Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

LEGO Boost discussion and support

Comments

• RobtrybRobtryb UkMember Posts: 2
    Well the stop icon stops all the other programs that might be running at the same time. 
  • RobtrybRobtryb UkMember Posts: 2
    Still don't know how to activate the spin an other orange function tabs - they don't seem to do anything on my set even in the tutorial. 
  • SupernedzSupernedz DevonMember Posts: 5
    Robtryb said:
    Well the stop icon stops all the other programs that might be running at the same time. 

Awesome thanks, obvious when you try it out! document updated, just three orange symbols to go....
  • curiouscurious Member Posts: 36
    I've begun investigating the move hub to eventually try to create a library to control the move hub. The bluetooth logging (https://stackoverflow.com/questions/28445552/bluetooth-hci-snoop-log-not-generated turn the option on in your developer options, download from the internal SD card, open in wireshark) on my tablet cuts out before I can see the commands I get a very small log file that usually ends after the tablet finished connecting to the move hub. This is an issue with my tablet so other people with newer devices might have more success with this logging. The hubs themselves are a standard BLE device its just a matter of working out what values to write to which services, someone with more bluetooth experience might get further with this approach.

I've resorted to decompiling the apk and the dlls inside. Not quite understood how it all works yet, its a collection of c sharp, unity scripts etc that rely on downloaded json files to configure the various devices and models. I've managed to locate the firmware download url and download some of the binaries for the move hub.

The android app itself seems to only support the motor and light sensor included in the boost kit at the moment but I've found a list of strings in the firmware which is probably unreleased power functions 2 accessories or possibly some of the hub features.

LPF2-MMOTOR
    LPF2-TRAIN
    LPF2-TURN
    LPF2-POWER
    LPF2-TOUCH
    LPF2-LMOTOR
    LPF2-XMOTOR
    LPF2-LIGHT
    LPF2-LIGHT1
    LPF2-LIGHT2
    LPF2-TPOINT
    LPF2-EXPLOD
    LPF2-3.PART
    LPF2-UART

No surprises about the standard complement of M, L, X and Train motors. Turn is probably the turn sensing motor that comes with the boost? 2 types of lights and the light sensor, power is probably the move hub itself. A touch sensor again. 6-pin UART is likely the communication used to connect things so UART is probably a hub for connecting more devices, or offering a wired connection to PC like the older control bricks. No guesses what the TPOINT, and 3.PART are though. EXPLOD might be another sound or ultrasonic sensor?

Whenever LEGO finally unveil the full Power functions 2 line (next year surely?) we may end up being stuck with the only official control being via tablet apps but hopefully we get an SDK.
    ew027EvilTwin
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,346
    edited September 2017
    Most if not all of the BOOST stuff has already been reverse engineered as far as I know. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/BOOSTcommunity posts by Jorge Pereira :)

• JontyBricksJontyBricks UKMember Posts: 6
    Oh dear, followed the Facebook link and saw that there was a new version of the App. Upgraded from 1.0.11 to 1.0.16 hub/tablet locked in infinite 'wait triangle' mode. Tablet refuses to power down properly. Delete Boost App and re-install. Somethings work, somethings don't, such as demo fingers showing where to place icons but won't let user actually do it. Also programs that run once but then screen goes into zoom/shrink mode and refuses to allow any changes to be made. Would have been better to stay as was.
  • bichuelobichuelo BogotáMember Posts: 18
    on the App store I still see 1.0.11 from August 12th. Is this official? Or Android only?
    sid3windr said:
    Most if not all of the BOOST stuff has already been reverse engineered as far as I know. See https://www.facebook.com/groups/BOOSTcommunity posts by Jorge Pereira :)

Eh should have guessed someone got there already, only just had a chance to look and learning bluetooth right now and I'm nearly ready to start writing something, hubs been waiting on me for a month. Going to keep pushing ahead with my own attempt anyway, useful learning/practice.

