Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

For FREE to ALL: Exclusive Instructions for Rocket Ship "Arcade" Build (LEGO Manager Exclusive)

13»

Comments

• eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 571
    Me2 plz! Accidentally showed it to my 2yr old, and now he is adamant we have to make it!
  • f2iso100f2iso100 United StatesMember Posts: 54
    I'd love to have these instructions too! And my almost-four-year-old who love them even more! :) 
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,687
    Well, it looks like a few people decided to make this and enter it into the new Ideas contest with some changes. I doubt Lego will let them past the judging stage. 
    Pebblesjosekalelkiki180703
  • PebblesPebbles EnglandMember Posts: 173
    Well, it looks like a few people decided to make this and enter it into the new Ideas contest with some changes. I doubt Lego will let them past the judging stage. 
    :o I've just checked and you're correct. It seems they have a lot of supportive comments so not everyone realises that it's a copied design, fingers crossed they don't get any further in the competition.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,922
    Don't they know ideas is there for Lego to steal peoples ideas not the other way around :)

Wonder how they worked out how to make this small model with simple mechanism!
    SirBrickalotOfLego
    :o I've just checked and you're correct. It seems they have a lot of supportive comments so not everyone realises that it's a copied design, fingers crossed they don't get any further in the competition.
    I've flagged a few, but some of them don't look close enough to the original for me to have proof.
  • PeteMPeteM Gallifrey (near Bristol)Member Posts: 424
    samiam391 said:
    More instructions have been delivered to all PM/comment requests.

For those that are interested in the future, please send me a PM. It makes it easier for me. There may be a delay in receipt of the instructions, even if you see me commenting around the forum, so please be patient. I currently have a father in hospice care and while I don't mind distributing the instructions I would prefer to spend my very limited time on the forum in other ways.
    @samiam391 I think most of us have thanked you for doing this in the past, but Thank you again! We know that everyone's life does not revolve around this message board, but seeing you make the time to still send these out.. Thank you!
    Ditto here - only just realised that I never posted the thank you I had drafted (as that was where I found the incomplete message!) so . . . thank you!! :)
    Fizyx
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 542
    I too would also like to get instructions to this set.
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 960
    For all those of you who love this model, check out Chris McVeigh's similar style Star Wars models! They're so awesome! 

As I've posted on Twitter, I would love for a model like this (or anything by Chris) to be a future GWP... 

Awesome!  Reminds me a lot of the Sisyphus MOC from JK Brickworks...  I will not be sad at all if these kind of organic motion builds start becoming more prevalent, as they are all stupendous!
    catwrangler
    Yeah, I'm pretty ticked about it. The builder insisted that they had never seen it before I told them about it, but I have my doubts.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,566
    Well I guess we will never know. Not a big deal really. The one posted by OP is pretty obscure.
    I suppose this will just make it more accessible to the general public. 
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,652
    I thought the same @FowlerBricks as soon as I saw the post about it on FB. Just needs a photo inside to see the mechanism.
    FowlerBricksMooreFX
  • jnscoelhojnscoelho PortugalMember Posts: 542
    Can someone send me the instructions for this? I've asked the OP and I've already asked in the thread before, without success...
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 3,487
    I would like the instructions, please :)
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 873
    Perhaps the question should be - did the people at LEGO judging the competition know about the original model that this is CLEARLY based on?  It does look an awful lot like the original - as has been said already, I'd certainly be interested to see the mechanism inside - one day we'll find out!
    Fizyxesfrolios
  • green_papergreen_paper VancouverMember Posts: 10
    Thanks again samiam391. I want to commend you on your positive attitude on this matter. :)
    LittleLori
  • floridabrickfloridabrick Central FLMember Posts: 158
    I'd love to get a copy.  What do u say, fellow AFOL friend?  :-)
    mr_benn said:
    Perhaps the question should be - did the people at LEGO judging the competition know about the original model that this is CLEARLY based on?  It does look an awful lot like the original - as has been said already, I'd certainly be interested to see the mechanism inside - one day we'll find out!
    Yes. They did. I made sure of that. 
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,492
    lol, after lego has been accused so many times of rejecting successful ideas to later rip them off, this is kinda funny
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,869
    samiam391 said:
    It would definitely seem that someone abused the gift and used the instructions for their own personal gain to win a contest. 

If they truly did rip off the instructions then I hope one day they are challenged by their conscience.

It's a shame, but life is much too short to get upset about it. At the end of the day, I've probably distributed close to 200 copies of the instructions and will continue to do so for as long as people request them. The true joy for me in all of this is getting to help my fellow AFOLs and friends add a fun little model to their cities. Keep building!
    The assumption is that no one else was giving this design out or had lurked and saw the model and reverse built it. If the assumption is correct, then you hope karma balances this out. I would not worry about it too much and am glad you still will provide to those who want it as you have the best intentions IMO.

