Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Buying Bulk / Price per pound.

2»

Comments

• TyoSoloTyoSolo Member Posts: 539
    edited July 2012
    @kenny - he accidentally put the message on your activity feed.

@Countryboy, Just for future reference, the PM function is reached via the "Message" hyperlink to the far right of the username, and not through the large "activity" box.

On topic, I've just picked up 8.5kg for £49ish from eBay. So that works out at roughly £2.50 per lb, or £5.75. That is of course, if the weight is accurate :-/
  • CountryboyCountryboy Member Posts: 36
    I know (Easy mistake, this forum structure is not the best.....). And have since sent him a PM on the 10th as well that he has not responded to. Not a big deal.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,405
    I have found that more and more people are starting to know that the Legos they have are worth big money and they are selling accordingly. Garage sales and thrift stores, I find, are some of the best places to find great deals on Lego. I can usually grab good clean Lego below the $5-10 "fair" prices.
  • maybertsmayberts Member Posts: 68
    edited July 2012
    Hi all,

A colleague of mine has brought in a big storage container full of Lego, what is the best why of pricing this up?
    They have some rare things like the DKblue arch 1x8x2 and the have at least 4 of them.

I am hoping to buy it all, but want to get a good price. How would you guys price it up?
  • caperberrycaperberry LondonMember Posts: 2,226
  • OldLegoOldLego Member Posts: 28
    edited July 2013
    I blew a lot of money this year on legos...and am now being told that it really is not budget friendly (per my wife) so I'm wanting to do more of my own creations.

My question is where do YOU get your bulk bricks? I've started rolling around looking for garage sales and whatnot...and I look on Ebay and have made a few purchases. My feeling is that anything I can get on Ebay for X dollars...I can usually find it on Bricklink for X-30% or so. Is there a special place on bricklink to find bulk lots? I've tried poking around and haven't found the right category.

I also make periodic visits to the local lego store and fill up one of those containers every time....but given the randomness there...may take a generation to get what I need.

Guess I'm wondering if there is some silver bullet to buying bulk I haven't thought of yet?

Thanks in advance.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,554
    I pick a seller that has a lot of the parts I want, then see what else they have reasonably cheap that I might use. I can easily start off with £10 of parts in a store, then add on another £40 of interesting parts for my MOC kit that are cheap enough from that seller.
  • joel4motionjoel4motion United KingdomMember Posts: 959
    You can go into your local Lego store (if you have one) and ask if they'll sell you full boxes of the PAB wall contents. If not then well stacked PAB cups are pretty economical...
  • emilewskiemilewski CT, USAMember Posts: 475
    See if there is a LUG near you and join it. Not only is it a way to meet other local AFOLs but they often have drafts of sets which is one way to get parts. And then there is the annual LUGBULK purchasing opportunity that LUG members get to participate in.
    BuriedinBricksPaperballpark
  • LegoRoccoLegoRocco Member Posts: 100
    HE SAID LEGOS! Just kidding, but like @emilewski join an LUG or use PAB cups. Also, sometimes on eBay there you'll find a rare listing of a few gallon bags of parts, if that's what you're looking for. Before you buy those, make sure it looks legit. Scams can happen often that way.
  • jamiewjamiew Member Posts: 165
    Craigslist! I've bought tons of lots on the cheap and scored some incredible deals
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950
    Place a wanted add on craigslist and wait. While you wait, watch craigslist like a hulk. I just purchased 30 pounds of blocks for $200 from a for sale add. But you need to be fast on the for sale adds. Oh, and that lot had a complete with instructions #4842 Hogwarts Castle. Paid for the lot in just one set!
  • OldLegoOldLego Member Posts: 28
    thanks for the comments...didn't ever think of buying a full box from the lego store. Okay...at least I'm going down the right path and there isn't some super secret hidden place...at least one you're willing to tell me about!
  • gmpirategmpirate Member Posts: 1,654

Place a wanted add on craigslist and wait. While you wait, watch craigslist like a hulk.

You wouldn't like me when I'm angry!
    FollowsClosely
  • wagnerml2wagnerml2 Belleville, IllinoisMember Posts: 1,376
    @Oldlego - where are you located? I am in St. Louis. Just put 32 pounds of bulk on Craigslist. was asking $275, but would do $250 plus shipping for a fellow bricksetter. PM me if you have any interest.
  • The_IveysThe_Iveys USA::Florida::ValricoMember Posts: 64
    Saw an ad in my local craigslist this am for "over 12 pounds" of various Lego Creator pieces (no instructions, manuals, etc) Ina bin, asking $200.00 for the lot. Doing the math in my head, that's a little over $8 a pound. Seems kind of high to me, but I am new to this type of thing... any thoughts from you folks out there? :-)

Thank you in advance!!

The_Iveys
  • sdetskysdetsky Member Posts: 35
    Doing the math on a calculator more accurately comes up to almost $17 per pound. Without anything unique, the typical view is that anything over $10 per pound is too much for standard bulk pieces.
    BTHodgemanMorkMan
    Thank you very much, sdetsky... For the info and math correction... Lol
    My staple is buying bulk collections off CL and rebuilding sets to sell and keep. In a pure bulk purchase, I always figure about $4-$5 per pound. Maybe a little more if I can see specific sets in the lot.
  • programmerdanprogrammerdan Member Posts: 27
    Very helpful. I was wondering the same thing -- I'll keep an eye out for deals in my area on CL that fit this metric. Thanks so much, sdetsky and wagnerml2.
    I used to pick up some GREAT deals on CL, but those have been drying up. I have an ad that I run every 2 weeks or so on CL with my phone number stating that I am a collector/dealer looking to buy large lots. I have had much more success with this route over the last 18-24 months. I just bought a collection on Friday this way.
    FollowsClosely
  • BTHodgemanBTHodgeman Member Posts: 622
    ^ I also have had some success placing WTB (Want to Buy) ads on CL.

Not nearly as good as the types of deals I was regularly making 4-5 years ago, but there are still some people downsizing, looking to get rid of collections, etc.
    I have had great luck with parents/teenagers who are looking to off-load a collection to buy a car or something. The kids I bought my stuff from on Friday met me in the parkinglot at the mall and took the money right inside to buy an XBOX One.
    BTHodgeman
    This is great info, all the way around. Thanks to everyone!!
  • blasterfishblasterfish Member Posts: 20
    question i also want to know the price per kg in euro in Europe lets say Germany the Netherlands because usually i try not to buy in Switzerland but when i visit my mum in the Netherlands . And also where could you find bulk lots in Vaud,Geneve?
  • klatu003klatu003 Hobbiton, Shire, Middle EarthMember Posts: 721
    I have tried garage sales and Craigslist, but there is a least one LEGO buying AFOL in my hood that vacuums up all the low-hanging-LEGO before I get there. One day I found a Bricklink store with a very local address. Oh well, new bricks don't need to be washed and clone brands removed.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Has the $7-10/lb rate changed?

• FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 950
    I usually keep it under $6 unless there are some great sets in the lot.