Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• monstblitzmonstblitz Hornell, NYMember Posts: 632
    I think this whole release date debate is a real good topic to play devil's advocate with.  I see both sides of it.  Certainly can't fault Lego for selling all they could to loyal VIPs wanting it on day one. 

On the other hand, October 1 is plastered all over the place.  We have seen evidence of VIPs in this forum who strategically planned to wait. 

Has this ever happened before?  Where VIP early release wiped out all stock and there was no stock available for the publicized release?

I imagine things might change after this.  If they anticipate all stock might sell out in early release they will probably hype and publicize the VIP release more and the "regular" release will be more of a footnote pending availability. 
    kbw
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    Has this ever happened before?  Where VIP early release wiped out all stock and there was no stock available for the publicized release?
    Don't remember if Saturn V had any sort of early release, but I'm still trying to track one of those down and it's been months at this point.  That does give me some concern for how quickly Lego can get on top of supply chain issues, now that I think about it...
    datsunrobbie
  • MattymanMattyman LondonMember Posts: 27
    Email to say it's just shipped. Amazing
    TyresOFlahertyMr_Cross
  • HanzoHanzo VAMember Posts: 607
    Is there a speculation thread about what the black VIP card will get us access to yet? Considering that's the only benefit (outside of having an awesome Lego set) you get buying this "early" I am hoping we're in for some pretty cool opportunities.
  • ceniackceniack Oklahoma CityMember Posts: 25
    Hanzo said:
    Is there a speculation thread about what the black VIP card will get us access to yet? Considering that's the only benefit (outside of having an awesome Lego set) you get buying this "early" I am hoping we're in for some pretty cool opportunities.
    I'm hoping battlepacks with the crews from the various movies.

i want a Nien Nunb minifig...
    Hanzogmonkey76Crzypengu
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,727
    While the Saturn V did not have an early release, it sold out opening day stock in just hours. I finally managed to order one online (from Amazon) 2 and a half months later, while it has been largely unavailable direct from LEGO.

There was quite a bit of hype for the VIP release date. I would expect any AFOL to realize that the first production run would sell out quick. The bigger question is whether or not the second production batch can cover all the back-orders and have some stock for the October 1 general release. What I don't understand is why somebody would wait until October when they could sign up for the VIP card and start being disappointed at the lack of availability now.

There's also the German website that claims #75192 will be coming to more stores in 2018, according to the Google translation:
    https://www.promobricks.de/lego-star-wars-ucs-millennium-falcon-75192-kommt-auch-in-den-fachhandel/41533

Anybody else waiting to catch this on clearance at Walmart or Target next year?
  • willp2003willp2003 Member Posts: 88
    @Mr_Cross
    Just got my shipping email. So maybe Sunday, but if not it should be Monday! 
    Mr_Cross
  • kbwkbw NCMember Posts: 413
    kbw said:
    SumoLego said:
    Hanzo said:
    Otherwise it should have been a VIP exclusive launch.
    What is the difference?  It takes minimal effort to become a VIP.
    Hanzo said:
    VIPs should have had access to X amount of sets and a pool should have been left for the public launch.
    I'm not sure how to react to this odd sense of entitlement.  I think a company would want to sell a potentially limited amount of product to loyal customers willing to provide valuable marketing information.  Or wait in lines at malls, or those that wake up at ridiculous times to view a faulty website.

And how would you differentiate a 'public' purchaser from a clandestine VIP purchaser that missed the initial VIP launch?  It's impossible or logistically silly.

And for those leaving ignorant 1-star reviews, reserve those ratings for truly terrible products like the Batman CMF display frame.  
    Just my $0.02, but they were hyping this as 10/01 release. You're right: takes no effort to be a VIP, but when everything on the website says 10/01 and they are tweeting out 10/01, I just thought they'd hold some back for that date.
    i don't know that I really care one way or another but was kinda surprised the official release might not have any availability. 
    I was not going to be a day one buyer, so I was not paying close attention, but didn't LEGO advertise the early release for VIP members on the website and in stores? I know they mentioned it on their Facebook page,and it was mentioned in a Brickset article on August 31. Did LEGO have any advertising for the set that did not mention the VIP early release?

