Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Best way to sort bulk Legos from others, new collector here

bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 25
I know, I know, this topic has probably been posted thousands of times before but the search feature here is a tad lacking with the keywords I used.  

Basically what is the easiest way people have found to sort bulk lots of legos that are mixed with mega bloks, knex, etc?  I bought a box of like 25 pounds of Legos and its taking forever to sort though them.  Any suggestions?  My eyes go crazy after a while of looking for the logos or copyrights.  At least I can pretty much tell the difference between a real lego brick and a mega blok due to the quality of the bricks after doing so much sorting so far.  :)  

Comments

• UberbrickUberbrick OregonMember Posts: 83
    Inspecting the logos and quality of plastic is probably your best bet. Another solution that I use is to look for parts with an extremely unusual shape or color. I can usually recognize off-brand parts simply by doing that. I got better at this after sorting thousands upon thousands of pieces not too long ago. Hope that helps a bit :)
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,828
    And if you haven't already, stick on a podcast or a movie in the background - when I do a lot of sorting I like to marathon a TV show to stop myself going mad! I always know the sorting session has been long enough when I balk at the thought of another episode...
    Uberbrickprevere
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 25
    Thanks people. Why oh why did the patent have to run out?  Would be so much easier if the clones just didn't exist. :-)  
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,533
    Here's a "classic" guide to sorting and storage. Some folks here have tried every method listed.  

http://news.lugnet.com/storage/?n=70

My most recent tactic has been to start with partially-assembled sets in the lot. I pull out parts to build sets I can identify and store them in bags or boxes. Loose parts get separated into categories like bricks, plates, wheels, slopes, minifigs, and "other", which get broken down further when a tub gets full. 

• masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 498

bobotech said:

Thanks people. Why oh why did the patent have to run out?  Would be so much easier if the clones just didn't exist. :-)  

even if it would still exist some copycats would still try to steal a slice of the pie... (some non-basic-brick parts are still a no-go for the clones but they still try to do it (see L***N-issue (name intentionally redacted, i won't make a unredacted mention for google to find  (and sorry for all those parentheses nested (programmers habit...)))))
    sid3windr
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 25

bobotech said:

even if it would still exist some copycats would still try to steal a slice of the pie... (some non-basic-brick parts are still a no-go for the clones but they still try to do it (see L***N-issue (name intentionally redacted, i won't make a unredacted mention for google to find  (and sorry for all those parentheses nested (programmers habit...)))))

Sent you a PM regarding the L***N issue.  I'm curious.  :) 

• Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    *** = EPI
    bobotech
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 498
    ^ already explained that via PM that google won't put into its index :P
    bobotech