Shopping at LEGO or Amazon?
Please use our links: LEGO.comAmazon
As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.

CMF series collecting advice?

redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 729
Question for anyone really..how do you collect yours?
I'm thinking of working back from 13 to 1...is going a whole series at a time without buying ..going to be a bit more difficult?...are people willing and able to trade whole series at a time or is trading 1 or 2 figures for all 13 series at once going to be the more realistic route?

I've not decided yet but might have a couple of licensed series and about 100 polys to trade..
Your thoughts are appreciated..
Thanks

Comments

• CCCCCC UKMember Posts: 19,115
    I'd go for all at once, as otherwise you might end up dealing with the same person multiple times for figures from different series. 
    madforLEGO
  • SumoLegoSumoLego New YorkMember Posts: 13,261
    pharmjod said:
    My only suggestion to you is run. Run now.
    And don't look back.

(Or just start at S10 moving forward, and take advantage of trades or purchases that happen to cross your path.  Ugh.  I am such an enabler.)

If you are going the 'nickel and dime' route, you'll find yourself paying a substantial amount for a certain few CMFs.  And probably ending up with extras of the common figures. I'm not sure if acquiring those individuals are cheaper or more expensive than acquiring full sets.

I enjoy the chase of the trade... but can see that the hassle may not be worth your time.

Good luck!
    catwranglerJern92ClutchPowerGoldchains
  • sweetness34sweetness34 San Diego, CA.Member Posts: 331
    When I started collecting the CMF line it was already series 9. I just bit the bullet and bought the previous 8 series from eBay. this saved time and shipping costs.
  • mmozzanommozzano UKMember Posts: 413
    I didn't start until series 11 however I just went back and picked the figures I actually liked rather than try and be a completionist.
    And don't discover Team GB and the DFB series!
    William_TownsleySumoLegoAdeelZubairMynatt77ncaachampsWookie2Jern92ClutchPowerGoldchains
  • redarmyredarmy AberdeenMember Posts: 729
    Cheers guys...thats the problem..not sure how far back to go...if i do just pick the ones i like from other series theres a probability that i wont stop there...as for all the off-shoots...strangely they dont bother me..other than maybe disney which i might trade and batman which i definitely will..
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    Raise your hand if you have tons of CMF's to sell to this guy.....

(My I start you off with a lovely set of DFB's?)
    YodaliciousClutchPowerGoldchains
    ecmo47 said:

Nice try...if i do,it will only the original series,no interest in the other stuff..thanks for the kind offer though ; )
    For those who bought full sets...where did you buy them?...generally ebay?
    eBay or bricklink are good for full sets. It is worth checking how much it will cost to get full sets by buying individually, as some sellers charge a premium for full sets.
    madforLEGOYodaliciousClutchPowerGoldchains
  • AllBrickAllBrick UKMember Posts: 1,424
    edited January 2017
    I missed out on everything before S10/11 thanks to the dark ages.
    Managed to find a complete S1 crash test dummy and team GB boxer (among others. Butcher, royal guard etc) in mixed lots during last year so I would suggest buying a random mixed box, or 10.
  • LuLegoLuLego UKMember Posts: 991
    ecmo47 said:

Joking aside, this might be the best route. Posting a list of your trade items in the market place here for people to see may be fruitful.

Even with postage, and assuming you trade a few at a time,  it'll probably work out cheaper than eBay. 

Plus as @SumoLego suggests, the chase is part of collecting.
    SprinkleOtter
  • sid3windrsid3windr BelgiumMember Posts: 1,452
    I started at S16. :| I now have S16, S15, Disney and TLBM and a few older loose ones ... I didn't plan on going back, only forwards, but now I might go back a few more series... maybe... (once I work out how to store/display those things! I don't even have a wall to hang Ribba frames off of :D)
    Pumpkin_3CK5josekalel
  • Coolguy5000Coolguy5000 Ireland Member Posts: 1,541
    edited January 2017
    I only started getting full sets at series 12. I have a bunch of others all the way up from series 1.
  • Ma1234Ma1234 Member Posts: 693
    Thankful I started right away with Series 1. This could have gotten expensive!! 
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 784
    edited January 2017
    I started at Series 9, then picked out a few sealed ones from the past series on ebay. As for series 10 and on, I promised myself I'd only get the ones I definitely want/like,  but in the end I couldn't stop myself from feeling those bags up for complete sets, and a few extras,  haha.
    Legogramdspigel
    I might just go back to 10 or 11...as that is when it seems to start to get a wee bit expensive..and maybe only pick up the suited guys from the previous series to that....maybe!
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    Is it possible to piece together Series 1 CMFs using BAM bins or culling from other sets?