Im also not clear on how this design fits the rules for the Moments in space contest. I thought it had to be a moment in history related to space. All this winner represented was a coin op toy made like a space ship.. It would like if someone build a sedan with fins on it to reflect the designers space and jet motives... Just seems like a poor choice to me
    Fizyxmithridategmonkey76MooreFXdatsunrobbietomahawkersnowhitie
  • FizyxFizyx ColoradoMember Posts: 960
    samiam391 said:
    It would definitely seem that someone abused the gift and used the instructions for their own personal gain to win a contest. 

If they truly did rip off the instructions then I hope one day they are challenged by their conscience.

It's a shame, but life is much too short to get upset about it. At the end of the day, I've probably distributed close to 200 copies of the instructions and will continue to do so for as long as people request them. The true joy for me in all of this is getting to help my fellow AFOLs and friends add a fun little model to their cities. Keep building!
    The assumption is that no one else was giving this design out or had lurked and saw the model and reverse built it. If the assumption is correct, then you hope karma balances this out. I would not worry about it too much and am glad you still will provide to those who want it as you have the best intentions IMO.

Im also not clear on how this design fits the rules for the Moments in space contest. I thought it had to be a moment in history related to space. All this winner represented was a coin op toy made like a space ship.. It would like if someone build a sedan with fins on it to reflect the designers space and jet motives... Just seems like a poor choice to me

Yeah, I think the most frustrating thing about this for me isn't that they're taking credit for something they ripped off (which does annoy me a lot) but that literally every other build on the blog post announcing the winner is better than that one.
    gmonkey76FowlerBricks
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,139
    I don't think they ripped it off. There were other similar models entered too. It is a fairly obvious choice as it fits in well with a few themes (City, modulars) as well as Space.

But it doesn't look that good. Other rides look better, but I guess they also have other factors at play that they don't mention.
    BumblepantsFizyx
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,348
    Yikes! My mailbox is full once again.

Quite the busy week for me so please give me some time to respond and distribute more instructions.

Thanks!
    MooreFXBrickamorekillerads
  • esfroliosesfrolios spainMember Posts: 8
    mr_benn said:
    Yes. They did. I made sure of that. 
    Well, one of my entries was a obscure ripoff of the Keanu Reeves Legoland Miniland Scale figure. I'm sure I didn't make it because of the judges saw it clearly. Shame, shame on me :P
  • killeradskillerads 123rtMember Posts: 1
    i just want to build this rocket ,it  looks cooool!  can you give me an  instructions and parts list?   please!!!!
  • Gooker1Gooker1 Member Posts: 598
    samiam391 said:
    Yikes! My mailbox is full once again.

Quite the busy week for me so please give me some time to respond and distribute more instructions.

Thanks!
    :)  
  • darkstonegreydarkstonegrey USAMember Posts: 15
    They chose the wrong submission - I think this entry has the smoother rocking mechanism which is most important for a kinetic build:

https://ideas.lego.com/challenges/1b817aba-3990-4e6d-a17f-7a59a948d02f/application/45e26e84-9fdd-4064-8f83-f3d85b7c5297
    Brainslugged
  • foosa420foosa420 Austin TexasMember Posts: 1
    Hello samiam391.  I am interested in receiving the instructions as well.  This is so very cool and would be a lot of fun building with my daughters.
  • MooreFXMooreFX CaliforniaMember Posts: 77
    The Sasquatch doth protest to much, methinks.
    SumoLego
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,526
    Big Foot's not real :-)
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,566
    If he/she says they didn't know about it no reason not to believe them. It is pretty different on the outside at least if you look closely. And it doesn't really matter much anyway. Apologies to @Sasquatchulism for prompting a rather unfair discussion without thinking it through carefully. 
    pharmjodSumoLegotomahawkermak0137
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,279
    ....99.9999999999%...
    0.0000000001%... so you're telling me there's a chance!

Nonetheless, I agree with @Bumblepants, and I'm happy @Sasquatchulism was able to clarify.
    Don
    Yes, I was wrong to accuse him of stealing the design, thus prompting others to do the same. Congratulations to @Sasquatchulism for making 1st place! I look forward to seeing your build become a GWP!
    Bumblepantssnowhitie
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    Politics..... BAH!!

This is even better that the Zombie van.

I want. PM sent. (^_^)
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,539
    edited April 2018
    I'll start by saying, I'm the guy that posted the Cosmic Rocket Ride over on the Ideas Contest.
    Congratulations on winning the contest!

There's a nice video featuring @Sasquatchulism over on LEGO Fan Tube where he discusses his build and winning the contest - you can find it here.
    CCCbandit778FowlerBricksLegogeekFizyxsnowhitie
  • LegogeekLegogeek Orange County, CaliforniaMember Posts: 711
    I'll start by saying, I'm the guy that posted the Cosmic Rocket Ride over on the Ideas Contest.
    Congratuations on winning the contest!
    WOW! Congratulations!
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 2,032
    I know there was some talk earlier last year (shown above) about this design being ripped off for a contest. 

...am I the only one who immediately thought of this thread when the Ideas GWP was announced? Perhaps the Ideas contest is the same one referred to back in 2018? I know they're not identical, but the similarities are there. 

A classic case of a fan plagiarizing Lego, Lego accepting it and releasing it to the masses, thus plagiarizing themselves. A tale as old as time.
    LEGOFan2starwars4ever