Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

UCS falcon rumours (that turned out to be true!)

Comments

• cavegodcavegod Member Posts: 806
    the designer vid clip was confirmation enough for me
    waynlewisbobabricks
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    I won't believe it until I see it in the brick.
    gmonkey76
  • GallardoLUGallardoLU USAMember Posts: 644

yep a "coming soon" on TLG online store, which was quickly removed. add in the designer video, and you have yourself a convincing conspiracy involving the UCS MF at the least and a virtual confirmation just waiting to be made official.

And now, back to our regularly scheduled shenanigans...

DedgeckoRainstorm26pharmjodMynattOmastar
  • ateagueateague EnglandMember Posts: 171
    Regardless of this new information I believe we are getting a new Falcon and it will be unveiled sooner rather than later
    DedgeckoJohnnyfinlandia
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,886
    edited May 2017
    Or it was left in there from when the initial one launched. Taj Mahal still has a page and listed as retired on the site for reference.
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 12,568
    ^ I would expect an archive page, not a coming soon page.  Someone in IT or marketing made a boo-boo!

So... now is the perfect time to panic!
    stlux
  • SeanTheCollectorSeanTheCollector BirminghamMember Posts: 764

SumoLego said:

^ I would expect an archive page, not a coming soon page.  Someone in IT or marketing made a boo-boo!

You only need to panic if you paided thousands for the old set as an investment!
    For the rest of us, this is great news and I'm looking forward to a fabulous Christmas present this year! :)
    C0chisewaynlewisSumoLegogmonkey76OmniusMynattOmastar
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 85
    Saving, saving and continued saving. Trying to avoid most new releases but Lego is making it really tempting 
    masterX244
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 494
    Same... lets hope we get some info soon.... that lockdown makes the wait just longer....
  • allstylesallstyles NetherlandsMember Posts: 1
    why do people think the first ucs falcon will go down in price??  
    Thats not gonna happen, its still a collecters item.
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,303
    HAHAHAHAHA! Heard that more times than I care to remember, with any collectible, a re-release can kill the value of the original. Ask anyone who collects baseball cards, basketball cards, action figures, movie prop replicas, etc...
    pharmjodRTO
  • stevecook132stevecook132 Member Posts: 112
    ^^ I think the first UCS Falcon will go down in price simply because another big Falcon has become available. The level of the drop will be down to how similar (or not) the new one is compared to the old - the closer they are in spec and size, the larger the price drop for the first Falcon.
    VorpalRyupharmjod
    I would be very surprised if you could get more than £1500 for the old set if the new one is at least as big as the old one and costs less than £750. I've seen one sell recently for £3000 on eBay but those days are looking numbered.
    VorpalRyupharmjod
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,529
    I suspect MISB copies of the original UCS Falcon probably won't take much of a hit, as they are already up into "crazy money". Anything short of MISB will probably take a massive dive in the market.
    madforLEGO
  • monstblitzmonstblitz Alexandria, VAMember Posts: 600
    At this point,

SumoLego said:

You only need to panic if you paided thousands for the old set as an investment!
    For the rest of us, this is great news and I'm looking forward to a fabulous Christmas present this year! :)

As someone who fits into category, I still don't see any reason to panic.  But that's because I went into it like any rational person should go into any investment.  Past performance is no guarantee of future results, and you have to be comfortable with the worst case scenario.  Worst case scenario was a re-release and my investment loses significant value (and don't kid yourself, a re-release will have at least cut these in half, if not worse).  Before pulling the trigger I knew it could happen and was comfortable with it.

Now, if this were just a normal stock investment, I'd be bummed out.  I wouldn't panic, but I'd be bummed.  But buying 10179 has brought me into the wonderful world of Lego Collecting in such a way that I'm just as excited as the rest of you about a re-release, investment be damned!  The 10179 will continue to sit in it's box, and if I hold onto it long enough, maybe it will be worth something remotely close to what I paid for it.  Or I'll build it someday. 

The secret to any investing isn't to panic when it goes wrong, but to learn from your mistakes.  I made a big one here, but going forward I learned not to treat Lego as an investment, but as a hobby. 

VorpalRyuYodaliciousDedgeckocatwranglerBrickfan50

I suspect MISB copies of the original UCS Falcon probably won't take much of a hit, as they are already up into "crazy money". Anything short of MISB will probably take a massive dive in the market.