I've downloaded the WeDo 2.0 software today and its very similar to the android app unity and .NET dlls, but with a few nice extras for dealing with Windows. Have located the bluetooth service definitions for the WeDo 2.0 Hub should help me find the json definitions in the android app. I think Jorge has guessed at the bluetooth services by using service discovery/sending commands/logging? I'll compare my results with his at the end, a comparison of the two approaches might be interesting, and I think seeing what they are up to with the app internals and firmware updates is useful in its own right. Might eventually be able to do custom firmware and provide a scripting interface to the LEGO dlls, and it looks like the app will download new device definitions when they are released which will make supporting new peripherals easier.

Given that the WeDo 2.0 software dlls are nearly identical to the android app and have been kept reasonably up to date, its fairly safe to assume we will get PC based software for the Power Functions 2 launch. Its got a USB driver as well.
    sid3windr
    Oh dear, followed the Facebook link and saw that there was a new version of the App. Upgraded from 1.0.11 to 1.0.16 hub/tablet locked in infinite 'wait triangle' mode. Tablet refuses to power down properly. Delete Boost App and re-install. Somethings work, somethings don't, such as demo fingers showing where to place icons but won't let user actually do it. Also programs that run once but then screen goes into zoom/shrink mode and refuses to allow any changes to be made. Would have been better to stay as was.
    The update showed up on my iOS 10.3.3 this morning. I also updated the firmware and no problems so far, after a brief test
  • RoboManRoboMan Somewhere Member Posts: 6
    Good news for me, earlier this week.  I've had the Boost set and a Fire tablet for several weeks, patiently waiting for the Fire app.  LEGO met their on-line schedule of "late September" by releasing the app mid-week.  Thank you!

Vernie the robot is a blast!  I've already set up a number of several action and voice routines and the little robot brings a smile to the face every time it does it's thing. :)  I've even programmed a Halloween routine, already, using some custom voice creations.  By the way, I'm running Vernie will his own "voicebox."  I got a nano Anker bluetooth speaker and mounted it on Vernie by redoing his front side a little.  It works great, with no issues.  Vernie needs to be speaking, not my tablet. ;)

So far, the Fire Boost app is working pretty well and only took about 5 minutes to download.  The only "glitch" I've encountered, is, yes, sometimes, an icon command will lock-up during a routine.  I've only had this happen, though, after running Vernie for awhile.  I've been able to fix it by pulling up the program, closing it, and reopening it.  I guess, like many cyber systems, it needs to be reinitialized after some usage to clear it out.  No big deal for me, as it's easy to remedy after running Vernie for awhile.

I'm using some Rayovac 900mah rechargeable nimh's and they're working well, with lots of run time.  With two sets (12 AAA's), I can run continuously, with one set being recharged well before I expend the set of AAA's I'm operating with.

Love the Boost!  Lot's of potential.

sid3windrsnowhitie
    Dedgecko said:
    Very deceptive marketing by LEGO that there's no onboard speaker in the system...  Nothing on the product page mentioned that, while all of the marketing videos released indicated it did have onboard sound.  After reading @Huw's review I'm kinda miffed. 

Vernie the robot, in particular, need his own icebox. :)  It's easy to add an onboard speaker, though.  I used this.

https://www.anker.com/products/variant/SoundCore-Nano-Bluetooth-Speaker/A3104041

I "customized" Vernie's body-build to accommodate the on-board speaker

If your tablet can't handle more than one Bluetooth link at a time, get one of these.

https://www.amazon.com/TaoTronics-Bluetooth-Transmitter-Connected-Transmission/dp/B00P24XKS8

I got my best prices for both units on eBay, less than Amazon, at the time.  This set-up works extremely well with Vernie.

