Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which is the best place to buy LEGO? Ebay, Amazon, TRU...

2»

Comments

• LegobrandonCPLegobrandonCP CanadaMember Posts: 1,912
    I have thought about doing this to Canada. Is there anyone that has done this and is it worth it? I would think that a large shipment like this would always get taxed, or does it sometimes get through without?
    Thanks, Brian
    I haven't done package forwarding before but I have had parcels held in the US for me to go and pick up. Pretty straightforward, order your American product, wait for it to arrive, pay a fee and you're out. The border guards might charge you duties for an expensive item but I had no problems with a $150 set. It really depends on who you're talking to.
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Just received a few Lego sets from Amazon, and true to form all were damaged. I ordered an inexpensive pair of speakers a couple weeks ago, and Amazon decided to lump the speakers in the same box with the fragile, small Lego boxes. Needless to say, the Lego boxes were basically used as padding for the speakers and all Lego boxes were crushed. One would think that with the jobless rate as high as it is these days, Amazon could hire shipping people with more intellect. At least that's what one would think...

Sets are all going back and Amazon gets to pay shipping twice. What a brilliant business strategy...
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Sets are all going back and Amazon gets to pay shipping twice. What a brilliant business strategy...
    In my experience, Amazon has improved over the past year regarding Lego, I've had fewer damaged sets these days...

Still happens sometimes, but I suspect most people just keep the crushed boxes, rather than returning them, since they open the boxes and throw them away most of the time.

You would think if Lego was being returned at a large rate, Amazon would change their shipping systems.

Or maybe not. :)
  • CoolsplashCoolsplash Member Posts: 935
    @LegoFanTexax, you just said the magic words :P hundreds of thousands of dollars which is not my investment in Lego. But I will look into this yes as a big dealer I buy Lego every 2-3 months been telling me to work on this as it saves shipping costs. Lets see.

• mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,097
    edited June 2012
    People sending crushed boxes back to Amazon is great for those of us who buy from Amazon Warehouse. Personally I've never had a problem with Amazon's shipping. But I also don't order giant speakers on the same order. I think its a little much to expect white glove s&h when you're getting it shipped for free. If you want an immaculate box then go to a Lego retail store and pick through their inventory.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ I too have yet to have a bad Amazon shipping experience on LEGO...heck, on anything. But I also try to order smartly to keep oversized items away from smaller, fragile items.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    ^ Same here. I have only had on badly damaged package from Amazon in 3 years. I have had two from [email protected] in the same amount of time. That is out of about 1500 orders. Luck of the draw.
  • dsdg88dsdg88 Member Posts: 133
    I'm trying to decide how to deal with the somewhat damaged box of the IS I purchased from [email protected] in the May the Fourth promo. The shipping box was in good shape so it appears the side crease and surface scuffing may have happened before shipment. There's also a slight imprint of a TC-14 on one face.
    A few weeks ago I mentioned it to the manager at the local Lego store and he said if he had any he'd let me swap it as long as my box was good enough to be sell-able. I assured him it was. So he said to call before my next visit to see if he'd received any. Well I called this past Saturday and was told--not by the same person--that they would not be receiving any more IS's.
    However, I see they are still available on [email protected]
    I'll probably call up LEGO customer service to see what they say, but I'm not sure the box condition warrants making a big fuss (an in-store swap really was ideal). At this point I'm not sure if I will be opening it someday (I have no idea where to put the constructed model given it's size, from what I've read) or trading/reselling it when and if I venture into those waters.
    Any suggestions? How little damage is enough to justify the shipping exchange?
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    I love buying from Amazon, but not because the Lego item is tax free. I live in Michigan and you are supposed to pay the tax at the end of the year on all items bought online (which i do) that were tax free. There are a hand full of states that are tax free. I like the free shipping and the decent sales. Amazon has gotten alot better packing Lego.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,890
    dsdg88: Get on to [email protected] for an exchange. They realise we AFOLs are fussy buggers with our boxes and expect a pristine example. You have 90 days to return it.
  • JP3804JP3804 Member Posts: 332
    @ dsdg88 I would call [email protected] They might offer you a discount to keep it.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    @dsdg88 I had a damaged IS box as well and i emailed Lego and they sent me a case # and to call Lego [email protected] I called and they sent me a perfect one that arrived in 2 days. I just put the damaged one in the box the new one came in and dropped off at UPS Store. The one I got originally was crushed and one corner was caved in. Mine warranted an exchange for sure.
  • dunc8543dunc8543 Member Posts: 138
    Beware listing items on E-bay as there is a glitch with the I-Pad app.
    It is showing items that you list for sale as postage free and ignoring listed postal charges.
  • BrixyBrixy United statesMember Posts: 57
    Hi,
    Well I want (need) a couple of exclusives from TRU the dynamic duo and escape from the barrels. I thought that maybe with the 25 off $100 would be good time to get them only to be annoyed the price was inflated so with both the total was $99.98. So I would still have to add something only to get them for about what I couldon [email protected] Are there any real sells on these or should I just get em from [email protected]? Also what about places like target etc?