I think you're dreaming if you believe anyone will pay £3000-£5000 for a MISB Falcon once a new UCS Falcon is released. In fact, I predict you will see a glut of MISB Falcons appear in the marketplace once the new one is released. I suspect there are quite a few collectors who would happily trade in their carefully looked after set which they payed RRP (or less) for, for two new ones (one to keep, one to build) plus extra spending money. Obviously, collectors who paid aftermarket prices may be reluctant to sell theirs but they are probably less likely to hold MISB sets. I am of course assuming LEGO doesn't make a hash of the new release! :)
    FollowsClosely
  • BobflipBobflip Member Posts: 501
    I'm thinking the MISBs ones won't be as prevalent as the opened ones, and not because there's more of the latter! People may well sell their original opened ones to replace it with the new one, but collectors would be foolish to sell MISB copies as soon as the new one's released. The 10179 price would probably drop somewhat, but unless this one goes the way of the Death Star the new incarnation won't be around forever. And as soon as the new one ceases to be available, they'll both creep up in price.
    waynlewis
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 447
    The original will go down in price because people who wanted it will say they will be happy with the rerelease rather than spending a few thousand on the other.
    dougts
    Of course it will go down.  Anyone expecting otherwise is kidding themselves.  The mere rumor of it has impacted value.  The reality of it will send it plummeting. 

I suspect the First Edition will take slightly less of a hit, but still a major hit.  My long term plan is to hopefully scrape up enough to get 2 of the new one if and when it happens.  One to build and enjoy, and another one to keep sealed with the 10179.  It would probably sell better as a packaged deal someday.  I rang the bell and paid waaaaay too much, so if the re release happens I'll probably not live long enough to get back what I paid, but maybe I can get close with any luck sometime way down the road.
    edited May 2017
    ...isn't to panic when it goes wrong....

Is it a mistake to panic?  Now I'm confused as to when to panic.
    Bumblepants
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    You panic when you're scared or afraid.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and everyone hates those damn resellers who bought the UCF MF for $350 and sold for $4000 before the collapse.
    SumoLego
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,546
    edited May 2017

You panic when you're scared or afraid.  Fear leads to anger, anger leads to hate and everyone hates those damn resellers who bought the UCF MF for $350 and sold for $4000 before the collapse.

Doesn't it also lead to the Dark side?
    omnium
  • Muftak1Muftak1 Somewhere cold, probably raining (aka Ireland)Member Posts: 508

Doesn't it also lead to the Dark side?

Hate... leads to suffering
  • bandit778bandit778 Docking Bay 94. Member Posts: 2,060
    Personally, I think the original certified version will still hold some sort of premium much like the original carded Star Wars figures do, just because there is always a market for the exclusive.
    The rumoured new version is just a way for those of us that cannot afford or justify spending the £3000 price tag for the original to (hopefully) build something iconic. 

I do wonder what the percentage will be between Lego fans purchasing just to build the set and those brought and stored by people hoping for the lofty heights of the original, as unless this is another seriously limited run, I think those hoping to get rich of it are going to to be disappointed.
    VorpalRyuYodaliciousbobabricks

SumoLego said:

...isn't to panic when it goes wrong....

Is it a mistake to panic?  Now I'm confused as to when to panic.

4 words- snakes on a plane
    Yodaliciousgmonkey76prevereSumoLegoGoldchains
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,822
    Or scorpions if you fly United Airways
    bluedragonmonstblitzbobabricksGoldchains
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    I really thought the rumors were... Inaccurate, but now, seeing the stuff about the Lego website...

Well, if that page has been axed: Someone tell me the page was real to start with. Multiple someones. Then I'll believe it. Any given screenshot, I'm inclined to doubt is real. So "I saw the screenshot and believed it" isn't enough. How many of you ACTUALLY went to the site and confirmed it? Enough firsthand accounts of accessing that page, and then... I'll update my prior and say it's likely.

That said, I'm glad I'm not really into Star Wars; you Star Wars fans are crazy! Anything Star Wars ends up costing a ridiculous sum! I'll have my Ninjago, thanks. (That's how you can tell I was a kid in 1998.)
  • CM4SCM4S United StatesMember Posts: 1,323

I really thought the rumors were... Inaccurate, but now, seeing the stuff about the Lego website...

Well, if that page has been axed: Someone tell me the page was real to start with. Multiple someones. Then I'll believe it. Any given screenshot, I'm inclined to doubt is real. So "I saw the screenshot and believed it" isn't enough. How many of you ACTUALLY went to the site and confirmed it? Enough firsthand accounts of accessing that page, and then... I'll update my prior and say it's likely.

That said, I'm glad I'm not really into Star Wars; you Star Wars fans are crazy! Anything Star Wars ends up costing a ridiculous sum! I'll have my Ninjago, thanks. (That's how you can tell I was a kid in 1998.)