NickF22
    Ha!  Icebox?  My post above should say Vernie needs own his voice box. ;)
  • NickF22NickF22 United KingdomMember Posts: 408
    ^ Thanks, I'd been wondering if there was a small speaker that would be suitable. This looks great, nice find! 
    edited October 2017
    Digging around some of the service definitions in the WeDo 2, theres one for a piezo tone player (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kkxs_fekWM). I don't think they ever released that accessory which is a shame. They might have felt it didn't meet expectations but it would have been pretty good for an educational set.
    RoboMan said:
    The only "glitch" I've encountered, is, yes, sometimes, an icon command will lock-up during a routine.  I've only had this happen, though, after running Vernie for awhile.  I've been able to fix it by pulling up the program, closing it, and reopening it.  I guess, like many cyber systems, it needs to be reinitialized after some usage to clear it out.  No big deal for me, as it's easy to remedy after running Vernie for awhile.

Why should a program 'need to be reinitialized'? That's a fault and in the case of Boost it can happen after running a 'three icon' routine only twice!
    Since the last update I have taken down Vernie and started on the cat. At the first programming opportunity it got stuck in demo mode (the finger showing how to drag an icon). Eventually I was able to drag icons myself by going back to the start menu several times.
    Think I've got to grips with the differences between the WeDo and Boost software. The key thing on Android is as I suspected, device definitions are downloaded from a web service. Not figured out what commands yet need to be sent. Think I might start coding with the WeDo as its a bit easier.

I was a little disappointed but not surprised when I realised the app isn't caching anything so it has to be connected to the internet, something Huw missed from his news article. Before it even asks that you connect to the internet it demands location services... There are some benefits to how they've set things up but I don't feel its particularly great to have built so much tracking into an app aimed at kids. This is pretty standard stuff for apps and diagnostic data about usage might be useful to them, but demanding location information and refusing to work without it (because you refused or worse because your internet is down) is pretty unsavoury and for me has crossed the line into unethical (at a minimum the app should work offline and your play session shouldn't be ruined because the internet is down, LEGO don't need this data that much).

I hope the same terrible corporate nonsense isn't forced on us for the Power Functions 2, the whole debacle of a tablet only launch seems like it must be in aid of getting this user/use data and has me worried that at least one manager at LEGO thinks user data is the most important thing in the world and that forcing AFOLs to use tablets too would be great. The WeDo software on the otherhand does none of this lacking any of the tracking code, a bit of copy and paste of a few bits of code and it would run the move hub.
    RoboMan said:
    The only "glitch" I've encountered, is, yes, sometimes, an icon command will lock-up during a routine.  I've only had this happen, though, after running Vernie for awhile.  I've been able to fix it by pulling up the program, closing it, and reopening it.  I guess, like many cyber systems, it needs to be reinitialized after some usage to clear it out.  No big deal for me, as it's easy to remedy after running Vernie for awhile.

Why should a program 'need to be reinitialized'? That's a fault and in the case of Boost it can happen after running a 'three icon' routine only twice!
    Since the last update I have taken down Vernie and started on the cat. At the first programming opportunity it got stuck in demo mode (the finger showing how to drag an icon). Eventually I was able to drag icons myself by going back to the start menu several times.
    It is what it is, for a toy.  You'll have to take it up with LEGO. :)  It does happen and it's easy just to clear it and do a redo.  If it was happening on a NORAD system, I'd be a little more concerned. ;) :)
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,346
    Re: the location tracking, please make sure you voice this to LEGO CS :-)
    curious
    NickF22 said:
    ^ Thanks, I'd been wondering if there was a small speaker that would be suitable. This looks great, nice find! 
    You're welcome!  It works well.  I left out some of Vernie's front-side to fit it in and just hung the speaker so it blends in with the body.  It puts out a surprising amount of volume of decent quality for it's size.
    RoboMan said:
    It is what it is, for a toy.  You'll have to take it up with LEGO. :)  It does happen and it's easy just to clear it and do a redo.  If it was happening on a NORAD system, I'd be a little more concerned. ;) :)
    Why shouldn't a toy work properly? Try explaining that to two bored children watching flashing icons on a tablet while the 'toy' does nothing. And each time we complete a new stage in the build the demo shadow hand just won't stop and let us have a go. No other Android app that we use needs continual re-booting so why should this one? Its an app, not a toy.

