Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Mosaic Coating

365vacay365vacay AtlantaMember Posts: 1
I currently create mosaic art pieces, using methyl ethyl ketone to affix the pieces to a base plate.

Does anyone use a coating on top of the bricks? If so, I would love to hear more about it.

catwrangler

Comments

• elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    Man, I wouldn't glue or coat.  To each his own I guess
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    I've not coated my mosaics, but I agree with gluing them. Is that 64 wide X 64 high? I really like it.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,171
    Methyl ethyl ketone isn't even glue; it's a solvent that, I assume, fuses the pieces together just like in PVC plumbing. Gotta be real sure you don't want to ever disassemble it.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,084

I think any coating will look messy and unprofessional especially if you are using plates verses tiles. I paid $120.00 to get this professionally done at my local frame shop and I don't have to worry about it collecting dust or pieces popping off. It's 64x64. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 17,315
    Do you guys have problems with bits falling off? I've had a 48x48 on display for about two years (all plates, biggest piece is 2x4) and nothing has ever fallen off and it is quick and easy to dust with a "feather"* (*synthetic) duster.

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,943
    I've never tried it, but I would have thought that a Vallejo acrylic matt varnish applied with an airbrush could be quite good. But why?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,222

CCC said:

Do you guys have problems with bits falling off?

Surprisingly yes. I suspect that the problem could be remedied by swapping out the baseplate, though, or maybe a few of the loose 1 x 1 plates.