Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Online Fraud: Drop Shipped LEGO, etc. (eBay, Amazon Marketplace, Bricklink, etc.)

Comments

• LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,572
    Please please please don't even consider buying it despite feedback! Many buyers do not realise they've been scammed and leave positive feedback!
    I have emailed Thor at Lego about this, but having just clicked on the link again it seems the listing has been removed. Definitely dodgy. Hope the 22 people who bought one get this sorted out quickly.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,731
    Guaranteed scam.

Just ask yourself : where would anyone get hold of 10188 that cheap, and why would they then sell such a desirable set for 50% off ?

• dk1007dk1007 Member Posts: 49
    Got my money back today from paypal for the China Death star $249. I am very happy with ebay fast decision on this issue.
  • SenatorBlutarskySenatorBlutarsky Member Posts: 4
    I found two more likely droppshipper on e-bay today:

(1) stehallv, who seems to be selling nothing but new Lego sets and PetSafe wireless dog collars, all at well under the MSRP. That fits the MO of at least two other dropshippers I have seen.

(2) greendogmat, who seems to be selling nother but new Lego sets and Keurig coffee makers, all at well under the MSRP.

The dropshippers are not too difficult to sniff out -- just search for sets in the $100 range (e.g. 7964, 8109, 10193) and then check the seller's history.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    Problem: Drop shipment from ebay; you get a good price on an item, but -- your name is listed as the 'ship to' on Lego, the person who's info was stolen was the purchaser. Now you get to go back to eBay and Lego to try to prove you had nothing to do with it.
    If the time passed is over 30 days (and most people don't notice bad charges for a few months, as long as the charges are 'small') then the scammers may 'no longer be active' or listed. Remember also, the eBay lister is most likely someone who is 'only the person listing, and passing info/money onto someone else' .. the someone else who really isn't listed anywhere.

Solution: If it comes directly from Lego, and is paid for by someone other than the person you paid (and usually from a different state, etc) then chances are good there is fraud involved. Contact lego directly (1-800-835-4386 or [email protected]), and send the following info:

from Lego invoice:
    Order/Reference number: (its the same number)

from eBay:
    Item number (I included links to the listings as well)

I'm still working through the process, but hopefully all this mess gets taken care of
  • minifigmanminifigman Amsterdam, NetherlandsMember Posts: 21
    What's against trying to contact the person who's CC has been fraudulently charged? The sooner that person knows, the better, right?
    About Lego contacting every CC owner on the fraudulent charges. I think it has to do with the volume of orders at lego.com. Imagine there are 10,000+ order a day with these type of issues. Only 3% of them maybe bad. Each phone call takes about 10 to 15 mins. How many CS people does lego need to do this? It is part of business to take some losses. You guys here sounds like lego sell maybe 100 orders a day to have the time to do this. Thor is doing the best that he can.
  • snowtygersnowtyger Member Posts: 47
    I think minifigman is saying to contact the person who is listed in the 'sold to' field, since individually, we know who it was, and we might be able to find them on google; unfortunately, I have a 3yr old. He keeps me busy. I'd agree I'd like to contact them all, its right up there after 'keeping gainfully employed'
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    ^^ 10,000+ orders a day? That seems way high to me...
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,404
    If Lego is really selling 7 sets a second, that is 604,800 sets per day...

But since most of those sets are sold by retailers, I would agree that 10,000+ orders per day is a bit high...

I suspect their daily orders are closer to 1,000 per day, but who knows, maybe they do more?
  • JenniJenni JapanMember Posts: 1,390
    ^ And the real issue is how many of them are shipped to a different address than is linked to the credit card. Those are the only ones that would need to be called.
    And it isn't an even 1,000 orders a day, it is really 3,000 orders on Saturday and 500 orders on Wednesday...

