Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

When will the LEGO [email protected] Christmas Sale Begin?

Comments

• bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 716
    ^ you need to see the product page to see the discount - or just switch to a different country to see the deals
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
    ^^ you have to go to each item to see reduced price
  • bricknationbricknation Member Posts: 716
    edited December 2011
    looks like I have more and bigger discounts in my ebay store.
  • Jabba_the_TaffJabba_the_Taff Member Posts: 215
    @DrDave You have to go to the set's particular page.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,742
    Thanks guys. How rubbish is that ?!
  • richoricho Member Posts: 3,830
    I did use some points and also 7% Quidco to get Tantive IV, that works out around £80. I think that's the best of a pretty average bunch in the end.
    Still not incredible though.

Lets see what TRU uk do.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    @drdavewatford - I've seen this too - if you put it in your basket, the discount comes up. But that relies on you knowing what to select... ?! (thanks to @sidersdd!)

As predicted, quite a bit of what's on that list is no longer on [email protected]
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
    Yes, all a bit half hearted IMO

Time for sleep I think!!!
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    The interesting thing is that TLG does not appear to be discounting the sets that are already sold out like they did with GG last year. So if there are any Dropships, IFs, or ENs floating around out there, it does not appear as though there is any hope of picking them up for a song.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,245
    I just went back and checked last year and it turns out that my big haul was indeed from 12/26 and not New Years as I had initially thought. That being said, we bought a ton at 50% Off at the store so I for one will still be visiting mine tomorrow, no matter how paltry the online offering seems.

Worst case scenario, we get to visit the LEGO Store. Best case scenario, we find good deals on remaining AC, PQ, PotC, Kingdoms and Atlantis sets.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 10,477
    ^ I guess it is good for those needing special parts ( that is also for those who have LEGO stores that happen to actually have these sets)

If there is a new years sale I certainly hope it is like this otherwise I have to takeover my friends PC to try to do orders when I am at his house for the party......lol
  • choob99choob99 Member Posts: 147
    My nearest LEGO store is 4 hours away, and I won't be able to make it there until Thursday, hopefully some good things will still be left by then
    Actually I just checked to make sure I was correct and there is a LEGO store in OH that is only 2 and a half hours from me, so I may be making a trip tomorrow! I have to be at my local hallmark at 7am but after that my day is wide open!
  • rocaorocao Administrator Posts: 4,290
    edited December 2011
    I just went back and checked last year and it turns out that my big haul was indeed from 12/26 and not New Years as I had initially thought. That being said, we bought a ton at 50% Off at the store so I for one will still be visiting mine tomorrow, no matter how paltry the online offering seems.
    Most of my purchases during last year's clearance were also on 12/26, with the majority of sets starting off with a 50% discount. The sets that survived the initial few days eventually dropped down to the 75% off level around the end of the year and into the new year. Just to clarify, they were further reductions and not a separate sale event.

This year the 50% off sets are sparse, and the majority are at 20% and 30% off, which doesn't trigger the "buy everything, ask questions later" approach for me. Instead I think it will be a week or longer vigil until they do hit 50% off or more.

• thecleatorthecleator Member Posts: 70
    So will the new Joust sets be released at midnight? Im seeing them now with an availabilty of tomorrow
  • 12651265 The Great State of TexasMember Posts: 1,091
    It's a smart move by LEGO to not discount at 50%. They know that most of those 50% sets are purchased by resellers and will be gone within hours and/or day. Being offered at a lower percentage allows many to purchase at a discount, thus satisfying more than a few.
    ^ I don't feel that is TLG's logic. It is a clearance sale to clear stock for next year's inventory; it is not a promotion where the more people it reaches is necessarily better.

Instead, the logic is more likely: if we can move a good amount of the sets with a smaller discount, let's do it. If it doesn't move, we'll just drop it further.

Though I don't think TLG is taking this into account, it actually indirectly benefits them if resellers purchase the clearance sets and then sell them at slight markup because it helps preserves the perceived cost of LEGO with the general public.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    ^^ Why is preventing resellers buying up their excessive sets good for LEGO's business? I don't believe the reason that LEGO isn't doing 50% off this year is to ward off resellers. It's more likely that they have managed their inventory better this year, and there's no need for them to use deep discounts to move things.
  • Pacific493Pacific493 Member Posts: 379
    ^ I don't feel that is TLG's logic. It is a clearance sale to clear stock for next year's inventory; it is not a promotion where the more people it reaches is necessarily better.

