Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.com Amazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

Lego appears in children's learn to read book.

Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 570
Came across this in my son's Biff, Chip and Kipper book last night and thought I'd share it. My son was over the moon that Lego appeared in his homework reading book. 
LostInTranslationstluxbookmumsnowhitieClutchPowerew027MooreFXBrownRiceMafiabobabricks

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    I wonder if it predates lego's (The LEGO Group's) fair play guidelines. There are quite a few things wrong with their use.

Wicksy80Switchfoot55
  • Wicksy80Wicksy80 Northern IrelandMember Posts: 570
    I think this was originally published in the 80's with a different cover. 
  • AdzbadboyAdzbadboy London, UKMember Posts: 2,630
    @Wicksy80 What's the title of the book? Maybe a picture of the front cover would help.
    Title is "What a bad dog" Will have to wait till he gets home from school to snap front cover. 
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,824
    I see the story is a tragedy!
    Wicksy80AllBrickTyresOFlahertyricecakeLyonel_McBaseplate11
  • AustinPowersAustinPowers GermanyMember Posts: 278

Don't worry.

Careful examination of the image shows that these are not Lego bricks but Lepin clones. See the missing Lego logo on the studs ;-)

Wicksy80catwranglerTyresOFlahertySwitchfoot55bandit778Jern92OrmskirkBricks
    Wicksy80 said:
    Title is "What a bad dog" Will have to wait till he gets home from school to snap front cover. 
    Thanks, I just found it on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Oxford-Reading-Tree-Level-Stories/dp/0198481187
    Wicksy80
  • bookmumbookmum londonMember Posts: 1,207
    Was the final line "Oh Floppy " because if I remember correctly every Biff and Chip ends like that. That is quite cool  - as the plots of these books are usually not that exciting! The first words my daughter learned to 'read' were mostly brand names and shop names. I don't think TLG would have a problem with the lives of Biff, Chip and Kipper. 
    Wicksy80MaffyD
    That or "Oh No". My son loves them! 
    MaffyD
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,703

Oxford Reading Tree books have been a facet of my parenting life for over a decade. I've read "What a bad dog" to all four of my children and the incident with the Lego always made me smile. My youngest is now past that stage (he's further along, but still reading about Chip, Biff and Kipper) so it was nice to see that page again. I notice there's no registered trademark symbol next to the name...

They do tend to say "Oh no!" quite a lot.

Wicksy80
  • CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 18,312
    Knocking Lego over seems way more interesting than all the Magic Key ones.
    bookmumMaffyD
    I loved these books as a kid, they were great!
    Wicksy80
    "The magic key began to glow..."! " Oh not again "said the children. I was quite pleased my daughter is a good reader and got to skip most of these and go straight to chapter books -  *smug parent * alert! 
  • AyliffeAyliffe the UK innit?Member Posts: 307
    Floppy: enemy of all AFOLS
    Wicksy80
    And then Floppy stood on the lego... 
    Wicksy80
    This could be a whole new thread. Lego in books. I bet Topsy and Tim have got some somewhere! 
    Wicksy80
    Brilliant @bookmum
  • FauchFauch FranceMember Posts: 2,385
    It's not lego, the clutch power is horrible. the thing is already crumbling to pieces and it hasn't finished falling yet.

btw, that, and the spiderman trailer, why people seem to think that lego models disintegrate at the slightest shock?
    Wicksy80Lyonel_McBaseplate11
    Probably most of them haven't played with Lego in 20 years and have vague memories of something delicate coming apart when they applied too much pressure clicking a brick in...
    Bumblepants
    I found a copy in the book room at daughters school. Despite being a large dog who destroys everything in sight including the best model Kipper has ever built - it ends (plot spoiler alert) with Floppy saving the family from the house burning down by barking. Phew! Such an intense plot for an early reader book. 
    Wicksy80catwrangler
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 966
    You'll all be glad to know that Biff and Chip are celebrating 30 years and are still going strong with new books from Oxford Reading Tree.
    bookmum
    30 years! Blimey! So Kipper is a 35 year old bloke now?
    ^who hopefully changed his name by deed poll by now! Who names their kid Kipper?
    catwrangler
    Same one who names the other kid Biff!!
    catwrangler
    Chip is actually called David, Biff is Barbara and Kipper is Christopher. Kipper couldn't pronounce these names when he was little and these have stuck as nicknames. Don't ask me why Chip is a nickname for David. I think there's also some theory about the characters should not have names the same as any child reading the books.
    And now you know!
    davetheoxygenmanbookmumAyliffecatwranglerWicksy80
    @MaffyD is that true? Dave, Babs and Chris!! They sound like a 1960s bunch of kids. Even hipster parents wouldn't name their kid Barbara!! (I'm not insulting the name - mother in law and sister in law both named Barbara!) 
    I really like the name, but it always brings this to mind:

MegtheCat

@bookmum - I got one wrong. Here's a link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-oxfordshire-36561958

That says it's not Barbara, but Elizabeth. And seeing as it's from the writer, I reckon he's right. Huh, the internet was wrong - who would have thought it? :-)

bookmum
    Elizabeth is a better name (it's my mum's name!!!). 
    MaffyD
    Look - 1970s Tim has made a pretend library stamp out of Lego!! 
    catwranglerstluxClutchPowerWicksy80ricecake
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 966
    I think I may have bought that inky piece in a bulk lot from Tim's mum who was sorting out her attic now she's moving to a retirement home.

Tim may have also been responsible for the plasticine stuck up several other 2x4 bricks and several chewed head studs.
    bookmum
    I think it's more likely to be some duplo pieces!! Going by the size vs Tim's hand!