Palace of Westminster

PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,445
edited April 2017 in Building and Techniques
First of all, apologies for the quality of the photos below, but this is what I've been working on for the past 5 months.

Almost as soon as the Big Ben set was released, I knew that the full Palace of Westminster needed to be done to the same scale. So I decided to do it, and I finished it a few days ago. It will be on public display for the first time at Bricktastic in Manchester, UK, on Sat 1 - Sun 2 July.

It took me a total of 234 hours to build (yes, I kept track), and about 20-30 hours beforehand to plan it out.

In total, it uses approximately 50,000 pieces. I opened a total of 10 Big Ben sets to build it (not including the set used for the Big Ben part of it), and I also placed 70 Bricklink orders to get extra pieces - over 11,000 extra pieces! That's in addition to using an estimated 6000 pieces from my own collection. I did have a lot of spare pieces left over from the Big Ben sets though.

The model itself splits into 6 main sections for transport, and you'll probably be able to spot the joins if you look closely, as my kitchen floor is not very level. It measures 177.6cm (70in) wide, by 100cm (39in) deep, by 70cm (27.5in) high.

More photos are available on my Flickr. If you want to see it 'in the brick', as it were, it will be at Bricktastic in Manchester, UK, on Sat 1 - Sun 2 July. As the show is organised by the charity Fairy Bricks, all proceeds from the show will go to them. I'd also like to say a big thank you to Kev from Fairy Bricks for his encouragement and support during the planning and building of this project. :)

If you have any questions I haven't covered above, just ask.

samiam391BooTheMightyHamstersukhLegoboySirKevbagsJenniadiemcCapnRex101PoochyherbyderbyReesesPiecesstluxMAGNINOMINISUMBRA77ncaachampsbobabricksRogerKirkRsa33HuwBumblepantsSeanTheCollectorLostInTranslationLegopantsiamterrybgl_84paul_mertongmonkey76WatfordScottyMpalmers9grbbluedragonJudgeChuckdatsunrobbiedrdavewatfordAustinPowersTheOriginalSimonBricecakemonkeyhangermonkey_roomaniaclegomentaldutchlegofan50mustang69TheFewGjedwardsBrikingbobotechTyresOFlahertysirrich69William_Townsleyiceplanet2222MaffyDColoradoBricksjasonord69aLego_StardavetheoxygenmanmessykoshkaomniumFauchbendybadgerInfinitymanthebeermonkeydspigelsnowhitiemsandersmartyncanon03PeteMIan_SSpeedman29klatu003hleonffuAddicted2OxygentomahawkerIstokgSwitchfoot55RonyarsklambTheLegoMaster35MattsWhatJern92GremerlentilCoviajm390GothamConstructionCocatwranglermadforLEGOkezJohnyk668nwr122GalactuskhmellymelRedMarkbrickedinstevecook132AdzbadboynuttamastabuildaKazJYLittleLoriSirBrickalotOfLego

Comments

• samiam391samiam391 A Log Cabin in KY, United StatesMember Posts: 4,258
    Wow... True beauty. Excellent creation @Paperballpark !
    PaperballparkTheFewmadforLEGO
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,293
    Wow.  Just... wow!

/applauds
    PaperballparkmadforLEGO
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 343
    Although I have never been to the UK to see the actual thing, I'm going to say that this model looks better than the real building. Awesome work! 
    PaperballparkmadforLEGO
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,731
    Holy!
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 986
    Really only one thing to say...

BillyBricks84SprinkleOtterTyresOFlahertyiceplanet2222snowhitienwr122madforLEGOnuttamastabuilda
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439
    edited April 2017
    That's awesome! But...

How do you get it off the floor in one piece?!
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark UKMember Posts: 3,445

That's awesome! But...

As I said in the post, it splits into 6 main sections.
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,439

That's awesome! But...

As I said in the post, it splits into 6 main sections.

