Hello from Chicago!

ambrosiusambrosius ChicagoMember Posts: 12
I've been a Brickset member for a few years and have made great use of this fantastic site. Just joining the forum now to share in more Lego discussions and keep up to date with Lego news.

Comments

• LegogramLegogram PA USAMember Posts: 316
    Welcome to the forum!
    ambrosius
  • ambrosiusambrosius ChicagoMember Posts: 12
    Thanks! Looks like there's a lot of great folks here. :)
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    Welcome fellow Chicagoan
    ambrosius
  • dspigeldspigel Seoul, KoreaMember Posts: 431
    Welcome from Hawaii!
    ambrosius
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    Welcome from the Chicago burbs
    ambrosius
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    Hello from Sussex. Hope you have a spiffing time here old bean.
    ambrosius
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    edited March 2017
    Welcome from the far northwest 'burbs.
    ambrosius
  • BillyBricks84BillyBricks84 United StatesMember Posts: 343
    Welcome! (also from the NW suburbs)
    ambrosius
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,529
    Shall I make the usual comment about #21033 ? Welcome to the 'other side' of Brickset :-)
    ambrosius
    Wow, what a friendly crowd!

Speaking of #21033, I just bought one the other day. I have many great memories walking over that bridge, passing the Wrigley building, and heading straight up to the next-to-top floor of Nordstrom's. Those were the days! That's where I first saw the original Arctic series, among many other great sets.
    MaffyD
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,782
    Welcome to Brickset! Are you a Labyrinth fan, by any chance? 
    ambrosius
    No, don't know anything about Labyrinth. But I have been to Northern Ireland many times!
    catwranglerRainstorm26
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,782
    Small world! :) Do you have family here?

I wondered about Labyrinth because there's a character named Ambrosius!
    ambrosiusricecake
    Yes, I do have family in N. Ireland. Dungannon area.

My username is from Ambrosius Bach, father of the famous J. S. Bach. In real life I am a musician. :)
    catwranglerricecake
    ^ and here was I trying to think of any famous northern Irishmen named "Ambrosius"!
    ambrosiuscatwrangler
    ^^ I thought he invented custard and rice pudding?                                                                                          
                                           . .       .           . .               .

ambrosiuscatwrangler
    edited March 2017

^ Yeah, but that dude is from Devon.

Also, completely unrelated, but Ambrosia Devon Custard is 100 years old this year!

http://www.ambrosia.co.uk/index.html

ambrosiuscatwranglerAllBrick
  • Boardshorts85Boardshorts85 ChicagoMember Posts: 175
    Welcome from the north side!

I just scored #21033 for 25% at Barnes and Noble two weeks back.  Its now gracing the shelf on my desk at work (architect)
    ambrosius
  • thedingman5thedingman5 Great Lakes, USAMember Posts: 238
    Welcome from yet another local!
    ambrosius
    Anybody going to Brickworld Chicago this summer?
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 621
    ^I should be there on that Saturday or Sunday.  I usually attend one of the public days; the new space is much roomier than the original Westin's, which was starting to get claustrophobic.  I was a little disappointed in the larger % of vendor space compared to exhibitor's areas last year as compared to previous years, but it was probably just more noticeable since two long-time collaborative displays were missing last year (M-Tron mining base and Great Ball Contraption were not around).

I might want to attend for the full week once my daughter is old enough to help out (a few years down the road...); I'd love to have a Classic Space collaborative display of some sort...
    ambrosius
  • Rainstorm26Rainstorm26 Chicago Burbs USA (and sometimes Ireland)Member Posts: 1,004
    I was in Ireland last year and missed it.  Does anyone know why the GBC folks weren't there?
    ambrosius
  • CurvedRoadPlateCurvedRoadPlate Member Posts: 256
    The man who coordinated the display is no longer with us. 
    ambrosius
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,348
    edited April 2017
    When is Brickworld this year?
    I typically do not go only because it is a bit depressing to see all the grreat MOCs at the show and me really stuck not being able to build a lot right now.

Also, if people are in town and go to the Schaumburg Mall for the LEGO store, do not forget Brickmania as well (in the same mall, pretty much on the other side of the mall near the Cheesecake factory and I think Subway, on the ground floor) They mostly sell Military sets built with LEGO and also accessories like food stuff printed on tiles, to figures (military and CMFs), Pop machines and such. Prices may be a bit high for some, but they have some neat things there.
    So I think if you go to the 'trouble' to get to the mall to visit LEGO store, you may as well walk a bit down to the Brickmania store and check them out.
    Also LEGOLAND Discovery Center is outside the mall near the Gameworks as well.
    ambrosius
    It's always Father's Day weekend. I agree about it being depressing that I haven't been able to build any cool MOCs. 
    ambrosius
  • ImABrickManNowImABrickManNow BrickyMcBrickMember Posts: 270
    Hello from a fellow Illinoisan. (I think I spelled that right)
    madforLEGO
    Hello from a lover of Chicago house music.