Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The "Shame" thread: high cost purchases

rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
edited April 2011 in Buying & Selling Topics
You knew it was coming. While we brag about our conquests in our relentless pursuit of bargains, we can't ignore the fact that there are other purchases we made where we have sold our soul -- or at least hid from our significant others.

Perhaps if you repent here -- or at least admit guilt -- we might still find salvation :P

Comments

• rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,288
    For me it would be 852293 Giant Chess Set: http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=852293-1

I paid $375 shipping inclusive earlier this year. Although I actually got a bargain compared to the $500+ market rate, it's still almost double of the retail price. Furthermore, the set is absolutely massive and I knew when buying it that I wouldn't properly have the space to display it in my game room for the near future, so it sits in a box in the closet.
  • atkinsaratkinsar Member Posts: 4,272
    Without a doubt, Jabba's Sail barge (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6210-1), bought from eBay MISB in September of last year for just under £170. I just went in all guns blazing as I really wanted it. I have to say though, it really was mint, but still nearly 3 times RRP for a set not 4 years old.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,547
    The chess set was about £70 in LEGOLAND Windsor a few years back. I bought one and that was my first (unpleasant) encounter of Chinese minifigs: I hadn't heard of them being such rubbish beforehand but seeing them for the first time in that set I would have thought they were fakes had it not been for the LEGO logo on the box :-)
    Without a doubt, Jabba's Sail barge (http://www.brickset.com/detail/?set=6210-1), bought from eBay MISB in September of last year for just under £170.
    I sold one December 2010 for $340 USD, so you could have done worse. Mine was also as crisp as the day it rolled out of the factory, though, and I kind of miss it :P

edited April 2011
    @Huw: I think I read the Brickset reviews -- including yours -- before I finally decided to bite the bullet and purchase it. I didn't see nary a mention of lower quality minifigs!
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,380
    OK, my first admission of many in this thread - £107 + postage for Star Wars Ultimate Space Battle in a battered box. A mediocre set, only bought so I could complete my Star Wars collection.
    ^ I'm still short Cloud City and Ultimate Space Battle, and steadfastly refusing to pay their outrageous current asking price. Of course, it was that same refusal at lower levels that have kept me in this worsening predicament. I am still hopeful to find that magic deal somewhere, or one day learn to accept that my SW collection will only be 99% complete and no one is going to begrudge me that 1%
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    There was one time that I *ALMOST* paid a huge price, albeit accidental, for a set. I was in my university library about to work on a paper but before I started, I just checked eBay for a bit. There I spotted a MISB Adventurers 5976 River Expedition on eBay. As I hadn't yet been able to find one in stores, and it was going for only $4.00 with a week left, I bid $5. It immediately went up to $6 so I bid $7.00. However, I didn't realize it until the bid was confirmed that the keyboard I was using had a broken key and the decimal point had not registered. I discovered this when I was typing moments later and found no periods at the ends of sentences in my paper. I checked eBay and sure enough I had bid a maximum of $700. Fortunately the set ended up going for $48 though that was still $8 higher than I could have paid for one in stores (though none in my area had the set I'm sure I could have found one somewhere. Dodged that bullet but the potential for disaster was certainly there.

Highest I ever paid for a set was $60 for a discontinued MISB 7151 (original) Sith Infiltrator. I really didn't like the set and Darth Maul continues to be my least favorite character in all of Star Wars so it wasn't high on my priority list and I passed it up when it was in production. However, I wanted to complete the collection so I set out to find one.
  • korkor Member Posts: 392
    I haven't bought it yet but I really want a misb Green Grocer. I know I'm going to pay double what it cost in stores not that long ago so I just haven't pulled the trigger but I'm probably going to soon.

I tend to hide the brinklink bulk buying-sprees I go on from my wife. Sshhhh....
    edited April 2011
    I know I'm going to pay double what it cost in stores not that long ago
    If you're lucky...... I'd suggest buying sooner rather than later, though. The modulars seem insanely popular (Market Street in particular seems to have increased 5-fold in value since it was retired) and I can only see things getting worse. Just don't miss out on Fire Brigade or Grand Emporium as well....
    Dodged that bullet but the potential for disaster was certainly there.
    FYI in case you find yourself with a broken keyboard in the future, eBay has provisions to retract erroneous bids: http://pages.ebay.com/help/buy/questions/retract-bid.html
    It doesn't lend itself well to sniping, though.

This was way back in 1999. Back then the eBay recommended policy was to contact the seller for a bid retraction. I did that and they did not respond.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    Both you guys have that weird tie fighter collection with the non piloted tie? If I recall, the ultimate space battle was the anakin and obi set? There were so many substandard SW sets that I can't imagine wanting them even though I'm a SW nut. People complain about the new Clone Wars sets and romanticize the SW sets back when they were called Classic. Yet the new CW gunship and new XWing are just superb while the old Chewy AtSt and original XWing are rubbish, to steal a phrase.

Back to the topic at hand though, my worst purchase has to be the toy story pizza planet truck. I paid full price though it would be discounted later and the figs are really the only redeeming feature.
    edited April 2011
    The old AT-ST was, in my opinion, the worst Star Wars set ever. Small, inaccurate, poorly-designed and it didn't even include an Imperial of any sort, I still can't name another Star Wars set that compares to the disappointment of seeing it after 3 years of waiting for the line to include an AT-ST.