Thanks
  • yys4uyys4u USA SoCalMember Posts: 1,092
    Ugh.. TRU is such a pain. I tried something similar. I thought if I brought in the Lego catalog and got them to price match, then use the 25 off 100 promotion, I'd be getting a good deal, only to be told the 2 can't be stacked and its one or the other. Well either way it comes out to about RRP so I'd rather get them from LEGO and build VIP points.
  • HELLRAZR_28HELLRAZR_28 Member Posts: 61
    Yeah, why give TRU business if it encourages them to jack up prices like that?
  • BastaBasta Australia Member Posts: 1,259
    Yes TRU has some good deals but not all the time, for instance 4-5 weeks ago they had the SW Millennium Falcon for $99.99. So even with postage to Australia I got them for $15 below the US Retail price which was half the AU RRP. During the BOGO50% it was not as good as the deal I got, when there was no sale on just a discounted set.

Not all items are marked up above RRP and on occasion they have some items discounted below RRP and they are available to be used with current offers.

You just need to be wise with what deals you take up an do your research when talking about TRU.
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Amazon .This year I have purchased about 2 dozen Lego sets from them all the way to Pakistan and I have been very happy with the packaging and the eventual condition I have received the products. Most reach me in near mint condition .

The only exception is the 9515 Malevolence .. That took a bit of a hit on the top side but it was obvious it was due to the multiple carrier transfers as the outer box showed the same. But nothing serious at all.

Also if one places enough orders round the year, the Prime membership is a worthy investment. Deliveries are super quick .
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,097
    I would say Amazon right now. No taxes added to cost of LEGO, free shipping and handling ( with prime membership or super saver shipping ) and their customer service is great. I received a box once that was damaged and I chatted with their customer service who took care of it right away. If not amazon I would go to [email protected]; simpy for tax savings as well ( if they are not in your state ) plus you get VIP points. I avoid TRU and target, etc.
  • malkhazmalkhaz Member Posts: 7
    My Favorites are Amazon, LEGO Shop, and ToysRUs - I am always checking the prices first from all these stores before making the purchase decision. Bargain watch at Brickset is a great tool to use: http://brickset.com/buy/us/Amazon/
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Mine are
    Amazon, Argos, Gumtree, Ebay, and Tescos.

I've never had bad packaging with Amazon, [email protected] I remember ordering Space Skulls, and a few other smaller sets, the outer box was damaged but inside was fine
  • MandarineMandarine Member Posts: 31
    I'm in Australia and it can be hit or miss with which Amazons will deliver any given set at any point in time. I have ordered the most off Amazon.fr and have never ever had an issue with poor packaging. The speed of delivery is sometimes astounding - five days in many cases. I ordered the Imperial Shuttle off Amazon.com recently and it arrived in pristine condition, which I believe is rare for that particular set. Love Amazon!
  • VaderXVaderX Member Posts: 220
    I use Amazon.com for new discounted/exclusive sets. Also Lego.com for same reasons. I have had great luck with very little shipping damage from both. TRU and local retailers for small clearance, polys, CMFs, and older sets found at great bargains. Bricklink.com for bulks lots of specific parts. Only way to go from my experience.
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    Well, today got a Pet Shop with the Christmas Train from Lego, and the train, which for those of you who don't know is a relatively big box, was under the Pet Shop.  Both crushed to hell.  Ugh.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,566
    edited October 2015
    Sooo.... what are you planning to do with that damaged box???
  • kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,044
    edited October 2015
    @TheLoneTensor Oh no! I ordered a detective's office and it comes with the holiday train. I hope it doesn't arrive crushed like yours. *Fingers crossed*
    Could have Yularen polybag faceprints all over your UCS Sandcrawler box...
    kiki180703
  • hoyatableshoyatables Northern Virginia, USAMember Posts: 866
    Thanks. Now I'm hyperventilating about the DO + train sitting in my office in its box. 
    kiki180703SumoLego
  • TheLoneTensorTheLoneTensor MericaMember Posts: 3,950
    SumoLego said:
    Sooo.... what are you planning to do with that damaged box???
    They be going back for replacements.
    They wanted both sets back?  That's surprising.  Normally with the give-aways, they only want the principle set returned.

I hope it goes better the 2nd time around.
  • goshe7goshe7 Columbus, Ohio, USAMember Posts: 515
    There were rumors that Lego has stopped the practice of immediately shipping promo items (separately) when your only other ordered item is out of stock.  That used to be a way to overcome Lego's shipping incompetence.  

If you add a single small in stock item, they will ship the promo with that item and then ship the large item when it comes back in stock.  Or at least that's how my last order worked.