I think you should be able to except for the printed torso and legs, right?
    I think it really depends on what you want to do with them.

If you are going to display them, are you going to display by series? If so, you are going to need all of a series. And if you do that, then it can look a bit odd if you number the series unless you start at 1. Whereas if you are going to display them as one mixed up collection, then you can dip in and out of earlier series maybe missing out the expensive ones. Alternatively, you can display by type - eg. suited characters, civilian jobs, sports, historical, etc. If you do that, you can also dip in and out of earlier series as you like, missing the expensive ones, and the display still looks nicely themed. For example, if you like the civilian jobs, there are loads of earlier series ones still available relatively cheaply. Some get expensive (like the businessman) so just skip him. This type of display also allows a little creativity and addition of other non-CMF figures figures - eg. buy a Kid Gamer from Dimensions and he pairs well with the CMF gamer. Do you really want a businessman? Put in a guy in a suit with a briefcase and newspaper.
  • MAGNINOMINISUMBRAMAGNINOMINISUMBRA Member Posts: 993
    Unless you need them minty fresh, definitely keep an eye out in bulk lots. On at least four occasions I've had bulk lots where the value of loose (but complete) series 1-3 figs have outweighed the cost of purchasing the whole lot. Happy days are those!
    TheFewAllBrick
  • TheFewTheFew EnglandMember Posts: 1,526
    I am on the same journey, so this thread is an interesting read. Luckily for me I have Series 5 and then 9 onwards and have recently been able to conduct some trades so I am now down to needing just 69 figures (I think). I was also lucky in happening to get a Series 8 business man as a gift some time ago. So that is one expensive figure out of the way. My issue will be paying for some of the other expensive ones like Lady Liberty. Whilst I cannot help being a completionist, I will struggle bringing my self to pay any more than £10 a figure!!!
    AllBrick
    TheFew said:
    I am on the same journey, so this thread is an interesting read. Luckily for me I have Series 5 and then 9 onwards and have recently been able to conduct some trades so I am now down to needing just 69 figures (I think). I was also lucky in happening to get a Series 8 business man as a gift some time ago. So that is one expensive figure out of the way. My issue will be paying for some of the other expensive ones like Lady Liberty. Whilst I cannot help being a completionist, I will struggle bringing my self to pay any more than £10 a figure!!!
    But unfortunately you know you probably will..as will i unless i have something great to trade...near £30 for Bumblebee girl...geez!
    TheFewAllBrick
    (Run away!  Run away!)
    redarmypharmjodSprinkleOtterAdeelZubairGoldchains
    I.Wish.It.Was.That.Simple.
    SumoLegoGoldchains
  • sirrich69sirrich69 Member Posts: 476
    some great comments here, and it really does depend on what you want to do with them.

quickly putting some figures out there, and making some big assumptions. i.e. you don't have any at all from S1 to S13.

S1-S13 is 208 minifigures to collect. assume average £4 per figure. Then total cost is £832. You are probably looking at more than that. There is some low hanging fruit. I am surprised on the prices of some S2,S3, S4 and S5 figures, you can pick up some for around £2 each.

The best bet if you have non and you want a complete series would be to buy a complete series as if you trade buy individual figures you will be buying trading for a long time.

The secret is to keep an eye out on ebay, gumtree, car boot etc etc! and buy when you see a good deal. It is the classic adage however when you are looking for something the prices are sky high, when you don't look prices are reasonable.
    catwrangler
    ^ I only got to £832..i think my nose started to bleed and i developed a lego induced numbness in my lower body..
    catwrangler
    I'll be sure to take on board your advice @sirrich69...
  • jigglypuffjigglypuff Member Posts: 28
    if you enjoy the chase, then don't forget about Mr. Gold!!

Also, there was the Toy Soldier (so cute) and Zombie Skateboarder included with books
    Is the Toy Soldier worth much?
    Nope, about £8 normally.
    TheFew
    Schucks
    Mynatt
  • Pumpkin_3CK5Pumpkin_3CK5 CaliforniaMember Posts: 784
    About  $20 summin' for King Leonidas! Why is that? Is it cause of his helmet?
  • MattPetersenMattPetersen Florida, USAMember Posts: 282
    I started at set 5.

but I decided to only collect the monsters and mythologicals, literary archetypes, and costumes individuals, with a few random ones that catch my eye.
    i don't feel the need to complete each set. 
    catwrangler
  • JodyJody Eastern USAMember Posts: 104
    I enjoy putzing around on the trading sites. I try to trade for 2 at a time to keep the shipping at $1.31 or less each. 
  • stluxstlux LuxembourgMember Posts: 2,358
    Echoing others here I can confirm that buying complete series is definitely cheaper than trying to puzzle them together one (or more) minifig(s) at a time. And a lot less money spent on postal charges.

