Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2018 Modular Rumours

Comments

• HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 478
    A miniature USC MF to go into the Assembly Square AFOL's apartment.
    LegoboyYodalicious
  • Casper_vd_KorfCasper_vd_Korf Twente, The NetherlandsMember Posts: 49
    A miniature USC MF to go into the Assembly Square AFOL's apartment.
    Which takes over half of the room. ;-)
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,320
    The mini ones that already exist are fine for that. Take a look at the advent calendars.
  • windjammerwindjammer Newcastle, UKMember Posts: 30
    I'm not sure really matters whether it's a bar, hospital, police station, film shop or whatever. Most things can be in most buildings. For example, the brick bank could easily be a trendy wine bar and look identical on the outside. Palace Cinema could easily be offices or a restaurant and look identical. Etc, etc..

What really matters is what the building looks like.  All the modulars are really cool, and they all have their own style. I just hope that whatever the next modular is, it has its own style just as the rest have.

OrmskirkBrickslentil7BS
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    Istokg said:
    here in the USA we say "corner drug store'...
    Here in the UK, a 'drug store' would have an entirely different meaning.

Medicines and tablets are things you buy from the chemist. Drugs are what you'd get from a dealer... ;)
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    edited September 2017
    Let's see, the Assembly Square had a bakery, dentist office, music store, photography studio, and a dance studio.  Any of those could have been stand alone sets.

This year they should do a school.
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 976
    Istokg said:
    How about a Drug Store/Chemist/Apothek and a Ice Cream Parlor/Sweets Shop... 2 buildings, one baseplate.  If it's a corner location, here in the USA we say "corner drug store'...
    I'm on board with that.  Maybe the drug store with the soda bar in back?  We get a soda jerk mini figure!
    Istokgpharmjod
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,849
    edited September 2017
    Obviously, as you can imagine, I'd love to have a druggist/ chemist/apothecary/ pharmacy in LEGO form. I'm doubtful that will ever happen, but I also wasn't expecting a laundromat so who knows. 
    SumoLegocatwranglerbluedragonGoldchainssnowhitie
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,505
    Istokg said:
    "corner drug store"...
    Paired with a Lego Store - for those that are addicted...
    Casper_vd_KorfJern92
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,613
    As you've brought up the construction site, this what I had to say about it back when the project was under 500 supporters.

"Bravo, not only is this an original concept it's an idea that has been explored several times by LEGO and many others however you've taken it to the next level of awesomeness, detail and originality to make this a worthy project and concept of being on the market. The use of Technic bricks, beams and CBS elements really make this an outstanding innovation of parts usage much like the highly skilled designers of LEGO do for the larger sets. It breaks up the traditional 'Modular Building' style and gives is a breath of fresh air without clashing too much with the existing sub-theme; visually can stand on its own as well in its proposed context."

I've met the builder at BrickLive London and managed to see the model in the flesh. He done a splendid job on the design. Such a shame it wasn't considered a set, I would totally own one!
    catwranglerMr_Cross
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    It was a great model but most modular collectors)builders would be upset having a limited production Ideas set in the line. 
    SumoLego
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    It was a great model but most modular collectors)builders would be upset having a limited production Ideas set in the line. 
    I cannot tell if your being "tongue-in-cheek" or not but my first thought was uhh...fishing store? It's a minifig scale building on a 32x32 plate that many Modular collectors will add to their display.   
    PapaBear
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    ecmo47 said:
    I cannot tell if your being "tongue-in-cheek" or not but my first thought was uhh...fishing store? It's a minifig scale building on a 32x32 plate that many Modular collectors will add to their display.   
    Except it's not a modular.
    gmonkey76sid3windrSumoLego
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Market Street!

/ducks/
    gmonkey76MynattScogaliLegogramSumoLegoOmastarFollowsCloselyGoldchainssnowhitie
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,189
    I would not be against another mod akin to PS, one building a small shop of some sort , and a townhouse in the other. The best thing many think of with Pet shop is you can split it up.
    As for a straight '16x32' set.. IMO LEGO makes far too much with Modulars being full '32x32' type set (yes I know that the building is not really 32x32) to make a mod that would also be half of that cost (but LEGO would probably still try to get 130-140 USD for it and it would not sell well). I see that type of building more for the Creator 'mini-mod' line than an actual mod.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 279
    Adzbadboy said:
    ... not only is this an original concept it's an idea that has been explored several times by LEGO and many others...
    Wait... what?  That's about as direct as a contradiction can get.
    ReesesPiecessid3windrBumblepants
    devilhead said:
    Adzbadboy said:
    ... not only is this an original concept it's an idea that has been explored several times by LEGO and many others...
    Wait... what?  That's about as direct as a contradiction can get.
    My bad, should've gone over the comment before copy and pasting it... :P

I was just referring to it being a non-licenced and generic concept which was wonderfully executed given LEGO has already done some very dull construction sites because they were branded as LEGO City.
  • CharmiefcbCharmiefcb SydneyMember Posts: 86
    I would love a small hospital. Or even a medical centre/doctors surgery on the base with 2 or 3 apartments spread out over 2 floors.
    catwrangler
  • doedoe BathMember Posts: 5
    Did anybody mention that Ninjago City could be seen as one of the modular line?

