Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Why do you buy particular sets?

JudgeguyJudgeguy ScotlandMember Posts: 15
There are a great number of attractions to Lego. Some people buy sets for their kids, some for the minifigures and some just because they want the parts. Additionally, some people are selective about which sets they buy because they either can't afford to buy all the ones they want or are trying to hold back on buying Lego.
Personally I buy sets for the particular vehicle or building portrayed in the set. Occasionally I buy a set for a specific minifig but only cheaper sets.

What I'd like to know is; what are the things that factor into your decision to buy each set?

Comments

• FowlerBricksFowlerBricks USAMember Posts: 1,536
    Sometimes it's for the minifigures and sometimes it's for the builds. It depends on the theme.
  • YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    First and foremost, I'm a minifig guy. But I have been much better lately about not buying full sets I don't want just for 1 minifig in it. But the overall minifig selection is big for me.

Then it comes to utility I suppose. It has to fit into what I want. A great set that I have no use for in my collection doesn't warrant a purchase just because it's great looking. For instance, I'm not into Star Wars Rebels, so I haven't bought any despite some cool ships and/or minifigs. 

Parts only come into factor for me when it's a substantial sale. If I'm paying full price, it goes way beyond parts. I only buy sets as parts packs if I can save some serious money. Otherwise, I'd rather hunt for the parts I need on PAB or BL. 

City wipes the minifig part out though. That's solely if it fits into my City layout. Or better yet, the idea of what my layout will one day be. 
    SumoLegoFowlerBricks
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,374
    Judgeguy said:
    Why do you buy particular sets?

Because I like them.
    Yodaliciousdatsunrobbiesid3windrstluxgmonkey76MegtheCatDedgecko
  • Switchfoot55Switchfoot55 The Northwest, USAMember Posts: 1,351
    I'm not sure what causes it to happen, but there are certain sets that I just become attached to in my mind when I first see them. Compared to the majority here, I don't buy Lego very often as I have a limited brick-budget. However, when I do buy, it tends to be one that caught my attention at some point because of the visual appeal.

But, to @Paperballpark 's point, I tend to buy something because I like it. 
    Yodalicious
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644

usually I buy for the vehicle/building. being heavy into star wars, and into cars the main build has to be good. along with that when looking at star wars is the Minifigures, often not as important to me but can sway a set from "nice but I don't really need it" too "Ooh (insert uncommon star wars character) is in this set, and the build looks good, i'll get it"

continuing from above, it's all about perceived value VS perceived appeal. no real measurable is used on most purchases. (I do some times buy for parts only in that case it's usually an on sale set and the price per part is very good. 5 cents per piece range)

• natro220natro220 USAMember Posts: 540

Honestly, I am getting pretty burned out on most new sets coming out.  I pretty much only get original trilogy SW, and I have enough Hoth, A-Wing X-Wing B-Wing whatever wing ships.  If they come out with some awesome Cloud City, Dagobah, or other seldom produced material, I'll likely bite.  I feel like I have all the minifigures I need from the series as well.

Most other current themes don't appeal to me - Nexo Knights, Ninjago, Minecraft... the big D2C sets just released are of course awesome, but it's hard to come up with the money for them.

I've begun focusing on obtaining classic (80's and early 90's) sets, mostly due to nostalgia reasons.  Classic Space, Blacktron and Futuron are my current targets mostly.

• CommanderJigglypuffCommanderJigglypuff NetherlandsMember Posts: 63
    I used to buy sets to complete the theme, but that is probably one of the most 'dumb' reasons as you practically buy stuff just to have it. So I had all the Superhero sets (Marvel and DC) but realised I didn't even like 80-90% of them..

So I had to revisit my choices and decided to expand my SW collection and don't care for other themes anymore as they usually have lackluster builds (normal sets, not D2C, Modulars, some sets). I have to say I'm really impressed by the Ninjago Movie sets and I would like to have a non-licensed Lego theme, so I don't know what I'll do when those come out. 

But I have to say this gives me so much more ease as I can spend all the money on 1 theme and even buy multiples of particular sets. 
  • beabea Member Posts: 227
    I prefer buildings so I mostly buy creator + creator expert sets or sets from other themes that have a relatively substantial building. I don't care about vehicles, minifigures and most licensed themes. I'm not a completionist either.

Another reason I buy sets is childhood nostalgia. If I feel like young me would have loved the set, I will often end up buying it. I own a few elves sets for this reason.
    catwrangler
  • gmonkey76gmonkey76 ChicagoMember Posts: 1,381
    Because I want it.
    BumblepantsMoneyHypeMikeFowlerBricks