Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which trilogy would you suggest LEGO® to base their next licensed theme on?

Comments

• LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    please not Dr Who. Small screen sci-fi is nearly always terrible, bad acting, awful sets, and then even worse special effects. I make an almost unwritten rule of not watching any tv sci-fi. It's stood me in good stead all these years.
    Have you not seen the recent BSG series? That was amazing!
  • fyrmedhattfyrmedhatt Member Posts: 128
    please not Dr Who. Small screen sci-fi is nearly always terrible, bad acting, awful sets, and then even worse special effects. I make an almost unwritten rule of not watching any tv sci-fi. It's stood me in good stead all these years.
    I think you are the one missing out. The Dr. Who reboot (post 2005) is pretty good, the plots are decent, the production values are good (not as great as hollywood sci-fi obviously) and the actors are British, so they are better than the average Hollywood stock. If it had the American marketing machine behind it, we could possibly have seen Dr. Who Lego, but right now it's too niche to be of any commercial interest.

The series does have core values that fit well with the Lego brand, so if we see a surge in Dr. Who popularity, who knows what the future will bring?

• soundczarsoundczar Member Posts: 21
    This probably will never happen, given the new LOTR license, but I was thinking a Chronicles of Narnia theme might work well. Castles, ships, battles, interesting figs (fauns, minetors, dwarves, etc). Anyway, just my two cents . . .
  • bigjsdbigjsd Member Posts: 62
    I think Avatar would make a great building theme and will someday be part of a trilogy.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,098
    This probably will never happen, given the new LOTR license, but I was thinking a Chronicles of Narnia theme might work well. Castles, ships, battles, interesting figs (fauns, minetors, dwarves, etc). Anyway, just my two cents . . .
    I'm surprised Lego didn't originally license Narnia. I agree that at this point it ain't happening as the past two films have done middling box office.
    I think Avatar would make a great building theme and will someday be part of a trilogy.
    Lego and Avatar just don't seem to be a good match to me. I mean outside of the ships what exactly are you going to build? Trees? Lego is about stacking bricks to create something; something some seem to forget.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ yeah. there seems to be this compulsion among LEGO fans to want to see all their other favorite tv/movie/game/ip/etc turned into an official LEGO set or theme, and all rational thought about market appeal and actually suitability fly out the window.

Here's a hint: If there is something you are dying to see made in LEGO - go do it!!!! that's the beauty of LEGO.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,005
    I don't know if it has been said already on this thread, but for me the problem with Lego Dr Who is that Character Building Dr Who already exists.

• Brick_WallBrick_Wall Member Posts: 7
    The question is...who will the Ninjagoians be attacked by next?
  • mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Evil Robots?

Wow those Dr. Who figures look great, they almost look like friends figs.
  • BanditBandit Member Posts: 890
    The question is...who will the Ninjagoians be attacked by next?
    That's already known. Pirates are the next enemy.
    Evil Robots?

Wow those Dr. Who figures look great, they almost look like friends figs.
    Yes, they do. If Lego did make them, they would have to go a long way to beat these from a kid's view (rather than a lego purist's view). They would need to make new moulds for hair at the very least.

Although, tbh I don't see the point of Lego trying to make them - they already exist from another company and are just too close to Lego already. Lego collectors might want Lego branded characters, but Dr Who fans already have them.
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    I wonder why TLC didn't jump on the NARNIA triology when it started. It was a DISNEY production, fairytalish and rather kid-friendly. But maybe they already had the Lord of the Rings theme in mind then?
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    I wonder why TLC didn't jump on the NARNIA triology when it started. It was a DISNEY production, fairytalish and rather kid-friendly. But maybe they already had the Lord of the Rings theme in mind then?
    It's also known as being overtly, and controversially, religious.

^ So like LOTR and Star Wars?
    ^ So like LOTR and Star Wars?
    They're no where near as blatant in their religious tone (Star Wars' is more tacked on than anything). Even Tolkien told Lewis that he overdid the religious undertone of the Narnia books.

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited June 2012
    @prof1515,

Have you been watchng Shadowlands!? I watched it again recently. Quite moving.

rich
    The BBC version from the 80s or the theatrical release from the 90s?
  • dotknottdotknott Member Posts: 30
    My sister started putting together Game of Thrones Minifigs... (I love her version of the hound!) Personally, I think Dr. Who would make for a a great set. Lot's of minifig potential, and seeing as the show's setting changes almost every episode, lots of set potential.
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    Well the Secound of the Star Trek Re-boots is on the way the first drawing in good crowds, 3rd is almost a certain thing so that may not be a bad licence for Lego. Imaging some of the UCS sets you could build, 5000 Piece Borg cube!!!!!!!