An advantage of building up your CMF collection slowly is that you can spread out the cost more; however don't try to add up at the end what your total outlay was!
    sid3windrWookie2
  • CircleKCircleK U.S. - Columbus, OhioMember Posts: 1,055
    I started at set 5.

but I decided to only collect the monsters and mythologicals, literary archetypes, and costumes individuals, with a few random ones that catch my eye.

I originally started with classic Monsters to populate my Haunted House.  My first full series was S7 and I worked backwards from there. Several series later and I wish I would have never gotten on this crazy train of completing each set. I really wish now I would have just stuck to Monsters, Mythology, Occupations, and the occasional Historical.
    SumoLegoMattPetersen
    ^ Must complete all sets...
    pharmjod
  • Wookie2Wookie2 Leeds, UKMember Posts: 197
    I only recently finished my CMF collection which I had bought over time. Some came from Ebay job lots whilst others came from Bricklink and Brickowl. The hardest ones I found were the Team GB ones; DfB (German Football) ones; Series 10 Bumblebee Girl; Series 2 Spartan; Series 6 Roman Soldier; Series 2 Skier; Series 1 Zombie; Series 1 Nurse; & Series 1 Circus Clown.

The way I went about it though was I knew the price I wanted to pay and rarely went over it (at maximum it was around £12 and that was only for difficult to find/generally expensive ones - my Bumblebee Girl came from a trade and my Nurse & Brawny Boxer came from a job lot). It's hard work and time consuming but possible. If you want a complete collection straight away though then as others have said it would definitely be cheaper to buy each series outright if possible (particularly Series 1; Team GB; & DfB as most in those sets are expensive to acquire).

I try not to think about how much my collection has cost me over time and as they say ignorance is bliss. The one I do know I'll probably never acquire for 100% completion is Mr Gold as he is way out of my price range but that doesn't bother me too much.
  • catwranglercatwrangler Northern IrelandMember Posts: 1,854
    I started at set 5.

This is pretty much what I actively collect; most other figures I'll hang onto to populate my scenes or to cannibalise the parts, and doubles or the very occasional figure I don't like at all go into the trading pile.
    MattPetersen
    S14 & 15 complete...so now the journey begins....see you all on the other side..
    pharmjod77ncaachampsSumoLegostluxcatwranglerGoldchains
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    May god have mercy on your soul... er I mean wallet.
    77ncaachampsSumoLegostluxGothamConstructionCocatwranglerTyresOFlahertyGoldchains
  • 77ncaachamps77ncaachamps Aspiring Time Traveler Stuck in the West (US)Member Posts: 2,442
    redarmy said:
    S14 & 15 complete...so now the journey begins....see you all on the other side..
    Snag the UK Olympic and German Football team as cheaply and quickly as you can.
    SumoLego
  • pharmjodpharmjod 1,170 miles to Wall Drug, USAMember Posts: 2,912
    Meh. I have all the series but those and I don't feel I'm missing any thing at all. Particularly with the soccer team. 
    CircleKSumoLego
    ^ Suuuuuuuuure.  

Probably don't have a Mr. Gold and the Toy Soldier.  And the vintage minifigure collections, TRU minifigure collections...
    77ncaachampsgmonkey76
  • samiam391samiam391 A log cabin in PA, United StatesMember Posts: 4,348
    @redarmy - I'm not sure how fast you're trying to get this done, but I've got a 100% complete CMF collection that I've been considering selling. I've got every single figure from all the series, including Mr. Gold.

If that's something you'd be interested in, feel free to get in touch.
    SumoLegoTyresOFlaherty
    Where's the fun in acquiring everything at once?

The chase of hunting them down over a period of months and years...and paying top dollar and redundant shipping costs...that's the fun! ;p
    TyresOFlaherty
    @samiam391...thanks for the offer...think I'll torture myself unnecessarily...but who knows
  • ecmo47ecmo47 North CarolinaMember Posts: 2,101
    SumoLego said:
    ^ Suuuuuuuuure.  

Probably don't have a Mr. Gold and the Toy Soldier.  And the vintage minifigure collections, TRU minifigure collections...
    Target cube collections......
    Th1nDieselgmonkey76
    For the guys/girls that started later in the series then went back to complete...was it worth it?