Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Any LEGO employee out there?

DatoDato Member Posts: 111
edited December 2011 in Community and Events
Over on flyertalk, a website dedicated to air travel and its peripheral businesses, it's not uncommon to see employees of major airlines join in on the discussions from "the other side". Just wondering if we have any LEGO employee monitoring or even contributing to this forum. Either way, we should probably tell the employees at your local LEGO stores about this website and invite them to participate in this forum. I am sure their presence would make this forum even more informative.

Comments

• sidersddsidersdd USAMember Posts: 2,432
    @Kevinhink is Kevin Hinkle, LEGO Community Relations Coordinator- North America.
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    I'm guessing there could be LEGO store or Cust service employees already on this forum, but will not act as LEGO spokespeople. I'm guessing that LEGO would tell any employee on a Forum that, while they can visit the site, insider information should not be provided to people, AFOLs or not. Nor should they ID themselves as LEGO employees.
    I know if I was one I would not, mostly because people would be trying to pry info out of you morning noon and night....
    That is just a guess..
    Most stuff I hear from my LEGO store is mostly tongue in cheek, or a casual vague comment, but no elaboration unless I happen to say something they know already and I may get a 'nod' on it.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    @madforlegos works for Lego.... get him! hehe
  • madforLEGOmadforLEGO Chicagoland USMember Posts: 9,356
    Nope I can safely say that I do not work for LEGO store, if I did I would not have any money for food....
  • OdinduskOdindusk Member Posts: 763
    Food is overrated.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    ^^ LEGO retail store employees, in my experience, don't have any insider information anyway - or very little at least. almost without exception I am breaking news to them about new themes, sets, release dates, etc.
  • LegoFanTexasLegoFanTexas TexasMember Posts: 8,409
    You know... I hate to say this, but @dougts is right, I suspect they are repeating what they hear from other customers half the time.

I will say that the managers know their stuff, I feel I get much more informed answers from them, but they are careful to guard their answers sometimes.

I think the main store manager at each store knows more than he/she lets on, and wisely does not share much of it with everyone else working there. If I managed a Lego store, I would hold that tight to the chest as well.
  • JasenJasen Member Posts: 283
    Yeah I was in TRU today and a Rep happened to walk in, she knew what was goin on but I knew more (Thanks Forum :D)
  • HamburgerHamburger Member Posts: 3
    edited December 2011
    hello--
    i am a LEGO Group employee. i don't contribute here, but i do browse. brickset.com discussions are very interesting and valuable; it's one of the first places i check when i come in to work.
  • dougtsdougts Oregon, USAMember Posts: 4,129
    thanks for the drive-by, you lucky LEGO employee!

:-)
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 651
    I don't work for LEGO but can talk from experience of being on other forums from the "other side of fence" so to speak.

Of particular note where the Lotus forums. Very much like this forum, it's members were very knowledgeable and also very informed!!! Often knowing far more than even the dealers. There were some very lively discussions over the years of which some just got crazy!!! As I was from a very proactive dealer I was actively encouraged to post comments.

However from a manufacturers point of view I would be amazed if anybody from LEGO posted openly on here or any forum for that matter. If they do have anything to say it would be via the mods.

Again as per the motor trade forums you can bet that this forum and all the other LEGO related forums are very well monitored by their staff ;)

Just my 2 pence
  • LostInTranslationLostInTranslation UKMember Posts: 5,520
    Judging by the comments of his/hers that I've read, I believe @JP82 has something to do with UK Lego brand stores. Can you give us any info yet on where our new stores are going to be JP? :D
  • bluemoosebluemoose Member Posts: 1,716
    edited December 2011
    There are a couple of LEGO employees on here & the main site that I know of, but I'm not going to 'out' any of them.

