Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

At what point did you realize you had to get selective?

124»

Comments

• TheBrickTankTheBrickTank NetherlandsMember Posts: 49
    I don't know any better than to be selective. Growing up, in my area Lego sets were scarce and expensive. I moved between the mid 90's Town and Space themes but could never quite collect whole sets, until the original wave of 5 Star Wars sets came out in 1999. I got all 5 of those. And with that, I didn't buy Lego again until 2013. At this point, I decided to focus only on Star Wars at first, but about 3 or 4 sets in I noticed there wasn't much choice for me that I actually liked. 

At some point I bought a city set that included a building. By this time, I got all my old Lego sets from my parents' house including roadplates. I soon discovered Creator with all the buildings. Eversince I've been buying mostly sets that can add to a small city layout. If it's not useful, I don't buy it, unless it's such a unique or awesome model, that I know I will regret not buying it, like the Nasa Saturn V shuttle or Voltron sets. 

So I'm still selective today as I have always been!
  • M1J0EM1J0E Calgary, ABMember Posts: 447
    Pretty much day 1 for me.  I wish I’d been a little less selective now & purchased a couple more then.  But coming out of my dark ages even a >500pc set seemed ‘large’.  Loved the architecture (& still do) of #4440, and really the whole forest police range was one of the better ones they’ve done.  Thought I could collect the whole series, and I do have most of them, but I knew I had no interest in a giant helicopter.  Which is probably about when i realized if I was to do a completionist strategy of anything, it would be a sacrifice of what I might want to purchase from other themes.  
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,732
    klinton said:
    I think I've always been rather selective about Lego? Barring very rare occasions where there's a theme I'm particularly excited about, I only buy sets one or two at a time, and only when I intend to sit down and build them that day. I have no frame of reference to comprehend the massive backlogs many collectors go on about. I've very rarely ever bought a set 'just because' (it was on sale/ the one I wanted was sold out/ ect.), and stick pretty closely to my established want list. I don't imagine I'll ever reach a point where I feel the need to change my collecting habits, as I've never acquired a set that I didn't love before making the purchase, or that didn't compliment my existing collection. 
    This post made me decide to just go ahead and build the set I got today, so thanks for that. :)
    LEGOFan2klintonLittleLorisid3windrOrmskirkBricks
  • klintonklinton CanadaMember Posts: 478
    This post made me decide to just go ahead and build the set I got today, so thanks for that. :)
    Right? I just like to build them. I don't know that I could just buy a set to 'have' it and never experience the build. I don't actively play with toys and figurines anymore, acting out scenarios and such (I've long ago forgotten how and I've no children to remind me, hahaha), which is why I love Lego. If I feel the need to 'play' with my favorite superheroes or whatever, I just pull out sets from that theme and set to building. It's cathartic. :D
    LittleLoriLEGOFan2MegtheCat560Heliportcatwrangler
  • 560Heliport560Heliport Twin Cities, MN, USAMember Posts: 807
    Oh, I never play with what I've built... I don't swoosh air/spacecraft around, launch missiles, none of that- I'm an adult. ;)
    M1J0EpxchrisklintonSumoLegoMCNwakeboardOldfanPolyphemus
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    $17000! I just put together a basketball card set for $1500. Wife was surprisingly cool about it. Maybe because it WASN'T Lego for once. 
    1986 Fleer?
  • awahl211awahl211 Boston, MAMember Posts: 6
    Definitely when I checked my credit card spending after the first few months of coming out of the dark ages in January 2017. (Unfortunately) I ski every weekend in the winter and fish and golf in the summer and also own a dog, so a good chunk of my spending budget goes to those activities. I still buy every set I really want, but have been getting more selective on small city sets and themes I don't really collect.
  • SteveGSteveG TNMember Posts: 22
    I got selective on August 16th, 1987. Just happens to coincide with the day I got married. Then the leash was taken off in the late 90s when I had a comic book / game / toy store for a while. went back on leash when we sold that and now I am very selective simply because I have a lot of more expensive hobbies these days. My Brickheadz collection will be complete (the ones I want) next month and then I'll go back to flea marketing pieces and parts and the random set I just can't live without. 

SumoLego
  • Bosstone100Bosstone100 USAMember Posts: 1,392
    $17000! I just put together a basketball card set for $1500. Wife was surprisingly cool about it. Maybe because it WASN'T Lego for once. 
    1986 Fleer?
    1983-84 Star actually.  It was a fun ride but it's the last set I'll put together like that.