Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which trilogy would you suggest LEGO® to base their next licensed theme on?

Comments

• Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM Cork, IrelandMember Posts: 950
    graphite said:

According to IMDB a 5th movie has been announced so I see no reason why LEGO would not want to produce some sets for it.

I'd take anything on IMDB with a pinch of salt.

• prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    Indy 5 is in the very early stages though Harrison Ford has said that they can't take as long as they did with KotCS to decide on a story or he likely won't be able to do it.

Hasbro said that they would resume the Indiana Jones action figure line if a new movie came out so it's possible that Lego would do the same.
  • GeeklyGeekly Member Posts: 1
    Ghostbusters would be fantastic. The Matrix would be sweet, but it's not really kid-friendly is it? I will love to see Back to the Future, Aliens, and a re-visitation of Indiana Jones at larger scale. Mad Max would be a source of some neat models (a Lego thunderdome, anyone?).
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    Geekly said:

Ghostbusters would be fantastic. The Matrix would be sweet, but it's not really kid-friendly is it? I will love to see Back to the Future, Aliens, and a re-visitation of Indiana Jones at larger scale. Mad Max would be a source of some neat models (a Lego thunderdome, anyone?).

Mad Max and Aliens also arnt kid friendly unfortunately:(
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Scooby Doo in "Friends" style...
  • ErnstErnst Member Posts: 133
    Although I'm not really a collector of licensed theme's maybe the Back to the Future movies could offer some nice sets and minifigures.
  • BuriedinBricksBuriedinBricks USAMember Posts: 1,367
    graphite said:

^^ Well they brought on Shia LeBeouf and kind of left it open that he might continue the franchise.

Man, I hope he's not in a 5th movie. He was just one of many things that made the 4th movie almost unwatchable.

• LegoMinifigLegoMinifig Member Posts: 5
    Sorry but you miss the biggest series ever! How about a Lego 007 theme? Great main character, awesome vechicles, and many other characters (bad guys) to build around. Think of just the 22 movies already made. So many cool things to build!
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    edited July 2012
    @LegoMinifig Haha, making James Bond would atleast give us alot of new female minifigs. TLC ran Agents a few years back. Which was a mix of JamesBond and Mission Impossible. But I think a 007 would involve a little too many modern day weapons/machines for LEGO to want touching this theme.
  • beegeedeebeegeedee Galway, IrelandMember Posts: 380
    ice age??
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    I could get on board with a Ghostbusters theme. When is that third move coming out? Keep hearing rumors but nothing substantial.
  • sonsofscevasonsofsceva 1904 World's FairMember Posts: 542
    ^Bill Murray says that he is on board if the get a quality script, so they are being serious about it again, but it is still pretty early stages. Ghostbusters could be great fun for a LEGO series, though.
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Not a trilogy, but how about some of the Ghibli movies? I would love to see some of the locales translated into lego models: Laputa, Howl's castle or elements from Spirited away. There's potential for vehicles as well. The films are well received and probably have a good fan base among both children and adults. Unfortunately, they weren't block busters in North America so they probably wouldn't have the draw of super heroes.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    I have no idea what the heck those movies are.
  • rolvtdrolvtd Member Posts: 52
    ^ You've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki? Totoro? Princess Mononoke?

• khmellymelkhmellymel United KingdomMember Posts: 1,245
    ^ I'd say Spirited Away was his most famous, no? Disney backed and all.
  • rolvtdrolvtd Member Posts: 52
    I was under the impression that Princess Mononoke was Disney as well? Anyway, back to the topic at hand....
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    Yep, Disney has international rights to all the Studio Ghibli movies and many have been released in US theatres at some point. Apparently they're even less well known than I thought :)
    rolvtd said:

^ You've never heard of Hayao Miyazaki? Totoro? Princess Mononoke?

No. Should I have?

I think I have seen Spirited Away advertised somewhere.
    Is it anime?
  • cutmygrasscutmygrass Member Posts: 9
    what about weekend at bernie's?
  • Brick_ObsessionBrick_Obsession in a "Brick" house - Calgary, AlbertaMember Posts: 654
    edited July 2012
    BattleStar Galactica!

With the original characters, none of this gender reassignment stuff going on!

Cylons, oh my!

PS - I realize it is not a trilogy, but dammit! That would rock!

BattleStar Galactica!

With the original characters, none of this gender reassignment stuff going on!

Cylons, oh my!

