Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

I want to make a door..

Please help.. people (including my husband) are telling me I am crazy as I want to build a Lego door for our basement playroom. How and where is the best place to buy any colour and any length 1x  pieces such as in the picture. 

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,551
    edited March 2017
    A door for humans? It would cost a small fortune in 1xbricks and not be very sturdy. I would try for Duplo if attempting something like this. They might be strong enough to accept screws for hinges but even still seems like a frustrating project. Good luck and let us know how it goes if you attempt it.

Bricklink . com will have lots of parts but you will probably be looking at four figures even with used bricks to get enough to build a full door.
    SprinkleOtterkiki180703
  • masterX244masterX244 GermanyMember Posts: 431
    for stability technic bricks can help massively since you can cross-link layers with them
    jojoaskiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    After you have made a door, make it ajar.
    jojoasImABrickManNowRainstorm26MrKettlekiki180703
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025

My suggestion is that instead of building a door out of LEGO pieces, which would be a huge and very expensive undertaking with no guaranteed results, just LEGO-ize a regular door. You can attach a LEGO mosaic to the surface of the door, or a poster, or paint the door to make it look like it is made of LEGO bricks. Just as fun, and you would also have a functional door. :) 

legomentalgmonkey76kiki180703catwrangler
  • SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,708
    Add a facade of LEGO to a real doo.
    FollowsCloselykiki180703
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    Or, if you are set of having it made from 100% brick, the method of making bricks out of bricks.

A bit like James May had for his house.
    madforLEGOkiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    edited March 2017
    You might want to make the door 4 wide.
    SprinkleOtterJern92kiki180703
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 306
    Make it at least four wide and make it hollow. Use technic beams to reinforce the door along the x and y axis.  Check out the most recent Tyderium Shuttle and look at how the dorsal wing is reinforced along its height. You're going to need aLOT of bricks tho. 
  • jojoasjojoas ukMember Posts: 2
    Thank you for comments. Plan is too make door and then mount it on mdf with hinges behind attached to mdf. It is only very narrow and having to have an mdf door due to the size and shape. It essentially will look like a tower of Lego in the corner. Maybe we can add it in strips and build it up slowly. Should keep the kids entertained for a while 
  • datsunrobbiedatsunrobbie West Haven , CTMember Posts: 1,422
    211.66 stacked bricks = 80" high
    38.1 studs wide = 12" wide

For a 12" x 80" door that's  844 1x8 + 211 1x6
    3.21gx844 = 2709.24g
    2.42gx211 = 510.62g
    3219.86g/7.09pounds per foot of width

It sounds like a cool project. If I was going to try making a Lego door I'd look for a dual-pane storm door and fill it with bricks between the glass panels, so the bricks would be visible from both sides.

akunthitakbenjeskiki180703catwrangler
  • mustang69mustang69 North CarolinaMember Posts: 345
    What is it you're trying to accomplish? Do you just want a door with what looks like LEGO stacked the full lenght? Or are you looking to have the studs pointed outwards so that kids could actually build things on the side of the door?

If its the latter then you could just use base plates as that would be the cheapest option.

If its the former, then like mentioned above it would take a lot of bricks and might be pretty heavy.

Pick a Brick or Bricks and Pieces on the LEGO site would be good options for new bricks but could be costly. Otherwise Bricklink.com is your best bet.
  • prevereprevere North of Bellville, East of Heartlake, South of Bricksburg, West of Ninjago City Member Posts: 2,874
    I think you should make it completely sand green.
    Switchfoot55SumoLegoRainstorm26madforLEGOFollowsCloselyMynattmampepinAllBrickkiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,495
    prevere said:
    I think you should make it completely sand green.
    I was thinking the same thing.  1x6s or 1x8s only...
    SprinkleOtterRainstorm26Mynattkiki180703
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I think it should be all trans-clear bricks to make sure no one is inside waiting to jack you with a sock full of pennies.
    SprinkleOttermadforLEGOJackad7Johnyk668kiki180703
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 11,495
    Also, this may help with the building technique.  Although I would use the Kragle and some exterior epoxy finish once you're done.

(A Lego veneer would also get the desired effect.)

http://freshome.com/2010/02/24/cool-conference-room-table-made-from-lego-blocks/

DaraghRainstorm26akunthitakiki180703
  • FollowsCloselyFollowsClosely Member Posts: 948
    If you decide to move forward with this (I think you are crazy) I have plenty of spare 1×? I would be willing to part with at 70% of going bricklink rate. I have plenty of k-boxes of 1x4 and 1x3.

If it where me I would attempt to glue plates to the door studs outhe so you, or your kids, can decorate it.
  • kbenjeskbenjes Member Posts: 70
    for a 80"x32" door, it would take around 5,376 2x4 bricks lengthwise.

At a cent per brick, you're looking at $53.

At ten cents per brick, $530.