Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Palm Trees

stickbug29stickbug29 United StatesMember Posts: 68
Hey all!
I was just wondering, as I'm new to this, what strategy would you use in building a Lego palm tree?  I liked the look in the photo, but realized when trying to buy that the official palm pieces are quite expensive and mostly sold from far-off countries.  I'm assuming this piece isn't as common as I thought it was, so what would y'all do?  Also, any other general tips to improve the model would be helpful!

Comments

• kwkwkwkw USAMember Posts: 1,158
    Check out the most recent pirates chess set, there's a nice looking palm tree in it
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    Set 75171 battle of scarif has a nice palm tree
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,242
    Or #70604 Tiger Widow Island.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,188
    What is a bit annoying is how many times I have seen both large and small palm leaves in PaB walls in stores.. Would love it to see them put the palm bases/trunks into a PaB wall at least once.. Sadly though it seems that PaB walls have gone somewhat 'basic' now, and I have not even seen any more PaB models to build (I wonder if LEGO quietly killed that feature of the PaB walls now?)
    What I think is worse is the apparent frustration of the LEGO stores to get any parts (let alone good ones)
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    It's still expensive, and doesn't bend as nicely, but you can also use the "fez" pieces, which are available in brown:

You need to be a little creative with how to attach things to the top and bottom, but it's feasible.

DaveE
    LEGO_Dad77davetheoxygenmancatwranglerMynatt
  • Wiler1969Wiler1969 Seattle, WAMember Posts: 1
    Beauteafull job, i think u have worked a lot till u made it!
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    Part number 2536 on Bricklink for the trunk... It's articulated for easy curvature.

I also use 3mm rigid hose threaded through brown 1x1 round bricks that are arranged close but not connected,  then you can add the topping and curve of your choice... 
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 230
    I'd never seen these techniques before, but the first one looks so realistic! Now I'm going to have to try it lol
    DeMontesRogerKirk
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 478
    Agreed, the Washingtonia is brilliant!
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 340
    Here is one made from buckets (it's not mine and can be found here):

madforLEGOgmonkey76IstokgAllBrickLegogramLittleLoridavetheoxygenmancatwrangler
  • Glacierfalls265Glacierfalls265 USAMember Posts: 230
    So I ended up making the Washingtonia! It now proudly stands in the Winterfield Academy Greenhouse! 

AanchirLegogramRogerKirkLittleLoricatwranglerAllBrickCalv