Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

STEAM 2017 (Oct 7-8th, UK)

Comments

• DroneDrone U.KMember Posts: 194
    As my own ex once said, "A lady AFOL is a highly sought after commodity!"
    My daughter has told me she doesn't want to go with me on Sunday. Will feel strange without her there.
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    @LegoFan1970, you could always ask me :)

No, not this year. Had too much other stuff going on, sorry!
  • LegoFan1970LegoFan1970 Member Posts: 81

Hi Huw,

Thanks for letting me know

• Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,298
    Now coming on Saturday with my 7yr old. Not done the fairybricks mosaic before, tried my luck on the tombola and came away with a couple of cool polybags though.
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,985
    Arrived in the UK just a couple of hours ago.
    Roll on Sunday! :-) 
    andhe
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,474
    Legopants said:
    Wow you are a hardcore Lego fan if you travelled from Germany just to visit Swindon :-) either that or Steam is really good and I should make the 20 mile visit to go!

Will there be any good stuff to buy?
    TheFew said:
    Legopants said:
    Wow you are a hardcore Lego fan if you travelled from Germany just to visit Swindon :-) either that or Steam is really good and I should make the 20 mile visit to go!

I always combine Steam with a visit to Northants to see the folks. As good an excuse as any ;-)

Nah, not really a hardcore fan. Great to see the MOCs on show though. And Steam is a great place to put Bricksetter names to faces. 

So, yes - the 20 mile journey would be well worth it :-) 
    bandit778TheFewLostInTranslationomnium
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 768
    TheFew said:
    either that or Steam is really good and I should make the 20 mile visit to go!
    I've heard it's the best show in the UK, so I'm going for the first time and it's more than 20 miles from Twickenham.
    TheFewLegopants
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,453
    TheFew said:
    Legopants said:

STEAM is really good and you should make the 20 mile trip to go!

Yes there's about 3 or 4 independent vendors, as well as a pop-up LEGO Brand Store.
    TheFewLostInTranslationLegopants
    edited October 2017
    @Paperballpark if I come can i nick some parts off of your model? :-)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Our first time not going in 5 years, but sadly can't make it in person this year. But our lovely Joe and Mel are manning the Minifigs.me stand. Please give them a warm hello! 
    Have a great show everyone, it really is one of the best.
    LostInTranslationnexander
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Awww sad you won't be there @MinifigsMe ;
    Hope all is well with you guys anyway. Hugs xxx
    The calm before the storm...

LegopantsLostInTranslationPeteMbandit778Calvomniumdavetheoxygenmanlegomentalstlux
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 239
    Come over and say hi at the polybag speed build challenge for fairybricks, you could win a wall.e!
    LegopantsLostInTranslationShib
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,765
    Just got back and think it was definitely advisable to go in the morning. Traffic was queuing for quite some distance to get in to the car parks as we left.

My plan had been to go straight to the shops but with the show being spread throughout the museum made me change my mind and look at things as I went along.

Had a brief but pleasant chat with @LostInTranslation and saw a few other familiar faces/name tags but most were already involved in conversations.

I can see how as an Afol you'd probably have a more interesting experience as an exhibitor rather than a punter but was pleased I went (as was visiting family in the area anyway).

Hope the rest of the weekend goes well. Look forward to seeing a picture of the completed mosaic.
    LostInTranslationLegopantsomnium
  • DroneDrone U.KMember Posts: 194
    I'm missing Steam for the first time ever due to work. Pretty gutted but needs must.
    Had a brilliant day there with my daughter today. Got to the carpark around 9:30 and sailed in. By the time we got to the museum it was starting to rain and within a couple of minutes they let us in. So many cool builds. I was nice to see a few Brickset people, and got recognised by @LostInTranslation which was a surprise.
    andheomniumLostInTranslation
    Had a couple of goes on the FairyBricks tombola, won a few minifigures including a very useful chap that was wearing Indiana Jones hat that we're missing! Picked up a couple of polybags and a Speedchampions set in the market.

It felt a little smaller this year for some reason and it was a shame that with Bricks magazine folding, Blocks had no stand either.

