Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How to not-post when you accidentally hit 'quote'?

dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 183
@Huw or someone else...
When scrolling on my mobile I sometimes accidentally hit a "quote" link somewhere on a page and then a new post for me is created that I can't get rid off. This is so annoying! Is there a way to cancel that? Signing off/on again does not help and even switching to another device won't help. What can be done? Thanks!

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    It happens on desktops and laptops too. What I do is that I click inside the box of the quoted text and just hit the backspace button until all the text is gone. Once the text is gone, it allows you to delete the little piece of box that's left. And I agree it's annoying, and it won't go away until you do this. At least I haven't found any other way to get rid of the quote box. 
    xwingpilotkiki180703
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    You also can't delete a draft on the mobile site. If you switch to the desktop site you can do it from the My Drafts link on the right.
    omniumkiki180703MooreFX
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,452
    Go to your drafts. Delete it. Go back to where you were. I don't know where drafts are on mobile - I assume they're available somewhere?
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 183
    You also can't delete a draft on the mobile site. If you switch to the desktop site you can do it from the My Drafts link on the right.
    Thanks, I found it! It's not very user friendly tough. Only when you hove over the draft post a small black x appears. Clicking on that indeed removes the post.
    Again thanks for piloting me into the right direction!
    xwingpilotkiki180703
    ^ That pun. it's X-ecrable.
    xwingpilotdutchlegofan50kiki180703
  • xwingpilotxwingpilot UKMember Posts: 797
    MaffyD said:
    Go to your drafts. Delete it. Go back to where you were. I don't know where drafts are on mobile - I assume they're available somewhere?
    If you switch to the mobile site on the drafts page you can still see them, but I don't think there's any way to get to them on the mobile site.
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 740
    To delete the empty quote box, I hit the </> symbol, delete the code, hit the symbol again and I'm back into WYSIWYG mode, ready for action.
    xwingpilotkiki180703Legoboy
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,226
    On a mobile site, you can use your browser to "View on Desktop" and from there go to Drafts.  At least you can on Chrome, I don't have any experience with other mobile browsers but I suspect the function is there as well.
    Just use this link from mobile:
    http://bricksetforum.com/drafts
    But it's still not easy to delete them, I had to be very precise with my finger, and I had to guess where the x was as it wasn't visible before I pressed it!
  • MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,734
    I've never had a problem simply using backspace to get rid of the quote. Does that not work for others?
    Bumblepants
    On mobile? You can get stuck inside the quote, and you can also delete up to the quote and not be able to go any further. Probably depends on the setup, for me it’s Chrome mobile on Android.
    Hanzo
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    MaffyD said:
    On mobile? You can get stuck inside the quote, and you can also delete up to the quote and not be able to go any further. Probably depends on the setup, for me it’s Chrome mobile on Android.
    This happens to me as well on Chrome browser on PC (in addition to mobile).
  • RecceRecce Tiny Little Red DotMember Posts: 884
    Looks like I'm not the only one irritated by this.

My first action is to quickly refresh the page, as sometimes the auto draft save haven't kicked in yet so refreshing will show a clean page.

Failing that, I had to change browser settings to desktop, then select to show code, then go to end of msg and type Enter key to get out of quote box. Then save draft, change back to mobile site, and refresh page.

One trick I've learned is to quickly press enter key at least twice after you reply a quoted msg, then your text will not appear inside the quote when you start typing. But I always forgot to do that when replying msg. :(
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    Try to just use desktop PCs or laptops
  • AleyditaAleydita BelgiumMember Posts: 784
    Archaic forum software. Enough said!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,495
    MaffyD said:
    If this happens, switch to html using < / > and  delete everything.
    edited November 2017
    CCC said:
    MaffyD said:
    If this happens, switch to html using < / > and  delete everything.
    Well, that would be great if the html option was there:

Although, saying that - my browser was upgraded over the weekend and now handles being inside the quotes a bit better, so I'm not stuck and can delete the lot. doesn't stop the software from being a pile of poo though!
    sid3windr
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,495
    You might need to go to the "desktop" setting or whatever it is called (non-mobile format screen) to get the html view.
    ^ Yeah, that was covered further upthread. I thought @Matthew was asking about the problem on mobile without any workarounds.