I see that Jangbricks has managed to do something different!
    sid3windr
    Now I'm really confused, the json is not from a web service at all, its probably passed from the android code, which is where I found the service and device definitions finally. Not sure why device definitions are then passed to a unity layer using .net code? It might just be fudging things for their unity UI so they don't have to rewrite it while the android code does the real bluetooth management on the tablet. This level of complexity is new for me although still enjoying picking over it.

Of course this implies there is no need whatsoever for the internet/location requirement, its an entirely artificial lock out from using your move hub. :(.
  • legoteacherlegoteacher NJMember Posts: 5
    Does anyone have experience using more than 1 LEGO Boost set in the same room?  I want to do an after school club at my school using 5 sets with ipads.  I am concerned that there will be problems bluetoothing/crossed signals.  
    Does anyone have experience using more than 1 LEGO Boost set in the same room?  I want to do an after school club at my school using 5 sets with ipads.  I am concerned that there will be problems bluetoothing/crossed signals.
  • dmcc0dmcc0 Nae far fae AberdeenMember Posts: 692
    ^I suspect that only paired devices would communicate in this situation if it uses bluetooth to communicate
  • CyberdragonCyberdragon Maryland, U.S.AMember Posts: 370
    edited October 2017
    According to LEGO, the Boost kit uses Bluetooth Low Energy, which allows up to 40 automatic channels. Of course the actual number of usable devices may be lower depending on data usage, but 5 should be fine.
    THANK YOU!
    edited October 2017
    I don't have direct experience but the boost move hub was developed from the WeDo 2 Hub, which is designed for classroom use and also uses bluetooth. They have made significant changes since then but I doubt they have affected multi-use. I agree with dmcc0 device pairing should allow things to work without interference. Although there could be an upper limit in the number of devices that will work per room it should be far higher than 5. Have you seen the WeDo 2 btw? Its a year older but fairly similar, it also has programs for Windows and macOS and chromebook if you have PCs or laptops available and limit on ipads.

https://education.lego.com/en-gb/downloads/wedo-2
    https://education.lego.com/en-gb/product/wedo-2
    That's my debate at the moment.  I have a Mindstorms club currently, and I decided to go with the EV3 kits vs. the education packs mainly because there is much more of a community of support out there.  The WeGo kits are the same price and have roughly 1/3 the pieces.  I didn't see any benefit to going with the WeGo other than if the bluetooth connection seems to be a problem.  Maybe I am missing something.
    They are pretty similar WeDo 2 hub is bluetooth + power which connects to peripherals. Core set comes with tilt sensor, motion sensor, medium motor. Boost has a little more. It comes with a colour sensor, motor which also acts as a rotational input(not seen this yet), the hub has bluetooth, power, built in tilt sensor and multi-colour light. The boost is more restrictive on the control device, forcing you to use a tablet and refusing to work without an internet connection (need to double check but I don't think WeDo has to be online).

I have 2 move hubs but only one tablet otherwise I'd do a quick test for you, I have WeDos waiting for me too but won't be able to pick them up for awhile.

You are probably right about boost being better value for money, cost me a lot to get the WeDos from an educational supplier, I assume its because of how distributors like to sell things (discount for bulk orders etc).

One other consideration is the WeDo2 should work with the new mindstorms and power functions when they get released (next year) but I'm not 100% confident in that. Whereas the boost I am nearly 100% confident that they will. I might be able to test that but I think it will be 1-4 weeks before I manage to pick up my WeDos.
    Supernedz said:
    Robtryb said:

Awesome thanks, obvious when you try it out! document updated, just three orange symbols to go....
    did you check the latest post at the main site, regarding Boost? https://brickset.com/article/30950/boost-programming-block-decoder

It has a link to the official Lego PDF (which seems to be private) http://uploads.brickset.com/docs/legoboostcoding.pdf

I guess this has all of the answers!

thank you!
  • feapsfeaps BrazilMember Posts: 1
    edited October 2017
    Supernedz said:
    @Supernedz , I have emailed Lego Support with some questions about Frankie the Cat (the fisrt one selected by my kid to assemble) and included the action triggers you wanted to know about.

