Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Black Friday 2017

13»

Comments

• tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    Smart Black Friday shoppers are done by noon.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    I made a trip down to the CT Post Mall yesterday around noon to pick up shelves from Target, and was amazed how empty the place was. I had ordered for pickup, and there was no line at customer service. Including a pass through the LEGO aisle it took under 15 minutes to get in and out of the store. Traffic was no worse than usual, so I either got really lucky or Black Friday shoppers were already done by noon.
    I know more and more people shopping online for their items: delivered to store, residence or work.
    gmonkey76 said:
    ^ & ^^ Smart shoppers are home in bed or online.
    It depends. I found deals online, but there were several that I had to hit physical stores for because the deals there were better. The ideal mix is both... grabbing the best deals online and being done early with hitting physical stores. 
    I made a trip down to the CT Post Mall yesterday around noon to pick up shelves from Target, and was amazed how empty the place was. I had ordered for pickup, and there was no line at customer service. Including a pass through the LEGO aisle it took under 15 minutes to get in and out of the store. Traffic was no worse than usual, so I either got really lucky or Black Friday shoppers were already done by noon.
    I know more and more people shopping online for their items: delivered to store, residence or work.
    It is weird. I have had it happen several times where half the post I write does not show. 

I had had also originally made a comment related to the above. There have been several articles out this year about how for the first time more people plan to shop online this year than shopping in store. This may very well be contributing to less foot traffic in stores and making things less crowded.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,538
    I think it is more than more online shopping. I think that a lot of people here in the US are still unemployed and underemployed and as a result are buying less, but I guess most news agencies will be presenting the data from this BF to see if there is a dip.

As for LEGO, IMO not many huge deals on things so far this year, unless you are a fan of Dimensions.
    What did surprise me a bit is the apparent limited number of Palace Cinemas [email protected] had to move and they are sold out pretty quick, same with the Simpsons house and Kwik E Mart.

It is telling when it seems that the best deals to be had were from [email protected] this season (so far). Mighty quiet IMO for LEGO sales. That is probably good thing as my wallet is breathing a sigh of relief. Still another month to go, but starting to think this will be a 'quiet' sale price year for LEGO here in the US.

Though I will say that since the LEGO distribution hub opened here in Romeoville IL I get my packages quickly. I ordered a couple of Palace Cinema's on Thursday Night, and they are sitting in my apt now.
    pharmjodMegtheCat
  • josekaleljosekalel Rio Grande Valley, TexasMember Posts: 680
    I think it is more than more online shopping. I think that a lot of people here in the US are still unemployed and underemployed and as a result are buying less, but I guess most news agencies will be presenting the data from this BF to see if there is a dip.
    I can attest to that...either way, I think last year it was the same thing, and what I keep thinking is, things will never be the same as they used to (not only in terms of sales, but in life)...and yes, I think I have taken advantage of more of Walmart's clearance sales than BF or even Christmas. 

Anyways, time to go back and attempt to build a MOC...
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 408
    ^ & ^^ All I hear from the news is how unemployment is falling and people's optimism about the economy is high.  I certainly don't share that opinion.  It's still hard to find work around me and it even seems like the jobs are reserved for certain people.  I also heard from many sources that retailers expect this selling season to be the biggest in years, especially online.  Will be interesting if this turns out true.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,381
    some good deals this year finally. overspent quite a bit. silent mary at 20% off just now.

