Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Mosaic Coating

365vacay365vacay AtlantaMember Posts: 1
I currently create mosaic art pieces, using methyl ethyl ketone to affix the pieces to a base plate.

Does anyone use a coating on top of the bricks? If so, I would love to hear more about it.

catwrangler

Comments

• elspankdogelspankdog TexasMember Posts: 403
    Man, I wouldn't glue or coat.  To each his own I guess
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 857
    I've not coated my mosaics, but I agree with gluing them. Is that 64 wide X 64 high? I really like it.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,542
    Methyl ethyl ketone isn't even glue; it's a solvent that, I assume, fuses the pieces together just like in PVC plumbing. Gotta be real sure you don't want to ever disassemble it.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,094

I think any coating will look messy and unprofessional especially if you are using plates verses tiles. I paid $120.00 to get this professionally done at my local frame shop and I don't have to worry about it collecting dust or pieces popping off. It's 64x64. 
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,018
    Do you guys have problems with bits falling off? I've had a 48x48 on display for about two years (all plates, biggest piece is 2x4) and nothing has ever fallen off and it is quick and easy to dust with a "feather"* (*synthetic) duster.

• paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,957
    I've never tried it, but I would have thought that a Vallejo acrylic matt varnish applied with an airbrush could be quite good. But why?
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,315

CCC said:

Do you guys have problems with bits falling off?

Surprisingly yes. I suspect that the problem could be remedied by swapping out the baseplate, though, or maybe a few of the loose 1 x 1 plates.