Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

beatlefan1966: Do you design or just build the sets?

beatlefan1966beatlefan1966 Florida, USAMember Posts: 31
edited January 2012 in Introduce yourself
I am new to the forum, but I've been building since I received Cafe Corner from my hubby for Valentine's Day years ago. I have built all the modulars, plus the Eiffel Tower, Taj Mahal, Tower Bridge, Grand Carousel, VW bug, and all three Winter Village sets. My incredible hubby spoils me greatly; he bought me six sets for Christmas and six more at Legoland Florida two days ago!

I love building the sets, and I wish I could design things, but I'm just not creative. So, are there others out there that only build the sets? Or do most of you also design your own MOCs?

Comments

• The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Welcome to the forum! Personally I only build sets, because it seems that EVERYTIME I want to build something, I always need a particular piece that I don't have :( It's really amazing what some people make out of LEGO.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Welcome! I rarely build and haven't designed since my youth. But I'm sure there are MOCs floating around in my head just waiting for me to find time. :o)
  • I don't build a lot of my own stuff, but do some:

http://sites.google.com/site/brickenplate

One thing I might recommend is getting the Master Builder Academy series from Lego. Although aimed at younger builders, I think it's a great series and a good introduction to building your own stuff.

Also, try building an alternate model with just the pieces from one set - this limitation might actually inspire creativity ("necessity is the mother of invention").

Another technique would be to try to copy a real-world building or item using Lego pieces.

All these techniques make building something original a little less "wide open" and daunting.
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    Welcome to the Forum! I'm a MOC-er and pretty much only buy sets for parts. Besides the excellent suggestions @thomasmain listed, I would also add that one way to ease yourself into MOCs is to add little modifications or extra stuff to the LEGO sets you already have. For example you can decorate the interiors of the Modular Buildings, create a little tourist-scene in front of the Taj Mahal or add some additional scenes to your Vinter Village.

I find that the LEGO sets that I do buy because I really like them as they are can use some modification to make it just right for my taste. I just stayed up until 2 AM fixing up my Alien Conquest Earth Defense....(c:
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    I build most of the sets I buy, but then I break them down & the bits go into my storage system (that's the plan anyway ... it can take a while ;-) ) so that I can use them to build my own stuff.

There's some good advice above. It's a good idea to start small. You can also find someone elses MOC that you like & then reverse-engineer it, working out how they built it to learn techniques.

If you're interested in building space craft you could do worse that taking a look at some of Peter L Morris's instructions ...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/rival_m/sets/72157606978931240/
    ... and try building some of them, adapting them as you go to match the parts you have available. The basic 'frame' is fairly straight forward, but there's scope for almost limitless variation ... so maybe that will stimulate your creativity. Like any muscle, your creative 'muscles' get stronger through use & exercise :-)
  • dimefielddimefield Edmonton Alberta CanadaMember Posts: 314
    I usually become inspired just after i build a set and some of the techniques are still fresh in my head. Modulars in particular have a set base size so you have a starting point. Then i just source parts from extra parts and see what comes together. The more you build the more you learn!
  • legoDadlegoDad Member Posts: 529
    edited December 2011
    ^Same here dimefield...I get inspired and learn from set building. I'm a novice Moc/mod builder and I mostly Mod or add onto existing models. I have many in the 'sketch' phase(I need to take more photos of my WIP's to get feedback) but here's something I did with an Indy set by adding on to make it a larger playset...
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157624549484767/image
  • beatlefan1966beatlefan1966 Florida, USAMember Posts: 31
    These are all fantastic suggestions! THANKS!!
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    @legoDad your Indy piece is great looking!

Last night I started an MOC Police Station modular that would connect with the other modular buildings I have Fire Brigade, Pet Shop and Grand Emporium. Doing it this way simplifies the concept part of the build, as you'll be restricted to stay within the same height and width as others. The interior layout can be tricky but looking back at your other modulars, you can trouble shoot possible solutions. The key to making it look fantastic will be in the novel techniques used to create trimmings and details.
    @BrickDancer...thx a bunch!
    Good luck with you Police Station. Definitely the little architecture details will make it stand out. Love to see how it looks when done.
    ...ssooo I finally got to finishing my first MOC modular, even though it's not a police station as first planned (not enough dark blue bricks). What do you think of the first try @legoDad?
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    ...ssooo I finally got to finishing my first MOC modular, even though it's not a police station as first planned (not enough dark blue bricks). What do you think of the first try @legoDad?
    That is an excellent first MOC!

I made my first two MOCs by taking two of the Town Plan (10184) buildings [Town Hall and Cinema], and expanding up and back to make them 'true' modulars [Library and Cinema] ... also added some ornamentation, so they have a passing resemblence to the original buildings, but they look great in a CC-style lineup (as your one does).

^Andyscouse I saw your two MOC's before! In fact, the museum inspired me to try the same but in tan and dark tan mostly, with white and light bley. Including the Lion's head throughout, I bought 20 each in tan and light bley. The condo I built above was just a practice run for the Museum. My current plan is stuck on whether it would be better as a standalone on XL grey plate (as you did) or do a double sized Modular as two corners connected?

Funny thing that I was just thinking about your Cinema sign 2 days ago while perusing the PAB wall at the local B&M. I can't blow up your pic, so I'm assuming they are stickers for that and the billing?
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,696
    That looks awesome. I tend to buy to moc and will build something and then part it out. I find sketching the shapes off what i want to build helps and gives an idea of what bricks i need.

Your moc looks great and fits in so well woth your modulars. I find when building though try to get varity in brick tones as not everything is the same colour so adds texture.

Hey BrickDancer...sorry I took awhile to respond. Great first try! More than a try though. Love the color scheme of tan/dark red/black and white. I like those large ledges on the second floor windows. Perhaps some decorative flower box and flowers there would be nice.

Andyscouse...just excellent buildings. The libary with that large side window is great and the taller cinema has that multiplex feel. Great looking mocs.
  • weinnerweinner Banned Posts: 148
    I'm in the same boat, don't think I'm creative enough for good MOC'S and couldn't break myself to steal from my sets. Some of my favorite MOC'S are the haunted and run down houses on mocpages. Just ridiculous.