Managed to see enough and with Miss Speedman tiring, we left after lunch to join the hour queue to get to the M4!
    omnium
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    I'm inclined to agree - it felt a little smaller than last time I went (2 years ago).  There were certainly more stalls selling Lego-related paraphenalia than there were last time - was this simply room not taken up by actual Lego models?

There were some great models this year.  Forgive me for not knowing people's names, but I really enjoyed seeing the Houses of Parliament model in person, the various War of the Worlds dioramas were rather enjoyable, @LostInTranslation 's builds and the lady sitting next to her who had built the glasshouse and aquarium, and the big subterranean space station was also a treat.

For some reason there weren't so many builds that felt to my taste this time around (and this is me being all pathetic and entitled).  I'm a big fan of the big minifig-scale diorama - city streets, impressive buildings, all sorts of stories being told - and I felt that there was perhaps less of it this year than I'd seen previously.  Whilst I really enjoyed (what I assumed was) the Bricks to the Past big Scotland vs England scrap, I didn't quite get the scene setting as much as I had with their wonderful Victorian streets build from a few years ago.

I haven't been to any other Lego shows in the UK recently to know how they compare, but is this (or the other shows) suffering from so many different opportunities for people to display in the UK that there isn't really any event that's going to catch them all?

Looking forward to the Fairybricks mosaic though.  Lots of black!

andheLostInTranslation
  • DB361DB361 UKMember Posts: 207
    edited October 2017
    Had a brilliant day, so many thanks to everyone for making GWBS as good as ever. Whilst I agree that there might have physically been less there than previous years, for me anyway I spent more time than ever in there today grabbing a quick chat with various people. Was great to see Nicolas and Kobe from Lego Masters there though I have to do better in terms of finding out Bricksetters names!
    The displays that were there were mostly original and not ones I've already seen at BrickLive etc which was great, the stalls had a good range of stuff, far far better than BrickLive and some good buys to be had (blue base plates for £4 wasn't getting turned down!), and for anyone who's still after one they had a ton of Saturn V's at the official Lego stall.
    One thing I was surprised to see from BrickLive was the introduction of a couple of brick pits. Thankfully though there was only 2 and they were nowhere near as obtrusive as they are at BrickLive.
    Did surprise me how quiet it was to start off with, but that soon changed as soon as the rain stopped and the traffic getting into the car park queued for some distance. Lesson for those is that I sailed straight in at 9.30am!

Still, a great day had, and roll on next year!
    omnium
  • omniumomnium Brickenham, UKMember Posts: 768
    edited October 2017
    I did my first GWBS yesterday. Got there in good time, only 1.5 hours drive. Arrived at 12 noon, queued for 30 mins to park. Wow, I should have parked further away and walked :)

It's hard to miss @Paperballpark's wonderful Westminster as it's the first display as you enter. He was an AWOL AFOL the times I passed, so didn't get to speak to him.

I met up with a friend from work who'd been telling me about GWBS and how good it was. We watched as his 14 year old son smashed the speed build challenge. The leader board had 2:51 in the adult category and 2:54 in the child category. He did it in 2:09. It was incredible to see, his hands were a blur at times! By the end of the day, he won by a clear 10 seconds and got to take home his prize Wall-e.

I spoke to @Huw at his cunning contraption, didn't even know @LostInTranslation was at the show, never mind owned the displays next to Huw that I photographed! Ooops! Sorry, it would have been great to meet you! I love your N-pop scene :)

Of all the people I spoke to, other than the people I was there with, I spent most time at the end of the show talking to a chap called Iain Scott from Northern Brickworks who had a lovely selection of utilitarian spaceships. I think I picked up quite a few tips from him.

I really enjoyed Robot Wars, great entertainment. It's really hard to get a good view, as others have said. I think they should set up a projector / screen or two. But that comment's not meant to diminish a great effort already in place and a very entertaining show!

And come the end of the day, I hadn't even seen the marketplace, so no bargain blue baseplates for me.

