Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Misprint Celebration Luke Price Check

SmartArmoredMachineSmartArmoredMachine USAMember Posts: 29
edited August 2017 in Buying & Selling Topics
Hello, if anyone has any idea what this figure might be worth I would appreciate any estimates someone more experienced with misprints might be able to give me.

The misprint is a black smudge on the right shoulder of the minifigure.

Image link:
http://imgur.com/PTLPGkR

Many thanks,
SmartArmoredMachine

Comments

• DawnDawn GoldMember Posts: 247
    You can get one for $5 in the current market, so one with a smudge, probably around $3.
    ColoradoBricksSprinkleOtterDeMontesbobabricksIceCreamClonedougtsUberbrick
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    Dawn said:
    You can get one for $5 in the current market, so one with a smudge, probably around $3.
    I collect rare figures and that sounds about right. If you were hoping the smudge might make it a rare variant worth over $100+ or something, sorry, but that's simply not the case. The market for such figures is incredibly small and more often than not they all go for less than the original price.

This "variant" is even more unappealing than most as it's, quite simply, a smudge. If I wanted I could give a 2 year old a sharpie and end up with about the same thing ;)
    ColoradoBricksSprinkleOtterSumoLego
  • SmartArmoredMachineSmartArmoredMachine USAMember Posts: 29
    Thanks for the information guys, lets hope I can get the guy that offered me $65 dollars to buy it.
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited August 2017
    Thanks for the information guys, lets hope I can get the guy that offered me $65 dollars to buy it.
    It takes all kinds...
    Pitfall69gmonkey76
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,302
    You should have jumped at $65.
    CCC said:
    You should have jumped at $65.
    Indeed.
    I just sold it to another buyer for $65.
    Proof for the skeptics:
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/272805776214?ssPageName=STRK:MESOX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1561.l2649
    SumoLegoMasterBeefyJackad7
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,486
    ^ Congrats!  

Someone should wipe off that black piece of yarn.
    SprinkleOtterMasterBeefy
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    Guess I should begin to look real close at all of my figures for misprints...
    SumoLegosid3windr
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Alrighty, then, $1 sharpie, $5 minifigs, $$$ here I come!
    Johnyk668sid3windr
    I got the figure to reach a seller's minimum order on Bricklink (It cost $7). I also got to spin a virtual prize wheel when I sold it and "Won" a $5 eBay gift card so after fees/shipping and factoring in the gift card I clear right around $57.24, not bad for a $7 purchase... I would like to thank everyone for all of the responses, if not for your estimates I probably would have held onto the figure trying to get a higher price.

Many thanks,
    SmartArmoredMachine
    snowhitie
  • Johnyk668Johnyk668 Melbourne, Australia Member Posts: 73
    Hopefully the buyer isn't a member on here, if they are at least they'll have something to post in the buyer's remorse thread. 
    SumoLegosid3windrMasterBeefyMynattchuckp
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Two people were willing to pay $65 for the minifigure so it is reasonable to assume, that its value, is now, $65.
    Did the seller you bought it from handle it with gloves too? 
    Johnyk668
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,848
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. Two people were willing to pay $65 for the minifigure so it is reasonable to assume, that its value, is now, $65.
    All that shows me is that P.T. Barnum was correct.
    oldtodd33MAGNINOMINISUMBRAPitfall69datsunrobbiegmonkey76davetheoxygenman
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Pitfall69 said:
    Kudos to the OP for getting $65 for the "misprinted" Luke. Now, I would appreciate if you would point the buyer(s) in my direction; I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I would like to sell them.

Hey, just give it a few years/decades...
    pharmjodPitfall69
    Pitfall69 said:
    Kudos to the OP for getting $65 for the "misprinted" Luke. Now, I would appreciate if you would point the buyer(s) in my direction; I have some oceanfront property in Arizona I would like to sell them.

Hey, just give it a few years/decades...
    I have actually though of buying property on the other side of the fault as well...
    Jackad7
    CCC said:
    Did the seller you bought it from handle it with gloves too? 
    Oh so none of you have never touched the majority of your Lego sets?...Weird...
    Jackad7
    Of course. But your eBay description says that you removed it from the book, handling it only with gloves.
    Johnyk668
  • oldtodd33oldtodd33 Denver 4800 miles to BillundMember Posts: 2,370
    When you clearly stated in your above post that you bought it from a BL seller all the while implying on your Ebay listing that you took it from the book.
    Johnyk668
    This is what was in my listing.
     "Condition:
    This piece was taken directly from a book and placed into a bag so it is listed as new (I handled it with gloves to take the photos)."

The reputable bricklink seller listed the piece as new thus the "This piece was taken directly from a book and placed into a bag." then I added "I handled it with gloves to take the photos." to explain that I handled the piece with gloves to take the photos.

CCC said:
    Of course. But your eBay description says that you removed it from the book, handling it only with gloves.

