Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

New & looking for part information

I have been a long time Lego Star Wars collector and I am just now getting into doing some small displays/MOC's.  What I am having a hard time with is finding large plates in the sizes/slash colors I need.  I have found a few non Lego brands off Amazon and of course they don't fit very well.

Is there a location where I can see all the base plates that Lego has produced? Including color and size? 5x5 and up?

And what are some tips for finding those parts for sale?

Thanks to any & all feedback!

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,030
    Bricklink.com, both for looking them up and for buying them.

Do you want baseplates, or plates? Stick with one type or the other.

PS. what was the problem with the off-brand baseplates? Most of the ones I've tried have been fine.
    madforLEGO
  • sithbucknut77sithbucknut77 OhioMember Posts: 7
    Looking for baseplates 5x5 or bigger. 

About the off brand baseplates, I have had a difficult time getting completed sets to attach to the baseplates.  The peg alignment is just a little off.  Are there brands that should be avoided or even some that you would recommend? 
    And I guess I should be more specific on the size I am looking for.  I meant 5 inches by 5 inches and bigger.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UK / KLMember Posts: 3,486
    edited July 2017
    sizes/slash colors
    I'm curious what 'slash colours' are?
    And I guess I should be more specific on the size I am looking for.  I meant 5 inches by 5 inches and bigger.
    You're best stating how many studs you want. For example a 32x32 baseplate, or a 48x48 baseplate. No-one works in inches or cm when it comes to baseplates :)

As has been said, Bricklink is your best bet - they have a whole category for baseplates - if it's not listed there, Lego never did it.
    madforLEGO
    ^^^ Thanks! that gives much better clarity.  Calling out the amount of studs makes more sense than the overall dimensions of the said plate.  The product descriptions on some sites led me to use dimensions instead of studs.

As for your question of color....I have seen in local stores, like walmart, a few colors in just 2 sizes.  And when I tried to find them on lego.com I came up empty.  This prompted my question as to whether lego made a certain color in a certain size.

Again thanks for all the help guys! Hopefully I will make progress on my project!
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 1,974
    @sithbucknut77
    The closest plate to 5 x 5 inches is the 16 x 16 stud plate.
    Here's the Bricklink catalogue page so you can get an idea of colour availability.

https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=91405&name=Plate%2016%20x%2016&category=%5BPlate%5D#T=S&O={"ss":"UK","cond":"N","rpp":"500"}

Also if it's any help, http://studs.sariel.pl/ is an easy way of converting measurements to its stud equivalent for future builds.