Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

The Bendybadger Substitute Bonusball Bonanza 08 April 2017

stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,412
Another weekend, another edition of the Brickset Bonusball Bonanza!

However this is not a usual weekend: depending where you live this is the start of the Easter holidays!

For anybody not familiar with how this works, answer the question below and get a number based on your post in order between 1 and 59 for the UK national lottery bonus ball.  If your number gets drawn tonight you win the prize.

This week's prize is a #30203 Mini Golf poly. So, on to this week's question:

As a teenager, I didn't spend my Easter holiday assembling Lego sets, but instead playing games. My fondest memory is of Total Annihilation, a great multiplayer RTS. What game from your youth (for some here this is more recent than for others...) do you cherish the most?

Good luck!
LobotMAGNINOMINISUMBRASeijiAmasawabandit778SprinkleOtterSumoLegoGothamConstructionCoLego_StarSirBensnowhitieTheBigLegoskiricecake

Comments

• YodaliciousYodalicious DagobahMember Posts: 1,366
    Tecmo Super Bowl. I literally wore out the first cartridge I had of it and my parents had to get me a second copy.
    SumoLegoBumblepants
  • LobotLobot UKMember Posts: 1,002

The original Space Invaders in about 1981 - via an Apple II Europlus!

We virtually killed the 'J' button after a couple of years of intense battles!

• ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,421
    Worms - having two brothers things often got competitive 
    stluxLobot
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 530
    ^ same game (worms, for me the armageddon variant, friend and i often had funny matches, also banana bomb :P )
    ShibstluxLobot
  • TheOneVeyronianTheOneVeyronian Help me, I'm inside the M25! (UK)Member Posts: 1,372
    For me I can't pick just one, but I pick the original Spyro the Dragon trilogy on the original Playstation (if that doesn't scream Nineties child I don't know what will ha ha). I still have original copies of all three! I've played through them more times than I can even remember (sometimes I still play it out of nostalgia), though I must admit that to this day I still haven't been able to complete the second instalment of that trilogy to 100% (I could never beat that blasted hide and sneak challenge for the final orb I needed to open the bonus final area!). But I loved the purple dragon so much I even made an LDD sculpture of him a while ago: https://www.flickr.com/photos/theoneveyronian/22448949964/in/dateposted-public/

Close seconds would have to be (original) Crash Bandicoot and Rayman. I remember both of them fondly. I've never known a more difficult game than the original Rayman (though the first Crash Bandicoot isn't much easier!).
    Lego_Star
  • CoviCovi BelgiumMember Posts: 308
    Diablo1 and Command&Conquer...both had awesome story and they were ahead of their time with a new kind of game.
  • sukhsukh Member Posts: 142
    Risk seven hour marathons 
    GothamConstructionCo
  • eanaireanair IrelandMember Posts: 155
    We loved playing the Game of Life, Ghost Castle & Mouse Trap!  Gotta love board games!
    Lego_Starcatwrangler
  • carnage717carnage717 U.S.AMember Posts: 166
    Kaboom, Atari 2600, ruined so many controllers over that game
  • SeijiAmasawaSeijiAmasawa USMember Posts: 243
    As a kid my favorite board game was Mastermind and favorite video game was Super Mario Bros on NES (my first console).
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • theLEGOmantheLEGOman UKMember Posts: 1,525
    Supercars and Supercars 2.

Unlimited homing missiles cheat code.

