Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego Cavern

TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
Hello!

I am after a little inspiration and advice for a potential project.

I have a picture frame that is around 4 studs deep and 50 studs long and 30 studs high. 

I am thinking of building a Lego Cavern in cross section in it  (if that makes sense). With stalactites hanging from the roof and perhaps a couple of cavemen enjoying a nice mammal diner.

The trouble is my building skills are pants, so I need some models to copy for the rock walls of the cavern and the stalactites and stalagmites.

Are thereany official sets that I could learn from of you you know of any suitable MOCs with free instructions that I could learn from?

Thanks 

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,806
    This is one of the coolest caves out there ...

For yours, at only 4 studs depth you will have problems with making it look three dimensional - just a minifigure facing sideways needs 4 studs depth.

However, if you want it to look like a cave, you could easily copy the foreground of the picture above, repeating something similar at the top as well. You just need a variety of tall slopes, with some 1x1 cheese slopes on top.At the edges you'd be able to do a few layers to give a bit of three dimensionality but you'll need to keep the foreground clear in the middle if you want minifigs and so on.
    LegogramLego_StarricecakeMattPetersen
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    @CCC that is indeed a cool cavern. I really like some of the rocks at the bottom left. As you suggest I aim to make it a cave, so I will be looking to build almost an "O" shape of rocks. 

I did make a small mistake, my frame is 6 stud deeps, so the minifigures will have a little room, but won't be able to go mental or swing their cat. 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,572
    You could add a photo/backdrop behind it to give it the illusion of more depth? 

I like the idea!
    TheFew
    You could add a photo/backdrop behind it to give it the illusion of more depth? 

I like the idea!
    Yeah perhaps a backdrop of a long deep cave.

I am thinking of building it in an Ikea Kasseby frame, which is mounted horizontally. 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,461
    The #76052 Classic Batcave set has some pretty cool sections that may fill the bill. Not as amazing overall as the one @CCC posted, but you can download the instructions to see how they get put together.
    TheFew
    The #76052 Classic Batcave set has some pretty cool sections that may fill the bill. Not as amazing overall as the one @CCC posted, but you can download the instructions to see how they get put together.
    Thanks for the idea. I will take a peek.
  • KlintanKlintan SwedenMember Posts: 52
    #79110 Silver Mine Shootout might contain some ideas on how you can build rock formations.

This cave almost look like it was built with lego: https://2.bp.blogspot.com/-QK_R0GJLr50/VzIJfPxp4SI/AAAAAAAARcg/r1041PxcOt0gwtZjhlUn6GiuauEB7bycgCKgB/s1600/10.jpg
    Ohh thanks. I have forgotten about part 54782!