PS - I realize it is not a trilogy, but dammit! That would rock!

Amen ;)

I'm just realizing that the SUPERHERO is a mess up of comic and movie rights... and lack of the same.
    They got both MARVEL-AVENGERS-movie rights. But MARVEL-XMEN-comic rights (not XMEN-movie). And they got BATMAN rights, but that too is based on the comic, not the DARK KNIGHT-TRIOLOGI.

With DC-UNIVERSE, it seems like they stayed strickly to the comic books? Unless they plan superman-set connected with the upcoming movie.

Didn't they get the Dark Knight rigths, or don't they want the rights? Or do they take some strategic consideration with each movie?
    edited July 2012
    icey117 said:

I'm just realizing that the SUPERHERO is a mess up of comic and movie rights... and lack of the same.
    They got both MARVEL-AVENGERS-movie rights. But MARVEL-XMEN-comic rights (not XMEN-movie). And they got BATMAN rights, but that too is based on the comic, not the DARK KNIGHT-TRIOLOGI.

With DC-UNIVERSE, it seems like they stayed strickly to the comic books? Unless they plan superman-set connected with the upcoming movie.

Didn't they get the Dark Knight rigths, or don't they want the rights? Or do they take some strategic consideration with each movie?

TLG has license agreements with Disney and Warner Bros (owners of Marvel and DC respectively). Marvel doesn't own film rights for a number of characters - X-Men, Spiderman, The Punisher (though Lionsgate let these lapse because of how appalling the second film did at the box office), Blade (I think), and possibly a few others. This is why LEGO Avengers is based on the film, but X-Men/Spiderman are based on the comics.

The DC Superheroes line is currently based on the comics, but TLG has had/does have a licensing agreement to produce The Dark Knight sets (see #7888, and images for 2013 minifigures which include film versions of Bane and Jim Gordon).
    @Steve_J_OM Thanks... made sense! And explains why LEGO decided to go for one SUPERHERO bucket theme to gather whatever version of the heros they got hold of. Brilliant move!
    ^ Yep, there really is a scary amount of potential for both Marvel and DC. Sony have the film rights for X-Men and Spiderman, but they have to release film versions within certain time periods or they revert back to Marvel (a big reason for the production of X-Men: First Class and The Amazing Spiderman respectively). So unless that happens we're going to keep seeing comic book-based sets for those particular characters.

Actually having mentioned The Punisher and Blade above, it raises an interesting point - they're both pretty adult-oriented characters in the Marvel universe. If Marvel did retrieve the rights and released new films, would TLG go for a license? Or would they be deemed an ill-fit with the brand image?
    @Steve_J_OM But LEGO managed to get the rights for the last SPIDERMAN TRILOGI with Tobey Maguire. Did Sony get the movie rights in between?
    No, Sony did the Sam Raimi trilogy too. I'd forgotten about the original Spiderman theme back in the early 2000s. Were they film-based? Maybe TLG struck a license agreement with Sony back then for those films.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411

Geekly said:

Mad Max and Aliens also arnt kid friendly unfortunately:(
    The only thing wrong with the Alien films really apart form the language, especially in the 3rd one. The violeance I think is not that bad, I just want a technic Xenomorph
    "Game over man! Game over!"
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    XD

GET AWAY FROM HER YOU BRICK :p
  • SpiderManSpiderMan Member Posts: 47
    ^^^ The original Spidey sets were based off the first two movies, then MB stole the license for the third movie and retained it for ASM. LEGO did base sets off the first two, so there is potential that they could take the Sony Spidey license back from MB in the future. Atleast we can hope so (:
    edited July 2012
    @SpiderMan ASM?
  • SpiderManSpiderMan Member Posts: 47
    Amazing Spider-Man sorry
  • StompingFreakStompingFreak United KingdomMember Posts: 59
    richo said:

I am in the UK and really do not like Dr Who!
    I have a sort of personal in built rule, that Sci-Fi straight to TV in this country often suffers from a variety of issues (most fairly obvious so no need to go in to them in detail) when compared to big screen Sci-Fi.

Still, it's popular among children.

