Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Your pet peeves that most people love

2»

Comments

• BrickByBrickBrickByBrick Massachusetts, USAMember Posts: 674
    bookmum said:
    Well I suppose I should say it - my peeve is those who say mini dolls are awful and the 'pink sets' are sexist. There we go. Let the debate begin..... 
    I think mini dolls are awful, but not for any reasons that have anything to do with sexism. I just don’t like them. For me, it’s because of my love for the minifig. The minifig design has been around for my entire life and has been a big part of it. I love that all of these years later, my minifigs fit right in with my sons’ minifigs. I collect minifigs first and foremost. I have no problem with LEGO offering something different, but...to me...the mini doll isn’t different enough. It still it meant for standard LEGO bricks and pieces. The hands, head pieces, etc. So as a minifig person, I’ve always felt Friends, Elves, etc. could have also gone with minifigs. I get that they wanted to do something different and don’t necessarily have a problem with it overall, but I’m just not a fan. The one mini doll I have...Wonder Woman...is only in my collection because I wanted the invisible motorcycle, which my minifig Wonder Woman proudly rides.

To me, mini dolls aren’t awful because of some bigger meaning; they’re just awful because I don’t like them compared to minifigs.
    My thoughts exactly. I happen to like a fair share of friends sets, and the design of elves sets are pretty cool, but where I really start to dislike minidolls is the Disney princess theme. I'm a big Disney fan, so I collect as much Disney Lego as I can ( not counting most Marvel and Star Wars because I don't have that kind of money). The big disconnect for me was when the Disney Castle and CMF line came out. If there were no minidolls, all the figs would work when displayed together, but with the two different designs, we lose some of the customizability of Lego because minidoll parts are no longer compatible. 

Also, they can't rotate their hands, which bugs me but that's a different story. I think Lego could have done friends with minifigures and been at least as successful if they did it to the same caliper as today's minidoll sets.
    Yodaliciouscatwrangler
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    I don't know if this change was popular, so perhaps this is inappropriate for my own thread, but: The new wall panel pieces... Suffice to say, I liked the old ones with the indents at the top and bottom (though I found those annoying as a child!), because they lead to more stability and a nice visual variance.

But that's probably uncontroversial on here. And of course I understand why Lego made the change; the new ones would have pleased me as a child, whether it was due to my own incompetence or merely my lack of extra 1x2 bricks. No doubt simplicity weighs much more heavily than other concerns now.
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,858
    I don't know if this change was popular, so perhaps this is inappropriate for my own thread, but: The new wall panel pieces... Suffice to say, I liked the old ones with the indents at the top and bottom (though I found those annoying as a child!), because they lead to more stability and a nice visual variance.

But that's probably uncontroversial on here. And of course I understand why Lego made the change; the new ones would have pleased me as a child, whether it was due to my own incompetence or merely my lack of extra 1x2 bricks. No doubt simplicity weighs much more heavily than other concerns now.
    Yeah, the indents in the corners were not bad, but I imagine the mold was changed primarily for other reasons… to give the part a more typical even-numbered width, and to remove the overhang in the back that was sort of a weak point and prone to bending or breaking when stepped on. Removing the cutouts was probably a secondary consideration to make it more similar to/compatible with other wall/door/window pieces that lacked those sorts of cutouts.
  • clickabrickclickabrick SuffolkMember Posts: 16
    A minor irritation for me is the minifig hand design. It seems to have a logical top (extended part) and bottom (round part). I think they should be rounded both ends, as whenever I display a minifig holding something angled towards their head it looks like they’ve contorted their hand down.
    Or perhaps this is just my OCD speaking...

Brickfan50catwrangler
  • rdflegordflego in a world of his ownMember Posts: 324
    bookmum said:
    Well I suppose I should say it - my peeve is those who say mini dolls are awful and the 'pink sets' are sexist. There we go. Let the debate begin..... 
    Absolutely agree with you for several reasons;
    1. Mini dolls help me build at a more realistic scale due to their human design
    2. Mini dolls come with more accessories and realistic appliances
    3. 'pink sets' have common pieces in a vast variety of useful colours
    4. They make use of the 'mini-peg' system
    5. I could go on
    mak0137