Please refrain from posting animated GIFs, memes, joke videos and so on in discussions other than those in the off topic area.

Dismiss this message to confirm your acceptance of this additional forum term of use.

Anyone ever build a "modern version" of an older set?

CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 350
Modern meaning how Lego does things nowadays as opposed to the 80s and 90s.

I've seriously considered building a "modern" verison of old Town sets, as the ideas behind a number of them are great, but, would look very awkward next to modern City stuff. I actually do wish Lego would revisit some of those old 90s Town sets, and, give them a modern throwback.

With that out of the way, I was curious if any of you have actually done such a thing. 

Comments

• BumblepantsBumblepants Sofia BG/Dallas TXMember Posts: 5,544
    I have seen some really good ones on Flickr in the past but can't recall who made them. I have been toying with a couple projects along these lines in the works but won't have anything worth showing until this summer at the earliest.
    MaffyDCaptainLegobobabrickskiki180703tallblocktoo
  • monkey_roomonkey_roo Member Posts: 1,353
    Sure, i built a 'modern' version of Eldorado Fort and Pirate island a few months back, images are in the builders thread here somewhere, you might need to scroll back a bit though.

Basically took the original models as inspiration then used modern pieces, build technics, colours and styles to build a updated version but making sure there were clear nods back to the original models, mostly in some of the features and architecture. good fun.
    BumblepantsCaptainLegocatwranglerkiki180703
  • dragologerdragologer U.S.AMember Posts: 133
    i really want to make a version of good old 720 from the 80's
    CaptainLegokiki180703
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 489
    edited February 2017
    Are has made a habit of doing just that. Updating the Classics and more on his Flickr 

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632953134804
    catwranglerAllBrickMaffyDCaptainLegoBuriedinBrickskiki180703Galactus
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,404
    ^^What a great collection, the buildings are fantastic.

I will be watching my back though, don't want to run into the campers from page 3.
    CaptainLego
  • DeMontesDeMontes North YorkshireMember Posts: 489
    @AllBrick Are presented his Updating the Classics builds at AFOLCON and he is a funny guy, I remember laughing at that...
    AllBrickCaptainLegokiki180703
  • MaffyDMaffyD West YorkshireMember Posts: 2,426
    ^ Ooh, I'll have to take a look at that when I have some time - thanks for the update, Elspeth!
    DeMonteskiki180703
  • OldfanOldfan Chicagoland, IL, USAMember Posts: 612

Check out neoclassic space (either its own site or the flickr site) for very well-done models based on our favorite classic Lego theme.  I have not created any of these models or anything like them...

MaffyDCaptainLegocatwranglerkiki180703
  • TechnicNickTechnicNick Berkshire, UKMember Posts: 277
    Had some fun making this a while ago:

http://www.moc-pages.com/moc.php/426882

A smaller #853 with studless pieces. Works the same way as the original.
    AllBrickCaptainLegocatwranglerkiki180703tallblocktooGalactus
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 350
    DeMontes said:
    Are has made a habit of doing just that. Updating the Classics and more on his Flickr 

https://flickr.com/photos/[email protected]/sets/72157632953134804
    Thanks for sharing the link!
    DeMonteskiki180703
  • bobabricksbobabricks Vancouver, BC, CanadaMember Posts: 1,836
    I was thinking of modernizing the airport shuttle monorail when I had it, if I'm able to get another good deal on a monorail I'll probably do it.
    CaptainLego
  • VorpalRyuVorpalRyu AustraliaMember Posts: 2,184
    Thinking I might have to give this a go with a few of my old space sets, sort of did something like that, but as Microfighters.
    CaptainLegoOldfan
  • CaptainLegoCaptainLego FloridaMember Posts: 350
    edited February 2017
    Seeing as how I eventually want to start building structures+being into cars, I wouldn't mind attempting my own modern version of 6561 Hot Rod Club. 2140 would also be a fun one as well.