In terms of them interacting here, there are company "social media interaction principles" the staff are supposed to follow if they are acting in any kind of official capacity; only those staff that are officially sanctioned are supposed to represent the Company on-line. I've listed the "social media interaction principles" below ... as I understand it, the "Social Drivers License" is an internal course that folk have to pass before they can become part of the "Social Frontline" (a virtual team spread across the entire Company), and "Social Champions" are the senior folk within the "Social Frontline", each responsible for a different part of the Company's on-line strategy.

All staff are also subject to a non-disclosure agreement which they sign when they join the company ... breaching the NDA is a very serious matter & could easily result in them losing their job & any benefits accrued.
    1. In the LEGO Group, we consider clear objective setting as important in social media as in everything else we do.

2. We pride ourselves in creating and sharing “official” LEGO objects of high social quality, and we will also stimulate creation of and promote consumer-created social objects that are in line with LEGO Brand values.

3. We see engagement with consumers in the social space as a commitment and we won’t start a project without first defining an exit strategy to avoid disappointing consumers if we abandon an initiative.

4. LEGO employees in the Social Frontline are connected to each other and each of them know about all social media initiatives that are active across the business.

5. To ensure we engage with consumers in a relevant way, we listen to their dialogue and engage on their terms. We share learnings and “alerts” across the Social Champions network continuously and without delay.

6. We measure the performance of our social media initiatives against set objectives. Execution is adjusted and improved on an ongoing basis.

7. We handle personal data collected in social media in compliance with company guidelines and local legislation.

8. We do not target children under the age of 13 on third-party social media platforms where personal interaction is possible.

9. Dialogue with consumers in the social space is always handled by a LEGO employee with a Social Driver’s License. We do not outsource this dialogue to agencies.

10. We do not pay people (e.g. bloggers) to drive LEGO product, experience or company related engagement on Social Media platforms.
    This was originally posted back in March; with the recent reorganisation within LEGO it may not be entirely up to date, but I've had no information to say it's out of date.
    ... these principles have been formulated to establish clarity among LEGO employees about engagement with consumers in the social space. As I think most individuals and companies do these days, TLG is exploring social media, developing strategies and guidelines for dialogue with consumers and looking at what different social media platforms can offer. One of the outcome of this process so far is the 10 principles which I shared with you ...
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261
    Thanks, Ian - interesting to read the LEGO-specific guidelines on this. Many companies have similar policies, give or take, the concern being that whether or not the employee is speaking as a bona fide company representative and presenting the party line, that's how it'll be interpreted.....
  • ChompersChompers Member Posts: 651
    Thanks indeed @bluemoose the LEGO guidelines seem very similar to many other corporate guide lines for staff interaction on social sites as drdave says above. Have to say I have seen some awful threads in the past where so call company reps get so tangled up they make utter plonkers of themselves!!!

Thankfully this site is a joy to be on only seems to have a very rare issue which is soon sorted by those involved. Long may this continue :)
  • Si_UKNZSi_UKNZ NZMember Posts: 4,179
    I've worked on similar policies for other companies and have never seen anything like this before:

3. We see engagement with consumers in the social space as a commitment and we won’t start a project without first defining an exit strategy to avoid disappointing consumers if we abandon an initiative.

That's a very good policy indeed. Nice one, Lego.

Wise companies take the long view, which is hard to do these days if a company is public due to the pressures of the stock market.

Perhaps this is a good thing that Lego is private, witness the mess that the WebPad from HP was this past summer, no long view there whatsoever, just made the whole company look foolish...
  • YellowcastleYellowcastle Member Posts: 4,401
    ^ That was indeed crazy....and then to announce that they're leaving personal computing altogether!
    ^ Then to come right back and say "whoops, we fired that CEO, now we are staying in the PC business, but we'll give away the whole webOS thing to the open source community and, uh, do nothing with that multi billion dollar investment"

Stupid, I wouldn't invest in HP stock with a 10 foot pole.
  • drdavewatforddrdavewatford Hertfordshire, UKAdministrator Posts: 6,261
    ^ Too right - talk about how NOT to inspire investor confidence.....