I did. I tried it on my phone. Others did too. Real real real. 
    stlux
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    yes, the ninja fig was one of my favs
  • ShibShib UKMember Posts: 5,287

CM4S said:

I did. I tried it on my phone. Others did too. Real real real. 

I also saw it on the website on my phone at the time
  • wardmwardm BelgiumMember Posts: 604
    I also saw it on my laptop! I didn't entirely believe the rumours at first, but seeing that on the lego site made me almost certain it's coming!
  • mountebankmountebank Member Posts: 1,237
    I didn't see it either which means that I'm in the reality in which it never happened:

http://mandelaeffect.com
    monstblitzsid3windr
  • BooTheMightyHamsterBooTheMightyHamster Northern edge of London, just before the dragons...Member Posts: 1,311
    Yep.  I went to the actual website on my actual laptop and saw the actual message.
    It was more realer than Donald Trump's hair.
    GothamConstructionCoMuftak1Omnius
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind Brickset's Secret HeadquatersMember Posts: 1,822
    I saw it as well. 
  • FireheartFireheart Suffolk, UKMember Posts: 548
    Did anyone screen capture it? As it would have been the first thing I did if I came across it...
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,824
    I saw it on the GB website yesterday before it was pulled since I monitor this thread like a hawk! :)

I also got confirmation from a customer services rep last night. I opened a chat window to get a replacement part that I broke (me being clumsy!) for a new set that's not officially released yet (automated parts replacement form doen't recognise unreleased sets). I was building #60161 Jungle Exporation Site. It's a great set! :)
    Anyway, I causually asked when the release date was for the new upcoming UCS Millennium Falcon. And she say... "I don't know, I wish I did!"
    That's like, a real confirmation! :D
    It's certainly not a denial.

I think the only uncertainty now apart from the release date is whether they've just tweeked the new set like they did to the Death Star or whether they put major effort into building a super large fully detailed replacement that knocks the socks of the old one! I suppose they could screw it up by releasing a much smaller Millennium Falcon with minimum interior at a massively inflated price. Fingers crossed it's not the latter! :)
    catwranglerKingDaveAdzbadboyMattDawson
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    maybe they only tweaked the price
    waynlewisbobabricks
  • TheWeekInBricksTheWeekInBricks UKMember Posts: 6
    If nothing else, I think the rumours show the thirst out there for this set. It deserves a new, amazing version. I wouldn't buy it, but I think it would be very healthy for the Lego ecosystem.
    A.Brickovsky
  • waynlewiswaynlewis USAMember Posts: 85
    So, what will the next re-release be? And I wonder what others ships, or objects, show up as a silhouette on the box cover? On the cover of the DS, there's the MF, BW, XW, TF and another ship I couldn't make out.
  • flakmaniakflakmaniak Member Posts: 50
    Ok well, prior to the website thing... I would have put money on "It's not happening, and people just want to believe". But now I think I'd go the other way. It's weird, given that so many of the rumors seemed, well... Fake. Like plain wishful thinking. Even if there wasn't a knockout tell on them, they didn't seem credible. But... I guess some of them could have been real. Or they could all have been fake, and it's happening anyway. Still. Guess I'm a believer now.

So when's the... UCS Aquazone line? :P Guess I'm just a Lego fan. More following these Star Wars rumors out of curiosity than out of Star Wars fandom.
    edited May 2017
    So when's the... UCS Aquazone line? :P

Hydrolator is really expensive.  It's difficult to acquire, and some yahoos in shark-adorned submarines are always stealing it...
    catwrangler
  • CaptAPJTCaptAPJT Member Posts: 223
    Aquazone! Now that's a blast from my youth! I think they should definitely go Ice Planet first
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    edited May 2017
    Nothing new to add but we are three days away from the 40th anniversary and hopefully a possible announcement. Are there any big Lego shows this weekend? Would they just post it on-line?   
  • Maxime_1987Maxime_1987 Member Posts: 33
    Well,

I just read the entire thread. 

Sum up : We still dont know anything and there is a lot of rumours. 
    mustang69CM4SBumblepantsGoldchainsSumoLegomonstblitzDedgecko
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,313

Well,

I just read the entire thread. 

I can guarantee you that if there is anything concrete, then it will get posted in a new thread, not on this rumours thread.
    SumoLego
  • dbrougedbrouge QcMember Posts: 24

also memes are no longer allowed, but sausage talk is still good.
    nwr122Maxime_1987