I saw that but still! It appears to be very delicate!
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,467
    Holy cannoli Batman! It's gorgeous. Makes me want to go to Manchester in July. But can you still turn the hands on the clock faces?
    Paperballpark
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,194
    Looks awesome; looking forward to seeing it in the brick when I'm in Manchester on July 01! :)
    Paperballpark
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    How did you get your hands on 11 Big Bens?  Shop at home says limit 5!

It looks amazing.  That is some time investment.  I don't think I'm at Manchester but if you take it elsewhere in the UK let us know, would be awesome to see for real.
    Paperballpark
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Well done Jamie, it's incredible! Looking forward to seeing it up close in Manchester. 
    Paperballpark
  • LegopantsLegopants GermanyMember Posts: 1,985
    Ruddy hell! Roll on Bricktastic!!! :-)
    Paperballpark

Holy cannoli Batman! It's gorgeous. Makes me want to go to Manchester in July. But can you still turn the hands on the clock faces?

It's not possible using the dial at the back of the set, as that's now inside the extension.

luckyruss said:

How did you get your hands on 11 Big Bens?  Shop at home says limit 5!

It looks amazing.  That is some time investment.  I don't think I'm at Manchester but if you take it elsewhere in the UK let us know, would be awesome to see for real.

Well, I do have two LEGO stores near me :)
    77ncaachamps
  • WatfordScottyMWatfordScottyM Member Posts: 392
    I don't normally like large models of buildings, but that is incredible.  I love the Big Ben set anyway, but you've taken it to another level.  Out of interest, were you commissioned to build it or did you just decide to do it off your own back?

And are there plans for it after Bricktastic?  On display at the Palace of Westminster?
    Thanks! I decided to do it off my own back.

It'll probably go to a few other shows over the next couple of years. No other plans for it as yet.
    WatfordScottyM
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,095
    Wow, that is absolutely fantastic! Many congratulations on a fabulous piece of work.

:-)
    Paperballpark
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 701
    I applaud your patience..
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278
    edited April 2017

Absolutely smeggin' awesome!

I am building 10253 at the moment and even though it's a great set I can't think I could manage to build the equivalent of ten (or more) of them for one set piece.

I too applaud your patience - your fingers must surely be bleeding after all those 1x1 window bricks...

And that ever so slight angle on part of the buildings - great work man!

Paperballpark

your fingers must surely be bleeding after all those 1x1 window bricks...

Thanks! I found that the trick with the 1x1 bricks (and plates) is to put two of them on the side on a flat table, and push them together. That way, they're flat against the table when you join them, and it's easy to get them lined up.
    AustinPowersomniumsnowhitiecatwrangler
  • TheOriginalSimonBTheOriginalSimonB Felixstowe Member Posts: 1,306
    Bravo.
    Paperballpark
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 930
    So amazing. 
    Paperballpark
  • legomentallegomental UkMember Posts: 309
    That's is absolutely awesome! Fantastic bit of work and I really hope to get to see it. 
    Paperballpark
  • dutchlegofan50dutchlegofan50 Zwolle, NetherlandsMember Posts: 200
    I saw this on Reddit some hours ago and then I looked at the name and recognized you from Bricksetforum. Amazing work, really one of the best LEGO builds I ever saw. Speechless....
    Paperballpark

your fingers must surely be bleeding after all those 1x1 window bricks...

Thanks! I found that the trick with the 1x1 bricks (and plates) is to put two of them on the side on a flat table, and push them together. That way, they're flat against the table when you join them, and it's easy to get them lined up.