Here is their answer:

Hope it helps!

- Feaps
  • Cowboy_HenkCowboy_Henk BelgiumMember Posts: 2
    Hello everyone;
    I made a tutorial on youtube how you can install Lego Boost on a smartphone (or any android device) If you already know this, I'm sorry but I want to share this with as many people because Lego should allow Lego Boost to be installed on smartphones too.

Make sure to read the description

This is the reason why I do this (also posted on youtube)

The Lego boost app is designed for a tablet. If you try to download it from the Play Store for your smartphone it says it's not compatible with your device.
    But we need to have it on a smartphone! Why?  (please Lego, make it compatible for smartphones)
    Because the system requirements of Lego Boost specifies this
    *Hardware
    - Android tablet with Bluetooth low power technology (BlueTooth 4.1 or higher)
    - 1 GB ram
    - Dual core processor 1.4 ghz
    - 8” display or larger
    - Microphone
    - Speaker

*Operating System
    -Android 5.0 or above

Especially the bluetooth 4.1 requirement is very important because Lego Boost communicates with bluetooth low energy.
    My only tablet (and for my kids) is a Nexus 10 from 2012 with bluetooth 4.0 I didn't know the requirements beforehand, the Official Lego shop didn't specify the bluetooth 4.1 requirement.
    So the Lego Boost app installs fine but when it tries to communicate with the lego boost Move Hub it wants to upgrade the firmware. And there is when my tablet blocks, the specification of bluetooth is too low and it stops communication.

Ok I found the solution by finding the standalone files of Lego Boost app and installing it on a smartphone with the right bluetooth specs and above android 5.0. (mine is a Oneplus 2).
    It connects fine and it updated the firmware of the Move Hub!

Afterwards I tried to connect it again with the tablet and it works because the firmware update is already done!
    Now you can choose to let it play on the smartphone or the tablet.
    The smartphone screen can be to small for the building instructions but for controlling it's ok. You can also print the building instructions with the link provided above.
    Good luck!
  • bali21bali21 nonMember Posts: 1
    I've seized this as an opportunity to get a new (but cheap!) tablet, and so if anyone else in the UK is in a similar position, I can recommend this one which has been reduced to £69.99:

http://www.argos.co.uk/product/5497797

(that pages says it only has 1GB RAM, but it actually has 2GB)

Hi Paul, 

I have checked out the specification of the tablet you recommended above.
    I can see that the device has bluetooth 4.0 
    The official lego site say that minimum spec is bluetooth 4.1
    PLease confirm if you are using the boost with this lenovo tablet successfully 

Regards
    B
    bali21 said:
    I've seized this as an opportunity to get a new (but cheap!) tablet, and so if anyone else in the UK is in a similar position, I can recommend this one which has been reduced to £69.99:

Hi Paul, 

Regards
    B
    My iPad Mini 3 has Bluetooth 4.0 and works fine with Boost, in case that helps
  • Cowboy_HenkCowboy_Henk BelgiumMember Posts: 2
    bali21 said:

Hi Paul, 

Regards
    B
    As said in my previous post bluetooth 4.0 is fine EXCEPT for the firmware update. I have a Nexus 10 with Bluetooth 4.0 and it communicates with the hub but when it wanted to do a firmware update the first time it looses its connection.

I installed Lego Boost on my smartphone (it has bluetooth 4.1) , I let it update the firmware and then I can connect the tablet with the hub (bluetooth 4.0) 
    Well I did at least one update of the firmware from my iPad mini 3 with Bluetooth 4.0 without any problem...
  • wgeminiwgemini CanadaMember Posts: 2
    Is there a detailed description of the limitation of boost comparing to EV3? 

