Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

2018 Modular Rumours

Comments

• monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 589
    kbw said:
    Need a brewery or a pub. Doubt they'd ever do that tho.
    I think the closest we will get to a pub is the pool hall in Detective's Office.
    BumblepantsRogerKirkgmonkey76SumoLegoM_BossmadforLEGOOmastar
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    ^ And the wine/champagne in PR. 
    monstblitzSumoLegoOmastar
  • RogerKirkRogerKirk BrightonMember Posts: 331
    ^ And the wine/champagne in PR. 
    Sparkling grape juice!
    Omastar
  • A.BrickovskyA.Brickovsky PolandMember Posts: 56
    CM4S said:
    LEGO Store
    Coming from you, I'd seriously doubt if it's only a speculation...?
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,567
    edited September 2017
    Why cant we delete at post?
    SMC said:

I despair at what the forum has become. Saying that reading some of the replies it looks like this silly topic has been turned into a sensible one which makes a nice change from the other way around. 
    I would despair if this forum became the Euro Bricks you want it to be. 

Its clear that you still don't understand the point I was making 2 years ago as I never said I wanted this site to be eurobricks. But as this is 2 years old can we not bring it up again?
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,263
    CM4S said:
    LEGO Store
    No 2018 info coming from me this year 

SumoLegoA.BrickovskyOmastar
    edited September 2017
    @monstblitz Well said. @SMC the lightheartedness of this forum is what makes it so unique and why I ditched Eurobricks. No harsh moderation or scolding if you go off topic. Frankly, the forum isn't going to change for one person, so you might as well stop complaining about it every chance you get.
    Its not light hearted when you gang up to attack one person who has a different option to you. This forum is one of the worst Iv seen for being cliquey and downright unpleasant at times.

Maybe it would not be a bad thing for a mod to come along and tell us ALL to pack it in and get back on topic some times.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,473
    CM4S said:
    Thank you for verifying that you are not the source of the currently non-existent rumour regarding the anticipated 2018 modular... of which we are all speculating.

Speculate away!

Maybe we'll see a police sub-station paired up with a doctor's office and a donut shop.
    BumblepantsCM4SMr_Crossgmonkey76Omastar
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,421
    A modular "Big Box" store could be fun, though I doubt it would ever happen. Would need a couple of large baseplates, lots of basic bricks for walls and fixtures, and a HUGE assortment of minifigure accessories to stock the shelves.
  • ScogaliScogali SydneyMember Posts: 15
    edited September 2017
    SumoLego said:
    the currently non-existent rumour
    If you can't find 'em, start 'em!
    SirBrickalotOfLegoSumoLegoOmastarLegogram
  • scottwb2010scottwb2010 ScotlandMember Posts: 236
    edited September 2017
    CM4S said:
    CM4S said:
    LEGO Store

CM4S has been good in the past for giving a hint in the right direction but has 'retired' from given out a 'heads up', but wouldn't be surprised if this years has some form of a Lego store in it.

As some have mentioned, the 'street' is out of alignment due to the size of the Assembly Square, ie 1 1/2 size as opposed to 32 studs, so my hunch is that it could be a hospital on a 1 1/2 size version to balance this up and so give a decent size build too with maybe an ambulance drop off. Just a guess tho.

A Police precinct style build would be welcomed in my modular town.

Oh and what I wouldn't like to see is a Library or Book store. I think too many of the parts would be taken up by 1x2 plates or tiles used as books on the shelves. For a grand Library type building then yes I'd go with a Museum. 
    CM4SsnowhitieOmastardoe
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 166
    It seems like a Police Precinct of some kind is a likely target for this year's modular.  Yes there is a plethora of police sets in the City line, but Police and Fire have been core to LEGO's offerings for a long time and we already have the Fire Brigade.

A Brick Bank type corner build with a donut shop would be a fun idea, but unlikely they are going to "reskin" such a recent build.  I'd like to see them offer a full 32x32 single structure akin to the older modulars, but LEGO's method is trending toward smaller structures with more detailed interiors.

I'd expect the RRP stays in the $150-$170 range, and given the profit news for TLG that came out this morning, there will be increased pressure to keep prices down year over year.  The Old Fishing Store, with all its detail hit the $150 mark, so no reason to expect a price jump to $200 unless a larger design necessitates it.

And while I'd love to see TLG do a modular LEGO store for their 60th anniversary and the design submitted to Ideas was gorgeous, I really hope they don't pull a GBHQ and rip off that design...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,730
    SumoLego said:
    I think the storytelling aspect of the modulars is a priority to the design team.  Otherwise, I doubt any of us could have anticipated a LEGO laundromat.  Or dentist.
    I think you're right. For instance, a museum might have a dinosaur skeleton being assembled, a visiting school group with a kid who gets lost and winds up somewhere they shouldn't be, a research lab with archaeological finds being examined, and so on.

Narratively there are ways you could connect those settings, or you could let each be its own thing.