At least it appears the majority of sets were sold to "civilians", unlike the recent Nintendo systems that got snapped up by employees at the retailers before they even hit the shelves. I imagine being a Leicester Square LEGO store employee who wanted one and had to watch 150 get sold would be the opposite of "chuffed" (unless there is a special sales channel for store employees).
    Oh they certainly announced it, but I recall most of the literature on the website, promotional videos on Twitter, the October Calendar, etc had 10/01. Again, im not complaining. They can do what they want. Just surprised that they potentially will have nothing on the "official" launch date.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    Don't remember if Saturn V had any sort of early release, but I'm still trying to track one of those down and it's been months at this point.  That does give me some concern for how quickly Lego can get on top of supply chain issues, now that I think about it...
    If you are interested, I have a sealed Saturn V sitting in my closet I will sell you at cost+shipping+PP fees.  ships from zip 97224
    datsunrobbie
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    nmualumni said:
    Look what the Fed Ex man left on my porch...glad I was only out running errands. 
    double boxed!  NICE
    TyresOFlahertyMr_Crossnmualumni
  • LaurenceESLaurenceES Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 33
    nmualumni said:
    Look what the Fed Ex man left on my porch...glad I was only out running errands. 
    If the entire batch all have the"Do not put on shelf before October 1st" sticker then it clearly shows someone at Lego has a sense of humour or really misjudged the popularity of this set.
  • AdeelZubairAdeelZubair London, UKMember Posts: 2,698
    Midnight Launch: #75192 - Millennium Falcon

It was a pleasure meeting both Jens Kronvold Frederiksen, Director of LEGO Star Wars & Michael Lee Stockwell, Designer Manager of LEGO Star Wars.

omniumcoachieAddicted2OxygenCM4SsnowhitieBrikingOldmanChudleyBengh_Zeran
  • Habitant99Habitant99 FloridaMember Posts: 99
    dougts said:
    If you are interested, I have a sealed Saturn V sitting in my closet I will sell you at cost+shipping+PP fees.  ships from zip 97224
    Thanks, really appreciate it.  I think with the Falcon points, I'll have nearly enough to get it free, if and only if it ever comes back in stock on [email protected]
    dougts
  • Mr_CrossMr_Cross East Anglia (UK)Member Posts: 1,523
    edited September 2017
    Mine shipped. Hooray! Very happy :-D

*Edit*
    Although I don't seem to have earned any VIP points for it as yet.
    willp2003Falinnomnium
  • FalinnFalinn UKMember Posts: 31
    Mr_Cross said:

*Edit*
    Cool! I haven't earned any VIP points either- and I still have the points I chose to use in the purchase. When it arrives(shipped yesterday) I'll email CS and see if they can sort it
  • MattymanMattyman LondonMember Posts: 27
    LikewiseFalinn said:
    Mr_Cross said:

*Edit*
    Cool! I haven't earned any VIP points either- and I still have the points I chose to use in the purchase. When it arrives(shipped yesterday) I'll email CS and see if they can sort it
    Likewise. No points added but it took points away I used to purchase. 
  • stetstet Member Posts: 45
    I wonder if other stores such as the non-official stores at Legoland and TRU are expecting any for 1 October.
    edited September 2017
    There is a post further up suggesting 2018 would be the earliest.  Not that it's relevant to your point I did learn from customer service today that the MF is due be produced for two years so there seems to be pleanty of time if you are not after any of the extras.  I am still debating giving up the search and trying next year on May 4th weekend.
  • Dfchang813Dfchang813 United StatesMember Posts: 69
    It's an interesting conundrum.  VIPs like myself who woke up at 5 am and spent hours to get a backordered Falcon will be pretty upset if we are kept waiting while the online store is re-stocked for the official 10/01 launch. But if ALL stock is now shunted to fulfill VIP backorders, the official release day becomes a joke. As absolutely amazing as it is to consider maybe Lego just underestimated the demand?  If stock is low and a decision has to be made I feel the right thing to do is to fulfill the backordered VIP orders.  These people went to the trouble of being VIP and battling the horrible online release. You made them a PROMISE to get a Lego set out to them as soon as stock is back and it would be wrong imo to hold on to stock that could be used to keep that promise for a later release date. You have to fulfill your obligations in the order you made them and Lego has an obligation to the VIP backordered customers first. 
    Mr_CrossOnebricktoomany
    I am baffled by their in store offerings.  October the 1st is a Sunday where they open their doors between 11 and 12am.  So why no invite only promotion for people who have shown an interest an hour before opening?  I was invited to one of these in 2016 for the UCS Hoth set but no one really wanted it and as I was first to the till with one I got the Space Slug set as a bonus.  As for online won't they just open it up to more back orders on the 1st while fulfilment would be in order of sale?