When that magnetic fields music hit, good times.
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,829
    Standing in HMV every school lunch time (sometimes extending through the afternoon) playing Street Fighter 2 or Super Mario Kart.  Blanka and Toad were a winning duo against the other kids.
    catwranglerricecake
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,257
    edited April 2017
    Fondest memories are for the first computer game I had. It was called Colin the Cleaner and it came with the ZX Spectrum 128 that I had as a first computer. By todays standard it was utter crap but as my first ever game, I loved it.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Elite on the Commodore 64! Must have burnt up YEARS on that game.  A simpler time when tribbles were trumbles and we were trading in Latinum years before we knew what a Ferengi was! And yeah - I was ELITE - WITHOUT pokes!
     Thirty plus years later, I still get a little nostalgic every time I hear The Blue Danube...
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,751
    LEGO Racers 2. So many memories...
  • historymanhistoryman Member Posts: 377
    Aladdin on the mega drive
  • jimmyp1982jimmyp1982 Eastbourne, UKMember Posts: 62
    Days for me were lost to Championship Manager 
    Yodalicious
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,066
    edited April 2017

Tecmo Super Bowl. I literally wore out the first cartridge I had of it and my parents had to get me a second copy.

This, Super Mario Bros. and GoldenEye for N64.  Hours spent arguing who put a mine underneath the body armor.  (It was always me.)
    YodaliciousMAGNINOMINISUMBRASprinkleOttercatwranglerGothamConstructionCoricecake
  • TheLegoMaster35TheLegoMaster35 OH, USAMember Posts: 254
    Halo CE Anniversary. 
  • norm103norm103 Member Posts: 292

Wolfenstein 3D 

stluxSumoLegoSirBen
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,457
    There's plenty of those... as I was into computers pretty much from the beginning ;) Outrun still brings back a lot of happy memories. Arcade version obviously :)

Honourable mentions to Sonic on Master System, Stunts, Lotus 3 and Test Drive. Looks like I have a specific type of game as favourite doesn't it..
  • DaraghDaragh IrelandMember Posts: 363
    Warcraft, the early versions and later Age of Empires. 
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsid3windrstlux
  • paul_mertonpaul_merton UKMember Posts: 2,966
    Command & Conquer! Absolutely loved it.

Because I had the original DOS version and no internet connection, I was unable to download any patches to update it and fix the few bugs that were in the game.

Fortunately the bugs were not showstopper bugs, but rather ones that could assist the player. Fortunately I didn't find out about them until I'd competed it fair and square, but the two best ones were:

1. Build a guard tower and then sell it. If you quickly cancel the sale during the disassembly animation, you get to keep both the guard tower and the infantry that came out of it. Repeat ad infinitum until you have a massive army of free infantry!

2. Build a line of sandbags towards the enemy's base. You can only build them within range of other buildings, but in the original version, sandbags also counted. This would let you build remote guard towers practically anywhere on the map. If you sealed the entrance to the enemy's base up with sandbags, then their harvesters would not be able to leave in order to collect any tiberium. The enemy would then run out of funds while you had free rein over the rest of the map. Only in a later update did the enemy try to destroy sandbags that blocked their path.
    sid3windrstluxcatwranglerBumblepantsSumoLego
  • BoomDiggityBoomDiggity Member Posts: 107
    Capture the flag for sure.
  • MugenPowerMugenPower Member Posts: 549
    Xenogears.
  • eggsheneggshen Middleton, WIMember Posts: 585
    Advanced Dungeons and Dragons: Cloudy Mountain and Nightstalker for the Intellivision.

I used to go to my uncle's house to play them, he moved to California when I was around 8 or 9 and left the Intellivision with me "to take care of until he got back". He didn't move back until I was 25 and had already moved out of my hometown.

Playing those games reminded me of all the times he took me fishing, etc. Played the heck out of those games. At least until I got my sega Master System when I was 13 or 14. Then it was all Phantasy Star.
  • FuddruckusFuddruckus Member Posts: 37
    Trivial Pursuit, hands down.
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAsid3windr
  • cmrt1014cmrt1014 Member Posts: 396
    Parcheesi- haven't played in years...
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 355
    Video games? For multiplayer, Starcraft or Goldeneye and Mario Kart 64. Mario Kart 64 still holds up today with friends. Loser of a death match gives up the controller. Single player was usually Ocarina of Time. 