(And as long as I'm on the museum theme, for general decorative purposes there's always mini-builds of ancient boats on display, glass cases with dioramas of historical figures, a use for all those lego weapons, gold goblets and coins, etc. etc...)
    Roobot
  • CaptainPirateManCaptainPirateMan MichiganMember Posts: 329
    edited September 2017
    I don't really see the point of having a typical police station imo. I use the Town Hall as the police head quarters, as well as mayors office. I have Arkham Asylum as my "jail". So I would be a little sad if it is a typical police station. Honestly, id rather have a hospital for my city. Having said that, I don't want another extra large modular this year. I'd rather they return to "normal" size. As another poster pointed out, Assembly Square threw things off a bit. We actually changed ours all around to make it more in line with the other modulars. We liked the corner building aspect of it, and actually put the pet shop brownstone in between the coffee shop and bakery. Imo, it looks better this way. The original design was nice for those just now getting into modulars, but those that have them all, I feel AS was a bit of a square peg (pun intended). 

So... to make a long story short, let's get back to the traditional buildings.
    catwrangler
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,295
    It seems like a Police Precinct of some kind is a likely target for this year's modular.  Yes there is a plethora of police sets in the City line, but Police and Fire have been core to LEGO's offerings for a long time and we already have the Fire Brigade.

Is it any more likely this year than any other year? Police and Fire have been around for many years in City, and FB was released 8 years ago. They could have done a PP in any of the following 7 years, next year or any of the years after. I don't think past sets make a police precinct likely to come specifically in 2018.

SumoLegoJern92Omastar
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 234
    If the dual-purpose 32x32 footprint returns, perhaps a small hardware store and a health clinic (urgent care / small hospital) could be paired together.  Neither really merits a full building and there are easy "plot points" to be made between hurting yourself at a hardware store and needing treatment.  Plus, the cookie theives could be looking at hardware to break the safe, etc.  Mindless drivel, sorry, but imagining the possibilities is fun!!!
    catwranglerScogaliOmastar
  • GeordiePaulGeordiePaul Glastonbury, CT, USAMember Posts: 462
    edited September 2017
    @kbw The Detective's Office has a pub called the Highlander complete with dart board and pool table :-)
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,378
    @kbw The Detective's Office has a pub called the Highlander complete with dart board and pool table :-)
    No, it has a pool room called the Highlander. Lego doesn't do alcohol, so there is no bar, therefore it's not a pub :)
    SumoLego
    I'm pretty sure Lego Jack Sparrow drinks rum.
    SumoLegoFowlerBricks
    @Paperballpark Fair enough. I stand corrected.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,473
    edited September 2017
    I'm pretty sure Lego Jack Sparrow drinks rum.
    No, he's just weird completely sober.
    ...perhaps a small hardware store and a health clinic...
    My City needs somewhere to buy a bone saw.
    CaptainPirateManScogaligmonkey76lentilOmastar
    Medieval market village and POTC London Escape both feature "pubs". Honestly a lot of rum drinking has always been implied in the pirates theme, and of course Jack Sparrow.
    SumoLegogmonkey76
    Medieval market village and POTC London Escape both feature "pubs". Honestly a lot of rum drinking has always been implied in the pirates theme, and of course Jack Sparrow.
    Both in a historical context though.
    bandit778 said:
    I'm fairly sure the denizens of Mos Eisley cantina weren't tea drinkers either, you don't get the moniker of being the most wreched hive of scum and villainy by fighting over the suger cubes. :)
    That's a fantastical setting.
  • arathemisarathemis sometimes here, sometimes thereMember Posts: 353
    Heard a rumor that the Modular street drives towards the sea/ocean. So my hunch is that the next modular will be a 1.5 plate lighthouse with a coast guard office (and of course a helipad and helicopter on top)
    catwrangler
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,893
    bandit778 said:
    I'm fairly sure the denizens of Mos Eisley cantina weren't tea drinkers either, you don't get the moniker of being the most wreched hive of scum and villainy by fighting over the suger cubes. :)
    Not in my head!
    You'll be telling me Santa Claus isn't real next. :P
    catwranglerbrickventures
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 319
    a modular San Diego convention center in the midst of hosting comic con. it would include a host of costumed attendees standing line for a chance to win exclusive Lego mini figures. 
    catwranglersid3windr
    bandit778 said:
    Also historical

"a long time ago in a galaxy far far away"
    Muftak1gmonkey76catwranglerOmastar
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 906
    ^ I reckon Luke's blue milk (served in tupperware) must have been fermented to stop it going off. What is it anyway? Bantha milk, wamp rat juice?
    catwrangler
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    Being the Brick bank is a corner building, I'm guessing whatever is coming out will not be another corner.Then again.. Palace Cinema is going this year, so who knows (not sure if Assembly Square is conforming to the typical Mod rollout)
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 132
    I'd like some sort of Air ambulance centre so we can have a large heliport... maybe they could even include a helicopter with it. That would be novel. 
    catwrangler
  • ryjayryjay Member Posts: 976
    How about a fenced in vacant lot with just a info sign saying, "(fill in the blank) Coming Soon!"...keep the price down for a change.  It comes with a sticker sheet with multiple fill-in-the-blank stickers, ie Hospital, Library, Police Station, park, school, etc, etc.
    sid3windrcatwranglerlfty888
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 223
    ryjay said:
    How about a fenced in vacant lot with just a info sign saying, "(fill in the blank) Coming Soon!"...keep the price down for a change.  It comes with a sticker sheet with multiple fill-in-the-blank stickers, ie Hospital, Library, Police Station, park, school, etc, etc.
    That would be more controversial than market street ;)
  • blokey9blokey9 MelbourneMember Posts: 100

I was thinking that a sports stadium might be a good option for a future build.

