Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

What is the next set to be remade?

1235»

Comments

  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,899
    I agree Eiffel Tower is bound to happen again as a large set but I cannot imagine them copy/pasting the old one. It's very blocky and outdated looking. 
    AstrobricksFizyxbricktuaryAyliffeSumoLegoMynatt
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 493
    edited November 2020
    The one thing I've noticed about most reissues is there was significant demand for it in retirement.  Overall, I don't think there will be lots of reissues.  When aftermarket demand is high and steady, they may reissue.  A lot of times, people lose interest in older sets or LEGO could just release an updated version of the model and that would be better.

    I don't know why the Ship in a Bottle was reissued, but I think the Saturn V was reissued for many reasons.  The ship is iconic, especially for an AFOL.  I've watched a ton of podcasting and live streams from people's homes because of the pandemic and Saturn V is the one LEGO set I've seen the most displayed in people's homes.  America and much of the world is entering a new space era and Saturn V is a good ship to keep people interested.  I would welcome a Shuttle Expedition reissue as well.  Other than that, Eiffel Tower like @Astrobricks sounds good too.
    BrickchapBrickfan50
  • bricktuarybricktuary Krakozhia (temporarily stuck in London)Member Posts: 764
    So we got Taj Mahal and the Vesta Turbine dragged from the archives. Surely that can't be it? 

    I'd love to see Grand Carousel come back. 

    And of course, it goes without saying, some remakes of classic space and castle would fly off the shelves. 
    Brickchap
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645


    And of course, it goes without saying, some remakes of classic space and castle would fly off the shelves. 
    And new space and castle themes would probably sell even better, especially if aimed at modern kids.
    SumoLegoMr_CrossBrickchap
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 526
    I wonder if they'll rerelease the Disney Castle #71040 with the updated pink exterior ;P
  • MarshallmarioMarshallmario Madison WIMember Posts: 144
    I would like to see the Old Fishing Shop reissued. It seemed very popular, more popular than the Ship in a Bottle? It was not for sale for as long as many other sets, it already sells for more than double the original price on eBay less than a year after being discontinued. It came in real high on the Brickset most popular set voting. All of this is just impressions as most facts concerning sets are never released. As a side thought the designer had several other seaside buildings submitted that were terrific but were not considered due to Ideas rules.
    bricktuary
  • karritkarrit USAMember Posts: 379
    mustang69 said:
    I wonder if they'll rerelease the Disney Castle #71040 with the updated pink exterior ;P

    Please NO!
    mustang69gmonkey76Mr_Cross
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,069
    CCC said:
    And new space and castle themes would probably sell even better, especially if aimed at modern kids.
    ... in the form of a City sub-theme, and Nexo Knights...
    Astrobricks
  • Ra226Ra226 Member Posts: 20
    I would love to see some of the original vintage Classic Space sets re-released.  With original box art, etc.  Hasbro has done this with transformers and it's been a really great way to get a mint copy of an old favorite without paying a fortune.  I'd vote for #928 or #6980.
    Brickchapteal93mr2MaffyDMr_Cross
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    What would they call it? Legends squared?


    Astrobricks
  • rmarkworthrmarkworth GermanyMember Posts: 87
    Ra226 said:
    I would love to see some of the original vintage Classic Space sets re-released.  With original box art, etc.  Hasbro has done this with transformers and it's been a really great way to get a mint copy of an old favorite without paying a fortune.  I'd vote for #928 or #6980.
    This would be really cool! They should've seen with Bennys Spaceship that there are a lot of fans of the "old" LEGO Space theme... 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Ra226 said:
    I would love to see some of the original vintage Classic Space sets re-released.  With original box art, etc.  Hasbro has done this with transformers and it's been a really great way to get a mint copy of an old favorite without paying a fortune.  I'd vote for #928 or #6980.
    This would be really cool! They should've seen with Bennys Spaceship that there are a lot of fans of the "old" LEGO Space theme... 
    Benny's Spaceship wasn't a re-release though. It was a modern re-interpretation of Classic Space. Compare it with the two requested above:


    Classic Space sets look completely outdated, as if they were designed 40 years ago. Mainly because that is what they are.