It also means people will need to decide upfront how they are going to purchase as if the set is not in store on the 1st they may not know until 11am by which time the website may be out of stock.  But I suppose you could try to order on the web and then try in store and cancel any back order if the shop has stock....
    omniumOnebricktoomany
  • M_BossM_Boss Houston, TexasMember Posts: 255
    Mattyman said:
    LikewiseFalinn said:
    Mr_Cross said:

*Edit*
    Likewise. No points added but it took points away I used to purchase. 
    My points were added.
  • Anth88Anth88 MidwestMember Posts: 33
    I think this whole release date debate is a real good topic to play devil's advocate with.  I see both sides of it.  Certainly can't fault Lego for selling all they could to loyal VIPs wanting it on day one. 

On the other hand, October 1 is plastered all over the place.  We have seen evidence of VIPs in this forum who strategically planned to wait. 

I imagine things might change after this.  If they anticipate all stock might sell out in early release they will probably hype and publicize the VIP release more and the "regular" release will be more of a footnote pending availability. 
    Those who "strategically" waited were kinda foolish imo. How could people NOT THINK this was gonna be sold out. It's the biggest set ever and has been wished for since the original. It's been anticipated for at least since January when rumors started. I don't buy much Lego but could see that it was gonna be a fiasco. Those who "strategically" waited please don't do it when it's available again. Because it WILL sell out again and probably won't be seen again for a long while. With Xmas getting close it's a guarantee we won't see it once the VIP sales are fullfilled and the stock that was meant to be Oct. 1 is offered. 
    omnium
  • sskmercer1sskmercer1 Brisbane, AustraliaMember Posts: 24
    zmarkella said:
    I have a question which i don't think i've seen around. When does Lego (if) release the instructions in PDF form. I generally prefer to build using my laptop/iPad then trying to fit/use a 500 page book taking up so much space on the build area.

Cheers
    I'm sure they'll release it - haven't seen a set that didn't have PDF instructions.
    I'd say sometime after the 'general' release date (01/10).

Ninjago City was released 01/09 to general public and the instructions were posted online on 03/09.
    Thanks for that. I would think they would but hoped for before the 1st Oct as I'll have the set either today or Monday. Also other that got released the other day Winter Station etc. already have their instructions up. I would hazzard a guess the delay is to try and make it harder for the 3rd party companies.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 14,519
    Mattyman said:
    I can't see the card as an investment. Collector value only. 
    If the 'Collector' value is £100.00, that would be an investment?
    omnium
  • JBricks27JBricks27 Member Posts: 678
    I have a feeling stores my receive a trickle stock until October 1 or LEGO may tell stores to hold their stock until October 1, I also beleive the website will not have any available to order until October 1. I remember this happening for other VIP early release sets.
    FollowsClosely
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,438
    The rep told me the freebies have already shipped to me. 
    Other than the black VIP card are you expecting anything else as a freebie?
    Unlike [email protected] EU, [email protected] US currently has a couple of GWP actions ( #30428 Green Ninja Mech Dragon, #5004933 Build to Learn and a TLNM poster).

So no worries, you're not missing out on some UCS MF-only freebies.
    LaurenceES
  • C0chiseC0chise TennesseeMember Posts: 47
    If the backorder stock becomes available in mid-October during double VIP points, will Lego give those orders double points?
  • steveomclsteveomcl Member Posts: 199
    C0chise said: 
    If the backorder stock becomes available in mid-October during double VIP points, will Lego give those orders double points?
    NO!
  • AwesomenessAwesomeness OhioMember Posts: 190
    The way I look at it is my order is currently waiting on new stock. So eventually I'll get one now, but I don't want to miss my black VIP card.
  • meandonlymemeandonlyme Member Posts: 16
    Will North Americans have to wait until everyone in the rest of the world have their orders fulfilled (at least, the ones who ordered between approximately 7:30am BST and 8:00am EDT) ?
  • mcmeadormcmeador USAMember Posts: 29
    edited September 2017
    Just got my shipping notification email 30 minutes ago. It shipped yesterday and is scheduled for delivery tomorrow lol. Woohoo!
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,366
    I just read on FB from someone who talked to some LEGO reps..

Stock is completely gone

Backorders will not be completely fulfilled til roughly November 8th so if you want Double VIP points on it you're probably out of luck.

DAMN it! 
  • dspigeldspigel Newport NewsMember Posts: 456
    CM4S said:

Stock is completely gone

Backorders will not be completely fulfilled til roughly November 8th so if you want Double VIP points on it you're probably out of luck.

