Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Collectable Minifigure Series Ideas

Comments

• Gibbo1959Gibbo1959 Northumbria UKMember Posts: 306
    @CCC I’d buy them all!
    SumoLego
  • SearchlightRGSearchlightRG AmericaMember Posts: 217
    In light of some sad absences from the Ninjago City Docks:

*At least one variant of each Ninja (more obligatory than necessary)
    *Fuschia Ninja
    *Shark Army Narwhal 
    *IT Nerds (punk, Afro, and balding)
    *Sergeant Mazu
    *Captain Oroku
    *Assorted Generals
    FizyxFowlerBricksKLOKRIECHER
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,159
    Yeah I am surprised they didn't do the Fuschia Ninja somewhere.
    Fizyx
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 388

I like the City animals idea.  I've bought numerous copies of previous CMFs just for the animal they came with.  I would buy a LOT of animals.

Brixfan02
    Based on Ninjago: Sons of Garmdon (only the first three episodes or so though-don't care for the rest):
    • Cole (disguise or mountain climber)
    • Nya (water carrier)
    • Lloyd (hoodie)
    • Variants of the other three Ninja; can't think of any
    • Harumi (hoodie, no makeup)
    • Emperor of Ninjago
    • Empress of Ninjago
    • Ninjago Royal Guard
    • Hutchins (with hairpiece and hopefully a more show accurate staff)
    • Green Mask Thief (Mr. E)
    • Black Mask Thief
    • Red Mask Thief
    • Blue Mask Thief
    • White Mask Thief
    • Gray Mask Thief (Luke Cunnigham-hairpiece is a must)
    • Dareth (Bartender)
    • Throw in a couple Sons of Garmadon (or Daughters)
    FowlerBricksKLOKRIECHER
    Big Hero 6
    • Baymax (Armored and Unarmored-probably better as a bigfig)
    • Hiro (A&U)
    • Honey Lemon (A&U)
    • Wasabi (A&U)
    • Go-Go (A&U)
    • Fred (A&U)
    • Callaghan
    • Yokai
    • Heathcliff
    • Alistair Krei
    • Tadashi
    • Aunt Cass
    • Yama
    • Stan Lee/Fred's Dad
    This is based on the film only; have to wait for more of the cartoon to air before I would suggest minifigs based on it's characters.

FizyxFowlerBricksKLOKRIECHER
    Man, been nearly a year since anyone has posted in this thread. Surprisingly, I think a number of proposed figures have since been released or announced: Scrooge, Huey, Dewey, Louie, the Wizard of Oz gang, some Harry Potter folks-fun to see those dreams come true. While I'm at it, here's a few suggestions for a DuckTales 2017 line:

• Scrooge McDuck
    • Donald
    • Huey
    • Dewey
    • Louie
    • Webby Vanderquack
    • Mrs. Beakley
    • Launchpad McQuack
    • Della Duck
    • Duckworth
    • Flintheart Glomgold
    • Mark Beaks
    • Gyro Gearloose
    • Gizmoduck
    • Darkwing Duck
    • Ma Beagle
    • Lena
    • Gladstone Gander
    • Fenton Crackshell-Cabrera
    KLOKRIECHERvizzitor
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,566
    Is Ducktales back on the air?

(BTW - they had one of the best video games.)
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    Yup, rebooted about a year or two ago with David Tennant playing Scrooge McDuck
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    ^Very possible since Disney owns The Muppets now and Lego obviously has the Disney license. I definitely would be on board with a Muppet CMF Series.
    datsunrobbieVorpalRyuBrickByBrickgmonkey76pharmjodLego_StarBOBJACK_JACKBOB
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    I definitely support a Muppets theme, and I think it would do well.
    VorpalRyuBrickByBrickgmonkey76BOBJACK_JACKBOB
    Shib said:
    Yup, rebooted about a year or two ago with David Tennant playing Scrooge McDuck
    I thought this was a joke!  I find it hard to see Tennant as anything other than the Purple Man from Jessica Jones.