And it isn't even that... It is 200 orders on Wednesday in June and 15,000 orders on Black Friday... :)

The Lego factory show said that they do 80% of their business in the last quarter of the year, or something like that, so it really isn't even at all.
    @legofantexas Thats why the scammer on ebay and amazon do their work around the holidays knowing Lego will not have enough staff to figure out what they are doing. Bottom line, lego needs to implement something to authenticate CC better during checkout, and working with the bank and payment processor are their only option.

Heck, I am going to suggest accept Paypal payment only, and let Paypal deal with the scammer!
  • DougoutDougout Member Posts: 888
    Someone just paid $1,405 + $70 shipping to a tobeman2099(0) from (saue, harju, Estonia) for a UCS Falcon. I actually feel bad for this person because they are gonna have a tough next few weeks as they realize they've been scammed. The increasing number of these transactions and ebays continued incompetence to stop these stupid auctions that scream "scam" is really discouraging at this point. What to do?
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 658
    edited January 2012
    Another dropshiper on eBay.co.uk, god they stand out like a sore thumd!!!!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/emptysounds/m.html?hash=item1c235ffa23&item=120852576803&pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&_trksid=p4340.l2562

The item description has been used word for word by over 10 sellers that I know of!!!
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ why are you surpised that the description is used over and over? Even Amazon use it for goodness sake! I'm not saying these guys aren't drop-shippers but LEGO provide that narrative so it's hardly surprising it crops up everywhere.

The rest is very suspicious though, I agree.
    ^ Its not the set description I'm talking about its the shipping info.
  • MartinMartin Member Posts: 375
    ^ right, my apologies.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    @Chompers - I contacted this guy at Christmas, and he actually admitted he was selling on behalf of someone else!! Issue is I guess that he's still there...
    ^ this is starting to become a bit of a joke!!! This seller gives no info on where he based and as you say has been selling since Christmas and most buyers seem happy, why wouldn't they. Probably never buy from [email protected] and will never no some poor sod has had their CC stolen and used to buy the set.

Come TLG & eBay get this sorted!!!!
    Got a package from China that was suppose to be two 10188 for $500. Turns out, I got 4 very small plastic container with nothing in it.
  • CoyotelilyCoyotelily God's Own County, UKMember Posts: 661
    Unfortunately these scammers seriously affect those of us who are honest sellers on eBay and have our stock in hand. I have recently noticed when I,m selling off my duplicate sets that the new ones don't sell as well as my used items. I have been approached by a similar email to the others shown but just ignored them. I will definitely take action if I receive them in the future.
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Northern VirginiaAdministrator, Moderator Posts: 5,234
    I was just thinking...imagine you're a legitimate reseller who just happens to live in Olive Branch MS? They're going to just have to move. :o)
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind CheshireMember Posts: 2,086
    Is Thor also taking a look at copyright infingement as i have an example that i got off ebay
    ^ TLG is well aware of the "Enlighten" sets...
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    edited February 2012
    I ordered a Hogwarts item from Amazon and received it the other day. It came from Walmart.com and was complete with a receipt. Walmart shipped the set with the receipt stuffed into a slash in the set caused by what appeared to be a box cutter. Obviously, I didn't want a slashed box, so I sent a request to Amazon to return the item. Amazon replied that the person no longer sells products on their website, so I took the item down to Walmart to exchange it with an unslashed box (which they did).

Upon closer inspection of the receipt that was stuffed into the slit in the box, I noticed that the set actually cost about $62 and I paid about $43 for the set. It was purchased by someone in NJ and shipped to my address from Georgia. Something smells fishy about this whole transaction, but I can't believe Amazon would be complicit. Has anyone else experienced anything similar with Amazon? If so, how did you deal with it?
  • Farmer_JohnFarmer_John USA - 4,035 Miles from 62 West Wallaby St., Wigan, Lancashire, UKMember Posts: 2,404
    Okay...just found this thread today and glad I did. It appears that I've had a couple items drop shipped to me via Amazon.com, and I refuse to use Amazon Marketplace again.