DAMN it! 
    I know there's no way to answer this, but I wonder how many people bought this set for resale vs for a collection. I expected this set to be hard to get, but Nov 8th to fulfill current back orders blows my mind. 
  • Penkid11Penkid11 Member Posts: 789
    CM4S said:

Stock is completely gone

DAMN it! 
    There will be several windows of Double VIP points during it's lifetime.
    FollowsClosely
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,366
    Penkid11 said:
    CM4S said:

Stock is completely gone

DAMN it! 
    There will be several windows of Double VIP points during it's lifetime.
    Yeah I'm not waiting until 2018 to buy this
    Penkid11
  • flordflord CanadaMember Posts: 793
    I can wait until May the Fourth, if not later. Ideally, I would like double points when I buy it.
    Onebricktoomany
  • snowhitiesnowhitie BelgiumMember Posts: 3,060
    @Mattyman and @Falinn if you spend VIP points they go off imidiatly the adding of the VIP points is usually after it's been sent and give received an invoice. It can still take about 24 hours after. So I wouldn't worry. But if they don't come on, CS can check this easily and add them no problem.

Just remember that you don't get VIP points on the part that you paid with VIP points, e.g you spend 800 euro but used 100 in VIP, that means you will only get points on 700 euro.

Hope it will all get sorted.

Loving how many new people are on the forum now! Welcome all :)
    FalinnMr_CrossMaffyD

PaperballparkMr_CrossomniumOrmskirkBrickskbwSeanTheCollectorFollowsCloselyM_BossMynatt
  • PaperballparkPaperballpark Near ManchesterMember Posts: 4,173
    ^ c'mon man, you've had it for two days! ;)
    TyresOFlahertyMr_CrossFireheartAdeelZubairomniumOnebricktoomanyFollowsCloselyM_BossMynatt
  • AltairAltair FranceMember Posts: 52
    I ordered mine at 8.08 am on D-day and I received shipping confirmation yesterday. I still feel sorry for those who couldn't get one. Lego did a huge mistake allowing buyers to order up to 3 (in Europe at least). Of course speculators took advantage of it and it left many fans rightfully frustrated.
    omniumdspigelMr_Cross
    ^ c'mon man, you've had it for two days! ;)
    I've been occupied with other responsibilities plus I've just about got over the event such as standing in the cold, rain, being tired and loads of headaches. I reckon I've got over that now. Plus it's the weekend so I reckon I should be done by the end of today or maybe tomorrow. Don't forget about my rules of getting the LEGO text the right way and the gate marks out of sight in addition to thinking had one Technic pin left over which wasn't the case. It could take me way over 24 hours, I've spent roughly 10 so far...
    omniumMr_CrossOnebricktoomanyM_BossTyresOFlahertykezcatwranglerricecake
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    I went to my LEGO Store on Thursday to get the Falcon but totally missed out as my store only had 4 for sale and I was 5th in line. I was told by the manager that it was possible that there would be a shipment of the set the next day. I thought about waiting until next week because I wasn't to sure if it would be available any time soon. I went to my local LEGO Store before it opened the next day and the Manager was happy to see me and informed me that the Falcon had just arrived in stock. I am pretty happy that I was able to pick it up instead of waiting for months on end to find it online. Also I was the first person in my Local LEGO Store to get the wheels on the box since there was none available on Thursday. The build so far is challenging, but it is definitely worth the money.
    kbwomniumstluxMr_CrossM_BossKlintan
  • CrzypenguCrzypengu United StatesMember Posts: 77
    Adzbadboy said:

It looks like you completed all of the steps with Bag 3 at this point. I completed the first two Numbered Bags and it took me about 4 hours to do.
  • monkeyhangermonkeyhanger Member Posts: 3,117
    steveomcl said:
    C0chise said: 
    NO!
    Just to be a little more helpful, i'll tell you why it's a no. Promos are added that were relevant to the order date, if there were no promos that day (as in this case), but there are promos available on the day it is actually sent, you'll get no promos.
    C0chise
  • Based in Ireland still showing as 'In warehouse' for me, order placed 07:54 on Thursday morning before backorder. Will probably call and cancel if it hasn't shipped by Tuesday morning.
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited September 2017
    ^ I would not recommend that if you want a copy. I think this model will be in short supply for a good long time much like the Saturn IV and will be difficult to get. A bird in hand......
    omniumLegoboy