How can you hate the longest running si-fi tv series. It has fans all over the world. not just uk and usa. The last count of fan club members was over 28million. I'm talking about fans of the new(tennant/smith etc) and the as it's now know the classic(Hartnell, Trougton, Pertwee, Baker, Davison, Baker, McCory) series. Plus many great si-fi show are stright to tv. Shows have issuses. but you can see beyond this. I take it you only like large cash flow to keep your imagination going. no floors, errors etc. Dr Who (CBT now make, not great sets), would have been a great Lego design, Hundreds of possable sets from new/classic.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited September 2012

richo said:

I am in the UK and really do not like Dr Who!
    I have a sort of personal in built rule, that Sci-Fi straight to TV in this country often suffers from a variety of issues (most fairly obvious so no need to go in to them in detail) when compared to big screen Sci-Fi.

Still, it's popular among children.

How can you hate the longest running si-fi tv series. It has fans all over the world. not just uk and usa. The last count of fan club members was over 28million. I'm talking about fans of the new(tennant/smith etc) and the as it's now know the classic(Hartnell, Trougton, Pertwee, Baker, Davison, Baker, McCory) series. Plus many great si-fi show are stright to tv. Shows have issuses. but you can see beyond this. I take it you only like large cash flow to keep your imagination going. no floors, errors etc. Dr Who (CBT now make, not great sets), would have been a great Lego design, Hundreds of possable sets from new/classic.
    nope, don't need large cashflow at all in films. love plenty of low budget art house & indie fims. I did actually really enjoy Dr Who back in the day with Sylvester McCoy, but for me it just feels so wooden and corny to watch now. Maybe its getting old, I don't know... Besides, we can't all like the same things. I guess I'll have to be on the other side of the fence to the 28m!

As a final point, I thought the first comeback series wasn't too bad, but there again Christopher Eccleston is a wonderful actor who I have liked for many years, stemming from the superb 'Our Friends in the North'. It went downhill fast for me when David Tennant took over, but maybe that's because I don't view him in the same league as Eccleston.
    One that just managed to become TRIOLOGY and that would make a great theme is ASTERIX & OBELIX. The movies are French... didn't really bust the market, but the story is sparkling of great opportunties:

1 - Lots of great minifigs
    2 - of which: Roman soldiers(!!!)
    3 - Cozy cottages
    4 - funny war machines
    5 - Roman outposts and buildings
    6 - lots of story material (from the books atleast)

Wonder if they still are famous amoung kids...
  • seonadancingseonadancing Member Posts: 92
    Anybody interested in He-man? It's one of my favorite shows before, and the toys were great. I'd like to see a minifig battlecat, and the other skeletor purple tiger thingy. Can anybody remember the cartoons where the heroes will shout "POWER EXTREME!" then all these machines and guns will come and stick to their body, making them look like robots.
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    ^^ not a bad shout Asterix.
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    I would love Asterix to appear. The movies for me have always fallen flat compared to the books though. The humor appears to get lost.
  • LEGO_NabiiLEGO_Nabii Member Posts: 34
    Dirty Harry (6 movies)
    Alien (4 movies + predator crossovers + Prometheus)
    Jaws (4 movies)
    Fast and the Furious (5 movies - and 2 more on the way)

Just four series LEGO will never do but that I'd love to have!
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,431
    I could get on board with a Ghostbusters theme. When is that third move coming out? Keep hearing rumors but nothing substantial.
  • PlasticDotsPlasticDots Member Posts: 80
    How about a saw trilogy
  • sandtherapysandtherapy Member Posts: 108
    How about anything from Tim Burton? I can just imagine Ooogie Boogie, Jack & Sally as minifigs.
    @kevbags The problem with the Asterix (french movies) humour is that it's quite internal French. My wife is French and when she explains why it's funny I still don't catch it. They make fun of their disfunctional postal system, or train-stationspersonal clichés and such. Obviously when it's then translated to English, there's not shade of fun left. Quite a shame for the same of the international audience!
  • mressinmressin Lego City... erm LondonMember Posts: 843
    How about Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy?
  • SirKevbagsSirKevbags Fairy Land Member Posts: 4,030
    ^ I can only speak for the books published in the UK but I think they translate brilliantly. Not sure when they were done 60's/70's? For me they have stood the test of time. I probably saw the first animated film at school during French lessons in the late 80's. Even then I didn't get the laughs on screen I did from the books.

Maybe it's me but Asterix will always be about the books which in the grand marketing scheme these days would be a major handicap in making a commercially successful theme.
    @kevbags Since the movies never really took the market, it makes sence to base a theme on the books, which was a great success. A bit like the Superhero theme... some of the sets are also based on the comics and not the movie!