Instead, the logic is more likely: if we can move a good amount of the sets with a smaller discount, let's do it. If it doesn't move, we'll just drop it further.

Though I don't think TLG is taking this into account, it actually indirectly benefits them if resellers purchase the clearance sets and then sell them at slight markup because it helps preserves the perceived cost of LEGO with the general public.
    IMHO, TLG is not discounting as steeply this year because they don't have to...they have managed their inventory more effectively and, as a result, aren't sitting on as many sets that they need to clear out. A company that makes as much money as TLG is going to be sophisticated enough to know what effect a certain sales percentage will have on its sales patterns and, as a result, any clearance sales that it does offer is going to be a reflection of what it needs to accomplish in terms of its inventory...a broad sale with a deep discount (like last year) is indicative of massive overstocking and the need to move a large quantity of product in a short amount of time...a more narrow sale with a less significant discount (like this year) is indicative of better inventory management and the need to move less product.

Although I do agree that TLG benefits from the resale of its product on a secondary market, I disagree that it benefits TLG to discount its products as deeply as last year. TLG is a premium product and is viewed that way in the marketplace...TLG benefits when its products command a premium to MSRP in the secondary market and deep discounts like last year harm that by allowing resellers to sell sets below MSRP and still make a profit. Think about this way...TLG is going to sell a lot more modular sets to resellers if the EOL modulars continue to command 2x-3x MSRP on the secondary market within 6-9 months of retirement because of the perceived investment value of those sets. If TLG began routinely discounting them 50% just before retirement, TLG would get fewer reseller purchases because the secondary market price would be depressed by the flood of cheaper sets at EOL.

It makes more sense in every way for TLG to produce just slightly more inventory than the market demands and then sell any excess at very shallow discounts at EOL...that protects TLG's profit margin on every set sold and ensures that the perceived value of Lego stays high by protecting the product price on the secondary market...at least that's my opinion of the situation.

edited December 2011
    ^
    You logic affirms with what I already stated. By keeping discounts lower, allows more to purchase and enjoy than just a few.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    @1265 - yes, but the reason behind it isn't the same. Lego isn't as concerned about allowing "more people" to purchase and enjoy, they are concerned about their profit margins and protecting the image of their product.

Those are two different goals.
    ^^
    By keeping discounts lower for a greater period time does allow more folks to purchase and in turn allows more profit. We know those 50% items sell out quickly, and a vast amount go to resellers. Only makes sense to keep items at a lesser percentage for a week or two, thus satisfying both the consumer and TLG.
    I respectfully disagree that a "vast" amount go to resellers, and we certainly don't know it.
    I suspect far less of it ends up at resellers than we all seem to think, there are millions of people who buy Lego, only a few of whom are resellers...

But for sure some of it does. Lego is a big company, do you really think they sit around and worry about us?
  • The_Brick_BuilderThe_Brick_Builder Member Posts: 658
    Starting in 2min, my heart is pounding!
    It is now 2 minutes until midnight, EST... :)
    Ha, beat me too it by seconds... ;)
    1min!
  • forumreaderforumreader Member Posts: 97
    If the list I saw was correct, the online deals will be fairly disappointing. Good luck to those running around the morning of the 26th in store, though.
    Seeing LEGO's site start to crawl when refreshing...
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    edited December 2011
    Heh-heh, toysnbricks got hammered. Site down. Everybody refreshing at midnight or something. Waiting for Ice's list.
    I am not able to see the deals
  • starfire2starfire2 Phoenix AZMember Posts: 1,329
    me either
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    Deals are uninspiring to say the least. Oh well will get some much needed sleep Monday am. Black Friday is where the real deals where at.
    nothing yet... ;)
    I don't see anything either
    Not surprised... the sale does not always start at the stroke of 12am EDT
    Come on TLG, I stayed up the whole night waiting! I have work tomorrow!
    Hey - get yer Zurg for only $5.98.
    Wow, even 10215 isn't 50% off, and I picked up 5 of those from Amazon last week at $54.99 with free shipping and no tax...

Wow...
    The sales page isn't updated...
  • doriansdaddoriansdad CTCMember Posts: 1,337
    When Belleville are the only tempting sets I know its time to close my wallet for the night lol.
    Zurg for $5.98? That is a heck of a price... I guess... :)
    Winter Village Post Office for $55.98. That's good. Only place you can get it - right now anyway.
    So now we know what the 74% off ITEM was... (note there is no "s" there)
    Still nothing appearing..
    Anyone else seeing the sale yet?
    still nothing.....
    Is TLG fooling us this time?
    You gotta click on the actual item to see the price.