Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

What happened to those yearly July classic minifigure releases?

parkocat316parkocat316 AustraliaMember Posts: 3
We dont seem to have one this year, past years were spaceman 2014, pirate 2015 and knight 2016. Anyone know why?

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    They probably think they have done all the classic sets that will make people buy more lego. Or sales are good enough not to need to do expensive boxed giveaways.

They probably could have done a classic forestman, although classic fire or police might not be such a good set seller.
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,381
    I was hoping for a classic city set this year. There are many small sets from the 80/90's that could of been done. I personally wanted a fire set, but would of been happy with just about anything.
    CaptainLego
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,330
    A Classic Town/City set would have rounded out the themes.  (Nothing is more classic than the City theme!)
    gmonkey76SprinkleOttersnowhitieCaptainLego
  • khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,220
    I was just thinking about this the other day... I would have liked the forestman (although I do have that Bricktober magnet thing somewhere...)
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,697
    SumoLego said:
    A Classic Town/City set would have rounded out the themes.  (Nothing is more classic than the City theme!)
    Fire station, police station, or lighthouse?
    SumoLegogmonkey76
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,463
    It is a shame the pirate one didn't really have the classic look of the other two. I don't mind the modern palm tree so much but the minifig would have been so much better if it was sporting the OG mustache and striped tank top. 
    SumoLegogmonkey76LEGO_Dad77
  • piratemania7piratemania7 New EnglandMember Posts: 2,019
    I think other than city/town TLG hit on all the classic themes. More or less.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,330
    edited July 2017
    SumoLego said:
    Fire station, police station, or lighthouse?
    Yes. A pofighthouse.  With a helipad.
    SprinkleOttergmonkey76sid3windr
  • blade_guyblade_guy Member Posts: 188
    I would have preferred Paradisa - I know it was niche but never mind...
    LostInTranslation
  • LyichirLyichir United StatesMember Posts: 639
    blade_guy said:
    I would have preferred Paradisa - I know it was niche but never mind...
    Most of the others had been themes or theme concepts that had been regularly revisited and updated since then (each one featured a "timeline" showing the evolution of the minifigures in those respective themes, for instance). Paradisa just doesn't have the same sort of direct lineage as themes like Pirates or Space—Lego bounced from the minifigures of Paradisa back to the full-size dolls of Belville and then to the figure-less jewelry and accessory line Clikits before landing on Paradisa's most obvious descendant, Friends—and that was over a decade later.

Town would have been a better bet, since it has more or less been a consistent subject since its inception. But I suppose they decided that the series just wasn't worth continuing for one reason or another.
    SprinkleOtter
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,197
    classic battlepacks. for example, could come with a futuron, a blacktron and a M-tron fig.
    (though I could be more tempted by castle figs)
    Bumblepants
  • sklambsklamb speaker of American EnglishMember Posts: 477
    Isn't the Iconic Caveman giveaway coming up soon? It seems to be similar in style to the classic spaceman etc...though also to the individually boxed Gingerbread Man and Chicken Man giveaways, I must admit.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    Plus 'iconic' was used for the chicken man.
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,611
    edited July 2017

It's a damn shame this series has ended considering last years #5004419 - Classic Knights Minifigure promo is easily the superior of the three! Not only does it reflect and celebrate the classic castle theme it also gives a faithful reproduction to a classic set: #6012 - Siege Cart; rather than including a random assembly of parts as did #5003082 - Classic Pirate Minifigure from 2015. It’s a perfect example of what a faithful homage and promotional product should be!

Review: https://brickset.com/reviews/50390
    LEGO_Dad77
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,169
    I think LEGO is likely done with the classic minifig sets. Most of the themes from the 80's/90's are covered. They only needed a rep from each theme, though many subthemes existed (like Forestmen) they really were not the 'main theme'. I guess they could have done the old Ninja/Samurai sets of the 90's to represent that line though, and as for City, well City is still represented today and as not changed much. Then again, Pirate is still out and a classic pirate was made, so who knows LEGO's logic.
    If LEGO would have done a classic LEGO city giveaway it probably would have been a policeman anyway.
    SumoLego
  • ReesesPiecesReesesPieces Member Posts: 716
    I thought the summer vacation guy replaced it.  He seemed to have come in a similar sized box.
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 69
    This was my favorite promo over the past few years. Very disappointed that they ended it, but I guess I can see that they were running out of themes. 

Agreed that the suitcase guy may have replaced the theme.
  • JooTogJooTog Southern CaliforniaMember Posts: 938
    I thought the summer vacation guy replaced it.  He seemed to have come in a similar sized box.

That is what I was thinking; it is just not a "classic", but a similar offering... bummer.

I would have welcomed a Vikings set.
    SumoLegoMAGNINOMINISUMBRAOnebricktoomany
  • MynattMynatt OH/NYMember Posts: 561
    Even though we already got the classic spaceman I would be excited to see other colors put into production.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 973
    I would welcome (with wide open arms) an entire Vikings line!