@M_Boss Moreso when they charge us $100 for it. And some of us will still buy it regardless!
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,295
    Modular lighthouse. It would fit perfectly in the middle of a row of town buildings.
    Muftak1Mynattsid3windrOmastar
  • GoldchainsGoldchains Member Posts: 795
    bandit778 said:
    bandit778 said:
    Not in my head!
    You'll be telling me Santa Claus isn't real next. :P

Santa Claus is real.  The Tooth Fairy is not unfortunately.  I think that a Police Precinct might be too much with the Detective's Office being recent.  I think that a Hospital would be a stellar choice, and offer a lot of gameplay. 
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,023
    Ultimately it just curious as to what this will be for a price point. I wonder, actually, am worried we are even gone from the RRP of $169.99 and perhaps the new norm will be closer to RRP $199.99 this is all USD of course.  Not that it would prevent me from purchasing it but clicking that process order button certainly gets harder every time that price goes up...
    Bumblepants
    Ultimately it just curious as to what this will be for a price point. I wonder, actually, am worried we are even gone from the RRP of $169.99 and perhaps the new norm will be closer to RRP $199.99 this is all USD of course.  Not that it would prevent me from purchasing it but clicking that process order button certainly gets harder every time that price goes up...
    This!!! That's why I DON'T want some massive AS type set this year. I own every modular (except market street), and they don't have to keep getting bigger, grander, more expensive. Honestly, I would be ok with them NOT releasing a modular this year, let AS be the "new" set for one more year. I'm sure many Lego fans still haven't purchased that yet because of it's price point. 

I'm kinda heading into a direction that is being discussed in the other thread about Legos current fincial situation. But releasing MASSIVE sets every single year, could be having a negative impact on sales. Lego fans can only keep up with so many sets at one time. Just this year we have been given Ninjago City and Old Fishing Store. Even though they are not "technically" a modular building, they are BIG Lego buildings. How many new Lego buildings like that do we need every year? It's so hard to keep up with Lego right now imo. I miss the old days where the Black Seas Barracuda and Rock Island Refuge sat on store shelves for 5 years or more. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new modular this year, but I'm also ok with Lego taking a year off from them. Or if they DO release one, go back to the $150ish price point. Raising them to $200 would make me mad.
    catwrangler
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 364
    So I just saw that Lego gave a heads up that Palace Cinema is retiring this year. Wonder if 2018 could be another corner building to replace? 
  • RoobotRoobot USAMember Posts: 20
    kbw said:
    So I just saw that Lego gave a heads up that Palace Cinema is retiring this year. Wonder if 2018 could be another corner building to replace? 
    As far as I can tell the pattern has been "corner, straight, straight" and we are due for another straight next if that continues.
    Scogali
    I would be surprised if we got another corner building this year. We just got the brick bank 2 years ago. If you need a corner building, go buy the PC before it's gone. That's Lego's logic anyways.
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 166
    This!!! That's why I DON'T want some massive AS type set this year. I own every modular (except market street), and they don't have to keep getting bigger, grander, more expensive. Honestly, I would be ok with them NOT releasing a modular this year, let AS be the "new" set for one more year. I'm sure many Lego fans still haven't purchased that yet because of it's price point. 

I'm kinda heading into a direction that is being discussed in the other thread about Legos current fincial situation. But releasing MASSIVE sets every single year, could be having a negative impact on sales. Lego fans can only keep up with so many sets at one time. Just this year we have been given Ninjago City and Old Fishing Store. Even though they are not "technically" a modular building, they are BIG Lego buildings. How many new Lego buildings like that do we need every year? It's so hard to keep up with Lego right now imo. I miss the old days where the Black Seas Barracuda and Rock Island Refuge sat on store shelves for 5 years or more. 

Don't get me wrong, I'd love to see a new modular this year, but I'm also ok with Lego taking a year off from them. Or if they DO release one, go back to the $150ish price point. Raising them to $200 would make me mad.
    Stopped in the Lego Store on my way home from work yesterday and the Old Fishing Store and Ninjago City were both sitting on the shelf - which is quite a different position from Assembly Square that was sold out for nearly a month, even in the dead time that is Chicago in January...  niche market perhaps?

I'd expect that this year's modular stays in the $150-$170 range - Old Fishing Store has the size of a typical modular and a TON of detail for $150, and same for Ninjago City at $300.  Both are very fairly priced IMO.

Lego's trend with the modulars, AS aside, is toward smaller, more detailed builds.  Town Hall and Palace Cinema were arguably the last "grand" structures we got, and both had underwhelming interiors.  Since then PR, DO and BB were lauded for interior beauty but criticized by some for being smaller than their predecessors.  I don't see strong evidence that this trend is going to be bucked...