Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

L E D lights

GossyF1GossyF1 BerkshireMember Posts: 16
I'm looking for some recommendations on using lights to light up my Modular buildings, any recommendations would be welcomed 
thanks 

Comments

• akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited August 2017

While there are a number of great solutions for wired lighting, I would wait until I-Brix gets released later this year/early next year. It is a wireless lighting system that just got it's funding via Kickstarter, and is perfect for the Modulars! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426110532/i-brix-wirelessly-powered-lighting-system-for-lego

Infinityman
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,310
    ^ Not-too-high modulars ;-)
    M_Boss
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 323
    edited August 2017
    Something like this?

Colleague of my partner sells these sets, as you can see including modified bricks so you don't have to ruin your own. Also included USB cabling and hub.
    Not cheap, but at least it's from within the EU, so no import duties for the UK (yet...)

Let me know which you want and I could ask for an estimated price for a bulk load, if you like.

(sorry if i'm not allowed to advertise this, however, I have no financial gain over these at all, so hope it's okay)
    ricecakesid3windrmadforLEGOkiki180703
  • daewoodaewoo TexasMember Posts: 252
    The iBrix idea looks interesting, but like the wired versions, I think price point is going to keep me out of the market.  I spend enough as it is just buying sets/pieces.  I would go flat broke trying to light everything up.  It is a really cool idea though...and if I ever win the lottery, I'll dive in!
  • bakkubackgroundsbakkubackgrounds Victoria BCMember Posts: 1
    This awesome set was built using brickloot.com lights...
    Found on reddit
    sid3windrricecakeLegogramAllBrickpharmjodkiki180703
  • eMJeeNLeMJeeNL The NetherlandsMember Posts: 323
    Might be the same ones I am referring to above, not sure.
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 180
    ^it is the same: brickloot
  • PapaBearPapaBear East CoastMember Posts: 395
    akunthita said:

While there are a number of great solutions for wired lighting, I would wait until I-Brix gets released later this year/early next year. It is a wireless lighting system that just got it's funding via Kickstarter, and is perfect for the Modulars! https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1426110532/i-brix-wirelessly-powered-lighting-system-for-lego

More like a Brickstarter campaign
  • tomahawkertomahawker Member Posts: 155
    akunthita said:

Thinking about setting up Winter village this year and looking at lighting options.

Did anyone pledge the iBrix kickstarter?  Has anyone received their starter kits yet? 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,026
    I was this close to backing it, but I've never lighted kits before and I didn't want to take a gamble on my first try. It does say they were supposed to arrive, like, last year, though, so I'd hope at least some people have them now. I can't help but laugh at the fidget spinner option for backers!
    @akunthita Happy 999 posts!
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    edited September 2018
    Baby_Yoda said:
    I was this close to backing it, but I've never lighted kits before and I didn't want to take a gamble on my first try. It does say they were supposed to arrive, like, last year, though, so I'd hope at least some people have them now. I can't help but laugh at the fidget spinner option for backers!

Oh, LOL! I guess I will have to make that 1k then! :D I'm a backer to I-Brix, and we have been getting regular updates from Dustin (the creator of I-Brix), but the kits haven't been sent out yet. One big hurdle was getting FCC approval, which they finally got in May this year. According to the last update from last month, they have been testing the first-run of hardware from the factory to ensure everything is up to standard. Basically, performing some endurance testing and operation functionality. If I remember correctly, the plan is to have the first units shipped by the end of the year. I'm super excited and can't wait! :D
    bandit778
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,218
    akunthita said:
    Baby_Yoda said:

If I remember correctly, the plan is to have the first units shipped by the end of the year. I'm super excited and can't wait! :D
    I’m also a backer and looking forward to getting my hands on iBrix. For now, maybe try one of the Lightailing kits recently reviewed by Huw? I’ve ordered one myself and am awaiting delivery. 
    bandit778akunthitakiki180703
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 357
    There are several things you have to keep in mind. (assuming it's just a magnetic qi charger, not RF)
    -they may not be very bright (no telling if those photos are overexposed)
    -brightness will vary greatly with distance and orientation (sideways being very dim)

However, are they waterproof? That would make them usable in new places (there are some lego MOCs that feature real water).
  • BrainsluggedBrainslugged England (the grim North)Member Posts: 627
    ^ That looks incredible for such a quick, dirty and cheap option. 
  • Baby_YodaBaby_Yoda The world's backsideMember Posts: 1,026
    edited September 2018
    DAMN! I've been considering lighting my modulars as well, but the kit options I've seen are half as much as the modulars themselves. That's a really great idea and I'm happy to hear that it works so well! Although I'd personally prefer to get a single LED light for the upper floor of #10232 to make it more obvious that it's a cinema.