"Mark All Viewed" doesn't work!?

DatoDato Member Posts: 111
edited December 2011 in Forum Operation
I pressed "Mark All Viewed" multiple times, yet I still get the same "xxx new" status for the threads I haven't read. Is this functionality broken, or does it mean something else?

Comments

• DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    Never mind. I think you need to refresh the page to make it effective. Why isn't refreshing part of the "Mark All Viewed" functionality, then?
  • LegoboyLegoboy 100km furtherMember Posts: 8,702
    From memory, it's a bug. The last time I clicked on it (6-7 months ago), it reset all of the threads to 'all new'.

Needless to say, I haven't braved clicking it again.
  • DatoDato Member Posts: 111
    I think "Mark All Viewed" is too coarse of a granularity because it touches all threads in the forum. What we also need is a per-thread "mark all viewed" button, which may be placed next to the bookmark star.
  • brickmaticbrickmatic Member Posts: 1,071
    ^ I agree.
  • DaddyDeuceDaddyDeuce Member Posts: 272
    edited February 2012
    Does clicking "Mark All Viewed" do anything useful? I can't figure out what functionality it brings. It definitely isn't doing what I expected, which would be to mark all threads as completely read so that the next time I log in I can see what has been posted new since I left.

Edit: Well, I take that back. But there is some kind of delay before the database updates. I refreshed multiple times and kept seeing unread messages, then suddenly they went away a minuted after clicking the link.

Maybe it runs a SQL command that takes some time to execute?