I hope @TheFew managed the 20 mile trip, it was worth every mile I drove and then some :)
    LostInTranslation
    @omnium saddly no. I got drafted into DIY instead. So i will have to console myself with a few parts purchases from Bricklink later.
  • flecskiflecski Member Posts: 76
    I would agree with some sort of projector / screen for the robot wars. We arrived a couple of minutes after one of the starts and couldnt get close. (Our own fault) 

Some great displays, and loads of people walking round having bought really useful boxes. Keen prices on those, who was it selling them?

Flec
    LostInTranslation
    Has anybody got a photo of the completed Fairy Bricks mosaic? We built panel 18 with the top of the 2nd "Far" My daughter wants to know what it all looked like.
  • palmers9grbpalmers9grb ukMember Posts: 205
    Me and a mate have been up today, good day, missed Huw, but it look amazing. Bricks to the past (or what ever) was great also. Top day all-day well worth the trip be back next year
    LostInTranslation
    ^ That's pretty spectacular.  I take great credit for the top right of the 'n' and top left of the 'g' at the very top.  Couldn't have happened without me.  Nice one Fairybricks (again!) 
    LegoboyandheLostInTranslation
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    Great show, a lot of fun to do, especially robot wars! We all reckon a screen would be a definite plus for next year, so hopefully that will happen. @omnium, you'd have found @Paperballpark at the robot wars area a lot of the time, breaking things with his destructor-blades...
    messyomniumLostInTranslation
    Yes, apologies to anyone who didn't see me at my display - the chances are I was at the Robot Wars events, where I dished out some damage (broke one robot clean in half!) but also took some myself.

I think everyone recognises what a huge success Robot Wars is (people were getting there more than 20mins in advance of each session), and I'm sure there will be discussions about improvements for next year. We did try a different seating arrangement on Sat morning, to try to fit more people in, but we roboteers could barely move for people, so it was swiftly switched back to last year's layout.
    omniumLostInTranslation
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    Great to read all of the comments.  Some useful constructive suggestions above which I'll definitely take on board.

There really isn't anywhere else in the museum we can run Robot Wars so I'll be looking at a large screen or similar allowing people further back to see the action.  It is *massively* popular now and hard to contain the crowds.  I guess that's a nice problem to have.

It's also interesting to read the perception that there were more stalls selling - there were in fact exactly the same number as last year.  I'm now wondering why it seemed there were more...

Thanks for sharing your thoughts.  Please do keep the feedback coming.
    omniumstluxmessyShibMaffyDLostInTranslationTechnicNick
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 493
    I travelled to Swindon by train to avoid the traffic jams. Trains delayed by 'Cows on the line'.
    @Paperballpark's Astonishing Houses of Parliment. Now I feel that building my own Big Ben set will seem trivial in comparison.
    @Huw excellent contraption, how long did you spend fine-tuning it all?
    @LostInTranslation  I loved your N-pop bedroom.
    I missed you all in person.

I thought there were fewer large displays this year, but more individual pieces. 

Was it a 'Green Sand-pit' or a 'Sand-green pit'? Very popular when I was there.
    palmers9grbmessyLostInTranslation
  • HuwHuw Brickset Towers, Hampshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,457
    Far too long! It's still not perfect but having run it for 14 hours I know where the problems are so expect it to be even better next year :)
    SirKevbagsShibHugeYellowBrickSalamalexLostInTranslation
  • messymessy CambridgeshireMember Posts: 239
    The sand green brick pit of doom was very popular, and was encroaching on the speed build tables by the end of each day. Some of the times on the speed build were staggering, anything less than 3 minutes was a good time, and it was good to note that age was not important.
    If you went you will know what a great variety of builds were on display, if you didn't go put it in your diary for next year!
    LostInTranslation
    Martin said:
    It's also interesting to read the perception that there were more stalls selling - there were in fact exactly the same number as last year.  I'm now wondering why it seemed there were more...
    I would actually have said that too - I noticed a stall selling mugs and stuff in the middle of the back wall in the main hall, where I'd normally expect to see mocs. There was also a stall in front of the chair storage area, which although I'm not sure if they were selling anything, certainly didn't have anything to do with Lego! That could have been a separate arrangement with the museum though.

