Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Building 3450 Statue of Liberty

MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
 For anyone out there that has built the #3450 Statue of Liberty, I wanted to know if it is possible to make it out of one by one bricks and one by two plates. I'm only talking about the face, Body and arm, not the torch light that's in yellow. Thoughts?

Comments

• SprinkleOtterSprinkleOtter Member Posts: 2,709
    MorkMan said:
     For anyone out there that has built the #3450 Statue of Liberty, I wanted to know if it is possible to make it out of one by one bricks and one by two plates. I'm only talking about the face, Body and arm, not the torch light that's in yellow. Thoughts?
    I don't think it's possible...
  • MorkManMorkMan Phoenix, Arizona, USAMember Posts: 853
    @sprinkleOtter what's missing?
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 308
    Looking at the Bricklink inventory, it isn't. The 1x2 technic bricks, slopes, jumper plates, etc will throw that off. Even if you have those, overlapping homemade "bricks" made of three stacked 1x2 plates isn't at all structurally sound.  I have a small townhouse made of a ton of exactly those, and not only are the walls delicate, but there's the wavy factor of the plates.  Think the annoying wavy aspect of a wall of 1x2 bricks, then multiply it by the factor of each brick being made of 3 plates.  You'll see them individually.  Bricks and Pieces should be back up to order bricks from en masse now that the holidays are over so you can get up to the 1x4 bricks. I'm not sure about the slopes and jumpers and other sand green bricks.  If you're thinking of simply going to your local Lego store and loading a couple of PAB cups with 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates from the wall, I think you may find yourself out of luck with both how the end product will look as well as the actual building experience. 
    We had one customer build the Taj Mahal that way, and it took him 1. ages to do so, 2. about 50 trips to the store to see what was new on the wall, 3. ending up ordering from PAB, B&P, and Bricklink after all was said and done anyway.
    If you do decide to try it, let us know how it goes.  I think it'll be harder then you anticipate, though. 
    The non-bricks (slopes, etc.) would be ordered through BL. But I think the whole idea of doing it with only the 1x1 bricks still could work out. It was always the plan to Kragle it together, so the sturdiness isn't the factor, but the aesthetic look is. The math on the 1x1 bricks only comes to $122 themselves. 
  • MrJacksonMrJackson Member Posts: 308
    So we had a customer yesterday that came in and restocked sand green 1x2 plates from the PAB Wall. I actually referenced this thread and he said it was possible as he'd done it. So take that for what it's worth. Let us know if you embark on this project!
    MorkMankiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I built a smaller Statue of Liberty freehand while visiting Edmonton when I went to the PAB wall. It's pretty difficult to get much texture out of it, but you can do pretty much anything with 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates, many would be surprised.
    I built a smaller Statue of Liberty freehand while visiting Edmonton when I went to the PAB wall. It's pretty difficult to get much texture out of it, but you can do pretty much anything with 1x1 bricks and 1x2 plates, many would be surprised.
    I agree. Almost every sand green piece in the build (save the cones and angled pieces) is able to be created through those bricks and plates. I'm going to embark on it. 
    bobabricks
  • ChgoMattChgoMatt USAMember Posts: 108
    Sounds like a great "Planet of the Apes" final scene MOC!
  • stefxanstefxan AustriaMember Posts: 49
    I took several runs at BL and BO and the price for some of the parts is far away from my budget. 
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,434
    stefxan said:
    I took several runs at BL and BO and the price for some of the parts is far away from my budget. 
    Which parts were the most expensive?
    The 4 sand green bricks with part number 3063 are only used in the statue of liberty. The cheapest price today on BL is 75 / part. So it is 300 to finish the ring for the flames in original sand green.....
    And you will need 126 pieces of part number 3007. For this amount you have to go up to 2,5 per piece. This is another 300 Dollars.... to be continued up to more then 2K
    I'm not looking for exact parts in my build. The 3063 would be tough to replicate in just plates and 1x1 bricks. But the 3007 is a 1x8 which just takes 16 1x1's to replicate. 
    The macaroni 3063 (shown here in red) will be interesting. Where is it used?
    Ah ok. You mean macaroni as a color? Can´t see this in BL´s "Known Colors" List. Is it allowed to post BL Links here?
    I meant if there are four of that macaroni part needed in sand green it could be difficult to "make them" out of 1x1 sand green bricks instead. I don't want to pay $300 for four parts. 
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    edited February 2017
    The sand green macaroni part is returning this summer in the Elves line. If you can wait until August it will cost about $299 less to get those parts.
    stefxanpharmjodkiki180703
    The sand green macaroni part is returning this summer in the Elves line. If you can wait until August it will cost about $299 less to get those parts.
    That´s great news. How do you get such information?
  • BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,554
    stefxan said:
    Just carefully looking over the leaked images. In the Goblin King Fortress the foundation layer of the set shows them clearly.
    stefxankiki180703
    So you should sell your statue now for an obscure price if you have one because later on it will be easier to rebuild ;-)
    MorkMankiki18070377ncaachamps
    This is why I love Brickset. 
    pharmjodstefxankiki18070377ncaachamps
  • SirBenSirBen In the Hall of the Mountain KingMember Posts: 546
    stefxan said:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/brothers-brick/32974380825/in/album-72157680487561375/
    Aha. Thanks. I see them at the bottom.