Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Which trilogy would you suggest LEGO® to base their next licensed theme on?

Comments

• richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    edited January 2012
    I am in the UK and really do not like Dr Who!

I have a sort of personal in built rule, that Sci-Fi straight to TV in this country often suffers from a variety of issues (most fairly obvious so no need to go in to them in detail) when compared to big screen Sci-Fi.

Still, it's popular among children.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    I know I'm hoping for a Strike Back license... :o)
  • HuskerDontHuskerDont Member Posts: 32
    @krklint I would think that TLG would have discussed licensing a Doctor Who line, but as @sonsofsceva said, it's popular in the UK, but not nearly as much in the US. I don't think Target or TRU would dedicate much shelf space or advertising to something that is relatively unknown in the US. You can't even find the action figures sold in any retail store. I think that the cost to create numerous molds to only be used for the line would also work against the decision the create the series.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,541
    How big is Dr. Who, anyway? It has a small but loyal following in the States. I know it is immensely popular in the UK, but what about in the rest of Europe, Australia, and other?
    Id say it is growing pretty well in the US to be honest. (and it is Doctor Who instead of Dr. Who, as the Character goes by the name of the 'Doctor'.... sorry, the fan in me had to say that)
    But again I think you hit the nail on the head.. while it is popular in certain regions, it has to catch the imagination of kids everywhere.. now with the rumored Doctor Who movie perhaps they would have an opening to increase the popularity....
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    Sigh...

As much as I would love a Matrix series ( I made myself a Neo) it would be far to violent for kids to play with, although if there is a Halo out there, maybe one day....

Has NON-ONE thought of Sherlock?
    The BBC TV series, although it's a TV movie, there have been 6 made so far.

Speaking of TV shows, what about a LOST license?
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    edited January 2012
    Dr Who is pretty niche I think.

Aardman would probably be a better bet. Wallace and Gromit are huge internationally.
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    ^Imagine the hideous spongebob type giant heads they would have to stick on the figures though!

Having enjoyed the steam-punkness of the 2 Robert Downey Jr Sherlock Holmes films I thought they would make some great sets.

It's probably more of a case of seeing what large-scale family action films Disney has lined up for the next few years and what they're likely to push for merchandising (other than the marvel stuff).
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    I suspect at this stage Lego may not be looking for another licenced theme. We can but hope our favourite franchises make it into, I love the idea of an Aardman line and the suggestion of an Avatar line might be interesting but the current crop of deals is likely to keep TLG busy for a few years, between the Warner and Disney deal they have access to every super heroes moving going (Iron Man 3, Captain America 2, Thor 2, Avengers 2 (yes it is already being scripted), Upcoming Spiderman trilory, two more x-men films planned, Superman filming and the long planned Wonder woman in the offings (and those are the ones we know about) notwithstanding the Disney side which is planning a couple more PoC films and the Pixar side with Monsters Inc 2 heading our way and access to the Disney back catalogue (Princesses, Tinkerbell, Mickey etc) there is almost endless scope there. Factor in the LoTR and SW lines which will be here for a few years yet that is a lot of licence for one company.

That said if i had to pick anything i would go for Discworld Lego, take your pick, three TV movies in the can and a fourth on the way, 39 novels selling over 65 million copies world wide, now that is a fan base, and the material i think would fit very well with TLG's sense of mischief and tong in cheek humour it likes to add.
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Really hope they re-release the Back To The Future trilogy in 3D at the cinemas in 2015 for the 30 year anniversary and TLG considers this line.
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    @monkey_roo - I'm hoping they do a set for Ghost Rider 2 also.
  • prof1515prof1515 EarthMember Posts: 1,561
    What? No Twilight complete with minifigures that "sparkle"? I mean, really, if the characters in the Twilight films/books aren't perfectly suited to be represented by a lifeless lump of plastic with extremely limited expression what is?
  • tamamahmtamamahm Member Posts: 1,956
    Percy Jackson.

Next to Harry Potter, that is probably one of the most read kid series. I think this would be a big hit. We already had to get the Minotaur for my daughter because she wants Percy Jackson characters.