Perhaps the placing of them made it seem like there were more stalls - because they were more spread out?
    Great day, met a few other bricksetters, spent too much, roll on 2018
    edited October 2017
    Huw said:
    Far too long! It's still not perfect but having run it for 14 hours I know where the problems are so expect it to be even better next year :)
    1min 17seconds for a lap. We must have come back to watch a dozen more laps over the morning.
    messy said:
    Some of the times on the speed build were staggering, anything less than 3 minutes was a good time
    Was pleased with our 3min 7 seconds which included several seconds of my daughter just staring at the pile of pieces saying "daddy" over and over again!

I thought it was a neat way of buying a polybag and donating to Fairybricks too, hopefully you can repeat it again next year.

Last year Bright Bricks had their FLying Scotsman and the coresponding mini build that was a lot of fun. Any chance they might do something similar another year?
    ^^ sure although the lights are spoiling it slightly. 396 baseplates. 101,376 bricks.
    Cheers, that looks amazing. Luckily there was the chap building the UCS set there so I could show my daughter the box art.
  • HugeYellowBrickHugeYellowBrick At my PCMember Posts: 493
    edited October 2017
    Oh, yes, I 'd forgotten that. While I was looking at the UCS MF, next to me there was an adult saying to a child "Look for as long as you want, you'll probably never see one again."
    Oh, yes, I 'd forgotten that. While I was looking at the UCS MF, next to me there was an adult saying to a child "Look for as long as you want, you'll probably never see one again."
    Until 2027.

And 2037.

And...
    Did they finish the UCS falcon?
    andhe said:
    Did they finish the UCS falcon?
    Yes. 7 and a half hours including tea breaks and lunch break. So about 6 and a half hours in total.
    andheomniumstluxSirKevbags
    edited October 2017
    Further to my previous comment, I didn't go last year but the year before there weren't any stalls in the main hall actually selling.  The stall next to the chair stash/robot wars arena was a safety campaign essentially telling kids not to go onto railways (it's pretty hard to beat some of the pictures shown here https://tygertale.com/2014/06/25/final-warning-roald-dahls-guide-to-railway-safety/ for train safety, I still remember seeing that picture of the boy with his head flying off whenever I entertain thoughts of looking out a train window!)

stlux
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    edited October 2017
    mr_benn said:
    I didn't go last year but the year before there weren't any stalls in the main hall actually selling.
    Yes there were.  There were three vendors and two magazine stalls, and another vendor in Caerphilly Hall too.  I will be reviewing whether we reduce the number of vendors in the main hall next year as clearly there is a perception that there are too many.  One option is to move them out completely and utilise other areas of the museum (the walk between Caerphilly Hall and Robot Wars on the Station Platform, for example).
    It was my first time this year so I personally didn't feel the stalls in the main hall were too intrusive.

To be honest their position was preferable to the slight scrum in the 'marketplace' room where the Lego pop-up shop and simplybricks could have done with a tad more room to allow browsing. I appreciate their layout might also have been their own choice, just not sure why Lego tucked their tills away behind their stall as it made a bit of a bottleneck.

As an Afol I had hoped to see more variety on the stalls (didn't see any brickarms or brickwarriors resellers for example) but appreciate that's more down to who chooses to come along.
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Also a special mention for Emma, the lovely daughter of @sirrich69, who was on the tombola on Sunday. She is a real credit to you Mark, a very mature, helpful and friendly young lady. And I can't wait to see her Friends Ski Village moc next year! 
    LegopantsShib
    Is there a picture of the final polybag building challenge speed times, just curious to see if I was still on there at the end

Well, what a ruddy fab STEAM Sunday that was! Once again, well worth the short hop across the Channel :-)

Great to bump into Bricksetters old and new, e.g.:
    @Huw
    @TheBrickLadd
    @LostInTranslation
    @Coyotelily
    @docsonia73
    @SirKevbags
    @sirrich69 ;and his extremely polite daughter Emma
    @Salamalex and her deelish "Peanut Fun"
    @Shib
    @messy

Some brill MOCs on show again this year.
    Robot Wars was brilliant - a projector and screen will deffo be necessary for future shows though so that everyone can view the carnage :-)

LostInTranslationHuwCoyotelily