I suppose that explains their inclusion in the CMF series.
    wardm
  • benbacardibenbacardi EnglandMember Posts: 500
    SumoLego said:

I find it hard to see Tennant as anything other than the Purple Man from Jessica Jones.
    It took me a long time to see him as anything other than Doctor Who!
    wardmMuftak1
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    edited March 2019
    I was watching some Rab C Nesbitt a couple of weeks back, and now this image is stuck in my mind (about 42 seconds in):

A series which also had another Doctor Who in it ...

dmcc0
    ^I need a translator
    pharmjod
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 57
    Pitfall69 said:
    ^Very possible since Disney owns The Muppets now and Lego obviously has the Disney license. I definitely would be on board with a Muppet CMF Series.

Yeah they do too, fingers crossed then.

• flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 705
    I would be on board with the Muppets, but wouldn't there have to be a ton of new head molds?
    SumoLego
    flord said:
    I would be on board with the Muppets, but wouldn't there have to be a ton of new head molds?
    Just blank minifigure heads and stickers.
    flord
  • scottdd2scottdd2 ADELAIDEMember Posts: 57
    flord said:

I can't see a problem with that, the whole point of the CMFs is the unusual moulds. Look how many of the previous CMFs had one off heads.

Besides this would be the perfect series to fill the last shelf on in my display case.

SumoLego
    The last couple attempts at resurrecting the Muppets haven't done very well though have they? I know there is an older generation with strong attachment to original stuff but Muppets don't seem to be a relevant IP to kids these days. It's difficult to imagine them doing an entire cmf line of them unless something happens to change that. 
    ShibSumoLegogmonkey76BrickByBrick
    Phase 4 of the MCU... pivot to the Muppet Cinematic Universe.
    VorpalRyudmcc0gmonkey76BrickByBrickvizzitorSwitchfoot55
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 809
    SumoLego said:
    Phase 4 of the MCU... pivot to the Muppet Cinematic Universe.
    Can't wait to see a movie for every individual Muppet's origin story. :P
    VorpalRyu
  • BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 660
    That's just because they've never figured out how to make a movie as good as The Muppet Movie (1979). 
    SumoLegogmonkey76datsunrobbie
  • monkyby87monkyby87 Member Posts: 315
    edited March 2019
    The last couple attempts at resurrecting the Muppets haven't done very well though have they? I know there is an older generation with strong attachment to original stuff but Muppets don't seem to be a relevant IP to kids these days. It's difficult to imagine them doing an entire cmf line of them unless something happens to change that. 

I think they've done fairly well.  Two movies were made as part of their revival.  There is a new Muppet Babies cartoon on tv currently, and they still have a pretty noticeable presence in the theme parks.  I don't know if that would necessarily translate into a CMF line (as much as I'd like it), but I think the Muppets are still pretty popular and well-known.   Here in the states they just had a small bit on the Drop the Mic tv show.  It was actually really amusing.
    SumoLego
    The last couple of Muppet-related movies were money-makers, but not the type of successful endeavours that would warrant Disney putting a ton of resources into the franchise.

Not everything has to be SW, Marvel, Disney or the like level of success to be popular.  

But it's definitely a second-tier Disney property, and I'm sure fans feel as though it's being ignored.  (But I'm sure it does as well as any other non-Disney franchise.)
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,899
    edited March 2019
    Sesame Street would be fun.  think that would be a a great theme from Duplo up through the 4+ range. CMF would be pretty easy to do.
    SumoLego
  • Darth_Jar_JarDarth_Jar_Jar Near explosions Member Posts: 43
    NFL Players (series 1)

1. Aaron Rodgers QB Packers
    2. Tom Brady QB Patriots 
    3. Von Miller OLB Broncos
    4. Julio Jones WR Falcons
    5. Antonio Brown WR Raiders
    6. Khalil Mack OLB Bears
    7. Demarcus Lawrence DE Cowboys
    8. Odell Beckham Jr WR Browns
    9. Jalen Ramsey CB Jaguars 
    10. Patrick Mahomes QB Chiefs 
    11. Joey Bosa DE Chargers
    12. Aaron Donald DT Rams 
    13. Drew Brees QB Saints
    14.  Zach Ertz TE - Eagles
    15. David DeCastro OL Steelers
    16. Luke Kuechly MLB Panthers

pharmjod said:
    Sesame Street would be fun.  think that would be a a great theme from Duplo up through the 4+ range. CMF would be pretty easy to do.
    Unfortunately that would require making a deal with Jim Henson's estate, not Disney. Disney got ahold of Kermit and co., not the gang from Sesame Street.