on the other hand, I'm unlikely to buy more lego before next year, unless there is a deal on disney castle or ninjago city, since they are the 2 main items remaining on my wanted list.
    Onebricktoomany
  • OnebricktoomanyOnebricktoomany United StatesMember Posts: 287
    edited November 2017
    ^where 20% off?  Oops, my bad... just saw you're France!   Checked all retailers sites here and then came back to ask.  Would have saved time if I would have just READ, lol.  Ugh... sometimes I wish I was really smart.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 1,001
    I didn't think there was anything anywhere worth jumping on to buy.  I still see 20% off as "consumer base" price with Lego
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    edited November 2017
    PapaBear said:
    ^ & ^^ All I hear from the news is how unemployment is falling and people's optimism about the economy is high.  I certainly don't share that opinion.  It's still hard to find work around me and it even seems like the jobs are reserved for certain people.  I also heard from many sources that retailers expect this selling season to be the biggest in years, especially online.  Will be interesting if this turns out true.
    Many places are hiring out here (Santa Clara County)...but they’re paying $12-18/ hour in an area where the average combined income to buy a house is around $200k...and rent is commonly $2-3k month for a condo...

so lots of corporation chain stores and mom and pops can’t fill their positions (especially food jobs)...

jobs are here if people people want them...you just can’t afford to live on one job...
    madforLEGO
    edited November 2017
    PapaBear said:
    Many places are hiring out here (Santa Clara County)...but they’re paying $12-18/ hour in an area where the average combined income to buy a house is around $200k...and rent is commonly $2-3k month for a condo...

so lots of corporation chain stores and mom and pops can’t fill their positions (especially food jobs)...

jobs are here if people people want them...you just can’t afford to live on one job...
    If the corporations have their way, every white collar job will be overseas and we will be a nation of Walmart workers. Then they will have the nerve to wonder why sales are down in the US.
    PapaBear said:

Yup, dual income households are almost necessary to stay a minimum above poverty. 
    What is up with this LEGO shopping bag freebie?  Is it much more durable than the ones they give out in store?

A freebie that will save TLG on manufacturing shopping bags..........interesting
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Yeah, the bag freebie is lost on me...I can't imagine that being a motivating factor in a purchase like some other things but to each their own. 
  • BlueberryWafflesBlueberryWaffles MinnesotaMember Posts: 23
    Hanzo said:
    Yeah, the bag freebie is lost on me...I can't imagine that being a motivating factor in a purchase like some other things but to each their own. 
    Personally I really like the bag. However I don't like it quite enough to spend $200 for it. I think I've only made 3 purchases that were over $200 in all my time collecting. (GBHQ, Classic Batcave, Orthanc)
    Hanzo
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Oh, I mean if they were just handing them out I'd take one, I like it, I was just saying I can't see someone planning purchases around it.
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    We did, we chose it over double points the week before. These are really, really nice bags that I'll be using for the next ten years. They're not the right size to use for LEGO boxes but hold a lot of groceries. The nutcrackers will probably just get given away sometime in the future at a LEGO dirty santa or something.

Currently one is holding all the project supplies, including 30 square feet of bubble wrap, for one of my LEGO robotics teams, if that's not an appropriate use I don't know what is :)

HanzoTwoToneBricksricecake77ncaachampskiki180703
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,750
    PapaBear said:
    What is up with this LEGO shopping bag freebie?  Is it much more durable than the ones they give out in store?

A freebie that will save TLG on manufacturing shopping bags..........interesting
    Remember, there were two bag promos. The first one during the double VIP points with a $99 purchase was a strengthened yellow plastic bag about the same size as the usual large bags you get for free. The second is a tote bag that you need to spend $200 to get. 
  • stetstet Member Posts: 44
    Maybe next year we can get some Lego brand Ziploc bags for storing pieces in after (if) you take a set apart.
    eddiew
  • MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 75
    PapaBear said:

It is more like a knitting bag with a front pocket for a pattern and a nice snap closure at the top. The tag says it can’t be laundered, which is impractical for an off-white bag.  
    Not really a BF deal, but brought my gingerbread man coupon to the LEGO store and spent 100 and got the Gingerbread man, a F40 (for 79.99) and a PaB cup with 5.00 sand baseplate and got the Ginergbread man, Ninjago Master Wu keychain, and a nutcracker.. Not bad for a LEGO store visit.
    MegtheCat