The original X-Wing wasn't that bad, especially as part of the first year of the line. The worst of the first year was the Gungan Sub which seems to have been designed off of some conceptual sketch or something other than the vehicle depicted in the film.

Both the AT-ST and Gungan Sub rank among the sets I regret buying for MSRP (even at $9.99 for the AT-ST) but at the time there was no guarantee that we'd get another version of either. We still haven't gotten a new version of the Gungan Sub though back in 1999 or 2001 (for the AT-ST) there hadn't yet been a reissue or new version of anything. The first would be the speeder bike in 2002.
  • brickupdatebrickupdate Member Posts: 1,020
    There is a Death Star set currently being hidden from my wife! It's a good thing too, a few days after it arrived, a batch of stormtroopers arrived that she did notice.
    People do tend to romanticise the old SW sets, but there were some real dogs in there. For example, the original Sith Inflitrator (7151) was an utter shocker in my opinion - a blocky monstrosity. My trusty spreadsheet indicates that I bought my used but boxed copy from eBay for the princely sum of £13.50. Which was about £13.49 too much I reckon. Still, gotta collect them all.
    edited April 2011
    People do tend to romanticise the old SW sets, but there were some real dogs in there. For example, the original Sith Inflitrator (7151) was an utter shocker in my opinion - a blocky monstrosity. My trusty spreadsheet indicates that I bought my used but boxed copy from eBay for the princely sum of £13.50. Which was about £13.49 too much I reckon. Still, gotta collect them all.
    Yeah, that was another bad one. The only reason I got it was to complete the collection. You paid £13.49 too much but I paid $25.00 over the MSRP! Oh the shame I feel! :-( *buries his head*

edited April 2011
    I can't speak for everyone, obviously, but for me, a large portion of that romanticism is being nostalgic about classic Star Wars and not having the same identification with Clone Wars and Expanded Universe sets.

I also never much liked the sets mentioned (Sith Infiltrator, AT-ST, and Gungan Sub), but one also has to remember that LEGO was hitting definitively lower price points back when those sets were released, and the low piece count has something to do with them being substandard.

• EricEric Queensland, AustraliaMember Posts: 376
    edited April 2011
    I hadn't heard of them being such rubbish beforehand but seeing them for the first time in that set I would have thought they were fakes had it not been for the LEGO logo on the box :-)
    That bad hey? It looks like a pretty good set, from the stock pictures.

• duilimduilim Member Posts: 61
    $230 for the Black Seas Barracuda on Ebay. In the end, I had no choice, I kept getting outbid and finally got fed up and bit the bullet in a big way. No regrets though - an excellent set, although now it's back in the box to prevent it from getting dusty.

Funny all the comments on the older SW sets - a lot of the pre 2004 sets were poorly designed compared to the sets today, yet they go for exhorbitant prices! Am glad that a new Millenium Falcon is coming out this year - the 2004 version kept going for much more than I was willing to pay on ebay.
  • 50missioncap50missioncap Member Posts: 96
    Speaking of money, do you guys have a monthly lego budget? Let's be honest, we can all get carried away with this...
  • 12651265 Member Posts: 946
    Speaking of money, do you guys have a monthly lego budget? Let's be honest, we can all get carried away with this...
    That question itself could be a thread starter.

It's funny you should ask.....because recently I asked myself what I spend on Lego sets per month. I think not enough....but my wife thinks differently. It's only been the last 18 months that I've been serious about collecting Lego sets. Within those months I've spent much, which the wife is not happy about. Nonetheless, I tell her it's my hobby and stay out of it. (Seriously....that's how it is.)

• korkor Member Posts: 392
    I know I'm going to pay double what it cost in stores not that long ago
    If you're lucky...... I'd suggest buying sooner rather than later, though. The modulars seem insanely popular (Market Street in particular seems to have increased 5-fold in value since it was retired) and I can only see things getting worse. Just don't miss out on Fire Brigade or Grand Emporium as well....
    I made sure to get both of those. I'd really like to have the Cafe Corner as well but that things way to expensive to justify it now.
  • Lego_Lord_MayorcaLego_Lord_Mayorca H-Town, USAMember Posts: 531
    I'm glad some people here agree with me about the comparatively poorer designs and colors of the Star Wars sets from 1999-2001. Let's face it; we all get nostalgic for the past and romanticize it (i.e. the huge following Lego Space sets pre-1987 have), but I would NEVER stoop to paying the ridiculously high sums I've seen the original Millennium Falcon (2000) go for online. I actually thought it was ugly then, and in light of increasingly superior re-releases (including the 2004 one that I got for my birthday that year and still treasure), it has only become more crude and unpolished.

As for Lego purchasing "shame"...I don't think I've made any mistakes like what's been described above...yet. I've only recently entered the world of high-stakes, big-money, Lego purchases, and I've done it rather cautiously. I've only gone all-out on eBay bidding for sets that I know are worth a lot to me and are great in general. Case in point: 1994's Super Car (set 8880). I ended up getting it for just shy of $400 NIB (seals were cut and hub caps were placed in tires), but I KNOW it will be worth every penny. I would've paid even more for it. And now that I am older and much wiser, I know to take precautions on assembling and displaying it near sunlight. Don't want those pure whites to turn yellow like several of my childhood favorites did!