David Tennant has a pretty extensive career, quite apart from some of his better known roles. He's been in a number of Disney projects, and he plays a few minor characters in the How to Train Your Dragon franchise. Hm, that last one wouldn't be a bad theme...
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 774
    ^David Tennant CMF Series?
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,409
    ^MrsB is particularly looking forward to the Casanova version...
  • andywilsonandywilson UKMember Posts: 62
    Haven’t heard of any of those NFL players and I’m guessing most potential Lego buyers outside of the USA are similarly befuddled ?
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,750
    ^One could say the same thing about the Team GB Minifig series or the DFB Minifig series though. 

Now, I'm unfamiliar with these series outside of the fact they exist. So perhaps they were sold only regionally? 
    gmonkey76
  • andywilsonandywilson UKMember Posts: 62
    I think the former were only in UK but I’m a newbie, never bought a Lego set before a couple of years ago, so not really an expert - just assumed all CMF sets were worldwide until I googled the above. 
    Yeah, Team GB was UK only (plus Ireland? I think I heard someone saying they were available there, but it may have been NI) and DFB was mainly Germany and Austria, possibly Switzerland too.
    edited April 2019
    I do not know one player on the DFB Team, nor do I have that much interest in the Olympics, but both Series are sought after even outside their regional areas. TEAM GB is STILL highly sought after here in the States. An NFL Players Series would still be sought after outside North America. Unfortunately, OYO Sports has the NFL license as well as MLB and NBA. I think TLG is missing out on not securing these licenses. In fact, the most valuable sports franchise in the world is the Dallas Cowboys. The NFL made 15 Billion in revenue last year.
    gmonkey76
    TLG obviously don't mind making exclusive regional sets like TEAM GB and DFB. The Chinese New Year sets are awesome and I'm trying to get my hands on them as we speak. It's Lego and it's exclusive, people want to get their hands on these sets/CMF's for their collection. Geez, even certain Kenner Star Wars knock offs are sought after; "Blue Stars" comes to mind. 
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287
    The funny thing with regional exclusives is that it's often the exclusivity that makes them sell well - if LEGO released an NFL series world wide it would probably sell OK in the states and bomb everywhere else. If it was exclusive to the US then they would probably sell out near immediately - only being available in the strongest market for the theme with the added "value" for being exclusive would make more people in that market buy them quicker. 

I've no issue with regional exclusives - I'd have liked the Dragon Dance set, but I wouldn't even have paid RRP for it, and frankly if I miss something because it doesn't hit the price point I'd be happy with then I don't feel any remorse for missing it. 

There are plenty of CMF series I'd love to see LEGO do, most of which they wouldn't tough with a 50ft barge pole, but here are some stupid ideas just for the sake of it. 

Nickelodeon - Rugrats, Wild Thornberries, AAAHHHHHHHH Real Monsters etc (fuel the 90s nostalgia) 

Nintendo - Basically look at the Smash Bros Ultimate roster for an easy set of potentials (any excuse to suggest Nintendo LEGO) 

Shonen Jump Anime - Dragonball, Naruto, Bleach, D.Grayman, Hunter x Hunter, Death Note (Shonen own a lot of the big name anime series so could have a decent mix, even if the majority of people wouldn't have a clue who most of the characters are)

Pokémon - Each pack would have to be a Trainer and a small Pokémon (e.g Ash & Pikachu, Brock & Geodude, Misty & Togepie, Lance & Dratini, Serena & Fennekin, Dawn & Piplup, Gary & Eevee, Prof Oak & any Gen 1 starter) 

Music Legends - Obviously would be difficult to avoid every single musician that had some level of scandal, but hey Yellow Submarine has enough dodgy subtext but that passed LEGO's values. 

Cartoon Network - again personally I'd be after more 90s nostalgia - Dexter's Lab etc

Classic literature - I suspect if LEGO did something like this it would be a yellow skin series with unnamed but obviously inspired by characters like Mr Good & Evil that was obviously meant as Jekyll and Hyde - but I'd love A fleshy series where they are explicitly named. 

