Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Doubling /Completing The Tower Of Orthanc. Assistance Please

VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
So yes, I've set out to give the Tower a 360 degree and am hoping 2 sets combined will do just that .  I'm not much of a MOC'ist and am utterly clueless.
I'm half way through the first tower and so far building it as it is. I'm looking to make the modifications to the second one to fit in a closed position. 
Has anyone done this ? Photos, anything would be helpful. I notice the base is protruding out and that maybe the first problem to have the two close upon each other. 
Looking forward to so assistance from the men of intelligence to help me on my mission ...quest ... errr...thing : )

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    I have no advice to offer other than I know I have seen others do it so pictures should be on the internet someplace. Would be cool if you joined it with hinge bricks so it can open up like the haunted house.
    Vortex
  • VortexVortex Pakistan/USMember Posts: 342
    Yeah I had hinges on my wishful list , though I'd be content with a more humble merging too.
    I looked up for videos and photos .. either I'm poor with search words or something but I've not found anything other than ppl talking about doubling it 
    @Bumblepants thanks!
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    edited April 2017
    @BooTheMightyHamster Many thanks .
    This looks really good . I wish there were some more photos of the modified back with emphasis on the side angles but this certainly is helpful .
    I can't tell if the back side is exactly as deep as the original front .
    I'll also keep searching for more such photos to get a better direction 
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    edited April 2017
    I've done it, admired it, then took it apart to add a third for more width and height.

Currently a WIP... I think I have pictures around somewhere of when I had just the 2 combined. 

EDIT:

Found!

Here's mine with 2 (atrocious picture): 
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/358616#Comment_358616

@Venunder with 3:
    http://bricksetforum.com/discussion/comment/337062#Comment_337062

While I'm working on 3, mine will be a bit different from Venunder's version.
    Vortexstlux
    @samiam391. This is inspiring stuff . Thank you for sharing it . As soon as I read " 3 sets " I started going "hmmm what if " and then i came rihhf back in a minute . That may be too time consuming at this point but I'm sure the results would be wonderful. 
    For now I'll also stick to the double up . Any chance you have any close ups or could point as to how you achieved the connection and the modifications needed ?
    Many thanks indeed !

Mission Report : On Course 
    kez
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,379
    For a moment I wondered what that wooden thing in the foreground was...
    BooTheMightyHamsterkezVortexBumblepantsbandit778ricecake
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,280
    ROFL!
    Vortex
  • nexandernexander Glasgow Member Posts: 865

For a moment I wondered what that wooden thing in the foreground was...

I did a double take too!
    Hey Come now get your mind out ofnybe gutter . I'm loving  the Orthanc but Its not that kinda love LOL :P
    edited April 2017
    @Paperballpark  The wooden thing ! ; )
    and here is where we are at the moment . I am absolutely in love with that granite carved chunky jagged base .
    Bumblepants
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    Not a tower idea but modding the second Ent into a different look would be fun. Plus you should have two spare 1x1 eye print tiles so you could possibly have three Ents running around at the base of the tower if you find enough spare brown parts in your collection.
    Vortex
  • samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,239
    Looks like you're going through the same building process that I did which was to build them side by side using the instruction manual as a guide. Great work so far!

@samiam391 Cheers . Seems like the trickiest bits are done.  I'm thoroughly enjoying it and hopefully will have it up by tommorow night. 

Would love to see your ×3 , where ever it's at .
  • NellyNelly Member Posts: 77
    edited April 2017

I could chime on in this, as I used the Eurobricks topic listed above (and pics from Missing Brick) as my guide. I made my own alterations as you may notice.

The idea was that instead of having it swing open via hinges, you would create a slide-in face that would by connected only by the pins at the bottom, and the very top plate of Orthanc. This means integrating a series of plates to allow the back side of Orthanc to slide into place when needed. This required altering the original Orthanc to allow to the modified side to fit.

I too was going to go the route of buying 2 sets, but found that there would be too many parts that would not be used, and a slew of other parts that would be needed to alter my desired look. So instead I bricklink'd the parts need for one side only.

And, it looks that in your progress photos, the Orthanc will be twice as wide on one dimension only. I think Orthanc has the same dimensions on all sides, but I don't recall.

One thing that I did change straightaway, which I think really improved the look of the tower, was to sub out all 45 degree slopes and swap with 75 degree slopes (though in pulling this down I see I missed a few). This really elongated the tower, and made the jagged rise seem less so.

GalactusLyichirVortexLegopantsbluedragon