Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

White part 87087 with odd color markings on one side

KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,815
I found a piece with some odd color markings on the side.

It's a white 1x1 brick with a side stud, part 87087. One of the sides has a black triangle in the lower left corner, and some black and bright light orange streaks along the bottom edge. Looking at the piece top down, and the side stud at the top, the marked side is to the right. Perhaps the black is another dark color.

Any idea how this happened and if it interests collectors? In general, whatever the hobby, I'm not interested in errors personally.

Sorry, I tried to take a picture and it didn't come out well - when I brought the camera close enough, the shadow from it and my arms darkened the picture too much.

I've bought dozens of #30401 Foam Pool Slide polybag from Target lately, and I didn't notice any other issues with any other pieces.

Comments

• DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 476
    Photos please near light
    KingAlanI
  • FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,541
    Yes, photos please.
    KingAlanI
  • spaceinvader1979spaceinvader1979 Barcelona - CataloniaMember Posts: 48
    photos please
    KingAlanI
  • KingAlanIKingAlanI Rochester, NYMember Posts: 1,815
    darnit I forgot about this. at least I found the part in question.
    I initially didn't scan it since it's not flat but it scanned better than it photographed:
    http://www.mediafire.com/view/eayxtz63v97d17u/White 87087 with odd color markings on side.png

• bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    It's smudging. Very common for larger parts like panels, where in new sets, some parts are very tightly rubbed against other parts for a long period of time during shipping, this makes the plastic from other parts rub its colour onto it. 

There is the possibility that you will get a marbled part (a pellet of plastic from another colour somehow gets mixed in with the white pellets), but it would affect the entire piece, not one corner of one side.

KingAlanI
    @bobabricks I thought it might've been transfer from other parts. I knew TLG quality control would make marbling quite unlikely.
    KingAlanI said:
    @bobabricks I thought it might've been transfer from other parts. I knew TLG quality control would make marbling quite unlikely.
    Marbling is unlikely, but it does happen and some of those parts can become quite collectible. It's the same as misprinted parts.

KingAlanI
    @bobabricks
    but color transfer isn't particularly collectible? still might hold onto it as something cool.
    There is bright light orange and dark bluish gray in that set, and a black rubber hairpiece; I'm not sure if that would make color transfer more or less likely.
    I'm not sure how collectible that stuff is because it is more damage than production error. I would say that the black hair would have rubbed off for sure and the colours make sense.
    KingAlanI
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,204
    Damage like that isn't really collectable, since it is easy to fake such damage. The same with unprinted parts. Whereas misprinted is much harder to fake, especially if it is good misprinting and not just bad printing.
    KingAlanI
    happens with coins too, some cool errors aren't worth much because they're too easy to simulate