I just spent 2 hours on the phone with Amazon trying to cancel or at least find out more about 3 suspect purchases from sellers that have mysteriously been discontinued as sellers for Amazon. Long story short from Amazon: "We'll just wait and see how everything turns out." The reason I purchased in the first place was that I was trying to get a decent price on a potentially soon-to-be EOL'd set. The prices I purchased the sets at weren't that far out of line (perhaps 10% off or less). And to add insult to injury, I missed bidding on an eBay auction that I really wanted to win.

If the criminal justice system actually worked and punished criminals, then I'm sure there would be less of this hogwash! So much for my evening...
  • BrickDancerBrickDancer Dunes of TatooineMember Posts: 3,639
    Looks like TLG is starting to take steps forward on the Shipping/Billing Address orders. I was in LEGO B&M San Diego over the weekend to pick up 2 VW Camper Vans, but none in stock so they ordered it for me through S&H. Then got an email from Lego that the order is on-hold until I call and clear up the fraud inquiry. A quick call to CS confirmed the reason was the difference between Billing (CC Address) and my Shipping Address. Once cleared, the order was released for shipping. I'm looking forward to the day that all these scams will be stopped dead cold and the persons are charged with theft/fraud. Happy to see TLG is taking it seriously now.
  • luckyrussluckyruss UKMember Posts: 872
    the guy above in the UK is back, with the same listings as before. Hopefully if TLG start to check the different address issue in the UK then it might help stop this. Not obvious yet - I placed an order at the end of last week, but no cross-check - has anyone else been contacted?
  • chakinochakino Member Posts: 159
    I bought a Deathstar around the summer from lego but because i didn't trust where i lived i got it delivered to my parents i had to order three times because my billing address wasn't the same as what they had because they used postcode recognition. all they need to do is check the possible frauds with a call like what happened with brickdancer. Unfortunately there are many non afol adults who will fall for these scams .
  • RedbullgivesuwindRedbullgivesuwind CheshireMember Posts: 2,086
    @yellowcastle cool thank you :-)
  • AvengerDrAvengerDr Member Posts: 453
    Some days ago I ordered a Death Star 10188 from [email protected] The very next day they emailed me about needing to verify some information about the order. They wanted to know if it was really me who ordered it (it was the first time I ordered something from them).. they proceeded to ask me various question, where I lived, which item I ordered, etc.
    edited February 2012
    An other drop shipper using other people's addresses. But does anybody really care? I talked to Amazon and my CC company for hours and they didn't care. I tried to cancel the order too, but it arrived anyway (damaged) from WM. Also I notice Adri2011 was selling again earlier today on WM. It's no wonder the banks are going bankrupt!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&seller=A3B7YU9FZSOUYM

I suspect this second link is also drop shipping, but I'm not going to order and find out.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/aag/main?ie=UTF8&isAmazonFulfilled=0&marketplaceID=ATVPDKIKX0DER&isCBA=&seller=A1D9NMZ8990OTT
    Okay...just found this thread today and glad I did. It appears that I've had a couple items drop shipped to me via Amazon.com, and I refuse to use Amazon Marketplace again.
    There is a simple solution to this...

Only buy from FBA sellers on Amazon... FBA stands for Fulfillment by Amazon, and it means the items are physically sitting in Amazon's warehouse, ready to be shipped by Amazon to you. It also means that if a seller has 50 of an item, he had to get them all at once in one location, to ship into Amazon's warehouse, so it is unlikely he purchased them using the scam discussed in this thread.

In the event, at least you know what you'll be getting, since Amazon is the shipper and provides all customer service, if there is a problem, you never, ever have to talk to the seller, Amazon handles it just as if you had bought it from them.

Take at look here:

http://www.amazon.com/LEGO-Creator-Emerald-Night-Train/dp/B001USDL02/

The item has a "Add to Cart" button, but notice it says Sold by "insert sellers name here" and Fulfilled by Amazon.

This item will come in an Amazon box, directly from Amazon, you'll never talk to or otherwise deal with the 3rd party seller.

