Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

danstraindepot: Super Heroes Unite! Grand Prize Winner - And Introduction

danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
edited January 2012 in Introduce yourself
First let me introduce myself. I was coerced out of the 'Dark Ages' by my two boys (or maybe it was just an excuse =). One of my sons just turned 9 this week, and the other is 11. Now we are avid collectors/builders. We are fortunate to have a large room to build in. I sell model railroad items for a living, and so we are building a lego train layout.

My boys talked me into helping them film a lego stop motion video for the Super Heroes Unite contest. Thier two favorite things, are Lego and Super Heroes, so I guess this was natural. We spent countless hours together building and filming. It was a great time, and will be a great memory. And I am humbled that we won GRAND PRIZE! Perhaps some in this forum were our competition, and we realize there were a lot of other great movies. Certainly some more polished than ours, this was our first video.

So here is to years of happy building. And also we check Brickset many times a day now. We love the news, sales, and I would have to say it is one of the better hobby related forums I have seen. Very much on-topic, and intellegent and helpful posts. Keep up the good work everyone, We will be checking back often!

Comments

• danstraindepotdanstraindepot Member Posts: 170
    edited December 2011
    Oh,
    And here is a link to our video, if anyone would like to check it out!
    It's Just My Imagination
    edited December 2011
    Hello everyone. I am an AFOL with 2 boys, 9 & 11. We live in Ocala, FL area. I have a fairly large model train business, Dan's Train Depot and Brass Trains

We have started building a large Lego Train Layout, of course unlike model train layouts, where everything is very prototypical, and revolves around a certain date & area, it has been a lot of fun to have more leeway with legos.

Unfortunately it seems modelrailroading and Lego really do not mix, since both hobbies tend to lean toward 'you can never have enough' and the 'layout could really be a bit bigger'! But it is a great hobby to share with my boys. We spend an awful lot of time building and collecting together. And recently we won the Lego Super Heroes contest so that was super cool as well (sorry to brag, but we are all just so excited!)

Anyhow we really love brickset, and thanks for all the great comments and information you all share.
    If there are any serious collectors in the Ocala/Orlando FL area please feel free to drop me a line.

Happy Building!
  • sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    Nice work. Congratulations! Lots of CMFs in that video - including the robot "doing the robot." I hope to put together videos like this with my kids some day.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    Welcome! Congratulations on your win :)
  • andheandhe UKMember Posts: 2,626
    Wow, you have a lot of lego (the Wayne Manor MOC is immense, they should totally make a set like that, with Bat-pole of course) and now I guess even more Lego as the grand prize is every set in the DC range right?

This is a fun film to watch, a well deserved win!
  • akunthitaakunthita USAMember Posts: 1,025
    @danstraindepot, oh, you are my neighbor! I'm over at Gainesville. Any AFOL activity over there? (c:
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    well done, nice movie to watch, and a funny idea ;)
  • MinifigsMeMinifigsMe Member Posts: 2,844
    Fabulous!! you deserved to win. :)
  • LukeSkywalkerLukeSkywalker IrelandMember Posts: 231
    @danstraindepot That video is amazing! Congratulations on your big win! What kind of camera did you use? I made a few stop motion videos a couple of years ago and would like to get back into making them again, to make proper use of my LEGO collection. :)
  • collect_thatcollect_that Kidderminster, EnglandMember Posts: 1,312
    Loved it! Well done guys!!
    Thanks Everyone.
    We used a Sony Camcorder, and a program, StopMotionPro. I then edited in the sound, etc, with another program that I have used for video editing in the past. Actually we are big time amatures, this was our first stop motion video. I would like to try some more. It was a lot of fun, but took tons of time.

The things I have learned, for what its worth, is to do a much better job with the lighting. And slow down the action with some pauses,etc. This seems like it would be easy, and maybe there are tricks I do not know, but the film seemed to take on a life of its own. We did have over 3000 photos to make it up.

We ended up getting TWO complete collections! And the Maquette, I am not sure how rare it is, but it is nice. It is not of a 'lego' batman, but rather just a standard DC Comics batman. I will try to post some pics later so everyone can see it.

And of course we cannot wait to see what is involved in the trip. Lego has certainly treated us right so far!
    Hi, I do not know of any AFOL activity in Ocala. We are involved with model railroading so I would think I would know about lego railroaders, but who knows.
    If you hear of any nearby conventions, etc., please let us know.
  • SupersympaSupersympa SwedenMember Posts: 534
    welcome!
    impressive train collection...I guess it is also your business! ;)
  • streekerstreeker FranceMember Posts: 299
    Well done! I viewed your video the other day. A true labour of family love. I think that's what shone brightest, and why your video beat all those 'polished' productions.