Tammy
  • jmoney001jmoney001 Member Posts: 13
    Star Trek would be awesome and plausable. No rated R movies, been around forever and popular, especially now with the new movie out (and another in 2012). I would buy all of the TNG sets personally (Picard, data, Worf, etc..). They could make so many playsets. Bridges, engine rooms, ships, scenes from away missions, SF HQ, shuttles, so many different races, etc.. Lego borg!
    Star Trek would be awesome and plausable. No rated R movies, been around forever and popular, especially now with the new movie out (and another in 2012).
    The release date is set for May 17, 2013.

• GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    Has no one thought of Jurassic park, its quite a big film franchise with a lot of fans.
    I remember watching it being one of my favourites when I was little, so it could be a success for Lego.
    Also with a Jurassic Park 4 in the works, the movie could tie in with that?

On a side note, does any one notice that half of the top 20 highest grossing films have been made into Lego?
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,416
    @Galidormeveragain - I think Dino does a pretty good job there.
    edited January 2012
    Based on historical data, I would just keep an eye on what's next up from Alfred Molina. :o)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    hmmm, lego vivaldi !!:)!
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    @Yellowcaste! :-) Good observation, hahah!
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,381
    @galidorneveragain Lego had a crack at some JP Lego a while back - http://www.brickset.com/detail/?Set=1370-1
    It wasn't great and only two set were made, (my opinion)
  • GalidorneveragainGalidorneveragain Member Posts: 89
    @monkey_roo
    Wasn't that more of a crossover theme with studios and johnny thunder.
    What I meant was for a entirely new theme to recreate some places, from the top of my head: the musuem,The hatching area? from the first movie and those abandoned buildings in the second movie.
    It could be possible because:
    Star wars has filled in for Space
    Pirates of the caribbean has replaced Pirates
    Lord of the rings has taken charge from Castle
    Speed racer was a filler for Racers?
    Indina Jones was inspired from Adventurers?
    So seeing this pattern then we could see some possible themes which are similar to Dino,Atlantis,Exo force and maybe a History theme with a mixture of Vikings,Prince of Persia,Western etc

Or maybe we could see some entirley different themes like Harry Potter,Superheroes and Spongebob.

But to be honest I don't really see Lego releasing that many new themes for next year mainly due to that I see Lord of the rings/The Hobbit being a theme to last for 2 years and Superheroes will be in the headlines for years to come and with Star Wars leading the game at the moment, the only way I see a new theme is for Cars to end and I think that something like the upcoming Monsters Inc will replace that? Or maybe with the news of the 3868 Phineas and Ferb Lego Board game we could see some more shows from Disney?
  • jb15jb15 Member Posts: 53
    We need LEGO KUNG-FU PANDA!!

That would be awesome.
    Indina Jones was inspired from Adventurers?
    Actually it's the other way around. The Adventurers theme was heavily influenced by Indiana Jones. When Indiana Jones debuted in 2008, the Adventurers had been gone for half a decade (even then under the name of "Orient Expedition" though it was clearly of the Adventurers line). The Indy license was an easy leap given that Lego had dealings with Lucasfilm via Star Wars and had formerly had ties with Spielberg via the Studios theme. With the release of KOTKS it was a natural choice.
    So seeing this pattern then we could see some possible themes which are similar to Dino,Atlantis,Exo force and maybe a History theme with a mixture of Vikings,Prince of Persia,Western etc
    It's not really a pattern though, just coincidence that the (sometimes merely anticipated) big license deals were similar to past or present Lego themes. That's why we haven't seen any licenses similar to Atlantis, Power Miners or Agents.
    But to be honest I don't really see Lego releasing that many new themes for next year mainly due to that I see Lord of the rings/The Hobbit being a theme to last for 2 years and Superheroes will be in the headlines for years to come and with Star Wars leading the game at the moment, the only way I see a new theme is for Cars to end and I think that something like the upcoming Monsters Inc will replace that? Or maybe with the news of the 3868 Phineas and Ferb Lego Board game we could see some more shows from Disney?
    Agreed however expect Lego to release a line for whatever new movies, animated or live-action, that Disney has slated in the future. If they think it'll be a cash cow, they'll mine it for a theme. Whether the gamble turns out to be a Pirates of the Caribbean or a Prince of Persia is a different story.