    BumblepantsAyliffestluxKungFuKennyiwybsFizyxgmonkey76thedingman5Mr_Cross
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,899
    Also, almost all the classic space era wing molds have been retired for years. Would be impossible to 1:1 them.
    Fizyxgmonkey76KungFuKennyMr_Cross
  • Ra226Ra226 Member Posts: 20
    I think I may have misread what OP meant by "remade" as "re-release."  Benny's was a great model, I love it, but it sure would be great to get some re-releases.  Good point about some of the molds being retired.  Still, if Hasbro could bring them out of retirement, maybe there's hope for Lego?
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Ra226 said:
     Good point about some of the molds being retired.  Still, if Hasbro could bring them out of retirement, maybe there's hope for Lego?
    No need to, when there are modern parts that do a better job.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 1,119
    CCC said:
    Ra226 said:
     Good point about some of the molds being retired.  Still, if Hasbro could bring them out of retirement, maybe there's hope for Lego?
    No need to, when there are modern parts that do a better job.

    And on top of that, I believe I've read in several places that most of those molds aren't around any more to bring out of retirement.  To produce the old pieces again would require entirely new molds and tooling.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,645
    Fizyx said:
    CCC said:
    Ra226 said:
     Good point about some of the molds being retired.  Still, if Hasbro could bring them out of retirement, maybe there's hope for Lego?
    No need to, when there are modern parts that do a better job.

    And on top of that, I believe I've read in several places that most of those molds aren't around any more to bring out of retirement.  To produce the old pieces again would require entirely new molds and tooling.
    Yes, "to bring out of retirement" is a misnomer, for anything that old it is "make new versions".

    stluxFizyxKungFuKenny
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    edited November 2020
    CCC said:
    Classic Space sets look completely outdated, as if they were designed 40 years ago. Mainly because that is what they are.
    Quite. Re-releases of Classic Space sets wouldn't be feasible for the reason already given (key elements are no longer made, and the original molds are likely encased in concrete and buried beneath one of the LEGO Company facilities anyway). Even aside from this, re-releases of those sets might be a joyful nostalgia trip for a tiny proportion of the fanbase, but it'd be a baffling irrelevance for everybody else.

    I wouldn't put it past LEGO to do something like this for 918, however:




    Also, lest we forget, we've already had this, from the Great LEGO Sets: A Visual History book:




    FizyxBumblepantsKungFuKenny560HeliportstluxpxchrisBrickchapAstrobricksgmonkey76
  • KungFuKennyKungFuKenny Somewhere between Ice Station Odyssey and FabulandMember Posts: 1,988
    re-releases of those sets might be a joyful nostalgia trip for a tiny proportion of the fanbase, but it'd be a baffling irrelevance for everybody else.
    This pretty much encapsulates how I see my Lego hobby vs how most people I meet view it... :-)

    Also, we did get a small dose of nostalgia with #40290



    JudgeChuck560HeliportstluxpxchrisdrdavewatfordFizyxBrickchapAstrobricksgmonkey76
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 437
    Don't forget #4002016 50 Years on Track. Well worth it if you can find a copy for a reasonable price.
    KungFuKennyFizyxBrickchap
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,635
    MrJackson said:
    Don't forget #4002016 50 Years on Track. Well worth it if you can find a copy for a reasonable price.
    Seconded - it's fantastic.
    KungFuKennyFizyxBrickchap
Sign In or Register to comment.

Shopping at LEGO.com or Amazon?

Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon

Recent discussions Categories Privacy Policy Brickset.com

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Brickset.com is a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, the Amazon.com.ca, Inc. Associates Program and the Amazon EU Associates Programme, which are affiliate advertising programs designed to provide a means for sites to earn advertising fees by advertising and linking to Amazon.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.