Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Toys R Us bankruptcy filing?

12345679»

Comments

• dannyrwwdannyrww WisconsinMember Posts: 1,343
    I read it that way too...the store within a store, and reviving some of their in house brands sounds like it is a first step to bringing the store back as I read it. I did try contacting the press e-mail they listed on their site and all I got was a bounce back form e-mail about their closing.
  • MrShinyAndNewMrShinyAndNew Member Posts: 253
    I gotta say I'm not really clear on what good a "Store" brand is. They don't make anything. They only sell things other people make. A new business doing things completely differently than the old business, but operating under the same name? This doesn't really mean much and I think consumers are smart enough to notice.

It's different if they actually manufactured stuff. Then their brand would stand for the quality of that manufactured thing. But Toys R Us literally sells the same junk as every other toy vendor. Why would anyone care about the brand? The only value they offered was huge stores with lots of selection.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    It's just name recognition.  If you asked what store people thought of when they hear "toy store", you'd hear Toys R Us 99% of the time.  That's all they mean.  It's why most iconic companies often retain their public name (or at least part of it) despite being bought.

The odd part here is the changing to Geoffrey's Tox Box.  Sure, if you shopped at TrU you likely know who Geoffrey is, but it doesn't have anywhere near the recognition.  It's quite baffling.
    gmonkey76
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 408
    I assume they changed the name to attempt to separate themselves from their bankruptcy brand, the same name that owes millions in severance to it's employees.  The one positive I see about the store in a store is it will surely cut down on wasted money to thievery and useless employees.
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    PapaBear said:
    I assume they changed the name to attempt to separate themselves from their bankruptcy brand, the same name that owes millions in severance to it's employees.  The one positive I see about the store in a store is it will surely cut down on wasted money to thievery and useless employees.
    I mean, if a company owed me money I don't think a name change would make me forget.  It can't be public optics either since they aren't trying to hide their roots.
    SprinkleOtter
    edited October 2018
    It's just an attempt, kind of like how Puff Daddy changed his name to P. Diddy long after he was associated with a few murders.  Some people don't even know it's the same guy now.  If successful, it would be more helpful years down the road when more people forget and some never knew.  Of course the people they owe money to will never forget.  They would say it's better legally and for business to try to hide themselves in a new name.
    You would be surprised how stupid the majority of the public is as well.  A lot of people know who the Energizer Bunny is, but in terms of brand sales that mascot helped Duracell more than Energizer.  People liked the bunny so they wanted to buy the batteries, but they couldn't remember the name ENERGIZER even though it is in the title of the mascot.  Duracell also adopted a pink bunny mascot to make it even harder on the public.  A lot of people don't pay attention to names, they just like the bright colors and graphics.
    MegtheCatoldtodd33
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,516
    ^Fun fact, the Duracell bunny predated the Energizer bunny by over a decade, but Energizer got a trademark for it in the US so Duracell had to stop using pink bunnies in ads.
    PapaBear
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,385
    PapaBear said:
    A lot of people don't pay attention to names, they just like the bright colors and graphics.
    Huh?  I like bright colors and graphics.
    PapaBeargmonkey76SprinkleOtter
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,691
    ^ & ^^ Thanks for throwing all my battery bunny purchasing motivations into a blender! Now how am I supposed to function as a human being (who needs batteries)?
    SprinkleOtter
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 1,050
    Just buy whichever brand is on sale this week.
    PapaBearSprinkleOtterBaby_Yoda
    ^Fun fact, the Duracell bunny predated the Energizer bunny by over a decade, but Energizer got a trademark for it in the US so Duracell had to stop using pink bunnies in ads.
    Oh, I didn't know that.  I didn't even know a Duracell bunny existed until I heard about the story.  I guess both their revenue increased from the ad campaign but Energizer was the one spending all the money for it.
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,358
    weird, I knew the duracell bunny but not the energizer one. doesn't ring a bell now that I look at it. kinda looks like when a brand wants to "modernize" its mascot and it ends up horrible.