• kufkuf Member Posts: 66
    How about The Hunger Games? The minifigures of Katniss and Peta... of Effie Trinket... but I think the violence may be a bit off putting for LEGO, unfortunately.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ yeah, don't see it happening.
  • SherlockbonesSherlockbones Member Posts: 411
    What about the Sherlock Holmes movies? Although there is only;y two films recently, there have been LOADS of movies, think of a Lego version of RD.JR as SH!
  • icey117icey117 DenmarkMember Posts: 506
    Ha... woundn't it be a laugh if LEGO made a G.I.Joe theme?
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,897
    edited April 2012
    ^^ And Robert Downey Jr could join the 2 minifigs club :P Some sort of steampunk victorian theme would be great, and unlike anything other theme currently running. (I think a greek/roman theme is unlikely as this would probably fit in the 'castle' spot that LOTR will be taking for the time-being).

edit: I think I'm just repeating myself, looking at my earlier post in this thread. And confusing it with the 'next licence' thread that is also active.
    ^ I initially thought about combining the threads but the OP really did limit this discussion to trilogies... :o)
  • bellybutton290bellybutton290 Member Posts: 453
    BTTF
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^ I initially thought about combining the threads but the OP really did limit this discussion to trilogies... :o)
    seems like splitting hairs - I say combine, the comments in both tend to be 80% duplicative anyway.

At this time, we'll see how the 4 distinct threads develop...
  • tglynntglynn Member Posts: 1
    I think you should do LEGO Back to the Future for the next Trilogy LEGO set. I think the Time Machine,the Mcfly's House,and the Train that helped Marty and Doc get back to 1985 in the Third movie shoud be LEGO sets.
  • black_towrblack_towr MinnesotaMember Posts: 165
    I think you should do LEGO Back to the Future for the next Trilogy LEGO set. I think the Time Machine,the Mcfly's House,and the Train that helped Marty and Doc get back to 1985 in the Third movie shoud be LEGO sets.
    BTTF would be the best selection as far as i'm concerned.

• mrseatlemrseatle Member Posts: 410
    Robotech would be awesome!

The trilogy being; Macross, Southern Cross, Invid Invasion.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    Ha... woundn't it be a laugh if LEGO made a G.I.Joe theme?
    Yes, even more so considering that Hasbro owns the GI Joe IP and Hasbro makes Kreo, meaning that it'll never happen. :)
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,097
    Considering what has been discussed I would wager on a Lone Ranger license for next summer when the new movie is released. Doesn't really excite me but it should partially appease those looking for a western theme.
  • Pitfall69Pitfall69 0 miles to Legoboy's houseMember Posts: 11,401
    I'd love a Clash of the Titans theme. Star Trek would be great, but I will think outside the box and would also love Underworld and The Evil Dead.
    ^ Megablock has the Star Trek license...
    No, Kreo does. Megablocks had it long ago. However, it should be noted that Megablocks once had the Pirates of the Caribbean license so unless it's proprietary it's not a given that the license won't switch companies.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    I am not sure that Doctor Who would translate in to Lego very well. I for one am not a fan of the most recent series, every episode consists of: "Oh dear we are in an impossible situation." Deus Ex Machina "Yay, it's all good again."
    No, Kreo does. Megablocks had it long ago.
    Ahh, you're right... Megablock USED to have it... :)