I could go on but that's probably enough
    bpk2300Brickchap
  • BOBJACK_JACKBOBBOBJACK_JACKBOB ScotlandMember Posts: 536
    edited April 2019
    I wouldn't mind a series based on nationalities. I know it would probably be critised for stereotyping and whatnot but something along the lines of the already done French Guy, Bagpiper, Queens Guard, Sombrero wearing guy, etc.
    Although I suppose they are already doing these type of characters in the regular series so there's maybe no need for a dedicated series of their own.
    bpk2300Brickchap
    I wouldn't mind a series based on nationalities. I know it would probably be critised for stereotyping and whatnot but something along the lines of the already done French Guy, Bagpiper, Queens Guard, Sombrero wearing guy, etc.

Also historical type ones - they have done your very own Mel Gibson William Wallace.
    BOBJACK_JACKBOBBrickchap
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,075
    How about some more spoof (clearly ripped-off) ones?
    1. Surely Bassey - "sequined" lounge singer
    2. Time Travelling Robot Killer Assassin man (in leathers)
    3. Diamond pattern Clown
    4. Female Aviator
    5. Wheelchair President
    6. Silent Movie Guy
    7. Brute Lee - Martial Arts Expert
    8. Dickensian Ghost Story Guy
    9. Crazy Dog Costume Guy
    10. Crazy Elephant Costume Guy
    11. Crazy Orangutan Costume Guy
    12. Crazy Lion Costume Guy (Tra-La La, La La-la-lah)
    13. Ancient Greek Thinker
    14. 60s TV Sci-Fi Spaceship Captain
    15. Genoa Starling - Wartime Nurse
    16. Stealth Test Pilot
    17. Red-haired orphan girl
    18. Shouty Chef
    19. Brent Westforest - Spaghetti Cowboy
    20. Magical Nanny
    21. Wallyiam - striped jumper guy - the chase figure, one in a box... gets released in a book six months later.

TheOriginalSimonBSearchlightRGdatsunrobbie
  • cody6268cody6268 Member Posts: 269
    I'd prefer a series based on older minifigs from past and present. No license needed at all. 

Historical figures wouldn't be bad either. I mean, we already have Shakespeare and Lincoln. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76BumblepantsBrickchap
    cody6268 said:
    Historical figures wouldn't be bad either. I mean, we already have Shakespeare and Lincoln. 
    I get the feeling it would be difficult to compile 16 historical figures that are protest-proof.  Somebody has some silly angle to protest just about anyone.
    BumblepantspharmjodBrickchap
    cody6268 said:
    I'd prefer a series based on older minifigs from past and present. No license needed at all. 

And a lot more generic ones (Roman emperor, commander, soldier, Spartan, Hun, Battle Goddess, etc), plus Cleopatra (was named online as Cleopatra for a while), highlander (William Wallace), and so on.

Brickchap
    SumoLego said:
    cody6268 said:
    I get the feeling it would be difficult to compile 16 historical figures that are protest-proof.  Somebody has some silly angle to protest just about anyone.
    "Why Lego choosing Grover Cleveland for a minifigure is problematic". - my next blog article you will find on Facebook next to my attempt to add you to my MLM Pyramid Inc Vitamin Toffee.
    SumoLegopharmjod
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
    SumoLego said:
    cody6268 said:
    "Why Lego choosing Grover Cleveland for a minifigure is problematic". - my next blog article you will find on Facebook next to my attempt to add you to my MLM Pyramid Inc Vitamin Toffee.
        According to Wikipedia, Grover Cleveland fathered an illegitimate child sometime around 1874. So that takes him off the list possible cmf's. 

See, all you have to do is get a little dirt on someone and you can ruin their reputation for the rest of eternity. 
    Bumblepantsgmonkey76
    The other problem with him is ... who is he?

• oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,469
    If you're being serious, he was the 22nd and 24th president of the United States and the only president to serve two non-consecutive terms. If you aren't serious then I understand your inference. 

My point is that @SumoLego is right in that there aren't too many historical people who's lives would withstand today's witch hunt mentality for the deeds they did or didn't do. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76LittleLori
    oldtodd33 said:
    aid:
    said:
        According to Wikipedia, Grover Cleveland fathered an illegitimate child sometime around 1874. So that takes him off the list possible cmf's. 

See, all you have to do is get a little dirt on someone and you can ruin their reputation for the rest of eternity. 
    Don't spoil my blog article! I need that ad revenue to buy Lego with
    oldtodd33SumoLegogmonkey76
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 447
    edited April 2019
    Others beat me to it :P

US president, most notable for serving two separate terms, 1885 - 1889 and 1893-1897.