Funny. Actually that's exactly how I do it as well. It's the logical way to do it, of course, yet it is still a pain in the bum isn't it?
    ;-)
    Meh, I knew I had to do it (and I had to do it a lot), so I just got on and did it. :)
  • bobotechbobotech spokane, wa, usaMember Posts: 25
    Just phenomenal.  
    Paperballpark
  • TyresOFlahertyTyresOFlaherty USAMember Posts: 340
    Looks accurate to me, and I should know, I played Assassin's Creed: Syndicate. :)

Seriously though, that's amazing, fantastic work, @Paperballpark !!
    Paperballpark
  • iceplanet2222iceplanet2222 The Ice Planet (aka Lancashire, England)Member Posts: 3
    Impressive, most impressive. Admit it, this isn't a Lego model, it is the real thing shrunken down isn't it?
    BooTheMightyHamster
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    looks awesome. and makes me want to get big ben more. I suppose you are in london? you must have spent a lot of time around westminster taking notes and pictures?

Fauch said:

looks awesome. and makes me want to get big ben more. I suppose you are in london? you must have spent a lot of time around westminster taking notes and pictures?

No, I live near Manchester. I took a few photos around the exterior when I went down for a day last December, but that was it.
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,697

Wow this is amazon, I was planning on buying two and making about this much:

Not sure I need to brother posting it here now. :) 

OrmskirkBricks
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,291
    interesting auto correct here.
    rd1899BumblepantsSMCLegopantsOrmskirkBricks
  • SMCSMC UKMember Posts: 1,697
    edited April 2017

^ The autocorrect on my new phone is crazy, when its not changing words it's adding random ones banana, elephant, BMW.

Imagine if this were (on) amazon, how much word it cost?

• snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 2,853
    That is a-ma-zing. I've been gazing at the Flickr pictures. Absolutely love it.

My son's words: all the thumbs of everyone in the world up.
    PaperballparkstluxLego_StarcatwranglerBooTheMightyHamster
    edited April 2017
    Thanks! I should be getting some proper (professional) photos taken of it next week :)
    snowhitie
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,332
    Its incredible. You could of course never break it, just keep growing it. You could add Westminster Abbey, qe2 centre, Whitehall to downing street, even across the river and the London eye. 
    catwrangler
  • JudgeChuckJudgeChuck UKMember Posts: 1,095
    ^ Why stop there? There's all of Trafalgar Square, Leicester Square & Theatreland, Soho, The Strand, Buckingham Palace, The City, East-End, Canary Wharf and the rest of London to be added! Get to it @Paperballpark!

;-)
    OrmskirkBricks
    Pfft.
    JudgeChuckOrmskirkBricks
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 834
    edited April 2017
    This is just fantastic - it's what everyone who bought this set rather wished they were able to do!  I hope that it might come to STEAM in the Autumn if you display there :)

One thing I've always wanted to do but never really remembered is to stick some proper clock mechanisms into the tower so that it tells the time - I can't see it being that tricky to do overall so would love to see you do something similar with this!
    legomental
  • MrKettleMrKettle OxfordshireMember Posts: 136
    Incredible build, well designed and beautifully executed. 
    SeanTheCollector
  • SwisstonySwisstony Bucks,UKMember Posts: 28
    wow, just wow ! I am lucky enough to work in London and pass that nearly every other day as I whizz around the capital but you tend you go, oh theres big ben and theres houses of parliament etc, just normal everyday until you see it brought to life in Lego and then you think...wow !!
    you have managed to create a stunning masterpiece and hats off to you for the attention to detail. perfection I say 
    edited April 2017
    JudgeChuck: actually, I would love to see someone making a Buckingham Palace at the same scale.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 2,835
    I bet the missus asked how much it cost you to make - and you told her £150. :)
    TheLegoMaster35kezlegomentalOrmskirkBricks
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    For a split second I swear that was a Batman statue 5th pic down. and 2nd pic down in the professional pics above.

Excellent MOC!
    Paperballpark

I bet the missus asked how much it cost you to make - and you told her £150. :)

Unfortunately (or perhaps fortunately in this case) I'm currently single.
  • AstrobricksAstrobricks Minnesota, USMember Posts: 2,467

For a split second I swear that was a Batman statue 5th pic down. and 2nd pic down in the professional pics above.

Or Darth Vader. Black Adder perhaps?