Hopefully Hasbro does something better with it, but sadly Star Trek is a pretty dead IP right now. The reboot movie was interesting, and actually decently made, but it had little to do with "Star Trek" other than the names of the people, places, and things.
  • CapnRex101CapnRex101 United KingdomAdministrator Posts: 2,282
    ^There is another Star Trek movie on the way, so that could reinvigorate the franchise a bit, but I would agree that Lego Star Trek would be a difficult theme to get off the ground. I would have thought that no company could hold Star Wars and Star Trek licenses at the same time given the competition between them.
  • mathewmathew Member Posts: 2,097
    edited June 2012
    ...but sadly Star Trek is a pretty dead IP right now. The reboot movie was interesting, and actually decently made, but it had little to do with "Star Trek" other than the names of the people, places, and things.
    I don't think Star Trek is a dead IP. Here's the thing about Star Trek: A lot of people like it but don't like to admit to it. So I wouldn't necessarily write off the theme based on what you perceive as a dead IP. The last movie while not being all that consistent with established canon was a pretty big hit in the US and I'm willing to bet that the sequel will do well (if it's as entertaining as the first one). OTOH there isn't a tv show currently on the air and much of the fanbase is more or less nostalgic for the original series and TNG.

I personally would love to see Lego do a classic Trek theme. I think Lego bricks and the campy 60's look of the old show would be a match in heaven. I can already imagine Kirk vs. Gorn minifigure battle pack being hugely popular.

• andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    I am not sure that Doctor Who would translate in to Lego very well. I for one am not a fan of the most recent series, every episode consists of: "Oh dear we are in an impossible situation." Deus Ex Machina "Yay, it's all good again."
    lol - that is definitely true! I'm catching up on the new series, going in order (thank you, Netflix!) from the Ninth until the end of the current series with the Eleventh. Although I do enjoy watching them, so many of them these days do have that deus ex machina thing going on ... I don't know if "my" Doctor (the Fourth) ever had more than a couple of those kinds of moments ...

That said, Doctor Who is still way better than any number of 'reality' shows, etc ...
    I don't think Star Trek is a dead IP. Here's the thing about Star Trek: A lot of people like it but don't like to admit to it.
    I like what Star Trek was when Gene was in charge, TOS and TNG were wonderful... TNG was the height of the ideal of it...

After Gene passed and they went to DS9, it was interesting for the first few seasons, then it became all about war and fighting, exploration and wonder went away...

Voyager had its good parts, but overall it became a bit absurd after awhile. Enterprise was never interesting, it could have been, but it really just never made it work.]

Putting it to sleep for a generation was wise, in a few years, they can launch another TV series with new people running it and hopefully take it in a better direction. Less war, more exploration. The trick of course is avoiding the "alien of the week" situation, but one of the nice things about TNG is that you can watch them in almost any order, they were mostly self contained, but had a lot of references that kept fans interested.

DS9, if you didn't watch them in order or missed a season, you were completely and totally lost.
  • andyscouseandyscouse Western MAMember Posts: 365
    DS9, if you didn't watch them in order or missed a season, you were completely and totally lost.
    The same can (almost) be said of modern Doctor Who. Some episodes are stand-alone, but for the most part, each series has an overall 'arc'.

The original Who would tend to be broken into 4- or 6-part series, each relatively standalone.

For me, I wouldn't mind seeing either Doctor Who or Star Trek in Lego™.

• thorniethornie Member Posts: 245
    My dream world... An adult theme.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) - Baratheon, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell battle packs. Winterfell, Casterly Rock, Kings Landing, Harrenhal castles. It will never happen in a billion years, but a geek can dream right?
  • LegofanscottLegofanscott Member Posts: 622
    My dream world... An adult theme.

A Song of Ice and Fire (Game of Thrones) - Baratheon, Lannister, Martell, Tyrell battle packs. Winterfell, Casterly Rock, Kings Landing, Harrenhal castles. It will never happen in a billion years, but a geek can dream right?
    Not a trilogy but id love to see a proper universal monsters theme as i love classic monsters

Dracula, frankenstein Wolfman creature from the black lagoon Jekyl and Hyde, invisible man, ahhhhh if only! :)

Yes MF is sort of similar but will never be as good as a proper universal monsters theme
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    please not Dr Who. Small screen sci-fi is nearly always terrible, bad acting, awful sets, and then even worse special effects. I make an almost unwritten rule of not watching any tv sci-fi. It's stood me in good stead all these years.