Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Re-release of Taj Mahal confirmed?

martynmartyn Reading, UKMember Posts: 148
The following video from Lego just appeared in my facebook news:

https://www.facebook.com/6665038402/videos/10155187795083403/

Comments

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,947
    Given that the original release wasn't #10256, it looks likely!
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,499
    Wonder if this "resurrected from the vault" thing is going to become a regular occurrence? 
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,968
    Very exciting news! At last an opportunity to get one at a (hopefully) reasonable price :-)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,603
    Interesting turn of events to say the least. It was one thing to re-do popular Star Wars sets but this is another thing entirely.
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,507
    2 big set re-releases in one year, is the new CEO looking to lower the value of peoples collections inbetween firing loads of people :o.
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 247
    Interesting line of dialogue by Jamie in that video - "It's not for me, it's for the fans! They've been requesting re-releases for years!"

The phrasing "re-releases" suggesting more old sets to be re-released in the near future? Likely depending on how well this Taj Mahal does.

The interesting thing is that unlike the 75192 UCS Falcon, this is not a complete redesign. This is literally just printing a new, updated box for the old set and throwing in a brick separator (What I assume to be the one extra piece).
    Bumblepantsomniumkiki180703Lego_Stargmonkey76Jern92
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    The production on this video is phenomenal!
    Jern92
    edited October 2017
    Legopants said:
    Very exciting news! At last an opportunity to get one at a (hopefully) reasonable price :-)

€330 isn't too bad :-)

• Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 247
    edited October 2017
    I feel bad for the guy in marketplace who's been trying to flog his boxed Taj Mahal and kept reducing the price. He's gonna have a mega hard time now.

^ Best get it on eBay quick before the re-release becomes common knowledge! ;-D

FollowsCloselykiki180703
  • alaskaguyalaskaguy Member Posts: 325
    edited October 2017
    This is AWESOME!!! I'm getting one for my kid TO BUILD.

These guys on Amazon offering sets for $5000 can suck it.
    https://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B002EEP3NY/ref=dp_olp_new_mbc?ie=UTF8&condition=new

Legopants
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,235
    $370 on US [email protected]
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,248
    Just to make sure we’re all 100% clear here, it’s definitely being rereleased.

Just received the following email:

Legopants
    I got the same email (:

• vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,145

Let’s see how the market reacts to this news.

https://www.ebay.de/itm/LEGO-Sculptures-Taj-Mahal-Neuauflage-des-10189-Sets-Originalverpackt-Set-10256/152765996196?hash=item2391901ca4:g:u~YAAOSwnTdZ90N~

Wow - that was quick! Posted at today at 16:25 - An eBay seller over here wants 1069.99 EUR for a set which hasn't even been released yet and will have an RRP of 330 EUR. That's quite a markup! Well done, that man!

sid3windr
  • vwong19vwong19 San DiegoMember Posts: 1,145
    The reissue of this set does nothing for me, but it does set an interesting precedent towards more reissues and collector confidence and perceived value.

The reissue only hurts collectors and not so much resellers. Resellers must have sold these off years ago to collectors. Now collectors have a set that is likely not worth a much... perhaps they don’t care.
  • RennyRenny USAMember Posts: 1,138
    I feel bad for the guy in marketplace who's been trying to flog his boxed Taj Mahal and kept reducing the price. He's gonna have a mega hard time now.
    Yes, his listing will definitely take a big hit but I'm sure there will be collectors out there that still want the original set number. Bad timing.  Curious now with the recent re-releases it seems everything is fair game again.  Great news for those that missed the boat on these big, iconic sets. 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 306
    ...so does the new one come with a David Beckham minifigure or
    sid3windrSumoLego
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,406
    2 big set re-releases in one year, is the new CEO looking to lower the value of peoples collections inbetween firing loads of people :o.
    I guess if he is in the job for five years or so it makes sense. Short term gain by selling these (no design costs, no advertising needed) but longer term problems that people don't use big LEGO sets as investment, which will hit future sales. But who cares about longer term problems, when you can make money in the short term. It is like short-term parliaments, think about now and forget later.

It is a shame if they don't update based on new parts from the past decade.

Of course, reselling will still go on but just shift to short stocks and quick flips instead.
    danstraindepotdrdavewatford
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,382
    I have pretty much zero interest in this.
    gmonkey76
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,695
    ^ Yet, here you are.  ;)
    stevemackLuLegoSumoLegoJern92RJAS1972
    Wait until you do an extremely large MOC that needs a load of white parts (instead of tan).