Nice program, lets you buy stuff without worrying about such nonsense.
    Thanks for the info @LFT
  • Dropshipping appears to be alive and well on e-bay. Take a look at the following sellers: waterloo982011, warin75delo, delon45gj (only two items sold so far, but definitely fits the standard MO of selling LEGO sets and PetSafe wireless dog collars), harri70son, stehallv, and ashbroley.

Not sure about this one: alittleofthizalittleofzat. The seller has a feedback rating close to 700 but the history is suspicious -- many new LEGO sets (and GE color-changing light sets) sold at well under MSRP and with free shipping.

Then there's this listing: http://www.ebay.com/itm/LEGO-Star-Wars-7964-Republic-Frigate-1015-pcs-MIB-STOCK-/120857658849?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1c23ad85e1. The 7964 Republic Frigate for only $16.99 and there are more than 10 of them available -- all from a seller who appears to have been inactive for over 4 years. I'm guessing that you'll end up with a box full of rocks if you order any of these.
  • chuckischuckis Member Posts: 11
    I got hit, purchased a HP castle off ebay. I thought it was legit because he listed a city near me (Arlington, Texas) limited you to one item for $105.00 plus free shipping. I got it this morning and started not to open it but was curious because I noticed the box came from Lego and I hadn't ordered anything from Lego. Sure enough the invoice indicated someone in Colorado had purchased the item for $159.73, damn it.
    Who do I contact first?
    I'm so pissed I forgot to post the seller, (pushout-us ( 41) Arlington, Texas
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 993
    Not sure if this is the place to report dodgy listings, but a familiar cheap 'more than 10 available' 10188 listing here on eBay.ie:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/BRAND-NEW-LEGO-Star-Wars-Death-Star-10188-DeathStar-/110823016209?pt=UK_Construction_Toys_Kits&hash=item19cd910711
    @Steve_j_om: listing it here alerts Brickset users to avoid it, but you should email Thor as well as he can actually act on investigating and shutting down these scammers.
  • Steve_J_OMSteve_J_OM IrelandMember Posts: 993
    Thanks @LostInTranslation, will do that.
    edited February 2012
    Email that I received from seller.

Hello,
    I dont know whats are youtalking about. I used wholesale from china.They told me they purchased from lego and walmart , they want become big reseller from them.
    Oh yes, you only paid money from ebay not paid for lego or walmart..etc.
    You can call police but only waste time.
    Thank you and so after all give us good feedback, we try our best for all

• MatthewMatthew Cheshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 3,714
    ^ that has 'dodgy' written ten million times all over it
  • cheshirecatcheshirecat Member Posts: 5,331
    I don't see much wrong with most of those amazon shops - they are selling at or close to RRP and often discontinued stock.

You however were facilitating credit card fraud. I assume/hope you have now contacted ebay, your local police etc to cover your own back.
    I did email Thor and here's my response:

I will be on vacation starting Thursday June 16, returning Tuesday June 28th. During this time I will be checking/responding to email and voicemail periodically.

Thank you,

Thor Magnussen

edited February 2012
    Here is an email I received from (Seller: CheapH) on Amazon today. This is the seller I spent hours trying to convince Amazon was likely using stolen credit cards, but they wouldn't listen:

Dear XXXXXX,
    Thank you for your infomation. I find out I'm a part of scam.
    I bought Lego from whole sale from china with small money and sell from Amazon. I dont know why they can sell lego with cheap price but today I know.
    Yes ,they stolen credit card and purchased directly from lego or walmart or etc big site and shipped to all customer I gave for us. I called to police and they told me need wait to find them.
    Thank you so much and now I stop selling lego in site, I must find another wholesale but seems in the future, I dont have money :(
    Thank you again

Fortunately, I was able to cancel this particular order, but there are others I couldn't. Again, no more sellers that aren't directly affiliated with Amazon. I am the maddest at Amazon, Lego and the others that don't come up with methods to identify criminal sellers. There's got to be a way...
  • pcironepcirone Long Island, NYMember Posts: 346
    I guess what with vacations and an anti-fraud department with a staff of 1 its hard to do much.