This would open up the possibility of an architectural change in the design of the modulars.

However, I would like to see a hospital. This would make a great addition and would offer playability for kids as well.

Another idea would be a carpentry workshop with a toolshop on the first floor.
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 746
    It would also be neat to have a gym, exercise class or a karate dojo.
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 661
    As an educator, I would like to see a school.  it can be once of those city private schools.  If there was a school to educate these children properly, maybe there will less need for all these Police stations.
    It would also be neat to have a gym, exercise class or a karate dojo.
    I'm amused because the Friends theme has already had a school, gym, and karate dojo. :P

I get the impression that the City theme generally shoots for more aspirational play over real-world familiarity, hence the emphasis on exciting adult professions like police officers and firefighters over situations most kids would be directly familiar with in their day-to-day life. Lego Friends tends to favor social play, with sets that are more aimed at a kid's frame of reference (though there are still aspirational elements at play there as well, with the main characters being high schoolers who can drive and participate in a number of entry-level jobs).
    ReesesPiecesAanchirmak0137Omastarsid3windrlentil
  • gunther.schnitzelgunther.schnitzel Member Posts: 92
    edited September 2017
    If Dublin City is anything to go by:
    An 'independent' coffee shop (with a Starbucks either side of it :)), a seperate donut shop beside it, a 'pound shop' (Dealz / Eurosaver etc.) and maybe a burger joint on the top floor (e.g. Bunsen Burgers). Last year it would have been burritos instead of donuts.

I really hope it is back to 32 x 32, not a massive fan of Assembly Square, feels too claustrophobic, probably should have been 64 x 32.
    Daragh
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 329
    With Assembly Square, I recommend building the blue building on the smaller baseplate (not like the directions tell you). Then you can separate it from the other two buildings in the set. We actually put the Brownstone building (pet shop set), in between. So it looks like this (from left to right) Flower shop, Bakery, Brownstone, then the music studio building on the end. Looks a LOT better this way imo.
    RogerKirksid3windr
  • AanchirAanchir United StatesMember Posts: 2,749
    I expect next year's Modular Building to go back to around a Brick Bank price point, same as how the next modular building after Town Hall went back down to around a Pet Shop price point. Both Assembly Square and Town Hall were meant to be deluxe sets celebrating an anniversary of the series as a whole, although Town Hall wasn't as heavily promoted as such. So I wouldn't expect the Assembly Square to represent a new status quo for the modular buildings, any more than Town Hall was.

Now, when it comes time for the Modular Buildings series' 15th or 20th anniversary, all bets are off. ;)

As far as subject matter is concerned, I don't have any particular expectations, as I've never put much stock in the idea that LEGO plants clues for what their next building will be, nor that they follow a strict pattern for the type of buildings they release. I'm not too particular in what I hope to see, either. Just something that feels fresh and new. Maybe a combination bowling alley/arcade, or a police station?

One thing I would like to see, especially now that LEGO has a wheelchair mold, is a modular building designed for accessibility — for instance, something with an elevator instead of stairs like the Town Hall, but also with a ramp outside instead of just a stairway.
    wardmTheOriginalSimonBAdzbadboycatwrangler
  • BDKRacer7BDKRacer7 AZMember Posts: 1
    @ CaptainRogers, I'd like to see some less expensive modulars as well. The Creator line has some, but they are somewhat incomplete. The 16x32 idea is a great one and as someone else noted, it would round out Assembly Square.

@shaase, I like the idea of a convention center with a Lego convention going on. The size would be problematic I think, but a nice idea.

I'd like to see a museum, I think there is a lot of potential there. A natural history one would have plenty of existing parts to pull from and they could do some really neat dinosaur skeletons scattered throughout as well as have flexible architecture.

I cool tech building with modern architecture would be nice as well with office, cubes for a software company or something like that. A stock exchange financial building might be neat as well. 

I think a Lego store of decent size would be neat and come in cheaper. I would guess it is going to be a hospital and that is ok, but I don't think I'd get it as I have my own hospital MOC I'm fond of. That is ok though as it would give me more time to get the current modulars out there if I could "skip a year" before another new one came out.

