.

As I pointed out in my message to TLG, their promotions team/s are more than capable of producing highly desireable items for comic conventions. So why not for the legion of loyal fans who actually spent lots of money (time and effort) and bought the product and who're even now poised and ready to spend yet more if given the opportunity.

For what it's worth, for the effort of emailing them, I got 200 VIP points (which I think is their standard response to valid complaints) and they also sent me a polybag and a minifigure keyring. So, nowhere close to equalling the double points or the discounts we have now seen available, but they really weren't obliged to do anything. I think I can live with that, but I'm still hoping there is at least one worthwhile promotion coming.

In the end, I made the purchase, no one made me do it, the very most I could say was that FOMO was to blame.
    Baby_YodaomniumThe_Rancorbandit778datsunrobbieLobotHanzomaaaaaaaLittleLori
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,247
    Mr_Cross said:
    What about the good old promotional standby of a T-shirt (ask me about my MilF
    Seconded. There's a guy I know with #75192 and it's so much fun asking him loudly in public how his MilF is doing.
    Yo_dA
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 780
    I knew I should have trademarked "MilF" :-D
    Mr_CrossBaby_Yoda
    colay said:
    bandit778 said:
    Mr_Cross said:
    What about the good old promotional standby of a T-shirt 
    Brilliant idea....
    Ideal T-Shirt Print, Front: 'I joined the Exclusive Black VIP Card Members Club'
                                  Back: 'And all I got was this lousy T-Shirt'
    :)
    Fixed it for you :)

Front: 'I joined the Exclusive Black VIP Card Members Club'
                                  Back: 'And I didn't even get this lousy T-Shirt'
    Yeah but I already had one of those but can't show you as I didn't get it.  :p
    colaystlux560HeliportMr_CrossSumoLegomaaaaaaaBaby_Yodasid3windr
  • pgeorgepgeorge Brussels | SpainMember Posts: 10
    Hi there!

my 2-cents on this topic. Just talked with CS over the phone and told me that the promotion is over and they are not gonna offer anything more. It's a shame that this promotion had potential and at the end all the offers were not enough or disappointing.
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 509
    edited October 2018
    For me, if the marketing dept had a real love for LEGO and what the UCS MF actually means to a LEGO fan, then they wouldn’t have underestimated this promotion, price didn’t even come in to the equation for people who wanted it direct from LEGO. And the Black VIP should have rewarded them for this..
    With this injustice, and the fact that they re-released the Taj Mahal brick for brick, made me re-think my direct LEGO buying, and after reading the above posts I checked my [email protected] LEGO account today, and can see I haven’t ordered anything since April.
    In fact the only new LEGO sets I’ve purchased since April are the SDCC ones.. 
    Mr_CrossLegoboy