Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

How quickly do the D2C sets sell-out?

NaptownMVPNaptownMVP Indianapolis Member Posts: 15
Thinking about getting the new Minecraft set, but July 1st-3rd is 2x points. So wanting to wait, but don't want to miss it totally!

Comments

• LusiferSamLusiferSam MontanaMember Posts: 463
    Large sets like new Minecraft Mountain Cave normally don't sell out that fast.  Last year's D2C Minecraft set, The Village, is still available.  It may get backordered if there is an initial rust on it, but won't be sold out.
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,942
    Unless you know how many sets TLG are going to make, and how popular it's going to be, nobody can really answer that.

All sets are different.
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    You will be fine waiting for that one.
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,099
    There's roughly 3 possible scenarios for Lego sets, including D2C:
    1. Most likely: A set is uninterrupted available until it retires in 6-36 months.
    2. Exceptional: The first batch(es) of a set quickly sell out after release. A few weeks/months later supply and demand reach a balance and the set is uninterrupted available until it retires in 6-36 months. An example is last year's #71040 Disney Castle; difficult to get the first few months in the US (but not elsewhere), and then consistently available.
    3. Almost never happens: Blink and you miss it. #41999 4x4 Crawler comes to mind.
    Last year's Minecraft D2C #21128 The Village has to my knowledge never been out of stock since its release. It almost never pays off to panic-buy a Lego set at release (I didn't buy #21309 Saturn V yet), and I'd wager #21137 The Mountain Cave will be scenario 1.

The usual caveats of
    • Who knows what random shenanigans TLG will pull off
    • I'm just a random person on the internet
    of course still apply.
    Bumblepantsbandit778sid3windrKerreSumoLegoricecake
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,197
    stlux said:

1. Almost never happens: Blink and you miss it. #41999 4x4 Crawler comes to mind.

That was purposely limited by LEGO and they made that clear before it went on sale.
    stlux
    CCC said:
    stlux said:

1. Almost never happens: Blink and you miss it. #41999 4x4 Crawler comes to mind.

That was purposely limited by LEGO and they made that clear before it went on sale.
    Exactly. These edge cases of "blink and you miss it" are so exceptional and usually well advertised that it's unreasonable to think this would apply to a general D2C release like #21137 The Mountain Cave.
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,351
    Throwing caution to the wind regarding my "street cred", can someone please help me understand what "D2C" stands for?

No worries @Switchfoot55, you're not the first to ask ;)

http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/24640/d2c-a-question 
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,351
    ^Perfect. Thanks @stlux!
  • herbyderbyherbyderby CaliforniaMember Posts: 53
    #21128 The Village is a bit of a special case. It is obviously overpriced and my local Lego store employees said their inventory room is practically wallpapered with excess Village stock (I bought it anyway). I wouldn't expect Mountain Cave to stick around quite as long but there's very likely no need to rush.