• kiki180703kiki180703 Montreal, CanadaMember Posts: 1,027
    I bricklinked this last year for about the double of the price... Had I known it would've been rerealeased I wouldn't have done it. Oh well..
    SumoLego
  • stevemackstevemack 1567km Drive From BillundMember Posts: 880
    Isn’t this really boring to build I seem to remember reading?
    FollowsClosely
  • teal93mr2teal93mr2 USAMember Posts: 922
    My personal opinion is that it will definitely hurt the reseller market.  Based on the bricklink data post above, only 26 units old and new sold!  I feel like most people that want that set currently have it.  Of course there will always be folks who crave "the original" set but I would venture to guess that 90% of folks will not mind having the reissue.
    Legopants
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    This would have been on my want list, but after having a less-than-ideal time when I visited the Taj Mahal back in February, I am content with Bricklinking the JK Brickworks version (plus the much smaller size will be easier to display).
    I have already marked the date on my calendar as a reminder to buy.

It's too bad Lego will not just let you pay RIGHT NOW and ship it to you whenever it is released. If they did, I would have given them my credit card # by now (:
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 468
    Won't be buying it but I'm very happy for those of you who missed out the first time around and can enjoy the build without paying ridiculous after market prices. Crossing fingers for an updated Market Street, Cafe Corner and Green Grocer. I definitely WOULD be interested in seeing those three sets released after missing out on them during my Dark Ages.
    LegopantsLostInTranslationmak0137MattPetersen
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 468
    I'm also very amused by the people commenting on the main page in response to this rerelease by saying things along the lines of 'So Lego are just repeating old sets now? Why don't they make some new/original sets?' totally ignoring all of the actual new/original sets that they're continuing to produce. And all it took was a Taj Mahal and UCS MF rerelease to bring out the complainers :-)
    LegopantsAanchirtallblocktooSumoLegostluxMattPetersen
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 672
    Come on, Eiffel Tower! 
    bluedragon
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 537
    @GeordiePaul ; Agreed about the remake complaints. There is lots of original content made by TLG. Also, one look at the City (and, in general, Star Wars) set roster over the years tells you that TLG has no problem with remakes/redesigns if it will be a seller. And most folks are, I think, happy with that.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,245
    compared to pictures of the real thing, it would have benefitted from a redesign. the 1 * 6 * 2 arches could have been replaced by two 1 * 3 * 2 half arches.
    the smaller domes could be made with dome pieces, the top spires could be gold or dark tan...
    dougtsFollowsClosely
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I'm happy to see this re-released but the more I think about it, the more disappointed I get that it is an exact duplicate rather than an updated, modernized version. I'm don't own the original set but I'm not sure if I want to spend so much on an old design. I bet if it were designed today, the set would look much more impressive.
    dougtsgmonkey76drdavewatford
    edited October 2017
    I don't own the original set but I'm not sure if I want to spend so much on an old design.
    Isn't the whole basis of the "collector market" that people talk so much about "protecting", and supposedly of supreme importance, just people spending a lot of money on old designs?

If people are willing to spend $1500 or whatever on an old design that originally sold for $300 (or whatever), seems like Lego would do well to pocket some of that cash for itself with a re-release - and make would-be buyers quite happy in the process.
    datsunrobbie
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    alaskaguy said:
    I don't own the original set but I'm not sure if I want to spend so much on an old design.
    Isn't the whole basis of the "collector market" that people talk so much about "protecting", and supposedly of supreme importance, just people spending a lot of money on old designs?

If people are willing to spend $1500 or whatever on an old design that originally sold for $300 (or whatever), seems like Lego would do well to pocket some of that cash for itself with a re-release - and make would-be buyers quite happy in the process.
    I'm sure there are "collectors" that are willing to spend $1.5K on an old set. I'm not one of those people. I'm commenting on the value of this release to me personally and from that point of view, I'd much rather have a more modern model of the Taj Mahal than an old, blocky design.

I appreciate how much lego design has evolved and improved over time. I like how much more detailed and imaginative today's buildings are. I really don't want the same old design from 10 years ago. I want to see what the designers can do with that concept today.
    drdavewatford
  • chrisalddinchrisalddin UKMember Posts: 2,860
    yes i like to have this set. so i can say i have this set.
    no i dont think it good enough for me to buy this set at that price, other set's come 1st.
    it done look like a build ware you do the same thing over and over again.
    i am happy to see a re-release. maybe lego well set up a system ware we can Vote for a set to be re-release.
    bea said:
    I'm sure there are "collectors" that are willing to spend $1.5K on an old set. I'm not one of those people. I'm commenting on the value of this release to me personally and from that point of view, I'd much rather have a more modern model of the Taj Mahal than an old, blocky design.