I kind of like the Boost model where the tablet is the brain rather than a customized computer and it looks like we can code the Boost using a python library now. I also like the fact that Boost might be compatible with PF2.0. Having only two I/O ports concerns me though. Is there any other limitation like the sensor or the motor precision? 

Debating which one to get since my kid is still very young. 
  • VoodooChrisVoodooChris Out and aboutMember Posts: 4
    Hi,

Is anyone out there using an IPad Air 1 successfully with the Lego Boost kit?  I want to buy one of these for my Son for Christmas, but the Air 1 isn't listed as a compatible device. The compatibility list states that the IPad needs to have an OS version higher than 10.3 (which my IPad Air does) and that the Air 2 is supported.  I don't want to buy this for him and find out on Christmas day my IPad has some minor comparability issue which means itdoesnt work.

So, can anyone confirm that Lego Boost works with an IPad Air ?

Thanks

Vc
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,565
    There is a thread on Boost here:
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/552147

There is an amazon review where the reviewer says it works on an Air 1 too.
    wgemini said:
    Is there a detailed description of the limitation of boost comparing to EV3? 

I kind of like the Boost model where the tablet is the brain rather than a customized computer and it looks like we can code the Boost using a python library now. I also like the fact that Boost might be compatible with PF2.0. Having only two I/O ports concerns me though. Is there any other limitation like the sensor or the motor precision? 

Debating which one to get since my kid is still very young. 
    As a side note from the programming and the features, I do like that the Boost uses lots of system bricks in lots of different colors. I also have an NXT and it is very cumbersome to have such a limited color palette, not only as a cosmetic feature, but practical as well, since it is easier to find bricks when they are color-coded
    Great, thank you.

I’ve seen and digested all the comments regarding Bluetooth 4 and 4.1 and it seems a bit inconclusive.  Has anyone reading this used an iPad Air 1 with Boost to A) control Boost and B) update the Boost firmware?  

Thanks
    Any advise on how to reorganize the bricks when you want to build another model?

Vernie is quite easy since it uses the numbered bags, but I don't know exactly which should be the best method to dissassemble before you build another model. By color, size, category?
    So after not being able to find anything conclusive, I decided to just buy the kit and try it. I opened the kit, slapped batteries in to the hub, next, next, nexted my way through the first model instructions to the bit where it flashes the firmware annnnnnndddddd - it worked!  With an iPad Air 1 (Bluetooth 4).  Don’t know for sure if it will work properly controlling the models, but from what people have said I’m hopeful it will.

If you have actual experience controlling the models with an iPad Air 1, please post and share the knowledge.

Vc
    bichuelo
  • GranddaddyGranddaddy TENNESSEEMember Posts: 5
    My grandson and I are new at this but are having great fun building together.  Maybe we aren't far enough along yet but I would like for Vernie to dance while music is playing.  So far the music block has to finish before he will do any of the dance moves.  So is there a way to multi process the program blocks?  Thanks
  • GepetoGepeto FranceMember Posts: 1
    @curious Thanks for such interesting researches.

My kid was about to complete his 5th construction when his tablet refused to connect to the hub next to an update. Lego just asked me to verify if the tablet is compliant and it seems not but... it used to work fine. That's so weird and a such dissapointement for my boy.

So I've searched for a hack and have found this Python dev. I played with it on my computer (from a VirtualBox instance exactly) and it works great after all dependencies have been satisfied.

I wonder if someone already played with it and if something more evolved exists (maybe with a web server to managed the bluetooth in background)? Otherwise I am interested to do that, but as other dev I did I don't know how far that could go (a scratch interface?)
    I'm using a supported ipad
    Vernie seems to eat batteries like candy; anyone have suggestions on how to put him on a diet?  Seriously, I'm getting the message that batteries are low after about 10 minutes of use.