Those are my thoughts.
  • jonboy2000jonboy2000 Member Posts: 219
    @CaptainPirateMan do you have a picture?  Just wondering how you've dealt with the tiled pattern design outside extending past 16 studs wide?
    CaptainPirateManMynatt
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 746
    @Lyichir I don't follow the friends line but maybe I need to.
  • Addicted2OxygenAddicted2Oxygen O✖️🔺▪️Member Posts: 298
    I have been wondering if there will be one, at least in the normal slot, given that ninjago city is modular-like. 

When the modular does appear, I would be surprised if it had something that is typically larger than the terraced buildings they go for or out of keeping with the high st / main st theme. So I think schools and hospitals are out. And anything that is single use unless it can be detailed. 

My updated guess is that we will get a butchers (sausages) and a fast food/60s diner for the latest cmf guy. 
  • MattDawsonMattDawson Solihull, UKMember Posts: 1,202
    Maybe we'll get a 16 x 32 shop (ala Pet Shop) with a flat above the main store...
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    Aanchir said:
    SNIP
    One thing I would like to see, especially now that LEGO has a wheelchair mold, is a modular building designed for accessibility — for instance, something with an elevator instead of stairs like the Town Hall, but also with a ramp outside instead of just a stairway.
    I see this as inevitable.  So much so, that the only reason it wasn't included in the current modular (AS) was due to multiple building entrances and lack of space to fit ramps.
    @CaptainPirateMan do you have a picture?  Just wondering how you've dealt with the tiled pattern design outside extending past 16 studs wide?
    I was waiting for someone to ask me this. Let me see what I can do.
    @CaptainPirateMan it looks good but not sure if my OCD can handle not having a proper pavement/sidewalk around the side of the building.
    edited September 2017
    @CaptainPirateMan it looks good but not sure if my OCD can handle not having a proper pavement/sidewalk around the side of the building.
    You mean the flower shop side? That's the side that needed the most work, yes. But we are tying it in with our entire city layout, so it'll be fine for us. But yes, my wife, (she's actually the one that did this mod) had to reconfigure the tiled portion of the side walk. We took out the fountain as well, and placed it in front of the town hall. 

The side by the flower shop is still under construction, so I'm sure she will clean it up eventually. 
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,317
    ^ I think @jonboy2000 meant at the right side of your pic, in front of the bakery.
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I'd really like to see a music store/comic book shop set up. 

CaptainRogersMr_Cross
    sid3windr said:
    ^ I think @jonboy2000 meant at the right side of your pic, in front of the bakery.
    That part looks great, hard to tell from the pic. I actually was just saying to my wife yesterday "I like the front of the cafe building from assembly square better than the front of cafe corner." It kinda gets hidden the way the set was originally designed imo. It's a GREAT corner building.
    sid3windr
    I meant the right side of the cafe. I agree it makes a nice corner building but the side walk is a bit narrow for me. Just my opinion
    CaptainPirateMan
  • CaptainRogersCaptainRogers Greensboro, NCMember Posts: 680
    @MattPetersen that would be fantastic. Fits right in with the downtown, mom and pop store aesthetic. 
    MattPetersen
  • Bluepilgrim3Bluepilgrim3 N.H.Member Posts: 15
    How about a morgue/funeral home? 

I'm not good at this, am I?
    FollowsCloselyJohnyk668gmonkey76SumoLegoBumblepantscatwranglerlentilmak0137GothamConstructionCo
  • madejp86madejp86 IllinoisMember Posts: 215
    How about a morgue/funeral home? 

I'm not good at this, am I?
    "Hey son, why does this minifigure have to knives pointed at this other fig? What's up with all the red round bricks around all these other figs?"

"Ohh the new modular building is too empty so I am trying to fill the morgue and funeral home. Michael is helping send people there"

Every parents dream conversation lol
    Johnyk668stluxcatwrangler
    Just realised we should be under a month now from a press release of 2018's Modular Building, judging from past press release dates being around mid-October. Surprised we still haven't even got a single hint of the name or type of building.
    catwrangler
  • Mr_HobblesMr_Hobbles San FranciscoMember Posts: 245
    Maybe there’s no 2018 modular? Maybe TLG went “k, that’s it. 10 years is enough. We’re done now.”? :p
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084
    edited September 2017
    Adzbadboy said:
    Just realised we should be under a month now from a press release of 2018's Modular Building, judging from past press release dates being around mid-October. Surprised we still haven't even got a single hint of the name or type of building.
    That's 'cause everybodies attention is still on the Falcon debacle....er...debut. 
    wardmmadforLEGO
  • Brikkyy13Brikkyy13 AustraliaMember Posts: 17
    Maybe there’s no 2018 modular? Maybe TLG went “k, that’s it. 10 years is enough. We’re done now.”? :p
    There'd be riots in the streets