I appreciate how much lego design has evolved and improved over time. I like how much more detailed and imaginative today's buildings are. I really don't want the same old design from 10 years ago. I want to see what the designers can do with that concept today.
    Fair enough.  People have different perspectives.  Other than the very simple-to-build 31054 set (71 pieces, $4.59, Target) I built for my one year old the other day, I've not built a Lego set (following instructions) since...I dunno, the Galaxy Explorer (set 497) was a new release (1979). By the standards I'm familiar with, everything looks great, including the TM. There are so many more pieces!! There's a specialized piece for EVERYTHING these days!

The sets I am buying today will sit in the closet for 5-10-12 years, until my kid is old enough to have them.  That being the case, for my purposes, there's probably not a lot of difference between a TM designed 10 years ago and a TM designed today. By the time my kid gets it, both will be pretty old compared to what's on the shelf at that time (:
    maybe lego well set up a system ware we can Vote for a set to be re-release.
    Now that's a novel idea (:

alaskaguy said:
    there's probably not a lot of difference between a TM designed 10 years ago and a TM designed today.
    Obviously.
    alaskaguy said:
    By the time my kid gets it, both will be pretty old compared to what's on the shelf at that time (:
    well, it looks old compared to what we have today, but in 10 years, sets will not necessarily look better than today. remember a lot of designs got worse at the end of the 90's, beginning of 2000.
    pharmjod
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,616
    I'm also very amused by the people commenting on the main page in response to this rerelease...
    And the 700 other original sets that were released...
    GeordiePaulPate5346
    alaskaguy said:

It depends why they are buying the old set. Some will be buying to build, some buying to preserve the set as a collectable.

This set is almost the worst of both worlds - a new set (new number, differentiated from the old) with an old design. They could have done a new set with a new design or re-release the old design as the old set (same set number, box, etc). The former would be beneficial to people wanting to build a modern set, the latter for new collectors wanting the old set.

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,090
    One thing I’m finding quite amusing is the amount of “the new boss must be after quick cash” comments. LEGO’s production schedules are worked out a long way in advance, even without the normal design time there’s no way this could have been decided under the new management.
    SumoLegostluxLostInTranslationBumblepantsAyliffegmonkey76
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,616
    Shib said:
    One thing I’m finding quite amusing is the amount of “the new boss must be after quick cash” comments.
    You're ruining everyone's aggresively ignorant snap-criticism that lacks any thoughtful basis, with no historical insight.

Although, I did see the new CEO selling Lester polybags out of a hot dog stand in Tulsa, Oklahoma for $24.99 each. 

So, maybe there's some truth to those ridiculous statements.

(There is no truth to my ridiculous statement about Lester polybags being sold in Tulsa from a hot dog stand.)
    SirBrickalotOfLegostluxthedoctor46ShibBumblepantsdavetheoxygenmangmonkey76brickventuresmak0137
  • danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
    I don't own the original.  However I don't like the future of my LEGO 'Investment'.  This type of move will probably push me to a new hobby, and sell off some of my (way too much) LEGO collection.  However I am happy for the people that want it.  That being said a redesign would have been much more exciting.  As has been mentioned the UCS Falcon, at least has some great new features (and I do have the original of that).
    FollowsClosely
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,775
    I think I have to disagree with a lot of the comments about there being a better solution for the domes. As can be seen with the R2D2 and BB-8 sculptures, brick-built domes are still the best solution for even a dome with a simple, spherical shape, let alone a more complex one. Existing pieces can suffice for domes at specific sizes, but that’s unlikely to work here. And creating a new piece specifically for this set would not only be contrary to what people expect from a Creator Expert set, but would also take away what are probably the most interesting parts of this set’s building experience.

As an owner of the previous version who would’ve been unlikely to buy a new one in any event, the change I would’ve actually liked to see would have been making the Bright Yellow spires Warm Gold instead.
    BumblepantsLyichir
    edited October 2017
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=88293#T=S&O={"iconly":0}
    wouldn't that work for the middle size domes?

for small ones, the 4x4 dome doesn't allow to add a spire, but some rock or egg pieces do
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30286#T=S&O={"iconly":0}
    still probably too irregular
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,775
    Fauch said:
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=88293#T=S&O={"iconly":0}
    wouldn't that work for the middle size domes?

for small ones, the 4x4 dome doesn't allow to add a spire, but some rock or egg pieces do
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30286#T=S&O={"iconly":0}
    still probably too irregular
    The mid-size domes on the real Taj Mahal are pointed on the top, rather than flat on the top like the 3x3 quarter domes. And at this scale those domes have to be closer to 7x7 rather than 6x6 in order to match the width of the supports underneath. Even the medium domes on the set are somewhat narrower than they should be at the base, but the studs help add to the perceived width.