edited June 2012
    Custom figs sound cool, but the problem with Game of Thrones is that it's on one of those sexy pay tv channels.
  • Mars_Needs_LEGOMars_Needs_LEGO USAMember Posts: 23
    If LEGO were to produce Star Trek sets, my only fear is they'd stick to the reboot universe and ignore TOS, etc. Which would break my heart, as I still love that series the best, although DS9 is a close second.
    If LEGO were to produce Star Trek sets, my only fear is they'd stick to the reboot universe and ignore TOS, etc. Which would break my heart, as I still love that series the best, although DS9 is a close second.
    Agreed.
    Reboot... that show would make a good lego theme.
    edited June 2012
    Doh!
  • muffenmanmuffenman Member Posts: 75
    OMG yes lol I was 13 or 14 when that started
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I watched the film with Anthony Hopkins. Seen it a couple of times.
    UGH. I hated that show. I think it's on netflix. My boyfriend has been putting it on often lately.
    I hated it at first... but there is something special about that show I cannot explain. Maybe it is because it takes place inside computers like Tron. Not quite cyberspace, but physically inside.
    edited June 2012
    Even Tolkien told Lewis that he overdid the religious undertone of the Narnia books.
    I don't really get why a "religious undertone" should hinder LEGO from producing it as a theme. There are people religiously believing in witches and ghosts and still LEGO produces them - The Ninjago has obvious Buddhist elements - Prince of Persia has Islamic architecture. LEGO even produced a pig-farm!!! I'm not so sure neither of these will affects anyones worldview... neither would a NARNIA theme.
  • MagnusReignMagnusReign Member Posts: 14
    I actually wish they would come out with a StarCraft theme. Sooo many possibilities and the story is actually pretty deep. You've got 3 factions Humans, Zerg, and Protoss with each a unique design element.
    edited June 2012
    I'm pretty sure that as long as TLC runs the STARWARS theme they'll not hazard the sale by another sci-fi license (STARTREK, STARCRAFT etc.). Guess that's why they didn't jump on JOHN CARTER either. It was Disney, gigantic budget, had lots of artistic vehicles/buildings/races and was surposed to become a triology. Still they didn't go for it! (The movie kindof flopped, but since LEGO produce the sets way ahead of the movie hitting screens, they didn't know it would.)
    ...or they just safeplay it like with POTC, LOTR!
  • BumblepantsBumblepants DFWMember Posts: 6,513
    The flops of Speed Racer and Prince of Persia has probably caused Lego to shy away from new, unproven properties such as John Carter as well.
    edited June 2012
    ^ Just watched Brave this weekend (pretty solid movie, but lower-tier for Pixar. Nothing memorable long-term - a chunk of the base storyline seemed rather a ripoff of a previous Disney movie, Brother Bear). I can see why LEGO passed on it, as honestly there weren't too many scenes that would have transferred well to LEGO sets, and anything that would have has a pretty Castle-heavy feel to it, which is too much overlap with LotR.
    I really think Lego should consider getting into a niche market like Manga. One Piece in particular would work extremely well. The pirate theme doesn't really get old and the unique characters and design of that manga would transfer incredibly well. Many many fans of the manga that are not Lego enthusiast would buy it for sure and it would appeal to traditional Lego collectors for the characters and design. If I had enough resources I'd develop this myself and put it on CUUSSO. Who wouldn't want the Thousand Sunny!? Also imagine a Thriller Bark battle with Gekko Moria inside of Oars vs Luffy! So many possibilities. I know people that don't read the manga or watch the anime might not get it but the uniqueness of the characters and design should appeal to everyone.
    ... it would appeal to traditional Lego collectors for the characters and design... Who wouldn't want the Thousand Sunny!? .... should appeal to everyone.
    not everyone.... ;-)

Ok not everyone but their target demographic...kids.
    edited June 2012
    The flops of Speed Racer and Prince of Persia has probably caused Lego to shy away from new, unproven properties such as John Carter as well.
    Alright - this question properly belongs in another thread - but how do we know a theme failed? Obviously if a second wave it's implicit that its a cash cow. But some theme's are just meant to be one wave. TOY STORY sets I've seen in two different box-designs, which make me wonder if they had a second edition production of it - though it was one wave theme.
    Speed Races flopped(?) - but that was quite an irregular theme (few and even priced theme's), and it was barely at TRU in Norway atleast and had no promotion around it. Not even sure there was a microsite.
    But how do "we" know that ex. PRINCE OF PERSIA "flopped", however we define "flop".
    ^ well, we don't "know" for sure of course, but it's kind of easy to infer sales based on how long these items site on store shelves, especially LONG after LEGO had them in their stores and on their website, lots of clearance sales, lasting months and months. PoP is a great example - those sets were on clearance everywhere for a very long time. Heck, they are still on shelves at some places.
  • CancanCancan Member Posts: 31
    I really don't care for licensed themes much and only buy SW and HP because my 6-year-old begs for them. However, I would love a Tintin line - there are so many great opportunities there, like the Unicorn or Moulinsart. It's too bad Nanoblocks are doing that line instead.
    I would like to see Lego re-visit Indiana Jones. Those sets do very well on the secondary market and there is an enduring fan base. For example my three year old boy loves Indiana Jones and he hasn't even sat through one of the movies in its entireity.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    I would love to see, The Matrix and the Alien Trilogys become LEGO products....

Sigh, we need adult sets :P
    ^ I think I recently counted up about 20 currently produced "adult" - aimed LEGO sets. Not bad all things considered, given our overall share of sales.
    edited June 2012
    ^^ I don't think that you could properly replicate Aliens with Lego without making a proper chest burster.
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    I would like to see Lego re-visit Indiana Jones. Those sets do very well on the secondary market and there is an enduring fan base. For example my three year old boy loves Indiana Jones and he hasn't even sat through one of the movies in its entireity.
    According to IMDB a 5th movie has been announced so I see no reason why LEGO would not want to produce some sets for it.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,410
    I would like to see a Resident Evil licensed theme. Probably one of the best video game franchises of all time. Plus, they have made a bunch of movies as well. They are on movie number 5 I believe.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    @graphite Won't believe it to I see it, anyway why make another one, Harrison Ford is about 70 XD
  • jamiewjamiew Member Posts: 165
    Ghostbusters would be my number 1. They could even base it off the comics or cartoon to swing the kid angle. I'd also love to see some Mad Max--gotta love post apocalyptic hot rodded vehicles. And it'd also make for some seriously wicked minifigures
  • graphitegraphite USMember Posts: 3,263
    ^^ Well they brought on Shia LeBeouf and kind of left it open that he might continue the franchise.