For board games, Risk was always a great way to spend 4-6 hours frustrated with everyone playing. Pointing out who was looking the safest and might just need to be attacked was what much of the conversations focused on. 
  • starwars4everstarwars4ever The Forest Moon of EndorMember Posts: 489
    Surprised no one has said this yet, but for me definitely classic Monopoly.
    sid3windr
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,890
    Very hard to call. I've got some wonderful memories of playing Super Mario Bros. 3 with friends, and later Super Mario 64...
    ricecake
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 781
    Tecmo Bowl, Super Mario Bros 2, and Mario Kart 64.
    SumoLego
  • woony2woony2 UKMember Posts: 336
    Thing on a spring on the Commodore 64
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAbandit778
  • SalamalexSalamalex UKMember Posts: 297
    I can't remember playing board games and I'm too old for computer games but we did play sevens every time my grandad 
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 585
    I have a lot of good memories playing the board game Speed Circuit with my family, with Empire Builder being a close second. Video games, Lords of the Realm took the crown.
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,635
    Fallout.
  • TheMaker37TheMaker37 Norfolk,VaMember Posts: 492
    Hadouken, hadouken, hadouken. You get it! SHORYUKEN!!
    catwranglereggshenSumoLegoricecake
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 453
    We used to play Stratego.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,011
    Resident Evil (the first 2) on PS1 - genuinely creepy games back then.
    eggshen
  • Toc13Toc13 Member Posts: 1,097
    GoldenEye & Perfect Dark multiplayer on the N64
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRAstluxcatwranglerSumoLegoricecake
  • legomattlegomatt Member Posts: 2,548
    To (loosely) quote David Mitchell in peep show, Anything with swords. If it's got swords in, I'm there. (Fighting Fantasy, role-playing games, etc).

Also board games. Escape from Atlantis, Ghost castle, Thunder Road. Etc.
    Toc13
  • adiemcadiemc UKMember Posts: 530
    Pacman on my Atari 2600
    messy
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,052
    Myst for me.

Thanks for hosting.
    SumoLego
  • Lego_StarLego_Star ... in a galaxy far, far away.Member Posts: 2,147
    edited April 2017
    Not really from my youth but feel compelled to put Rayman Raving Rabbids for the Wii here. Love those bunnies!

Loads of mini games hog racing, cow tossing, fill the bunnies scuba masks frantically with orange juice to prevent the rabbids from stopping you on the beach, speed draw vegetables for the bunnies to munch on, it was hilarious. The mini games themselves were funny enough but often surpassed by laughing at the exertions and exclamations of mates frantically waving, twirling and flicking the wii remote and nunchuck trying to master the level or beat each other in the head to head.

Never mind Wii sports, this was the game I bought the Wii for, it was a serious workout to boot.  :o) 
  • mr_bennmr_benn United KingdomMember Posts: 890
    Not quite from my youth, but the original Deus Ex on the PC.  Amazing.   If you want to go further back, Amiga games like Cannon Fodder and Speedball 2!
    MAGNINOMINISUMBRA
  • Speedman29Speedman29 UKMember Posts: 1,958
    My brother bought an Amiga 500 in the mid 80s and it came with FA-18 Interceptor and Batman (a tie in to the Tim Burton film) HE would play on it for hours with me watching and assisting and occasionally getting the controls!
    paul_mertonMAGNINOMINISUMBRAflord
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,558
    Never really was a gamer..... let's say the original lego star wars!
  • jmeninnojmeninno The Batcave (MA)Member Posts: 889
    Gotta be spyro on the ps1 (yes, I 100% them many times
  • TheBigLegoskiTheBigLegoski Amsterdam, NederlandMember Posts: 1,435
    Haven't played these in many many years, but these old fashioned board games: Monopoly and Risk were the first things that came to my mind....... Followed by all the arguments that so often arose when either people got caught cheating, or engaged in heated debates on the rules of the game etc.
  • devilheaddevilhead Member Posts: 282
    Duck Duck Goose