Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Help mounting 58827 (2x2x10 girder) horizontally

preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 85
Sorry if this has been discussed before, but I couldn't find it anywhere. I am trying to "ceiling mount" triangular support girders to create the look of a TV studio, but got stuck with the geometry.

The girder itself is 10 studs tall, which should have been easy to SNOT, but I can't seem to find the right combination of brackets to allow me to connect both the stud and the "anti-stud" ends. I even tried using jumpers to offset one of the ends, but found the half a stud offset didn't work with my initial choice of brackets (3956 and 44728).

I've also thought of just clipping one of the bars to something instead, but only one out of the three vertices of the triangle is an actual round bar, so if i use it to hang the thing from the ceiling I won't have a place to clip the lighting equipment to.

This is the part in question:

Which brackets or other SNOT elements would you use to attach it (on both ends) to the underside of a plate?

Thanks in advance!

Comments

• PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    I've done this before. I used a combination of different brackets - 3956 and 99207/44728, which as far as I can recall worked absolutely fine.

It was extremely rickety though, and fell apart almost just from looking at it. Maybe because I was connecting three horizontally...
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    I've done it before like too. I think if you are using more than one horizontally, it is best to connect with a bracket not just at both ends, but also at all the joints too.

I don't recall having a problem with the distances.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,324
    Although I was using the new style (type 4) girders. Should be the same deal though.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 975
    IMO, and assuming you have the hanging space from your 'ceiling', a much more elegant and prototypical way of doing it is by using a combination of  and 6 long (or whichever suits your needs)  chains with end studs and 11 long strings with end studs. 2 of the  former can be used at girder ends to hang at a height your happy with and the strings can be woven around the girders as required. Using combinations of chains and strings it's possible to hang any girder pieces in combination at any height, angle or orientation you want.
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,555
    you can also connect with technic axles or pins which I did once in a Star Wars minifig display frame.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,192
    Or use this:
    https://www.bricklink.com/v2/catalog/catalogitem.page?P=30518#T=S&O={}

If you do not want to and instead use the girders, then I would suggest girders with the technic hole and usage of the 3956 part @CCC suggests but with a technic pin or rod in for extra support

gmonkey76
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,388
    ^ I had no idea that part existed. All the new moc ideas I have now. Thanks @madforLEGO
    madforLEGO
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 85
    you can also connect with technic axles or pins which I did once in a Star Wars minifig display frame.
    This idea saved my project. Thank you so much!

Thanks to everyone else for the other ideas too It's great to be able to get such valuable advice on short notice.

Oh, and I'll try to order some of the horizontal ones from Bricklink next time I see them, just in case.
    madforLEGOBumblepantsCCC
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    Too late for this project, I guess, but just in case you ever need to do this sort of thing again, here's a couple SNOT ways of doing this which should line up exactly:

DaveE
    ricecakesid3windrMaffyDstlux
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,233
    shouldn't you replace technic bricks with headlight bricks?
  • davee123davee123 USAMember Posts: 804
    Fauch said:
    shouldn't you replace technic bricks with headlight bricks?
    I assume this is what you're talking about?

It works, but then you've got an odd gap at the end, not to mention that the stud sticks out ever-so-slightly in case you want to align it against a brick on the right-hand-side.

Technically, I think the technic brick is off by some miniscule amount as well (or so LEGO supposedly claims), but less so than the protruding stud of the headlight brick.

DaveE
  • magpie9magpie9 Member Posts: 11
    Take a look at set 70809, Lord Business Evil Lair. That set has done it in a studio setting.
  • preusspreuss CanadaMember Posts: 85
    davee123 said:
    Too late for this project, I guess, but just in case you ever need to do this sort of thing again, here's a couple SNOT ways of doing this which should line up exactly:

DaveE
    Thanks! It's never too late. I just built another studio yesterday with the previous technique, but will try yours in the next one.
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    davee123 said:

Technically, I think the technic brick is off by some miniscule amount as well
    It is indeed. the plate on top would not sit well if you used the technic brick.