I was not trying to misrepresent my item in any way I added the part in parenthesis to clarify how I handled the item to take photos as I get mad at people that list things as new and then have a photo of the item where it has been placed on a baseplate, ect. I have just contacted the bricklink seller to confirm that the item was handled the way I described it in my listing. Please note that I bought this item well over a year or two ago and I genuinely thought i remembered that, "This piece was taken directly from a book and placed into a bag." being in the description. 
    Man, don't sweat it. Just be happy you found a stupid ebayer and pray they don't find this thread and open a claim against you  =)
    SumoLegoPitfall69Johnyk668bobabricksKerre
    I would hardly say that is grounds for a claim...I listed an item as new...That was new.
    I'm just goofing with you man. Don't mind me.
    SumoLegoPitfall69bobabricks
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,299
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, we are just fooling around. It is a nice break from the UCS MF thread. I will say though, that once you place a minifigure onto a baseplate, it is no longer considered "new" in my opinion, regardless if it was handled with gloves. Of course, that is a debate for another thread :)
    LegoboypharmjodSumoLegobobabricks
    pharmjod said:
    I'm just goofing with you man. Don't mind me.
    Don't worry; we won't. 
    BumblepantspharmjodSumoLegogmonkey76bobabricksKerre
    Pitfall69 said:
    Yeah, we are just fooling around. It is a nice break from the UCS MF thread. I will say though, that once you place a minifigure onto a baseplate, it is no longer considered "new" in my opinion, regardless if it was handled with gloves. Of course, that is a debate for another thread :)
    I agree with you on that...I can see if you put the figure together with gloves and then bag it it still being considered new, but when you put it on a plate it is used...
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    What if it's hands are used to grip an accessory?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222
    edited August 2017
    For me a minifigure is by definition used if it's been assembled....although I guess if it arrives assembled, e.g. on a book cover, then there's an argument that it's new.
    gmonkey76pharmjodPitfall69
    What if it is assembled... in the packaging?
    Pitfall69sid3windr
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222
    edited August 2017
    SumoLego said:
    What if it is assembled... in the packaging?
    See my comment above - there's an argument that it's new, although when LEGO elements have been pressed together someone can always make a case for them being used....
    pharmjod
    I think he meant if someone puts it together themselves inside a poly bag, for example.
    Pitfall69sid3windr
    For me a minifigure is by definition used if it's been assembled....although I guess if it arrives assembled, e.g. on a book cover, then there's an argument that it's new.
    @drdavewatford ; You see, that is why I wasn't going to take the discussion further. You may have just released the Kraken ;)
    SumoLegoMynattsid3windrgmonkey76
    CCC said:
    I think he meant if someone puts it together themselves inside a poly bag, for example.
    As long as it has a friction pin.  

Pitfall69 said:
    ...released the Kraken...
    ...grumble grumble... wise-Kraken...  grumble grumble...
    MynattSprinkleOttersid3windrgmonkey76
  • mithridatemithridate HawaiiMember Posts: 51
    This horse... way dead. But, hey, I'm into necrohippoflagellation!

First of all, an insanely big congrats to the OP for passing the minifig on for a profit of $57. I'm very happy for you.

Not that it matters anymore, but I, too, would value it under the regular going price. Perhaps because of this from my childhood: I used to collect stamps. In a very big way for a pre-teen. As an avid philatelist, I naturally knew about the Inverted Jenny -- possibly the most famous misprint in US postal stamp history. And this Jenny is what I imagine to be the dictionary definition of a misprint. An otherwise desired print, partial or in its entirety, but at a different angle, reversed, inverted, doubled, on the wrong medium, and so forth and so on.

Alternately, an analogy from everyday life: if I were handed a $20 bill with what seemed to be a smudge of the original mint's ink, I'd be, like, "meh." If Andrew Jackson's head were printed upside down on the banknote, though, I would a) reverently place it aside in a very thick book, and b) furiously google for the nearest numismatist, legitimately expecting a handsome payday.

mak0137Shibsnowhitie
    ^ I hate that I can't post any of the 20 memes that popped into my head.
    ...necrohippoflagellation...
    ...philatelist...
    ...naturally... Inverted Jenny...
    ...original mint's ink...
    ...very thick book...
    ...furiously google...
    ... with great vengeance and furious Google those who attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know...

Meh, I'm almost over it.
    gmonkey76sid3windrPitfall69snowhitie
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I've always noted in my seller splash page that I assemble new minifigs as the prints can scratch during shipping if the parts are loose.
    edited August 2017
    Yeah, this one of those arguments I like to have about collecting Lego:

Do you have the set if you Bricklink it?
    Is Market Street a "Modular"?
    MISB vs NISB 
    SumoLegopharmjodJackad7BumblepantschuckpSprinkleOttergmonkey76
    Fighting the urge to reiterate...
    pharmjodPitfall69BumblepantsSprinkleOttergmonkey76
    I'm fighting the urge to regurgitate
    Pitfall69SumoLegoBumblepantsSprinkleOttergmonkey76
    SumoLego said:
    Fighting the urge to reiterate...
    pharmjod said:
    Oh, you know you guys want to ;)
    SumoLegoSprinkleOttersid3windrgmonkey76
    pharmjod said:
    What'd you have for dinner?
    pharmjodSprinkleOtter
    We went to the state fair today, so there was that =)
    SumoLegoPitfall69BumblepantsSprinkleOtter
    ^You needn't say more; we got ya ;)
    SprinkleOtter
    The minifigure condition is a tricky one. If you put a set together it is considered used, but there may be a special case for minifigures. I still say that once you place a minifigure on a stand or baseplate, it shouldn't be considered new. You could say "like new" or used, but in almost pristine condition. Now, what about the minifigures that come pre-assembled? Who puts them together; a human or a machine? Regardless, 99%* of all minifigures are not already assembled, so it really only affects a small amount of minifigures. 

*educated guess
  • ricecakericecake Maryland, USAMember Posts: 879
    ^ For builds-in-bags, would those be considered UISB? :)
    Pitfall69
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,316
    ^ Imagine the surprise of someone opening it up thinking it meant Unbuilt In Sealed Bag though. :P
    ricecakeSumoLegoPitfall69
    ricecake said:
    ^ For builds-in-bags, would those be considered UISB? :)

That is the most amazing thing I have ever heard.
    Gjedwardsricecake